Author Topic: I want to buy a camera  (Read 3317 times)

Offline icysk8r

• DTF Resident Magician
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • www.bedeceived.com
I want to buy a camera
« on: March 24, 2011, 07:16:13 PM »
I want to buy THIS camera, specifically.  Th Canon EOS 550D.
Now, it seems it's running in the range of around $1000.  I don't have much experience with this, but where would be the best place to buy this?  I'm looking for inexpensive, but also reliable.  If it's $1000, it's $1000, and I'm fine with that.  But if I can get it for less that would be great, too.  Basically I just want the name of a reliable site to buy cameras from.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Collin
www.bedeceived.com

ZOMG WHAT'S AT BEDECEIVED.COM?

I DUNNO!  CLICK THE DARNED LINK TO FIND OUT!

Offline Rina

• DTF.org Member
  • ~
Re: I want to buy a camera
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 07:19:13 PM »
General shopping sites like Amazon and whatnot are okay, but are you looking for a "discount" website?

Offline icysk8r

• DTF Resident Magician
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • www.bedeceived.com
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 07:24:49 PM »
General shopping sites like Amazon and whatnot are okay, but are you looking for a "discount" website?
If I can get it at a discount that would be great, but I want to make sure I won't be getting ripped off, too.
www.bedeceived.com

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2011, 07:27:39 PM »
I don't know if this is any of my business, and if it's not, feel free to ignore me. But I'm curious enough to ask. You're 16, (and as far as I know, unemployed?) so how can you afford a $1000 camera and be "fine with that?" Where does a 16 year old get that kind of dough? If I had that much money when I was 16, I would have shit my pants.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline efxf

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2011, 07:32:56 PM »

Offline icysk8r

• DTF Resident Magician
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • www.bedeceived.com
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2011, 07:40:24 PM »
I don't know if this is any of my business, and if it's not, feel free to ignore me. But I'm curious enough to ask. You're 16, (and as far as I know, unemployed?) so how can you afford a $1000 camera and be "fine with that?" Where does a 16 year old get that kind of dough? If I had that much money when I was 16, I would have shit my pants.
I save.  Once I set a goal, I'm going to reach it.  Plus each magic gig pays about $100, and I'm expecting to get more soon.  Plus I do landscaping for old people which pays a lot.  And I get an allowance.  It would take a while, but I could get 1000.  Maybe take a few months.

Try Adorama or B&H.

https://www.adorama.com/
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/
I'll check them out
www.bedeceived.com

Offline Nathan Explosion

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2011, 08:03:11 PM »
I can't speak to the 550d, but I bought the EOS 60d, right when it came out and I really like it.  The articulating screen comes in handy and helps prevent scratches on the screen.  It's very similar to the 550d but has some upgrades.  If you buy it, body only then you can get it for about $1000, maybe even less.

Here's some pics I took of mine.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2011, 08:11:36 PM »
Definitely B&H. Planning on doing some photography?

Offline icysk8r

• DTF Resident Magician
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • www.bedeceived.com
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2011, 08:19:28 PM »
Definitely B&H. Planning on doing some photography?
A little, but I would be using it mostly for my daily videos.  HD videos get so much more hits on youtube, as well as more of a chance to be recognized an partnered.

I can't speak to the 550d, but I bought the EOS 60d, right when it came out and I really like it.  The articulating screen comes in handy and helps prevent scratches on the screen.  It's very similar to the 550d but has some upgrades.  If you buy it, body only then you can get it for about $1000, maybe even less.

Here's some pics I took of mine.

Since I'm new to this, what does "body only" mean?  I've seen this in several places, but don't quite understand.  Does that mean just the bare minimum Safe Auto no attachments?  Can you buy body only and shoot right away?
www.bedeceived.com

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2011, 08:22:00 PM »
Body only means no lenses. The lenses cost you a shitload of money.

Offline j

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2011, 08:24:08 PM »

When I was in high school, a buddy of mine bought a (used) Mitsubishi 3000GT for 18 grand cash that he had saved up over the past several years from mowing lawns relentlessly and other stuff.  He was 16 or 17 when he bought it.  He was kind of a dumb-ass in other ways, but I always admired him for that.

Most kids that age aren't that responsible, but there are a few that are.

-J

Offline Nathan Explosion

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2011, 08:24:57 PM »
Body only means no lenses. The lenses cost you a shitload of money.

Right, if this is your first DSLR, then you could buy a cheap 18-55 lens, instead of buying the camera as a "kit" with the lens.  

My 60d and 18-135 was $100-200 more than the body only version, but it was all Bestbuy had at their store.  

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2011, 08:26:35 PM »
I got a fantastic deal on eBay on my Olympus.  There's always somebody with more money than you wanting to upgrade.  They guy who sold me mine probably wanted a D90 or something, so I got a bargain.  Somethings I'd never buy used, and other things it doesn't really matter.  A camera is definitely the latter.  Plus, by saving 5 bills, you'll be able to buy a couple of lenses that you'll desperately be wanting if you buy new.  Lenses ain't cheap.  

