Author Topic: The Official Disorder Thread  (Read 6377 times)

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
The Official Disorder Thread
« on: March 27, 2011, 06:35:25 PM »
Some good discussion in the IQ thread, thought it would be useful to have a dedicated thread for discussion of different disorders.  Whether you have one, think you have one, or want to learn more about them.  I'm especially interested in what Adami has to share, considering he's studying in this field.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Official Disorder Thread
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 07:28:25 PM »
While never diagnosed for a while I thought I had OCD during high school, the smallest things I had to control. Changing lanes at a particular time driving home, getting a certain number of drinks before bed otherwise I couldn't fall asleep, checking the front door lock 4 times, no more no less before bed, on and on. If those things weren't done my life would feel like it was turned upside down, I couldn't gather a thought about anything else.

Anyway, I don't know where I'm going with it but I remember having it control my life for some time and it started interfering with my life at home with my family. I ended up moving away to college and all my habits stopped completely, I actually think (and I feel I'm going to get ripped to shreds about this) but I started smoking weed and I think it just calmed me down.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 07:30:36 PM »
Attention Deficit Disorder. 

I stopped taking medication for it though, because I hate it. 

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 07:36:36 PM »
How has your life been affected (if at all) since you stopped taking the medication?

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2011, 07:39:51 PM »
Does a hyperactive bladder count as a disorder? Don't misunderstand me, I can control when I pee (it's not involuntary) but on any given day I make anywhere from 10-15 trips to the bathroom.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2011, 07:42:02 PM »
Eating.  It's my stress mechanism.  I've got to break it for my health.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2011, 07:44:44 PM »
Supposedly I have schizoid personality disorder.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2011, 07:46:19 PM »
Herpes.

I mean, I can't help but blurt things outchlymadia.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2011, 07:46:21 PM »

OMFG, and it's the 21st century! You know what that means, right?

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2011, 07:47:58 PM »

OMFG, and it's the 21st century! You know what that means, right?

rumborak

The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2011, 07:51:49 PM »
I have a few "disorders". One is that I can not try a new food in front of anyone. If I do, it will trigger a gag reflex. Its been happening ever since I was a little kid. It makes it very difficult in situations when I am not with family. It can make it really hard to go to a restaurant that doesn't have a lot of stuff I like on the menu. The other disorder is also related to eating. I go through periods where every meal I force myself full. I'll be cooking a meal, and eating a meals worth of something else while that one is cooking. I end up slamming down retarded quantities of food before I even realize it. For breakfast I could get by on a bowl of cereal and some fruit, but instead I make a sandwich on a whole loaf of chiabatta, throw on 6 eggs, crap load of cheese etc...

Offline Pirate

• Yeah buddy
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2011, 07:53:35 PM »
I lol'd

in a disorder thread

does that make me a bad person

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2011, 07:53:50 PM »
What I posted in IQ

Also, as far as Aspergers goes... a longtime friend of mine has it. It's definitely real, and can be socially crippling. This guy kinda went through all of grade school and high school, before the government had time to decide he needed to be educated separately from people without it, and because of that he's pretty much at least integrated into society. But there are times where hanging out with him does just feel being attached to a huge anchor. One thing I've noticed is the more relaxed people act around him, the better he is. If people seem weirded out by his attitude, he tends to detect that and he gets even more awkward.

Offline dethklok09

• Mike
  • Great band
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2011, 07:58:47 PM »
I am only assuming and have never really gotten it checked out but I believe I may have a slight case of autism or bipolar disorder. I dont know but I do feel that these may be possibilities.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2011, 07:59:47 PM »
How has your life been affected (if at all) since you stopped taking the medication?

Um...

I don't feel nearly as moody as I did when I was on medication.  Sure, I'm a little less adept for focusing, but I'd grown to hate pills, because I just didn't feel very even-mooded while I was taking them.  They did help keep me alert, though, and I will miss that, but hell, school will just have to fuck off while I'm busy being distracted.  

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2011, 08:01:25 PM »

Um...

I don't feel nearly as moody as I did when I was on medication.  Sure, I'm a little less adept for focusing, but I'd grown to hate pills, because I just didn't feel very even-mooded while I was taking them.  They did help keep me alert, though, and I will miss that, but hell, school will just have to fuck off while I'm busy being distracted.  

