Author Topic: Update: my new CD coming soon - NOW AVAILABLE!  (Read 6294 times)

Offline mrjazzguitar

• I play guitar.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • rump horrot
Re: Update: my new CD coming soon - NOW AVAILABLE!
« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2011, 03:08:28 PM »
It arrived today! 7 day delivery I think and I live in the Land Downunder so that's a really good delivery speed :tup

Now. The album! I believe I'm the first DTFer to hear (or at least) report that I've listened to it. It's very good and is one of the best albums so far of 2011 for sure. I'll be listening to it throughout the week.
The Desert And The City, Atonement, The Gate, The Reckoning, Undeniable, and Dark Star are my favourites so far. Sounds excellent on headphones btw.
Congratulations on putting out an awesome debut, Mike! :tup

ThroughHerEyesDude, you're going to love it.

And I do... :millahhhh Already contender for best album of the year for me.

woah thanks man! you guys wouldn't happen to be New York Times Critics, would you?? really happy you all are digging it!

Offline ThroughHerEyesDude6

• Studio Artist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Art keeps me alive
« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2011, 05:26:35 PM »
Me, a critic?  :lol I just know a good thing when I hear it.

Offline MetalMike06

• DT.net Member
« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2011, 08:33:13 PM »
Jazz is normally kinda hard for me to get into, but I really enjoyed that. I'll definitely check it out some more.  :tup

Offline mrjazzguitar

• I play guitar.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • rump horrot
« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2011, 01:33:55 PM »
I was just having this conversation last night: what makes something 'jazz' (or classical or rock, etc).

MANY people say jazz = swing, and there is NO swing in my music. Some say that having improvisation = jazz. There is improvisation in my music, but more through-composed music. And rock, blues, metal, etc. have improvisation, too.

Is it the vocabulary in the improvisation? I've never learned or transcribed a jazz solo in my life - my vocab is purely what I've picked up from listening to all kinds of music.

Is it the instrumentation? Does having saxophone and double bass make it jazz??

I'd say, beyond any doubt, that my music more closely resembles rock and classical music than it does jazz (while there are certainly elements of jazz in it).