Author Topic: Just finished Party Down V. I hate it when great shows get cancelled!  (Read 3329 times)

Offline tjanuranus

Ok i'm not sure if i am using the v. thing right because i've never used it before,  :omg: But i just finished Party down and i loved it! I was so pissed because i'll never get to see more and it's such a great show. WTF is wrong with people? This show gets cancelled but all these bullshit reality shows stay on forever! UGH

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Just finished Party Down V. I hate it when great shows get cancelled!
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 07:51:22 AM »
Never heard of Party Down and I watch alot of TV.

What type of ratings did the show have? Unfortuneatly unless a show is a hit with the critics and the mass market, it will not last long, thats just TV
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 12:23:22 PM »
It was a huge hit with critics and people who love great TV writing. Unfortunately it was on the Stars network and no one watches that. It became succesful on netflix instant but that doesn't count for the ratings to it got cancelled. I wish they would put it on HBO, it would probably be a hit there.

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 12:25:01 PM »
here is an article about it...

https://www.hitfix.com/blogs/whats-alan-watching/posts/interview-lizzy-caplan-on-the-party-down-cancellation

Interview: Lizzy Caplan on the 'Party Down' cancellation

Lizzy Caplan got one hell of a rotten birthday present on Wednesday, when her agent woke her up with the news that Starz had canceled "Party Down," the hilarious but low-rated Starz comedy about a team of Hollywood wannabes working as cater-waiters.

"Happy birthday to me," Caplan lamented in a phone interview this afternoon, in her familiar sarcastic tone. "I thought I asked for the opposite of that for my birthday. I guess (Starz president) Chris Albrecht misheard me."

(More from Caplan after the jump...)

Caplan, like the rest of the "Party Down" cast and crew, wasn't exactly surprised by the decision, given the show's microscopic ratings, "But the ratings thing is interesting on our show, because none of the people we know who watch it watch it on Starz, or if they do, they certainly don't watch it Friday at 10 on Starz. They showed episodes weeks earlier, they streamed them and aired them on other channels. Plus, we were always kind of told ratings didn't matter, that we were making a tiny, low-budget show. You would think acclaim made up for a lack of ratings.

"Our fans, even though we didn't have huge numbers," she added, "were exactly the type of people we were hoping to impress: smart and vocal and funny and almost snobby about their comedy preferences. You look at hugely-rated shows like 'Two and a Half Men' that get like a gazillion viewers - I have the sneaking suspicion that not one of them watches 'Party Down.' I think if a girl who liked 'Party Down' found out that her boyfriend liked 'Two and a Half Men,' she would break up with him.  I wish we could have reached a larger audience, because more people would have seen it and we might still be on, but it always sort of felt like the appeal for our fans was that the show felt like it was theirs. It belonged to them, and they discovered it, and they told their circles of friends. It was like a secret club of people in the know.

"Of course, secret clubs don't usually lead to TV show pick-ups."

Network pilot season took place during the long layoff between when "Party Down" season two finished filming and when it actually aired, and Caplan, like her co-stars, was faced with the choice of taking another job and risking being unavailable should Starz renew the series. Adam Scott went to "Parks and Recreation," Ryan Hansen did NBC's "Friends with Benefits," and Caplan was approached by the producers of the CBS pilot "Mad Love." She agreed to do it, but only as a guest star whose role would be recast if the show got picked up.

"'Party Down' had at once nothing and everything to do with why I didn't sign onto that show past the pilot," she said. "If one were to bet on which show, even at that time, would end up on the air, it would probably end up being 'Mad Love.' It was one of the more talked-about scripts of pilot season, had a really good cast, CBS was very high on it, and 'Party Down' had lost its lead actor to 'Parks and Rec,' I think Ryan was gone too, and the fate of our show was in the hands of a guy who showed absolutely zero enthusiasm for it. So there was that on the one hand."

She called the "Mad Love" pilot shoot an "extremely positive" experience and complimented leading man Tyler Labine as "one of the great comic actors of our generation," but said ultimately it wasn't the kind of show she wanted to do.

"It was never about picking that show or 'Party Down.' It was more that working on 'Party Down' for two seasons opened my eye to the type of show I want to be doing right now, this year. Maybe I will have to think differently next year, I don't know.

"Because 'Party Down' was on cable, we were able to take it much further than a network show. Beyond cursing and showing boobs and dick, we could make it depressing and really really dark, and that's not as easy to do on a CBS sitcom. Being able to play comedy and drama on a TV show is kind of a dream job for me. I'm more drawn to those kinds of comedies than ones that are just set-up/joke, set-up/joke. Even now, knowing the fate of 'Party Down,' if they were to offer me one more shot, I don't think I would take back any decision that I made."

Though her now-ex-boss Rob Thomas hasn't had much luck with his quest to adapt "Veronica Mars" for the big screen, Caplan said she's pushing for a "Party Down" movie.

