Author Topic: School Thread  (Read 14842 times)

Offline Kura

• (●ゝω・)ノ ♡
Re: School Thread
« Reply #70 on: March 30, 2011, 10:16:49 PM »
9 average first semester in High School... working on a 92-93 this semester. I'm taking two grade ten classes in addition to three grade nines (AD Math and Civics/Careers)... still not occupied 24/7. My plan at this point is to take all of the University Sciences and Maths and finish HS a semester early, giving me time to make some money working or find a useful co-op placement. Hopefully I'll go to a good University (most likely in the States or elsewhere - I don't know of any schools in Canada for what I'm looking into) and get a masters in Engineering Physics (at some point also a Ph.D), and end up an Engineering Physicist working in the area of Nanotechnology.

Have you looked into the University of Waterloo? (In Canada) They have a good engineering program (very specialized), I hear.. reeeally competitive though (only accept people like an average of 90%+ ) I know my brother's waiting to hear back from them to see if he got accepted or not.

Offline True Death of Life

• The hair, the legend
« Reply #71 on: March 30, 2011, 10:19:13 PM »
School is poop, they're taking out electives possibly. :P

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #72 on: March 30, 2011, 11:40:01 PM »
I do watch the french broadcast of the Habs games, though. They're much better than the english ones.

I'll bet! *is jealous despite being a Flames fan*
Quote from: Jamesman42
Global Laziness: Speaks for Canada
Quote from: black_floyd
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #73 on: March 31, 2011, 01:47:43 AM »
Since I dropped out of school last year I haven't really done much, but my big plan has always been to continue study this fall.
However problems started to emerge as soon as I started meeting with Studying-counselors. (not sure if that is the proper English word for it)
Anyhow, since I live like 200m from the city-border to the city where I'm aiming to study in, I need to print out a form, write a personal letter and send in to my city, and get them to sign it - allowing me to study over there.
Hopefully I'll get it done during the weekend, but it's kinda frustrating. :/

Offline nightmare_cinema

• I'm Raiderrrrrrrrr
« Reply #74 on: March 31, 2011, 05:33:53 AM »
my dissertation on gender and progressive metal

Love it.

So did the examiners :metal
Every story needs to have an ending, we might as well give up all this pretending and clear the air...

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • şağ besta sem guğ hefur skapağ er nır dagur
« Reply #75 on: March 31, 2011, 06:08:26 AM »
Ah just a couple people in the english program there
And I'm from just outside of Windsor  :D

Parlez-vous français?
Bien sur.  ;)

I'm doing a major in economics at Université Laval. I love it.

Do you mean bien sûr? :D

You and me go parallel, together and apart

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #76 on: March 31, 2011, 06:33:29 AM »
Studying Economics (NOT BUSINESS DAMMIT  :censored NO GRANDMA, I DON'T LEARN TO MAKE BALANCE SHEETS), second/third year now (doing courses of both years, since I failed a couple last year :p). Not quite sure what I want to do after my bachelor, but I'm looking into a masters degree in Behavioural Economics at the moment because I really enjoyed the course on it that I had. Might go for a phd, but I'm not sure if they would want me with my average grades :p.

Offline Aramatheis

• The lighter's dead
  • DTF.org Member
  • and the gas has been cut off
« Reply #77 on: March 31, 2011, 07:04:06 AM »
Ah just a couple people in the english program there
And I'm from just outside of Windsor  :D

Parlez-vous français?
Bien sur.  ;)

I'm doing a major in economics at Université Laval. I love it.
La belle province  :metal

my dissertation on gender and progressive metal

Love it.

So did the examiners :metal
:tup

I do watch the french broadcast of the Habs games, though. They're much better than the english ones.

I'll bet!
Yeah the English commentators sound like idiots compared to the RDS guys

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #78 on: March 31, 2011, 12:08:16 PM »
I'm a second year at UC Davis

Take a class taught by Dr. Charlie Bamforth.  if you can't get motivated to get an A in one of his courses, you are completely hopeless as a human being.

Offline Rina

• DTF.org Member
  • ~
« Reply #79 on: March 31, 2011, 01:03:23 PM »
Can someone who's good at math and/or pharmacy/medical related subject please PM me? I'm doomed.  :sadpanda:

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #80 on: March 31, 2011, 01:04:52 PM »
MATH! PM me.

