Author Topic: Help Setting Up a USB Wi-fi Adapter  (Read 2674 times)

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
Help Setting Up a USB Wi-fi Adapter
« on: April 04, 2011, 08:38:58 PM »
I am in need of help. I've searched online and I've found a couple instances where people have the same problem, but I have not found one solution. Maybe there's someone here that knows what they are doing that could help. This person describes the problem perfectly.

I want to get my Wii online, so I bought one of these:

https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...e=STRK:MEWNX:IT

It didn't come with any kind of installation CD or anything, but a sticker on the box said to download the driver from here:

https://driverdownload168.com/

It's the second one down, GNDSLITEAD01. I'm running Windows 7 64 bit so I installed the Vista 64x driver, no problems there. I then ran the setup program, which installed the configuration utility, still no problems. But when I try to run the utility, it appears in the taskbar for half a second, then vanishes. Checking the task manager, I discover that it's already running in the processes list. I ended it, and tried running it again, the process started, it appeared in the taskbar, then vanished. I ran it as administrator, and in compatibility mode with Vista and XP, same thing.

I have to change the mode from Station to Access Point as shown in the pdf instructions to make it do what I want, however I don't know how to do that manually, or if it's even possible. I'm guessing that it is but I'd have to muck around with some settings file and I don't want to screw anything up. I don't really care if I can get the utility running or not as long as I can change it to an access point somehow, so any help on how to do either is greatly appreciated.

Anything?

Offline Deve

Re: Help Setting Up a USB Wi-fi Adapter
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 09:17:33 PM »
Oh god, the Nintendo Wii USB Wifi Connector. I had one before I got wireless internet in my house, and it was a nightmare to get up and running.

First thing you HAVE to make sure you do is run it as an administrator (right click and hit "run as administrator"). If I remember correctly (as this was several years ago), it solved the vanishing taskbar thing for me. If it doesn't, try connecting the wii to it anyways, it's worth a shot. Make sure to put it under connection 3 on the Wii, it seems to work better for some reason. If that doesn't work, make sure you've got the right drivers for the right system (32 vs. 64 bit). Another possibility is to get a wireless router, it's so much easier :biggrin:

But seriously, another thing you can try is right clicking the taskbar, hitting properties, go to the "Notification Area" tab, and uncheck "hide inactive icons". If that doesn't work, try uninstalling then re-installing all components of the software. If THAT doesn't work, then I'm out of ideas.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 09:26:02 PM »
Thanks for the reply. I managed to get it working by running the whole thing through a virtual PC that runs XP. I guess they just left this stuff behind since Windows 7 has come out. This is the only way I can get my DS online on campus though.

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 05:34:09 AM »
Nice.
So you're on now?
Wii
and
DS?
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 08:11:20 AM »
Just DS. But now my DS can't get an IP address. I don't think this is going to work. :(

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2011, 08:33:03 AM »
I think I might be able to help, was it you I described the solution to in another thread?

You need to go on to your pc.
get a DOS/RUN screen and type IPCONFIG

then, put all that info manually into you're DS wi-fi settings screen

Then...when you get to the IP number on the DS put it in like it appears on your IP config screen, BUT..add a "ten digit" to the final three numbers.

so.
Lets say your IP address on the PC IPCONFIG screen says..   192.255.219.140  those last three digits in your DS add would be (.150) instead of (.140) you understand?

I had to do this for every DS I added to my home network giving each of them a different last 3 digits up or down by ten from the IP on my pc.

I hope that wasn't too confusing.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2011, 02:28:49 PM »
I tried that already, it didn't work. :( I'm pretty sure I put in all the right numbers too.

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2011, 05:48:07 AM »
hmm well damn.

Damn.

what's the error code you're getting on your DS, have you looked it up?

Happy Lives to you all.