Author Topic: Questioning Lots of Things  (Read 2776 times)

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
Questioning Lots of Things
« on: March 21, 2011, 06:04:14 PM »
Lately I have been going through this weird phase where I have been questioning lots of things. I think it finally dawned on me that the brunt of my college experience is almost over, so I am going over many of the choices I have made and wondering if I made any mistakes along the way.

I'm talking about things like: "Did I choose the right major?", "Did I have enough fun?", "Did I try enough new things?", "Did I do things the right way?", etc.

You know, nothing that makes me depressed or keeps me up at night, just many feelings of uncertainty. I feel like I need some reassurance right now: Is this normal and have any of you guys had a similar phase?
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: Questioning Lots of Things
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 06:05:59 PM »
Everything you have done has brought you to where you are. Where you are is the reality that you can't change, except in changing where you go from here. Don't ask "did I do enough?" ask "what more can I do?"
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 06:08:47 PM »
I'm going through those feelings right now.  I think its the basis of the "Twenty-somethings thread ver. What Am I Doing With My Life?" from a while back.  Its kind of scary knowing that next year you're going to be in the real world, and you need some real work experience pronto in order to have a chance right out of school, which is really hard to do, and you're starting to wonder about how much time was wasted and whether every or anything was worth it.  Basically, I sympathize with you, but Adami's advice is too good to ignore, though its so hard looking into the future at this point, IMO.

FEELS GREAT MAN!  Maybe burning down NC State will give you the answers you seek.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 06:09:36 PM »
Everything you have done has brought you to where you are. Where you are is the reality that you can't change, except in changing where you go from here. Don't ask "did I do enough?" ask "what more can I do?"

This is very true. I've gone through those feelings and regrets as well when finishing college, I still very much look back at my major and wish I could've been able to change it, but I couldn't and at the time I couldn't predict the future.

Almost everyone I know has gone through a similar questioning phase (most still are) but you have to look to future, set some goals, and work towards them.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 06:09:58 PM »
Frankly, cherish that feeling right now, because it means you still have ambition. Wait another 10 years and watch 90% of your friends drift into generic well-trodden tracks.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 06:43:52 PM »
I'm in the exact same place right now, I feel ya.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2011, 06:45:53 PM »

I'm graduating in May and starting law school in the fall. I know what I'm doing for the next 3 years and I'm still scared as hell about it.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2011, 06:46:40 PM »
I think it's normal, and is something almost everybody (if not everybody) feels at some point.  Whether or not you have made the "right" choices or "made the most" out of every opportunity in the past is irrelevant to whether or not you can try to do so today and tomorrow.  
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2011, 06:46:52 PM »

This. Infact, I need to pick a major by the end of this month. I was pretty sure about going into financing, but the current class I'm taking in it is making me completely question if that is a good idea.

Of all the times that I need to actually plan out my life, this is probably the worst time for it.  :lol

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2011, 06:47:43 PM »
I had those feeling overwhelm me to the breaking point a few years ago. I couldn't cope with them and I shut down for like a year. My fall actually snapped me out of it.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2011, 06:52:49 PM »
I'm sure it snapped something.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline j

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2011, 06:55:10 PM »

Well said, Adami. :)

-J

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2011, 08:06:18 PM »
Is Xanadu really an outlaw?
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2011, 08:22:20 PM »
I'm going through those feelings right now.  I think its the basis of the "Twenty-somethings thread ver.

I hate to break it to you sky but I still do it in my 40's.  It never ends.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2011, 10:16:29 PM »
Late 40's here, and no, it never ends, but it does change.  I've gone from asking whether or not I've made "good decisions" or even "the right decisions" and sometimes dwelling a bit too much on things I can pretty objectively say I fucked up, to the more holistic approach of reviewing past actions with an eye towards evaluating what worked and what didn't work so that future decisions can benefit from past experience.

A lot of it comes from spending quite a few years now in the business world.  In business, there are always projects, major or minor undertakings in order to accomplish something.  Some specific task with measureable results.  You look at what needs to be done and investigate different options and weigh out the costs and benefits of each, but you also look at what worked in the past and what didn't.  You adjust, you take into account how things have changed since then, and you don't make the same mistakes twice.  When the project concludes, you review the entire process.  Even things that went well are dissected because knowing what works and knowing what doesn't work are equally important.