Offline MetalMike06

• DT.net Member
« Reply #81 on: March 31, 2011, 01:22:26 PM »
Haven't read the rest of the thread, but for the OP, I was in a similar situation a couple semesters ago (hell, my GPA is still crappy because of that, trying to recover). It can feel daunting but you can lift yourself out of the hole.
This is my first semester outside of community college. Geography major (B.Sc.)/Anthrop. minor at UMKC. I've got all A's and one B right now...so things are going pretty good. It's kinda funny, I'm doing way better at uni than I was at comm. college. Taking Music Appreciation, American Fiction, 'Understanding the Earth' (physical geography, basically) + lab section, and Human Geography. Really enjoying the classes for the most part.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 01:29:10 PM by MetalMike06 »

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • şağ besta sem guğ hefur skapağ er nır dagur
« Reply #82 on: March 31, 2011, 01:37:07 PM »
Can someone who's good at math and/or pharmacy/medical related subject please PM me? I'm doomed.  :sadpanda:
I could help you with math...

You and me go parallel, together and apart

Offline Nic35

• Which seat can I take =/ ?
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #83 on: March 31, 2011, 01:48:22 PM »
Jesus Christ himself* comes down amidst a choir of 2 billion angels singing Handel's Hallelujah chorus. As KrotchRaut shred randomly on guitars made of dragon bones using picks made from God's kidney stones, Jesus heals a blind woman who promptly gives birth onstage to a creation of pure light.

*Yes, Jesus Christ himself. Nothing less will do.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #84 on: March 31, 2011, 01:50:17 PM »
This semester is kicking my ass. I am taking more hours than ever before, and have more work in all my classes than ever before. I have also been making careless mistakes here and there when it comes to assignments and due dates, which is uncharacteristic of me.

But you know what? I'm busting my ass like never before trying to make sure I do well and meet all my goals. Whatever happens happens.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 04:42:39 PM by TheOutlawXanadu »
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Pirate

• Yeah buddy
« Reply #85 on: March 31, 2011, 01:51:17 PM »
9 average first semester in High School... working on a 92-93 this semester. I'm taking two grade ten classes in addition to three grade nines (AD Math and Civics/Careers)... still not occupied 24/7. My plan at this point is to take all of the University Sciences and Maths and finish HS a semester early, giving me time to make some money working or find a useful co-op placement. Hopefully I'll go to a good University (most likely in the States or elsewhere - I don't know of any schools in Canada for what I'm looking into) and get a masters in Engineering Physics (at some point also a Ph.D), and end up an Engineering Physicist working in the area of Nanotechnology.

Have you looked into the University of Waterloo? (In Canada) They have a good engineering program (very specialized), I hear.. reeeally competitive though (only accept people like an average of 90%+ ) I know my brother's waiting to hear back from them to see if he got accepted or not.
I was thinking something better than that...

Offline Aramatheis

• The lighter's dead
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #86 on: March 31, 2011, 01:54:05 PM »

I'm completely serious. All the English sportsnet/tsn/etc. hockey commentators and analysts I've heard sounds like buffoons.

Offline Kura

• (●ゝω・)ノ ♡
« Reply #87 on: March 31, 2011, 07:27:45 PM »

I was thinking something better than that...

Sorry wouldn't know. I didn't get into that ._. I'm doing traditional classic animation. Good luck, though!

Offline Ħ

« Reply #88 on: March 31, 2011, 07:47:21 PM »

Take a class taught by Dr. Charlie Bamforth.  if you can't get motivated to get an A in one of his courses, you are completely hopeless as a human being.
Did you go there?
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline j

« Reply #89 on: March 31, 2011, 08:57:44 PM »

Lol you're a freshman in high school and you've already got your entire undergraduate and post-graduate career planned out? :rollin  Take it easy, bro.

I didn't even THINK about college until the second semester of my senior year, and I still got into a great school.  Sounds like you get good grades, and you'll likely have no trouble doing the same, not that your undergraduate institution makes much of a difference in anything.  I'm in medical school right now, and I didn't even decide on that until I was a junior at university.  I had changed majors like six times before that.  Then I got a Master's degree before starting med school, because I STILL wasn't sure.