Edit:  cameras either come body only, which as Orcus said is no lenses, or you can buy the camera with one or two kit lenses.  The kit lenses aren't great, but they're more than adequate.  Figure that 1 good lens, and you'll want at least 2, will run you 3 or 4 bills.  2 kit lenses will add $150 or so to the cost of the camera. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline icysk8r

• DTF Resident Magician
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • www.bedeceived.com
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2011, 08:32:40 PM »
Oh geez this is all even more confusing than I thought it would be.  Okay, so if I wanted to shoot HD videos with an EOS 550D, what do I need?  Links would be appreciated.
www.bedeceived.com

Offline Nathan Explosion

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2011, 08:36:07 PM »
You'd need some kind of lens, preferably with Image stabilization.  An SDHC card that is at least class 6 speed, and either a steady hand or some kind of monopod stabilizer. 

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2011, 08:37:49 PM »
Honestly, buying a nice DSLR just to shoot HD videos that your phone could probably do nearly as well doesn't make much sense.  A nice camera is a damn fine investment, but it sounds like you don't really want one for that purpose.  A mid-range point and shoot will do what you need and then some and cost you 1/5 as much.  My advice is to either go the P&S way or develop an interest in photography, a wonderful hobby, and buy a real camera for that.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2011, 08:40:52 PM »
Yep. While DSLR's do have nice video features they're not really video cameras.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2011, 08:52:04 PM »
ON the DSLReview page of the camera you're looking at was a link to the CoolPix P300.  You'll get fantastic Nikkor optics, full 1080p video, and a simplified UI that will work for somebody with a limited understanding of photography.  You'll be able to shoot excellent video and still be able to take it to the zoo, park, lockerroom or wherever you take pictures and get good results.  You won't be getting them published in Life Magazine, but without a much better understanding of photography, you wouldn't be with the Rebel either.  Best of all, it'll only set you back about 3 bills.  Something like that is what I'd recommend.
E.F. Benson

Offline Nathan Explosion

« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2011, 08:53:47 PM »
Honestly, buying a nice DSLR just to shoot HD videos that your phone could probably do nearly as well doesn't make much sense.  A nice camera is a damn fine investment, but it sounds like you don't really want one for that purpose.  A mid-range point and shoot will do what you need and then some and cost you 1/5 as much.  My advice is to either go the P&S way or develop an interest in photography, a wonderful hobby, and buy a real camera for that.

I agree, although if you're really into video,  DSLR's do give you a ton more control over the way the video looks.  The focus and depth of field with the right lens looks incredible.  Very little phones or p&s could match the depth of field or focus of a DSLR and a good lens when it comes to video or a picture regardless if they shoot HD video.  

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2011, 08:55:11 PM »
I doubt icy even knows what DOF is.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2011, 08:58:33 PM »
I doubt icy even knows what DOF is.
Agreed.  While the Rebel would allow him to do that, it would only do so if he understood how to utilize it and that would require a lot more knowledge than he possesses.  I'd advise him to learn up about photography and get into it, it's a fascinating hobby, but that doesn't seem to be his interest. 
E.F. Benson

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2011, 08:59:18 PM »
Might as well get a Flip for what he wants to do.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2011, 09:01:23 PM »
He should also check out Cnet.com to see the ratings and review.  Great way of narrowing down once he figures out what style he wants.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Nathan Explosion

« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2011, 09:04:54 PM »
The cheapest DSLR that can do video is the new Canon T3 and it comes with a new 18-55 IS II kit lens, most prices I see are about $599.  Still a good amount of money, but it's cheaper than the other DSLR alternatives and it makes a good starter camera. 

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2011, 12:11:09 AM »
Didn't you say you didn't film street magic segments because you didn't have the money for a decent video camera? If you recently acquired money, I'd think you'd be interested in furthering that passion that you already seem to be good at. I'm not criticizing you, I'm just a little surprised. Ah well, to each his own.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 01:30:12 AM by Guitarded »
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline icysk8r

• DTF Resident Magician
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • www.bedeceived.com
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2011, 04:35:21 AM »
Didn't you say you didn't film street magic segments because you didn't have the money for a decent video camera? If you recently acquired money, I'd think you'd be interested in furthering that passion that you already seem to be good at. I'm not criticizing you, I'm just a little surprised. Ah well, to each his own.
I don't understand... This video camera is FOR the magic...

Maybe I'll wait until I have a more steady flow of money to get a more expensive camera.  And yes, I know what DOF is. 
The camera that I currently have is the Coolpix L110.  Maybe I can see if that can shoot in HD (it's my mom's).

EDIT:  This camera can only shoot in 720p, and I would prefer to have 1080p.
www.bedeceived.com

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2011, 04:50:37 AM »
Better equipment/gear =/= better skill. Just saying.

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2011, 11:40:49 AM »

EDIT:  This camera can only shoot in 720p, and I would prefer to have 1080p.

I only speak for myself and my friends, but we never play YouTube videos at 1080p.  It takes too long to load and the difference in audio/video quality is negligible.  I've also seen some 720p videos look better than other 1080p videos.  Resolution isn't everything.

Case in point (shameless plug): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POPZwZZM_pM

This video was recorded with a $200 Canon SD790IS P&S recorded at 480p resolution.  A newer decent P&S should be able to 720p that's more than enough for YouTube.

Offline Pyroph

« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2011, 11:42:55 AM »
If you do get a camera, check local camera shops. I went to a camera corner and got a great lens and package with my Rebbel T1i