Author Topic: amazon app store  (Read 4048 times)

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: amazon app store
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2011, 02:24:35 PM »
ok now this is getting silly. I never heard people use the word "app" like they do know. People didn't refer to their computer programs as "apps."
I guess you've never heard of the phrase "killer app" then.

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • ţađ besta sem guđ hefur skapađ er nýr dagur
« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2011, 03:01:53 PM »
tjanuranus, why do you care so much?

You and me go parallel, together and apart

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2011, 07:46:27 PM »
tjanuranus, why do you care so much?

:hat

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2011, 07:55:56 PM »
Because you're high?

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2011, 08:39:20 PM »
Because you're high?

because i'm an apple fanboy and let's be honest. These are the kinds of things that fanboys do.  :metal

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2011, 12:22:27 AM »
But seriously... You go out of your way to defend them and it just seemed a little excessive to me.

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2011, 12:59:41 AM »
no not really i try and be one of the lone fighters for them because on this site i see a lot of bashing there HAS to be a light in the darkness. God has chosen me to be the defender!  :metal :metal :metal :metal

Offline webpoet73

• DT.net Veteran
  • I am like a ghost...
« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2011, 05:06:48 AM »
tj, you're missing the point. I'm sure Apple could have a case to stop Windows and Amazon from naming their stores "App Store" but there's no way they can stop them from describing them as app stores, because that's what they are. Just like Apple can refer to the fact that they have windows in their OS, but wouldn't be allowed to name their OS "Windows".

That's what they are doing.  They are defending the name "App Store."   Not the description.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: March 25, 2011, 05:14:50 AM »
That's the thing "app store" IS a description.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #44 on: March 25, 2011, 12:12:09 PM »
I downloaded it. I tired to get AB Rio, but it froze halfway and is now stuck there.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #45 on: March 25, 2011, 12:16:02 PM »
Apple fanboys amuse me.  Hell, I bought an iMac two months ago, but I am not a big Apple fan by any stretch of the imagination.  Hell, whenever I buy individual songs online now, 99% of the time I get them at amazon, because I would rather give them the money than Apple.

Offline webpoet73

• DT.net Veteran
  • I am like a ghost...
« Reply #46 on: March 25, 2011, 12:35:10 PM »
That's the thing "app store" IS a description.

If you went up to any average person and said, "I got this app on the App Store..."  They would probably say, "cool, you must have an iPhone."  That's the argument that they used to get the TM.  Whether or not they should have got it is irrelevant here.  They have it and must defend it. 

Now, if MS successfully gets the Trademark office to repeal the TM, then Apple can no longer sue or whatever. 

I personally don't care if it has a TM or not, it doesn't affect me at all.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
« Reply #47 on: March 26, 2011, 08:03:59 AM »
I got Angry Birds Rio and Shazam for free. Really, the only reason I have it is for Rio and their Premium App of the Day for Free deal.

One thing I hate - the one click purchasing. Say you accidentally tap the Buy Now button next to an app while trying to scroll. BOOM! You've bought it, no chance to confirm and zero possibility of a refund. This already happened to me on an app I had no intention of purchasing. Thankfully, I had not yet confirmed my credit card info for the Appstore, so the order is pending. If it sits dormant for 5 days, they will cancel it. That's the only way I can avoid wasting the .99 on it. Serious flaw.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #48 on: March 26, 2011, 12:09:20 PM »
no not really i try and be one of the lone fighters for them because on this site i see a lot of bashing there HAS to be a light in the darkness. God has chosen me to be the defender!  :metal :metal :metal :metal
No offense to you, but what I'm trying to say is you going out of your way to defend is part of the reason get a lot of bashing. Of course, if they wouldn't get any bashing, you wouldn't feel the need to defend them, so it's kind of a vicious circle.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: March 26, 2011, 12:29:36 PM »
Apple fanboys amuse me.  Hell, I bought an iMac two months ago, but I am not a big Apple fan by any stretch of the imagination.  Hell, whenever I buy individual songs online now, 99% of the time I get them at amazon, because I would rather give them the money than Apple.

That, and Amazon doesn't restrict where/how you use the files you bought.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #50 on: March 26, 2011, 02:17:46 PM »

That, and Amazon doesn't restrict where/how you use the files you bought.

That, too.  What is strange, though, is one song at amazon might be 256 kbps and another might be 252 kbps (VBR).  I wish it would tell you ahead of time what it is (or maybe it does and I am just too clueless to know where to look :lol), because I usually like all of my mp3s to be in VBR.

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #51 on: March 26, 2011, 03:38:27 PM »
I think it's good to be passionate about things in life. This is just one of many things that i have strong feelings about. I'm not a star wars or star trek fanboy but i get why they are like that and will defend something until the end of time. The amount of time we have on our planet is so short that to be passionate about things and truly love people, art, and whatever else you want to love is great. Anyway i'm done. for now  :blush

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: July 07, 2011, 06:18:47 AM »
Remember when Apple sued Amazon, claiming the online retailer was infringing its "App Store" trademark? To stop Bezos and his boys from using the "Appstore" moniker for their Amazonian Android Market, Apple filed for a preliminary injunction last month, and today the judge denied that request. Despite the Cupertino company's claims of consumer confusion and brand dilution, the court found in Amazon's favor -- in part because the term "app store" is descriptive and is used by plenty of mobile software purveyors. Of course, this doesn't end the legal shenanigans between these two tech titans, but it does mean that Amazon's Appstore can keep its incredibly original name... for now. Want the full breakdown why Apple got a judicial stiff arm? Dig into a copy of the order denying its motion in the source link below.

https://www.engadget.com/2011/07/07/apples-request-for-preliminary-injunction-denied-amazons-apps/