Author Topic: Most Underrated Bands (by the forum)  (Read 5080 times)

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Most Underrated Bands (by the forum)
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2011, 01:25:21 PM »
Queen (not enough recognition of them as a true "progressive" band)
Kansas (just a few people seem to really dig them)

I am surprised that more people here aren't into Kansas. Yes, I'm a total Kansas fanboy, so I'm biased, but Dream Theater has definitely been influenced by them, and they were pretty much the first big American progressive rock band, so it seems like they'd have more of a following in this community. They have a lot more to offer than just "Carry on Wayward Son" and "Dust in the Wind," and most of their other material is much proggier.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2011, 01:31:28 PM »

I am surprised that more people here aren't into Kansas. Yes, I'm a total Kansas fanboy, so I'm biased, but Dream Theater has definitely been influenced by them, and they were pretty much the first big American progressive rock band, so it seems like they'd have more of a following in this community. They have a lot more to offer than just "Carry on Wayward Son" and "Dust in the Wind," and most of their other material is much proggier.
I'm a huge Kansas fan. I've seen them live about 10 times.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2011, 01:37:29 PM »

I'm a huge Kansas fan. I've seen them live about 10 times.
I've seen them 5 times, including one performance about 2 weeks ago. They were great, and Steve sounded better than I've heard him in a long time.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2011, 01:40:59 PM »
I love em too.  seen them 8 times.  I think that because they are not guitar driven in the eyes of the younger generation so they don't listen to them as say Rush.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2011, 01:49:43 PM »
I love em too.  seen them 8 times.  I think that because they are not guitar driven in the eyes of the younger generation so they don't listen to them as say Rush.
This is a good point. Kansas is not guitar-driven AT ALL (though "Carry on Wayward Son" would lead you to believe otherwise). It's all about keyboard and violin.

Offline Marvellous G

• I'm not sure on the avatar swearing policy...
« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2011, 03:35:53 PM »
Most pop music.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2011, 04:03:47 PM »
I've really been meaning to check out Kansas.  I like Billy Greer and his solo project with Mike Slamer, Seventh Key.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline dethklok09

• Mike
  • Great band
« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2011, 04:29:31 PM »
Devin Townsend has his few fanbois, but he needs to be appreciated even more.

He's appreciated just fine. Bands like Mew, Arcade Fire, dredg, The Dear Hunter, Brand New and Bright Eyes need to be appreciated more on DTF.
I was under the impression that these bands were huge for most people on this site.

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2011, 04:32:40 PM »
Most pop music.
Because it's crap lol

But seriously I think this thread is more about bands on the prog/metal realm that don't receive much appreciation.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2011, 04:39:40 PM »
This forum is sort of down on fun, danceable, poppier stuff.  But there's lots of good stuff out there that doesn't get discussed as much here.

For example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iqlb7CH60XI

Chromeo is awesome o/

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: March 21, 2011, 04:41:45 PM »
I've really been meaning to check out Kansas.  I like Billy Greer and his solo project with Mike Slamer, Seventh Key.
If you're a fan of Billy Greer and Seventh Key, I might also recommend Streets, Steve Walsh's 80's band with Greer and Slamer. Or for a mostly acoustic project, Native Window, which is the current Kansas lineup minus Steve Walsh, featuring Greer on lead vocals.

Kansas's most recent album, Somewhere to Elsewhere, is great as well, and it has a song with Greer featured on lead vocals. In addition, Kansas's first 5 studio albums are must-haves, in my opinion. Leftoverture and Point of Know Return are the most obvious starting points.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: March 21, 2011, 06:51:57 PM »
Yeah, have heard about Streets, should check them out aswell.  I'm a huge fan of Slamers guitar playing.  Greer's got a unique but pleasent voice too, great stuff.  I'll have to put both these bands on the list.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: March 22, 2011, 12:37:14 AM »
Yeah, have heard about Streets, should check them out aswell.  I'm a huge fan of Slamers guitar playing.  Greer's got a unique but pleasent voice too, great stuff.  I'll have to put both these bands on the list.
I believe the first Streets album is the more hard-rocking of the two, with the latter venturing a little bit more into somewhat poppier territory at times. I only have their King Biscuit Flower Hour performance, which mainly (or only) features material from the first album, and I enjoy it.