Author Topic: Coin Collectors  (Read 1516 times)

Offline icysk8r

• DTF Resident Magician
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • www.bedeceived.com
Coin Collectors
« on: April 03, 2011, 02:55:06 PM »
Are any of you guys coin collectors?  I used to collect the state coins, but that didn't last too long.  I have a few cool coins fo rmy magic, and am looking to expand my collection of awesome looking coins.

In this thread:  Make suggestions on awesome looking coins and share your collections
www.bedeceived.com

ZOMG WHAT'S AT BEDECEIVED.COM?

I DUNNO!  CLICK THE DARNED LINK TO FIND OUT!

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
Re: Coin Collectors
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2011, 02:57:04 PM »
My mom has all the state coins, and we're Canadian, so that wasn't an easy task. :biggrin:

Offline Rina

• DTF.org Member
  • ~
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2011, 03:01:22 PM »
I have a coin collection! I have coins from all over the Carribean, Asia, Canada, one from Israel, England/etc.

Some paper money too, but not much.  :laugh:

Offline j

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2011, 03:02:42 PM »
I used to collect coins, my dad got me into it, but I haven't added anything to my collection for several years now.  I have almost complete sets of Mercury dimes, standing liberties, Jefferson nickels, Kennedy halves, Morgan dollars, Lincoln pennies, and several other US coins.

My favorite coin is a 1909 S-VDB penny.  It's by far the most valuable Lincoln penny, worth around 500 bucks I think.  My dad told me about it and how rare it was a long time ago and as a kid, obviously that one rarest coin became my focus.  Every coin show he'd take me to, I'd scour the place and I eventually found one that had been mistakenly put in a bargain box, which is pretty unbelievable.  I ended up telling the guy and offering him a hundred bucks for it, which he agreed to (possibly 'cause I was like 12 years old), and was still a steal for me.

-J

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2011, 03:04:26 PM »
I am five pennies short of the complete Lincoln Wheatback set, from 1909 to 1956.

(I would kill to have a 1909 S-VDB, but do have the P-VDB)

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2011, 03:09:13 PM »
I don't have coins but I always enjoy looking at people's coin collections.

I am in the process of collecting some paper money from every currency currently in circulation in the and making a poster with the money for my office.

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2011, 03:13:30 PM »
My grandfather purchased the mint set of each year for me beginning with the year I was born and continuing through high school graduation. My wife however inherited a very large collection of civil war era coins including some CSA restrikes, some of them are worth tens of thousands of dollars. I'm not sure what the total value of her coins are exactly.
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2011, 04:27:11 PM »
Started collecting the state coins when I was 5 or 6, now have them all.  Don't collect coins otherwise though.

Offline Fuzzboy

• I'm keepin the damn christmas avatar
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2011, 04:45:59 PM »
I've got coins from all South American countries, most Central American countries and a bunch from random Asian countries.
women cops are a joke

to get a boner is just put pressure on the dick

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2011, 11:25:24 PM »
Here in Europe, many people try to collect coins with the reverse motives from all countries who use the Euro. Not easy at all, especially when it comes to the small coins (1 ct, 2 ct, 5 ct).
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline Rina

• DTF.org Member
  • ~
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2011, 10:55:48 AM »
Here in Europe, many people try to collect coins with the reverse motives from all countries who use the Euro. Not easy at all, especially when it comes to the small coins (1 ct, 2 ct, 5 ct).

Holy crap, that sounds tedious. But fun. I guess.  :|

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2011, 06:58:55 PM »
I have a coin jar (actually a box), and one day I wondered whether I had all state coins. I did! So, I gave it as a Christmas present to my sister, in one of those plastic maps you snap the coins into.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline ddtonfire

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2011, 04:16:27 PM »
I'm a coin collector. Some of the prides of my collection are:
1798 large cent
1803 half cent
1996-W roosevelt dime
1885-CC morgan from the GSA hoard
1909 quarter eagle

The coolest thing I've ever found in circulation was a 2003 lincoln cent proof.

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2011, 01:47:18 AM »
I also collect state coins... whenever any friend goes to the US I give him the list of the ones I'm missing to see if they can bring back any. Apart from that, I have some stuff from the late 1800s/early 1900s that I'm pretty proud of. Not really an active collector though, I mostly inherited my parents' stuff and added some of my own when traveling.

Offline TheCor

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2011, 03:26:22 AM »
I have collected coins years ago, they're still in a box at my parents' house but I haven't done much with them in years.  I began collection the state quarters when they first started coming out but lost interest in coins in general shortly after that.  I remember I have semi-complete collections of indian head pennies, lincoln pennies, liberty dimes, ummm a handful of others I can't think of at the moment.  I did find a '57 silver certificate dollar bill in circulation last week; it's in damn good condition considering it's a piece of paper that's been used as currency for 54 years.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2011, 06:15:19 AM »
I have a quarter from every year all the way back to 1954.

I also have all the state quarters in a map.