Author Topic: Kansas City, MO / Suburbs near Kansas City in Kansas input  (Read 1903 times)

Offline Team Cool 4

Kansas City, MO / Suburbs near Kansas City in Kansas input
« on: March 22, 2011, 06:55:53 PM »
Hey everyone,

Just wondering if anyone has visited Kansas City or lives near the area?  My company asked me to move there for my job so I was just looking for input to see what you all thought about the city.  It will be a huge change considering I live near Chicago right now.

Thanks!

Offline MetalMike06

• DT.net Member
Re: Kansas City, MO / Suburbs near Kansas City in Kansas input
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 08:32:02 PM »
I live there. What area do you think you'll live in? 'Cause I'm not a big fan of suburbs (which are abundant here, as with any American city), but there are some very nice areas the closer in you go - Brookside is really nice. I like Westport as well, though it's more the party/bars area. If you're looking for a nice suburb, Leawood is probably considered one of the nicest. Really just depends what you're looking for and what you can afford. So basically I really like some parts of the city but overall it's not much different from any other American city the further out you go. Suburbs galore.

Offline HarlequinForest

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, 09:47:30 PM »
I've lived in Raytown, Lee's Summit, and now live in Grandview.  While the most expensive of the three, Lee's Summit is the nicest, and the schools are really good (if that's relevant to you).  I've never really lived outside of any Kansas City suburb, so I can't really relate it to other places.

Offline MetalMike06

• DT.net Member
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 06:10:49 AM »
Hmm, cool man! (I'm in GV as well). I always figured I was the only Kansas Citian on DTF.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 07:31:39 AM »
I can't help you other than to say..

I was born in Kansas City, Missouri! My father was in college there.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Team Cool 4

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2011, 09:08:16 AM »
Thanks for the info,

The office is going to be located in Overland Park, which I hear is a pretty cool town to live in.  I'm 24 and single so I'm not looking to party all the time, but still be around people my age for the most part.  I was checking out the lofts in the Power and Light district online and that seems like a cool area.  My company is flying me out there for a weekend in the next couple weeks to check everything out and then putting me up in a hotel for 3 weeks at the end of April until I find a place.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2011, 09:09:22 AM »
Sounds like an exciting change. Good luck!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline HarlequinForest

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2011, 10:04:36 AM »
Hmm, cool man! (I'm in GV as well). I always figured I was the only Kansas Citian on DTF.

Nice.   ;D

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2011, 10:13:10 AM »
I don't want to sound dickish, but they better have sugared up this move, no?

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Team Cool 4

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2011, 10:35:42 AM »
I don't want to sound dickish, but they better have sugared up this move, no?

haha, you don't at all.  The first time they said Kansas, I said hell no.  At that point it was the fact my job was being centralized out there and I wouldn't be getting a big enough raise to make it worth it.  Then they offered me a promotion of a substantial amount along with relocation money and the opportunity to get back out in Chicago within 2 years at a much higher level.  Luckily it is only a 55 minute airplane ride to Chicago so it won't be the worst and the cost of living is so cheap out that way.  And the fact that I will be able to still have a job is also a big plus with how the market is right now.

Offline MetalMike06

• DT.net Member
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2011, 12:30:09 PM »
Thanks for the info,

The office is going to be located in Overland Park, which I hear is a pretty cool town to live in.  I'm 24 and single so I'm not looking to party all the time, but still be around people my age for the most part.  I was checking out the lofts in the Power and Light district online and that seems like a cool area.  My company is flying me out there for a weekend in the next couple weeks to check everything out and then putting me up in a hotel for 3 weeks at the end of April until I find a place.

Hopefully you'll get a chance to check all the different areas out when you visit, but Power and Light definitely seems like the better option. Just a more lively, historic area in general.

Offline Team Cool 4

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2011, 01:23:39 PM »
Awesome!  Are there any good venues out there for Metal / Rock / Prog bands ?  Local or from a label?  I noticed that Dream Theater comes to KC very little, but oohh well.

Offline MetalMike06

• DT.net Member
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2011, 02:23:35 PM »
Actually on the P&L district there is a place called The Midland at AMC or something. There are concerts there all the time; I just saw Dark Tranquillity there last summer.
As far as a local metal scene...there isn't a huge one. Usually we play at pretty small places, not a whole lot of attendance. Last time DT came to KC they played at the Uptown Theater (I think it's around 34th and Broadway). Whenever G3 comes through here they usually play there.

Offline Team Cool 4

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2011, 06:32:17 PM »
Sweet, well I just got word today that I got the promotion so I will be moving there by April 25th.  We should meet up sometime at a bar or something or hit up a show.  I'm surprised that I'm excited to move, but I think it should actually be an awesome time.

Offline MetalMike06

• DT.net Member
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2011, 09:28:13 PM »
Definitely man, and congrats on the job.