Author Topic: School Thread  (Read 14807 times)

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
Re: School Thread
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2011, 09:58:46 PM »
I also wish I had majored in something useful.

I'm an English major.

lololololol

I really wanted to be an English major... but yeah, there was nothing I could think of to use it with.

I went with business because it seemed vague enough that I don't need to figure out what the fuck I am gonna do with my life now.  :lol

Ah, so they ended up letting you go past the deadline?

Yeah, the lady who I went to was a super bitch at first but I think she saw I was a nice person cause she ended up apologizing to me and went out of her way to ask the chairman to let me in, which was really nice of her!

So that's one less thing I have to worry about now, I guess!

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2011, 10:00:20 PM »
Cool beans. :tup You must have turned your swag on.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2011, 10:02:18 PM »
My first semester of college was straight C's. I was pretty disappointed in myself, but college was also an hour and a half drive away and my first class was at 8:30, so I was tired on top of being unmotivated. My second semester was about the same, but I dropped a class because I wasn't doing any work in it. Boy did I feel useless. And I still didn't do much work. Then I took a summer semester and did really well at that, pulled A's in every class.

First semester of Sophomore year (this past fall) I moved and started at a new college, and it's pretty cool because it's only a ten minute drive away. I did pretty well and applied myself, got mostly A's and one C I think (which was from my bullshit English professor, I had never gotten anything lower than an A in anything English related in my whole life) and now I'm in my second semester and doing pretty well I guess. I do all my work on time (if just barely) and the only trouble I have is with my Algebra class. It's not that hard or anything, I just don't study as often as I should. When I do study, though, I get good test grades.

I admit that I do skip class sometimes, but I'll usually only skip a particular class once or twice as it sucks to fall behind on things.

I'm also going to be moving to Orlando to go to a big university this fall, I guess I should figure out how to declare a major before I end up in ZBomber's shoes.

Oh, did I mention I'm doing all of this without a single clue as to what I want to major in?

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2011, 10:04:14 PM »
Cool beans. :tup You must have turned your swag on.

I have a way with words when communicating with menopausal women.

Doesn't translate as well with girls in their 20s, however.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2011, 10:05:00 PM »
Sonata you should post the "I'm not a good student" comic.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2011, 10:09:46 PM »
My first semester of college was straight C's. I was pretty disappointed in myself, but college was also an hour and a half drive away and my first class was at 8:30, so I was tired on top of being unmotivated. My second semester was about the same, but I dropped a class because I wasn't doing any work in it. Boy did I feel useless. And I still didn't do much work. Then I took a summer semester and did really well at that, pulled A's in every class.

First semester of Sophomore year (this past fall) I moved and started at a new college, and it's pretty cool because it's only a ten minute drive away. I did pretty well and applied myself, got mostly A's and one C I think (which was from my bullshit English professor, I had never gotten anything lower than an A in anything English related in my whole life) and now I'm in my second semester and doing pretty well I guess. I do all my work on time (if just barely) and the only trouble I have is with my Algebra class. It's not that hard or anything, I just don't study as often as I should. When I do study, though, I get good test grades.

I admit that I do skip class sometimes, but I'll usually only skip a particular class once or twice as it sucks to fall behind on things.

I'm also going to be moving to Orlando to go to a big university this fall, I guess I should figure out how to declare a major before I end up in ZBomber's shoes.

Oh, did I mention I'm doing all of this without a single clue as to what I want to major in?

I thought you were already majoring in film?
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2011, 10:11:33 PM »
That's the old sonatafanica from a few months ago

you're looking at the new one with no direction in life

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2011, 10:14:36 PM »
 :lol Chris, you might want to look into that. I'm pretty sure at my school, you need to have your major declared by first semester, junior year. Of course, we're in different schools and states, so you probably don't fall under that rule, but still look into it. Even if you just declare something now, you can change it at any time. It also helps you get into some classes.

Again, thats just how it is done at my school, so that may be completely irrelevant to you.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2011, 07:23:28 AM »
That's the old sonatafanica from a few months ago

you're looking at the new one with no direction in life

Major in math or science education...there are always jobs for those degrees. My friends in the same program get hired BEFORE they are done with their last semester. It's insane.

