Author Topic: [Music] Coheed and Cambria - Year of the Black Rainbow  (Read 3726 times)

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
[Music] Coheed and Cambria - Year of the Black Rainbow
« on: April 26, 2010, 10:16:35 AM »
Reviewed By: Nick
Artist: Coheed and Cambria
Album: Year of the Black Rainbow
Genre: Progressive Metal
Year of Release: 2010
On Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Year-Black-Rainbow-Coheed-Cambria/dp/B0036WHM14/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1272257208&sr=8-1

Being a newer Coheed fan, the release of Year of the Black Rainbow and the accompanying book by the same was an exciting event. If I was to have even the slightest clue what was going on in the crazy universe known as Heaven’s Fence than a prequel to the story so far was essential.

The album starts typically enough with the first real track, “The Broken”, which maintains a lot of the sounds Coheed has established over the previous two records, but at the same time you get the feeling the album is moving into new territory, a feeling which will be validated as the album continues on. “The Broken” has some very memorable guitar leads and a catchy chorus that one would expect, but the next track, “Guns of Summer” really sees the band throw out their own rulebook to travel new ground. That trend is somewhat continued in “Here We Are Juggernaut”, in which guitarist, vocalist, and lead songwriter Claudio Sanchez explains that the band for the first time ever wrote a song based around a small electronic sample. This bit of experimentation proves to be successful as the track ends up being one of the best and most accessible on the album despite not being completely straightforward.

The track “Far” displays what is perhaps the best part of the album, its softer side. The band really did well kicking back with some new techniques to deliver some very soothing moments on the album. And however much I like “Far” the best example of this probably comes a little later on the album with what I’d consider the highlight of the album, “Pearl of the Stars”. The track is as far as I’m concerned the best softer song the band has ever done, and I think between its simplicity and easier to handle than normal vocals it will be a song that can convert a lot of new people into fans. The song not only features emotional and moving vocals, but probably the most emotional guitar solo on the entire disc which reminds me of something I might hear on a Pink Floyd album.

Although I’ve been mostly positive at this point the album does have some drawbacks. For starters some of the new things the band tried didn’t come across perfectly. I’d say failed experiments are certainly in the minority, but definitely there. My other, much larger complaint is with the production of the album. Along with sounding way too stuck up and equally British on the documentary that accompanies the deluxe edition of the album producers Atticus Ross and Joe Barresi managed to flaw what was perhaps Coheed’s best mixed album to date by making the entire record sound somewhat flat and muddy. The sound does somewhat lend itself well to a track or two, but over the entire record it certainly does not work.

I think this record has great potential to bring in new fans, while as long as they don’t resist change older fans should come along for the ride. There are certainly still elements of the last few albums older fans can look to, especially in tracks like “World of Lines” which has potentially the best chorus on the disc, and it sounds like it could have come straight from one of the Good Apollo albums. This album opened up a new toolbox to the band (literally if you watch the documentary), and they did very well with their new ideas for the most part, producing a very solid album musically.

Nick’s Rating: 9/10
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 05:04:06 AM by Nick »
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
Re: [Music] Coheed and Cambria - Year of the Black Rainbow
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 02:55:58 PM »
You pretty much nailed down how I feel about the album in words, great :tup

Offline shadowfex

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2010, 01:13:36 AM »
Good review Nick, I would probably give the album the same rating, I think it's great!

I agree that the production sounds a bit muddy and with so much going on at once it is difficult to hear everything perfectly.

Also, you could probably re-word this part:-

'Along with sounding way too stuck up and British on the documentary'

It comes across like you dislike the fact the producers are British.

"Once he had forests and mountains that were only his - listening to him. Once he would run through the summer days catching memories for ages to come. Now he is dressing this naked floor with his flesh and blood, and time passes by. His trade of pain might just have lead him to deal with consequence for some change as time passes by"

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2010, 05:03:01 AM »
And what makes you think that I like the British? :p

:D
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Bandit Manatee

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2010, 02:17:39 PM »
This album just hasn't clicked with me like some of their other ones have.  I really like "Far" though.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2010, 09:03:19 AM »
"Pearl of the Stars" is only let down by the chorus, which has some "meh" lyrics ("But you don't, 'cause you're you, that's why I'll always love you"), and as far as softer songs go, "Mother Superior" blows it out of the water.  But overall it was a good and accurate review (though you didn't mention MOON in the "negatives" section).

Offline Arcaeus

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2010, 07:50:46 PM »
Guns of Summer is one of their best songs. I love the electronic parts on this album.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2010, 05:06:00 PM »
"Pearl of the Stars" is only let down by the chorus, which has some "meh" lyrics ("But you don't, 'cause you're you, that's why I'll always love you")
Agreed, that whole "but you don't 'cause you're you" is just :facepalm: but I still think it's the best track on the album.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2011, 03:06:13 PM »
Great review. Its exactly how I feel about the album. Also, Pearl Of The Stars is their best soft song. I love the simplicity and how beautiful it sounds.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline DejaVu

• "Don't be frightened of the shadows it creates"
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2011, 03:00:03 PM »
Great review, however I disagree. Being a large CoCa fan I was quite disappointed with this album, it just didn't 'do it' for me. Good Apollo vol. 1 is where they were at their high point, they sounded so unusual and while they kept some of their old traits, they made it more radio-friendly, it was the perfect album.

YOTBR didn't do much for me at all, it had a few stand-out tracks ('The Broken', 'World of Lines' and 'When Skeletons Live'), the other tracks seem bland and a bore. I always go back to their older albums, it might eventually grow on me, but it's still a mediocre album. :-\

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2011, 10:22:26 PM »
I love the 'Pearl of the Stars'
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Gysten

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2011, 07:43:20 AM »
Like many here says, its a good review. But i disagree at some points. I think Far is superior to Pearl of Stars, especially the solo in Far, wich makes the song more than just good. And songs like Wake Up, Mother Superior and The Road and The Damned are better soft songs in my opinion.

And i really don't like the sound of the album. It's to much backround noice for the most part. I like the more acustic sound the other three albums had before Year of The Black Rainbow more. But in the end it's a great album.