Author Topic: Thinking of getting a smartphone.  (Read 2559 times)

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
Thinking of getting a smartphone.
« on: March 20, 2011, 01:00:50 AM »
I'm considering switching to Verizon and getting a droid. My current bill with unlimited data is around 75 dollars a month. If I were to go with Verizon, it would be around 100. If I do this, it will probably be after I get a better job. Anyone use Verizon? Or anyone have alternate suggestions?
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Thinking of getting a smartphone.
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2011, 01:06:04 AM »
I have a "normal" Samsung phone with Verizon. I've never had a bad experience with Verizon and have nothing but positive things to say about them. Although, admittedly, I have no idea how good or bad their service would be on a smartphone, or if it would make any difference at all.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2011, 07:04:44 AM »
100 dollars a month? That's insane. I pay 20 euros for unlimited texting and 350 minutes. Going to switch to 200 minutes and 200 texts for 6 euro a month though.

Offline TimmyHiggy

• Not the droid you are looking for
  • Maybe its just another drill?
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2011, 08:20:57 AM »
I have an htc wildfire, and I love it. Whilst it does feel a little under-specc'd for the OS, the sheer greatness of android shines through to overcome the slightly slow nature of the phone. You get used to it too, just pause to let it load for a second before you stab at it with your fingers and say "it doesnt work". Of course it doesnt, you just told it to scroll, zoom and go back before it even loaded the page!
Sorry I am ranting.
i heard if you put bread in the rooof of your mouth it means oyu don't cvry when you're shoocppig ononsosni.
<br />/I vea aben told buy   spletn spencer adn timhiggy and that zletar guy to potost gcase imm drunk for the fist imeiiiiiiiiiiiii eoand evryoen ois mkaking funof eme :O(<br />
<br />

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2011, 09:16:21 AM »
100 dollars a month? That's insane. I pay 20 euros for unlimited texting and 350 minutes. Going to switch to 200 minutes and 200 texts for 6 euro a month though.

Yes, but he's also getting unlimited data.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline TheVoxyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2011, 09:21:17 AM »
True, but still... 100 dollar? I think over here that would cost 30 euro tops. If I remember correctly from last time I checked, unlimited data was somewhere between 10 and 15 euro.

Offline TimmyHiggy

• Not the droid you are looking for
  • Maybe its just another drill?
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2011, 09:31:21 AM »
With a smartphone on an unlimited data plan and the way you can tether them via usb to use their internet connection/use them as a wireless hotspot, home broadband will have to roll over and die some time not too far away!
I don't use the internet for gaming or torrenting, so "fast enough" for me is the point where you can download a high quality video (eg bbc iplayer) faster than you watch it, and smartphones are pretty much there already!
i heard if you put bread in the rooof of your mouth it means oyu don't cvry when you're shoocppig ononsosni.
<br />/I vea aben told buy   spletn spencer adn timhiggy and that zletar guy to potost gcase imm drunk for the fist imeiiiiiiiiiiiii eoand evryoen ois mkaking funof eme :O(<br />
<br />

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2011, 09:47:27 AM »
Unlimited voice, text and data should be about $75.  I have none of that and it's never been a problem.  300 minutes plus my favs, free nights and weekends and t-mobile to t-mobile has been more than enough for me.  As for data, I set up wifi at home and at the shop so I rarely use the 3G connection. I haven't come close to my 200mb yet. 

I'm quite happy with my Galaxy S.  I researched a few smartphones and it was the clear winner.  And since it's 3g instead of 4g, it only set me back $99. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Edan the Man

• DTF.org Alumni
  • I got my special savin' the world boots on
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2011, 10:59:29 AM »
Unlimited voice, text and data should be about $75.  I have none of that and it's never been a problem.  300 minutes plus my favs, free nights and weekends and t-mobile to t-mobile has been more than enough for me.  As for data, I set up wifi at home and at the shop so I rarely use the 3G connection. I haven't come close to my 200mb yet. 

I'm quite happy with my Galaxy S.  I researched a few smartphones and it was the clear winner.  And since it's 3g instead of 4g, it only set me back $99. 
I also have the Galaxy S, great phone.

And does Verizon still have unlimited data? I'm on AT&T and they killed all the unlimited data plans :(. Which was a big deal when tethering was my only internet access, but isn't as much a problem now.

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2011, 11:04:11 AM »
True, but still... 100 dollar? I think over here that would cost 30 euro tops. If I remember correctly from last time I checked, unlimited data was somewhere between 10 and 15 euro.

You forget how we do things over here. If the price of something can be raised, RAISE IT

because people are going to pay to use it anyway. Smell that pure, sweet profit.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2011, 11:12:18 AM »
I got myself a Nexus S yesterday, really loving it so far! Android software is really nice, I'm definitely preferring it to iOS!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline TheVoxyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2011, 11:12:54 AM »

You forget how we do things over here. If the price of something can be raised, RAISE IT

because people are going to pay to use it anyway. Smell that pure, sweet profit.
Sorry, didn't realise that.

But seriously, the prices mentioned here are outrageously high. And I thought phone plans were expensive over here...

Offline PetFish

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2011, 11:19:40 AM »
North American cellular rates are an absolute travesty when compared to Europe and Asia.

Here in Canada some carriers even charge you for RECEIVING texts so if someone hates you they can spam your phone with texts to cost you a fortune so it basically forces you to add a texting plan to your account for another $10/month to avoid the charges.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2011, 12:28:08 PM »
I love my droidX. Posting from it now...

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2011, 08:27:01 AM »
Phones don't make you any smarter.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White