Point is, you might be a very rare exception (and I probably am an exception in the other direction), but almost nobody knows what they want to do with their life at your age.  You just don't have experience in anything.  And that's nothing personal, I and everybody else were the same way at...what are you like 14?

-J

Offline Kura

• (●ゝω・)ノ ♡
« Reply #90 on: March 31, 2011, 09:32:17 PM »

Lol you're a freshman in high school and you've already got your entire undergraduate and post-graduate career planned out? :rollin  Take it easy, bro.

I didn't even THINK about college until the second semester of my senior year, and I still got into a great school.  Sounds like you get good grades, and you'll likely have no trouble doing the same, not that your undergraduate institution makes much of a difference in anything.  I'm in medical school right now, and I didn't even decide on that until I was a junior at university.  I had changed majors like six times before that.  Then I got a Master's degree before starting med school, because I STILL wasn't sure.

Point is, you might be a very rare exception (and I probably am an exception in the other direction), but almost nobody knows what they want to do with their life at your age.  You just don't have experience in anything.  And that's nothing personal, I and everybody else were the same way at...what are you like 14?

-J

Not entirely true. I knew what I wanted to do when I was 14-15, too. I think it's better to think about it than put it off, or you'll just end up wasting a buttload of time, effort, and money. Why tell him to take it easy when all he's doing is sorting out his future? I say.. go for it!

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #91 on: March 31, 2011, 09:34:10 PM »

I'll bet!
No comparison needed. The English commentators just plain sound like idiots. :P

Nice to see a fellow Habs fan. :)

Offline Aramatheis

• The lighter's dead
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #92 on: March 31, 2011, 09:46:32 PM »
Nice to see a fellow Habs fan. :)

How 'bout that missed call on Gill during Tuesday's game? What a bs call (or lack thereof)

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #93 on: March 31, 2011, 10:00:06 PM »
In my junior year of high school. Trying to get my GPA up less than a point to a 90, but it's kinda hard with three AP classes, horrible procrastination, and horrible sleep habits.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #94 on: March 31, 2011, 11:42:16 PM »

Did you go there?

No, but I know Dr. Bamforth and he is THE pre-eminant scholar of his field (look it up, and you'll see why you shouldn't fail)

Offline j

« Reply #95 on: April 01, 2011, 09:21:36 PM »
I think it's better to think about it than put it off, or you'll just end up wasting a buttload of time, effort, and money. Why tell him to take it easy when all he's doing is sorting out his future? I say.. go for it!

This amounts to a little bit more than just planning ahead.  Nothing wrong with thinking about it, but the level of detail there was astounding for somebody with (presumably) no idea what his already-chosen profession actually entails on a day-to-day basis, or a million other things.  Yeah, in early high school you may know the general kind of stuff that interests you, but that's usually about it.  It's fine that he's thought all this through with such gusto, I'd just warn him to expect that a good bit of it (possibly ALL of it) will almost certainly change.  Just seems like he ought to be having some fun and enjoying these next couple of years (not that he necessarily isn't) instead of being so preoccupied with all this kind of crap so early.  Just my opinion. *shrug*

I'm not saying he should slack off in school, or not work hard.  But waiting to iron out the details until you actually have some information and experience is not irresponsible in the least, and I'm not sure how it would lead to "wasting a buttload of time, effort, and money". ???  A well-rounded person with good grades can do whatever they want.

-J

Offline Pirate

• Yeah buddy
« Reply #96 on: April 02, 2011, 06:40:32 AM »
I'm not really preoccupied with what I want to do right now, I just sort of know what the plan is at this point. I do enjoy my time at school, however that has nothing to do with the classes I choose. I'm sure that my idea of my future is going to change in some way or another, but it didn't seem like a bad idea to me to plan it out according to what I want to do right now. For example, right now I don't have a girlfriend or anything like that, but if I did, and it was serious, that would change a lot of things.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #97 on: April 02, 2011, 06:43:38 AM »
I'm a third year mechanical engineer at UCSB, currently studying abroad at Imperial College London.

I'm also lazy as fuck, and probably belong in here.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #98 on: April 02, 2011, 10:03:23 AM »
I think it's better to think about it than put it off, or you'll just end up wasting a buttload of time, effort, and money. Why tell him to take it easy when all he's doing is sorting out his future? I say.. go for it!