Real life isn't exactly like business of course, and truly, you can suck a lot of the fun out of life by getting too hung up in the details.  Trying to plan things out too much and not really enjoying what you're doing because you're thinking too much about it, because that's supposed to result in you enjoying things more, and it ironically has the opposite effect.  But only idiots don't learn from their past.  And to learn from it, gain perspective and experience, perhaps even wisdom, you have to look at it critically and evaluate things.  What worked and what didn't.  Not so you can sit and worry about it, or whine about things that could have been but won't now because of a choice you made; but so you can avoid feeling like that again because you learned from it.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2011, 06:06:30 PM »
It's definitely normal, dude, I'm sure most of us go through it.

Maybe at the end of it you'll become a seasoned DT fan.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2011, 06:10:05 PM »

Oh God the memories :lol

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2011, 06:11:46 PM »
20-somethings thread needs to be revived.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2011, 06:58:36 PM »
I had those feeling overwhelm me to the breaking point a few years ago. I couldn't cope with them and I shut down for like a year. My fall actually snapped me out of it.

While I met most of my goals I set out to do a year after graduation, which it will be this May. I still feel somewhat like I wasted this past year.

Offline ScioPath

• the king of dance
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2011, 08:02:01 PM »

Mind if I print this out, frame it, and put it on my wall?

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2011, 08:56:27 PM »
I think it's normal, and is something almost everybody (if not everybody) feels at some point.  Whether or not you have made the "right" choices or "made the most" out of every opportunity in the past is irrelevant to whether or not you can try to do so today and tomorrow.  

This is a glorious post.

Also, I find its helpful not to dwell on how things could have been. If you want to do something differently, do it today.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2011, 08:23:33 AM »

Oh God the memories :lol

Does anyone remember the picture I had with the seasoning and a fat red line through it? :rollin

I want to use it again but I don't have it anymore. :sadpanda:
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2011, 09:29:02 AM »
I remember it, but I didn't save it.  :(

(If you discovery it somewhere, post it here)

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2011, 12:13:10 AM »
I'm kind of having a mid life crisis from turning 20 later this year

it fucking scares the shit out of me, I'm not done with being a teenager

I do well in college, I get good grades and everything, but I haven't the slightest fucking clue on what to major in and I'm going into my third year this fall. i've never in my whole life thought about what I would be like as an adult, and it's because I guess I've never wanted to be one. Being an adult just seems like a major boner killer, and like adults just see it necessary to work their early years away only to retire and finally live a free life at an age where you're too fucking old to do anything meaningful anyways besides run out the clock in a condo in Florida. I guess I just don't really desire becoming wealthy at any point, I just want to do whatever I do and live in whatever city I feel like with nothing attached because settling down means death to me.

also from a young age I always figured I would live to be about 30, that seems like a long enough life. my parents made me stop saying that though.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2011, 08:57:07 AM »
I'm kind of having a mid life crisis from turning 20 later this year

it fucking scares the shit out of me, I'm not done with being a teenager

I do well in college, I get good grades and everything, but I haven't the slightest fucking clue on what to major in and I'm going into my third year this fall. i've never in my whole life thought about what I would be like as an adult, and it's because I guess I've never wanted to be one. Being an adult just seems like a major boner killer, and like adults just see it necessary to work their early years away only to retire and finally live a free life at an age where you're too fucking old to do anything meaningful anyways besides run out the clock in a condo in Florida. I guess I just don't really desire becoming wealthy at any point, I just want to do whatever I do and live in whatever city I feel like with nothing attached because settling down means death to me.

also from a young age I always figured I would live to be about 30, that seems like a long enough life. my parents made me stop saying that though.

I hear you dude. As I said in the chat thread, I missed the deadline for declaring my major, so I gotta go this afternoon and hope someone will still let me in. But like you, I honestly have never really thought about what I want to do. I feel like I could do most things, but I can't see myself being happy doing any of them. I'm just going with business because it's broad enough that I'm sure I could land some job at some point. And sadly, if you don't have a job, you're probably gonna be even more miserable then if you have a shitty one you hate.

But I'm so sick of school, I'd almost rather have a career at this point. Maybe it will still feel like a complete waste of time, but hopefully it'll be more productive than what I'm doing now... which is basically wasting 4 years of my life in school when I'm not really learning anything. And yet somehow I still get good grades, which completely baffles me.

In short, growing up sucks. I've lost pretty much any drive I've ever had. I've transcended not giving a fuck.... I have simply become.... fuck.