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #44 on: March 30, 2011, 07:45:18 AM »
I guess my big deal with picking out a major is that I don't really want anything to do with the jobs associated with any that I've come across.

I've never really wanted a lot of money and a nice house or anything like that. To be honest, my only real sort of vision for how I'd like to live is to move to a city or close to one like New York or something, live in an apartment, and work at a book store or something while continuing my comics.

At this point I guess it really doesn't matter what I get my degree in because I probably won't end up doing it anyway. I'm pretty much getting a college education just to have one.

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: March 30, 2011, 08:31:13 AM »
Wow, where to start...

I'm a second year Journalism student at the University of King's College in Halifax, NS. All my life I've wanted to write and I've been pretty set on journalism for the last four or five years. But here I am in second-year not enjoying my program at all. These days I just feel unhappy with a strong feeling that I'm heading down the wrong path in life.

So here's what I'm going to do: I'm moving back to my hometown (Ottawa, ON) in three weeks (once the school year finishes) because tuition and living expenses are cheaper. I'm transferring to Carleton University and switching majors to Psychology. I'm going to stay in Ottawa until February 2012, when I hope to have enough money to move to Australia. In Australia (probably Brisbane or Melbourne), I intend to work and go to school part time. I'll stay for at least a year but if I fall in love with the place I'll probably stay for good.

But as it is, all this upcoming change is really stressing me out.
Quote from: Jamesman42
Global Laziness: Speaks for Canada
Quote from: black_floyd
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline Aramatheis

• The lighter's dead
  • DTF.org Member
  • and the gas has been cut off
« Reply #46 on: March 30, 2011, 08:44:49 AM »
Wow, where to start...

I'm a second year Journalism student at the University of King's College in Halifax, NS. All my life I've wanted to write and I've been pretty set on journalism for the last four or five years. But here I am in second-year not enjoying my program at all. These days I just feel unhappy with a strong feeling that I'm heading down the wrong path in life.

So here's what I'm going to do: I'm moving back to my hometown (Ottawa, ON) in three weeks (once the school year finishes) because tuition and living expenses are cheaper. I'm transferring to Carleton University and switching majors to Psychology. I'm going to stay in Ottawa until February 2012, when I hope to have enough money to move to Australia. In Australia (probably Brisbane or Melbourne), I intend to work and go to school part time. I'll stay for at least a year but if I fall in love with the place I'll probably stay for good.

But as it is, all this upcoming change is really stressing me out.

Hey, I've got a few friends who go to Carleton!
Hope it all works out for you bro

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: March 30, 2011, 08:56:47 AM »
Cool, who? Are you from Ottawa?
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline Aramatheis

• The lighter's dead
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #48 on: March 30, 2011, 09:00:18 AM »
Ah just a couple people in the english program there
And I'm from just outside of Windsor  :D

Parlez-vous français?

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: March 30, 2011, 09:02:35 AM »
Nah, not really. I stopped taking French partway through high school because I hated the way it was taught. I regret it these days, though.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: March 30, 2011, 09:13:27 AM »
Global, I feel you on the journalism thing. I had decided by 10th or 11th grade that I wanted to major in journalism, so I jumped right into it. Within two quarters (or roughly one semester for everyone not on the quarter system) I realized it wasn't for me at all. I began dreading it and I quickly realized how unhappy I would be if I kept at it. So I switched to English because it seemed like a natural transition, and I'd still like to make a living being a writer of some sort. Whether or not I stay an English major is up in the air at the moment. It may only be temporary. I'm also considering switching my minor with my major. That is, major in marketing and minor in English. I feel like I could do more with marketing.

Kosmo

« Reply #51 on: March 30, 2011, 09:35:50 AM »
I'm studying to be a sound technician so the ''real'' school is pretty much behind me, i have a few classes of maths and shite during the week but mostly stuff that actually interests me.
I don't do nearly as well in school as I should.  As smart as I am, I try to focus myself on the things I enjoy doing in school, which is a really stupid thing to do.  Which is probably why I have an A+ in English and a low B in Math.  I can't force myself to enjoy mathematics. 
On the american grading system my english would be an A and maths D, so go figure.  ::)

Offline Aramatheis

• The lighter's dead
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #52 on: March 30, 2011, 12:32:05 PM »
Nah, not really. I stopped taking French partway through high school because I hated the way it was taught. I regret it these days, though.

