Author Topic: New computer question #2  (Read 3058 times)

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
New computer question #2
« on: March 27, 2011, 07:49:56 AM »
What other antivirus/protection software do I need?  It comes with Macafee on it, but I know there are better programs.  I have already installed MalwareBytes, but I know I need more.  And free. 
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline webpoet73

• DT.net Veteran
  • I am like a ghost...
Re: New computer question #2
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 08:02:31 AM »
I am assuming Windows 7... We use the Microsoft Security Essentials.  Works well and free.

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 08:03:27 AM »
Best protection is to not click on sketchy links.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 08:16:33 AM »
I use the free versions of AVG and Ad-Aware and they both work great.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2011, 08:18:06 AM »
I use AVG free and Spybot

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2011, 08:19:59 AM »

Sometimes you type a wrong link out and boom so that doesn't help

Offline Vivace

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2011, 08:47:30 AM »
AVG. 'nuff said.
"What kind of Jedis are these? Guardians of peace and justice my ass!"

"Ha ha! You fool! My Kung Fu is also big for have been trained in your Jedi arts why not!"

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2011, 09:08:30 AM »
I use Vipre on all of my devices. One of it's features is the license is for all household devices, not just each one. It is excellent, and is designed to pick up on things that most other softwares aren't even aware of yet. Primarily I began using it because it's anti-spyware is kick ass, but it has proven to be an awesome software in many other ways. "VIPRE" stands for Virus Intrusion Prevention Remediation Engine, and so far for me it has lived up to it's name.
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2011, 09:12:38 AM »
So, just to clarify, if I purchase this it will protect not only my laptop but also my wife's?

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2011, 10:44:46 AM »
We have one license but use Vipre for all of devices. We purchased an unlimited home use license. I think a single use license was like thirty bucks or so, and the unlimited was like fifty if memory serves me correctly. That's quite a bargain. We use it for my desk top and my wifes desk top. Both of our laptops, and my wifes notebook, and my son's laptop. That's six devices.

It uses very little space, so your computers speed is not compromised as a result. Most of the time, I barely know it's even there. There are others that claim to do other things, and I dont think there is one that is the best, but I have been happy with Vipre.

I first learned about Vipre from one of the IT guys at Random House. He used to work for the FBI's Cyber Crimes unit, and is RUMORED to have been quite the hacker back in the day. He's a close to anyone I've ever met that was a genuine hacker. (I don't run in that circle, and am NOT very tech savvy). Anyway, I kept having problems a couple of years ago, and he hooked me up with two things: 1) Vipre 2) Some other software I had on my last computer, the name of which escapes me at the moment, but the desktop icon for it was a bundle of TNT. It was like "______this" or something. It was a very heavy hitting program that I only let my IT guy ever use because if you werent careful you'd wind up removing shit you needed. I'll think of it and let you know.  :lol
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 11:53:20 AM by El TiempoLaVoz »

Offline dongringo

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2011, 11:42:42 AM »
Norton came with my new computer. I was skeptical at first, but it turns out to be the best I've ever had. It does everything automatically. No more need for multiple programs like AVG/Malwarebytes/Adaware/etc. When it expires, I'll gladly pay for it.
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline HarlequinForest

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2011, 11:53:35 AM »
I use Avast Anti-virus and COMODO Firewall.  I like them.

Offline Scrub206

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2011, 04:31:49 PM »
AVG free
Super anti-spyware
Malwarebytes
Comodo Cleaner

youll be set

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2011, 04:45:36 PM »
All I use is Avast.  Works fine for me.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2011, 04:53:11 PM »

Because it really is that two-dimensional and simple.

::)

I got a virus on my old computer from clicking on a picture of Geddy Lee. I did a Google Image search of Rush, found a picture of Geddy Lee that looked cool, clicked it, and it took me to a website that installed a fake antivirus on my computer. It can happen to anyone regardless of how careful they are. If it hasn't happened to you, you're just lucky.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline dongringo

« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2011, 06:44:19 PM »

Because it really is that two-dimensional and simple.

::)

I got a virus on my old computer from clicking on a picture of Geddy Lee. I did a Google Image search of Rush, found a picture of Geddy Lee that looked cool, clicked it, and it took me to a website that installed a fake antivirus on my computer. It can happen to anyone regardless of how careful they are. If it hasn't happened to you, you're just lucky.

I got a virus once by checking the weather on weatherbug.com.
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline TheMadgician

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2011, 07:15:56 PM »
Norton came with my new computer. I was skeptical at first, but it turns out to be the best I've ever had. It does everything automatically. No more need for multiple programs like AVG/Malwarebytes/Adaware/etc. When it expires, I'll gladly pay for it.

Norton really actually doesn't do much. I once described it as a mesh condom. And really, that's pretty accurate. It's like a security blanket, you might feel safer but you're really not. It's also a raging sandy cooch to uninstall. It embeds itself and you either have to uninstall manually, or go and try to dig through their website to find the uninstall tool. It also has a much higher rate of false positives than other anti-virus programs. It's probably one of the most criticized anti-virus programs. And for good reason. It also interacts horribly with other other security programs. Common among anti-virus programs, but Norton is worse than normal.

That said, running Spybot/Malware Bytes/etc is actually a good thing. They're specialized, they're good.

I'd personally recommend running AVG, full version if at all possible. Have Spybot as a kind of additional safety net. Spybot also comes with Teatimer, which is pretty useful. But if you're running Windows 7, it's not particularly necessary as the built in security acts similarly. But it doesn't hurt to have. And then always keep an updated version of Malware Bytes in case something gets through. Malware Bytes is pretty much the goto program for when you get some bad shit on your computer and need to take it out.

I run that and I'm really not even careful with where I go/what I click/what I download anymore. I just kinda do whatever. Don't have a single problem.

Offline dongringo

« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2011, 07:55:34 PM »

Norton really actually doesn't do much. I once described it as a mesh condom. And really, that's pretty accurate. It's like a security blanket, you might feel safer but you're really not. It's also a raging sandy cooch to uninstall. It embeds itself and you either have to uninstall manually, or go and try to dig through their website to find the uninstall tool. It also has a much higher rate of false positives than other anti-virus programs. It's probably one of the most criticized anti-virus programs. And for good reason. It also interacts horribly with other other security programs. Common among anti-virus programs, but Norton is worse than normal.

That said, running Spybot/Malware Bytes/etc is actually a good thing. They're specialized, they're good.

I'd personally recommend running AVG, full version if at all possible. Have Spybot as a kind of additional safety net. Spybot also comes with Teatimer, which is pretty useful. But if you're running Windows 7, it's not particularly necessary as the built in security acts similarly. But it doesn't hurt to have. And then always keep an updated version of Malware Bytes in case something gets through. Malware Bytes is pretty much the goto program for when you get some bad shit on your computer and need to take it out.

I run that and I'm really not even careful with where I go/what I click/what I download anymore. I just kinda do whatever. Don't have a single problem.

While I think you're right about older Nortons (I had it in the past and agree), the new version is simply great. I also have Malwarbytes, but everytime I run it these days it comes up with nothing because Norton catches everything, something that AVG doesn't do. I've had all the free programs out there and the new Norton blows them all away.l
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2011, 09:49:33 PM »
Splent-

the thing I could not recall was called Hijack This. Its a pretty wicked program that searches out programs that could have been added or changed by spyware. If you don't know what youre looking for, you shouldnt use it. I had it, but let my IT guy run the scans periodically and remove what needed removing.