Sort of like your roulette game? *snickers*  Hey!! Please don't take it out on my score!!! :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline ClairvoyantCat

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2011, 08:04:47 PM »
Well at least now I can blame my lateness on my disorder. 

Oh, and Ryan.  Blame him. 

Offline icysk8r

• DTF Resident Magician
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • www.bedeceived.com
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2011, 08:07:16 PM »
I have depression.  Although, lately I've been doing A LOT to combat it, and it's been going good.  Still some days when I just want to give up, but I pull through.  It was bad for a while though.
www.bedeceived.com

ZOMG WHAT'S AT BEDECEIVED.COM?

I DUNNO!  CLICK THE DARNED LINK TO FIND OUT!

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2011, 08:08:42 PM »
As I went out to get lunch, I thought about the aspergers thing. It doesn't make sense to me anymore. Any person will be a perfectionist about things to a degree, obsessed about anything they find interesting, very neat, keeping things in certain order, have a few problems talking to people, etc etc. I mean.. If you look at adults at least. It's not as bad in adulthood. Everyone has certain ways of doing things.

I think because lots of people are introverted, most of my friends are. That's just the way I see it. Imagine "you" having Asperger's Syndrome and letting someone know you're not good at so and so because you have a so called diagnosis of so called syndrome. They wouldn't take a statement like that seriously, instead they'll just go "haha! Seriously? Just because a doctor told you that you have something "wrong" with you, you're blaming your lack of understanding on that? You're fine, don't worry about it."

That's happened to me before, of course I didn't get that but now I do.

If you think I'm talking rubbish, just tell me. I know I'm on a bit of a bad foot there.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2011, 08:09:44 PM »
I have depression.  Although, lately I've been doing A LOT to combat it, and it's been going good.  Still some days when I just want to give up, but I pull through.  It was bad for a while though.

I'm with you.  I'm fighting it a bit with losing my mom and losing my job.  I've just got to push forward and stay positive.  I'm going to the gym tomorrow to work off the angst.

Offline icysk8r

• DTF Resident Magician
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • www.bedeceived.com
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2011, 08:17:07 PM »

I'm with you.  I'm fighting it a bit with losing my mom and losing my job.  I've just got to push forward and stay positive.  I'm going to the gym tomorrow to work off the angst.
I also hate when people say I'm just a teenager and will get over it.
www.bedeceived.com

ZOMG WHAT'S AT BEDECEIVED.COM?

I DUNNO!  CLICK THE DARNED LINK TO FIND OUT!

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2011, 08:23:02 PM »
For awhile, I thought maybe I had bipolar disorder or depression. But I was never diagnosed with it, so I've come to accept that it's just my struggle to look on the bright side of life.

If you ask me, we live in a society that's ridiculously over-medicated. My mother takes tons of pills she probably doesn't even need, and they're part of the factors that have fucked her up for life.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2011, 09:03:36 PM »

Based on what you post and what others post about you, I don't see how that's true.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2011, 09:06:16 PM »
I have core belief issues that stem from severe early childhood abuse.  Core beliefs are the base that the personality is developed on, things such as "I am a loveable person", and "I can trust those close to me."  It has caused numerous problems throughout my life, and has hindered almost every close relationship I've had.  After a shitload of therapy, it has improved, but will always be there.

Offline Adami

« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2011, 09:08:58 PM »
I have core belief issues that stem from severe early childhood abuse.  Core beliefs are the base that the personality is developed on, things such as "I am a loveable person", and "I can trust those close to me."  It has caused numerous problems throughout my life, and has hindered almost every close relationship I've had.  After a shitload of therapy, it has improved, but will always be there.

That would be Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. I'm glad it worked for you. It's probably my least favorite theory, but it's the most popular one today so one has to know it backwards and forwards.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2011, 09:22:25 PM »
Ahh, I have so many problems. :lol Been diagnosed with depression and anxiety for a few years now, runs in my family so I guess I'll just have to learn to deal with it eventually.

Though never diagnosed, I definitely think I have some kind of learning or attention disorder. Even when I want to try and focus on something, I can't. Luckily, I'm just an intelligent person so I've done OK in school. It's getting a lot harder now though... my studies are beginning to pass the knowledge I already have, and it requires a lot of studying... so yeah. I'm thinking about getting it diagnosed, but honestly I don't want to be on medication.