Yeah, it's not taught very well in school. The only good way is practice.

Thank god the majority of my family are Québecois, otherwise I'd forget the language  :lol
I do watch the french broadcast of the Habs games, though. They're much better than the english ones.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: March 30, 2011, 12:43:40 PM »
Right now, I go to Drake University. Sometimes it is really hard to want to go to certain classes, especially accounting. It's an annoying class that's long, boring, and easy. Yes, easy. And it's this easiness that makes it worse. It's another reason to skip class/not care. The problem is that i still have to learn the easy material, which I have no drive to do outside of class. :/

Offline Kura

• (●ゝω・)ノ ♡
« Reply #54 on: March 30, 2011, 12:53:32 PM »
Global, I feel you on the journalism thing. I had decided by 10th or 11th grade that I wanted to major in journalism, so I jumped right into it. Within two quarters (or roughly one semester for everyone not on the quarter system) I realized it wasn't for me at all. I began dreading it and I quickly realized how unhappy I would be if I kept at it. So I switched to English because it seemed like a natural transition, and I'd still like to make a living being a writer of some sort. Whether or not I stay an English major is up in the air at the moment. It may only be temporary. I'm also considering switching my minor with my major. That is, major in marketing and minor in English. I feel like I could do more with marketing.

Ever thought of being an Editor and using that to transition into being an Author? Or would that be too difficult?

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #55 on: March 30, 2011, 01:05:43 PM »
In order to graduate on time, I need atleast 16 credits each semester.

yay

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #56 on: March 30, 2011, 01:08:08 PM »
In order to graduate on time, I need atleast 16 credits each semester.

yay

I need 15. Which seems like bullshit because my friend at FSU only has to take four classes per semester and I have to take five.

Offline Aramatheis

• The lighter's dead
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #57 on: March 30, 2011, 01:09:37 PM »
I need 15.

Same here. I have to take a summer class to catch up on credits, because I dropped a class.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #58 on: March 30, 2011, 01:12:44 PM »
I have been taking almost 8 years to get my 4 year degree. I spread it out (I work a lot) and took about a year and a half off though.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #59 on: March 30, 2011, 01:28:21 PM »
Honestly, I just wanna get school over with. As much as I'd love to take a break/take an easier workload, I know I could not deal with another year or two on top of this.

Although I dont know what I'll be doing when I get out of school, so....

warbgle

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: March 30, 2011, 01:43:23 PM »

Ever thought of being an Editor and using that to transition into being an Author? Or would that be too difficult?

That's the thing. I don't necessarily want to be an "author"; I don't want to write books for a living. I would love being an editor, but in journalism, you have to have a specific type of personality (aggressive, pushy, nosy, etc.) and I'm not like that at all. My dream job is to write columns or editorials for magazines and/or websites. Something that would involve more actual writing VS. searching for and obtaining stories and information from people.

Offline Kura

• (●ゝω・)ノ ♡
« Reply #61 on: March 30, 2011, 01:56:40 PM »

That's the thing. I don't necessarily want to be an "author"; I don't want to write books for a living. I would love being an editor, but in journalism, you have to have a specific type of personality (aggressive, pushy, nosy, etc.) and I'm not like that at all. My dream job is to write columns or editorials for magazines and/or websites. Something that would involve more actual writing VS. searching for and obtaining stories and information from people.
I didn't mean just be an editor for journalism, but rather an editor for novels ._. and sorry I thought you meant writing as in wanting to be a creative (fiction) book-writer.