"We want it so bad. We could do it for no money, no time. We would do it for free. I just don't know if we're legally allowed to do it."

But she remains extremely proud of the two seasons the show produced, and of the work environment that Thomas and fellow producers John Enbom and Dan Etheridge created, and of the relationships she made.

"John Enbom put it best: 'They canceled our summer camp.'"

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 12:34:30 PM »
It was a huge hit

Unfortunately it was on the Stars network and no one watches that.
Does not compute.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Online Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 12:38:25 PM »
Party Down is an awesome show that was never given a chance because of where it was aired.  If you have Netflix instant, I highly recommend it.

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2011, 01:06:33 PM »
It was a huge hit

Unfortunately it was on the Stars network and no one watches that.
Does not compute.

huge hit with critics. Not ratings.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2011, 01:14:20 PM »
Absolutely brilliant show.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2011, 06:54:09 AM »
I hate it too!! Stargate Universe was/is a great show!

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2011, 12:32:37 PM »
I hate it too!! Stargate Universe was/is a great show!

Yea, I was so upset when SGU got canceled. Seriously one of the better Sci-fi shows I have ever seen. But it seems all good shows get canceled these days.

Very sad :(

Oh yea, Party Down is amazing. I also watched it on Netflix instant because I don't have cable. But I bought both seasons on DVD and it's absolutely amazing. I was really sad when it got shut down.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline LeeHarveyKennedy

• Who is posting?
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Oh my God, LHK is posting! How can that be?
Re: Maybe it's the name? No way to tell for sure
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2011, 12:36:25 PM »
On a semi-related note, I just wanted to pop in and say that I've always pictured you as Adam Scott, adami.
HOLY MARY MOTHER OF GOD!!!!!  THIS is why LHK is the President of Awesome.

Why is everything you post the best thing ever said?  :lol

LHK is beyond EPIC.
 :hefdaddy

Online Adami

Re: Maybe it's the name? No way to tell for sure
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2011, 12:39:06 PM »
On a semi-related note, I just wanted to pop in and say that I've always pictured you as Adam Scott, adami.

Like you always assumed my name was Adami Scott? Or you thought I was a lot like Adam Scott? Or just that there's 1 letter difference between Adami and Adam?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2011, 12:41:21 PM »
Was your username always capitalized? :P

Offline LeeHarveyKennedy

• Who is posting?
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Oh my God, LHK is posting! How can that be?
Re: I know what you're thinking, and no, I don't look like Amy Adams
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2011, 12:43:45 PM »

Like you always assumed my name was Adami Scott? Or you thought I was a lot like Adam Scott? Or just that there's 1 letter difference between Adami and Adam?

No, if I try to picture what I think you look like, I end up with Adam Scott (Parks & Rec Adam Scott, not Step Brothers Adam Scott).
HOLY MARY MOTHER OF GOD!!!!!  THIS is why LHK is the President of Awesome.

Why is everything you post the best thing ever said?  :lol

LHK is beyond EPIC.
 :hefdaddy

Online Adami

Re: I know what you're thinking, and no, I don't look like Amy Adams
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2011, 02:09:10 PM »

No, if I try to picture what I think you look like, I end up with Adam Scott (Parks & Rec Adam Scott, not Step Brothers Adam Scott).

I'd prefer to look like Adam Scott. At least he has hair. :(
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2015, 06:31:09 AM »
I'm rewatching this show now that my girlfriend just started it. I have watched the series once before. I watched both seasons in the 36 hours before Netflix took it down. Phenomenal show. It's on Hulu now. Great cast. Great writing. Good jokes. All around just a fantastic show. It's got a Freaks and Geeks Vibe in a way.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 06:47:29 AM by Chino »

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2015, 08:28:22 AM »
Yes! Amazing show, I remember posting about it a while back; surprised I never found this thread. I still rewatch the series once every few months. I absolutely love the comedy in it and I can especially relate, being in the industry and knowing those feels.

I think my favorite episode is Not On Your Wife Opening Night. Fucking Roman getting drunk... "I AM BACHUS! THE WINE IS RED AND YOU SHALL HAVE RED WINE!", making out with the guy n girl.  :rollin

Utterly great show and proof that only the amazing shows get cancelled cause fuck tv networks all around.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2015, 07:39:01 AM »
" Will My Show Get Cancelled ?! "

IS THE SHOW ON THE FOX NETWORK ? ---------------YES---------It Will Get Cancelled
                                                         |
                                                         |
                                                         |
                                                         |__________NO_______ Maybe. If the ratings are not good enough.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2015, 10:40:34 AM »
 :lol Yup. Sad and true.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Online SoundscapeMN

« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2023, 01:10:55 PM »
bump.

1st episode aired/is on Demand on Starz!

loved it.

Online Adami

« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2023, 01:25:09 PM »
bump.

1st episode aired/is on Demand on Starz!

loved it.

So pissed I don’t have Starz. Love party down. Will find a way to watch it somehow.
fanticide.bandcamp.com