I also have some weird eye problem. I don't know what its called. I think I'm legally blind actually. That has also been getting worse in the past few months. For example, I can't actually read what I'm typing right now. I can see it, but my eyes can't focus that well so I have a really hard time reading. That, on top of my attention disorder is just causing a fucking boatload of problems... which further fuels my depression, anxiety, and stress.

CIRCLES ARE SO FUCKING AWESOME

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2011, 09:24:30 PM »
I've been semi-officially diagnosed with OCD, though I feel I have pretty good control over it now.

Offline Adami

« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2011, 09:26:40 PM »
I've been semi-officially diagnosed with OCD, though I feel I have pretty good control over it now.

What is semi officially?

By the way, just a tidbit for everyone claiming to have OCD. No matter how Obsessive Compulsive you are, or think you are, if it doesn't actually hurt parts of your life, or anything like that, it's not OCD. If you live a perfectly productive life and your compulsions and so forth aren't getting in the way, it's not OCD.

Thus, Mike Portnoy didn't have OCD, he was just a bit obsessive and really liked having control.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline MetalMike06

• DT.net Member
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2011, 09:36:26 PM »
Social anxiety here. It's not as bad now as it used to be but...yeah.

I've never had any kind of medication for it. I'm not sure there really is one anyway.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2011, 09:42:02 PM »

That would be Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. I'm glad it worked for you. It's probably my least favorite theory, but it's the most popular one today so one has to know it backwards and forwards.
I won't say it worked, but being aware of it and making a concious effort to work through it really changed my ways of dealing with people, in the long run. (BTW, I have my bachelors in Psych, with emphasis on childhood development(go figure :P))

Offline Adami

« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2011, 09:42:41 PM »
Social anxiety here. It's not as bad now as it used to be but...yeah.

I've never had any kind of medication for it. I'm not sure there really is one anyway.

There's lots of meds for anxiety. I'm 100% against them, but they exist and are super easy to find.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2011, 09:48:54 PM »

What is semi officially?

By the way, just a tidbit for everyone claiming to have OCD. No matter how Obsessive Compulsive you are, or think you are, if it doesn't actually hurt parts of your life, or anything like that, it's not OCD. If you live a perfectly productive life and your compulsions and so forth aren't getting in the way, it's not OCD.

Thus, Mike Portnoy didn't have OCD, he was just a bit obsessive and really liked having control.
Yeah, I think OCD typically gets misdiagnosed a lot.

I do know one guy who has it really bad, though. It prevents him from getting a job because he can't even get through the day without indulging in all of the habits that he has to. Of course, he also has a bunch of other problems ranging from alcohol and drugs to suicidal tendencies. But OCD is a major factor.

Offline toro

• wazzup
  • Metal, Drums and beers they finally got it right
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2011, 10:01:21 PM »
I don't know how it is called but I have some kind of obbsession with colors and numbers. For example, everything I have needs to be on even numnbers and when I have a group of things with different colors Example: 4 notebooks, 2 red and 2 blue. I have to give them and order like "red, blue, red, blue."

yep.
I imagined the story to go more like this.

I was sitting a traffic light blaring Space Dye Vest and next to me in another car was Kevin Moore. And I'll never be open again.

Offline Adami

« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2011, 10:21:10 PM »
I don't know how it is called but I have some kind of obbsession with colors and numbers. For example, everything I have needs to be on even numnbers and when I have a group of things with different colors Example: 4 notebooks, 2 red and 2 blue. I have to give them and order like "red, blue, red, blue."

yep.

It's called a character quirk.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2011, 10:57:38 PM »
I had been diagnosed with ADHD a few years ago, meds fucked me up because I lacked the HD part (my stepmom thought I was a horrid monster...) so the pills just put me to sleep and killed my appetite... as soon as I got used to them, she refused to pay for them because It didnt make me a perfect little christian boy...

I have severe social anxiety. It is really fucking hard... i cant even order a pizza or talk to a cashier at the store sometimes. Crowds? ha! the only way i am able to brave large crowds is if my gf is with me, but i may lose that luxury soon (thats for another thread). I am usually fine if I am listening to music, head down... no eye contact. and it doesnt help that I studder/slur alot when i speak.

I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"