This amounts to a little bit more than just planning ahead.  Nothing wrong with thinking about it, but the level of detail there was astounding for somebody with (presumably) no idea what his already-chosen profession actually entails on a day-to-day basis, or a million other things.  Yeah, in early high school you may know the general kind of stuff that interests you, but that's usually about it.  It's fine that he's thought all this through with such gusto, I'd just warn him to expect that a good bit of it (possibly ALL of it) will almost certainly change.  Just seems like he ought to be having some fun and enjoying these next couple of years (not that he necessarily isn't) instead of being so preoccupied with all this kind of crap so early.  Just my opinion. *shrug*

I'm not saying he should slack off in school, or not work hard.  But waiting to iron out the details until you actually have some information and experience is not irresponsible in the least, and I'm not sure how it would lead to "wasting a buttload of time, effort, and money". ???  A well-rounded person with good grades can do whatever they want.

-J
Early in high school I started to see that I wanted to do something with math. At the time, I was in geometry and wanted to see what architecture was like, and started saying that that would be my major. By junior year I was dead set on high school math education, and I will be getting my degree in it this coming fall.

But, you are right, I was ready to change majors 6 times before I decided to stay with it. But I was like 19-20 years old and unsure with life in general.

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #99 on: April 02, 2011, 11:24:10 AM »
Currently going through the decision making of deciding which Uni/College I'll be going to next year.

Offline j

« Reply #100 on: April 02, 2011, 11:52:03 AM »
I'm not really preoccupied with what I want to do right now, I just sort of know what the plan is at this point. I do enjoy my time at school, however that has nothing to do with the classes I choose. I'm sure that my idea of my future is going to change in some way or another, but it didn't seem like a bad idea to me to plan it out according to what I want to do right now. For example, right now I don't have a girlfriend or anything like that, but if I did, and it was serious, that would change a lot of things.

Yeah, I was just kinda rambling off my first impressions.  But based on your posts in this thread, it sounds like you'll be successful at whatever you decide to do.  Good luck! :tup

-J

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #101 on: April 06, 2011, 07:18:55 AM »
So I just gave myself the shittiest schedule for next year. All the business people I had to get sign off on it were like "Uhhhhh that's probably not a good idea". But I'm doing it anyways. Joy.

Principles of Accounting
Analytical Techniques in Business
Intro to Microeconomics
Intro to Macroeconomics
Business Communications
Statistics

I've never had a class in any of those before, so I'm going in blind to everything.

Yeah, and I also was trying to get a job for next semester. I am not a good student by any means. I don't know how this is going to work.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #102 on: April 06, 2011, 07:22:00 AM »
^Dude, just drop one of those if possible. If you don't know jack about any of those, that is a lot of weight to carry.

3 weeks until this semester is over, although only two more weeks of actual school. Except that when the semester is over, I then have to rack up my 20 hours/3 lessons taught of internship at a high school, since I am the only one in the entire college that did not get placed with a cooperating teacher. Sucks

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #103 on: April 06, 2011, 07:30:10 AM »
I kind of have to take them. I really don't want to spend any more time in college than I have to because I absolutely hate it, and right now I'm off track in terms of credits/won't graduate on time. Also, I need to get all of those classes done with now so I can take the higher level classes in my major. If I picked my major awhile ago, I wouldn't have to take everything at once, but since I suck and am lazy I have to take 18 credits this semester, and then another class this summer.  :P

Did I mention I'm probably going to become addicted to adderall next semester?  :\

Are you doing your internship during the actual school year or during summer school? And what class? If it's an upper level math class... you're in my thoughts!  :lol

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #104 on: April 06, 2011, 07:38:53 AM »
Oh, I see...I was in the same boat, where I all of a sudden had a lot to take at once. I literally developed so much anxiety that it manifested physically into not being able to breathe properly. Really sucked. Just keep your head in check.

My semester ends April 27th, but public school (high school included) is done beginning in June, so I have 6 weeks to rack up the hours, which shouldn't be bad...but I just don't wanna do anything over the summer. :lol

Actually, I have the opportunity to do about 85% of my coursework over the summer so that when Fall hits, all I have is my final internship (full-on teaching). But the workload over the summer is pretty big, but I can spread it out so it's not too bad. Plus I work A LOT, so....yeah. A lot to do!