@_@ I'm reading this thread and I feel like one of the few/ only people who is getting into something really specific and knows what I wanna be already.. (well technically.. getting out of.. since I'm graduating in about a month) I guess I'm lucky for that @__@

Offline Rina

• DTF.org Member
  • ~
« Reply #62 on: March 30, 2011, 01:58:04 PM »
I plan on getting a Minor in Music starting this Fall. I finished my Pharmacy Tech schooling, so now I'm just gonna do some "recreational" school. I'm gonna get an AA Degree too though, so I don't feel like I'm wasting time.  :lol

Offline nightmare_cinema

• I'm Raiderrrrrrrrr
« Reply #63 on: March 30, 2011, 03:38:19 PM »
I graduated from my degree last year, got a 2.1 (second highest class) in Music (specialised in musicology, theory and analysis) and got firsts (highest grade) for half of my final year modules (wooh! they were my dissertation on gender and progressive metal, and an animal rights philosophy module). I slacked in my second year, then in my final year thought actually yeah, I need to really get my act together in order to get a 2.1... it was really tough, REALLY tough... but once I got my degree and my fancy hat and robes it was worth all the all nighters, all the leaving the pub early and sober, all the stress/tension migraines and sleepless nights... I knew if I didn't get that grade I'd feel I'd wasted the £20k it cost. Never gonna use the degree though after all that :laugh:

I would never EVER go through it again though now I know what it was like.

Every story needs to have an ending, we might as well give up all this pretending and clear the air...

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • şağ besta sem guğ hefur skapağ er nır dagur
« Reply #64 on: March 30, 2011, 03:42:58 PM »
Currently in my first year of Bachelor in Physics. Failed four out of my five classes first semester (6, 7, 9, 9 and 12 (on 20)) which sucks pretty hard. I'm trying to do better this semester though! I hope I can keep it at four re-exams (?) this year.

You and me go parallel, together and apart

Offline Pirate

• Yeah buddy
« Reply #65 on: March 30, 2011, 04:03:18 PM »
9 average first semester in High School... working on a 92-93 this semester. I'm taking two grade ten classes in addition to three grade nines (AD Math and Civics/Careers)... still not occupied 24/7. My plan at this point is to take all of the University Sciences and Maths and finish HS a semester early, giving me time to make some money working or find a useful co-op placement. Hopefully I'll go to a good University (most likely in the States or elsewhere - I don't know of any schools in Canada for what I'm looking into) and get a masters in Engineering Physics (at some point also a Ph.D), and end up an Engineering Physicist working in the area of Nanotechnology.

Offline Aramatheis

• The lighter's dead
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #66 on: March 30, 2011, 05:53:46 PM »
my dissertation on gender and progressive metal

Love it.

Offline Bonham

• Either Zeppelin's drummer or "good ham"
« Reply #67 on: March 30, 2011, 07:58:31 PM »
I've had the same experiences others have shared here, mostly regarding the realization that college is actually hard...

I'm enrolled in a special program combining my first year of college with my senior of high school, and was enough of a dumbass to choose solely Gen Ed. courses there, since they didn't have a degree program in Physics (funnily enough, they have several Engineering programs, which I elected not to take). I finally got into a 3rd year Modern Physics course, and was doing well... until we finished with relativity and got into atomic theory and quantum mechanics.

I never had to study before this class, but I failed my last test and the lectures are just flying above my head...

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #68 on: March 30, 2011, 09:54:14 PM »
Just found out that I have to take two more semesters instead of one like I had thought all along. FFFFUUUU...

I generally do pretty well, but I have never liked school. The system sucks, the classes are often disconnected from reality; I'm just ready to move on already. Not that having to find a job is thrilling, but I'm not happy at all that I have to go back for more.

Offline Nic35

• Which seat can I take =/ ?
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: March 30, 2011, 10:07:16 PM »
Ah just a couple people in the english program there
And I'm from just outside of Windsor  :D

Parlez-vous français?
Bien sur.  ;)

I'm doing a major in economics at Université Laval. I love it.
Jesus Christ himself* comes down amidst a choir of 2 billion angels singing Handel's Hallelujah chorus. As KrotchRaut shred randomly on guitars made of dragon bones using picks made from God's kidney stones, Jesus heals a blind woman who promptly gives birth onstage to a creation of pure light.

*Yes, Jesus Christ himself. Nothing less will do.