Author Topic: The Official Opeth Thread: New Album now streaming  (Read 352172 times)

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
Re: The Official Opeth Thread v. NEW ALBUM?!?!
« Reply #70 on: March 16, 2011, 02:05:58 AM »
Rankings again? Alright then... Mine has changed a bit since the last time:

Ghost Reveries
Watershed
My Arms, Your Hearse
Still Life
Orchid
Morningrise
Blackwater Park
Damnation
Deliverance

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #71 on: March 16, 2011, 10:46:25 AM »
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #72 on: March 16, 2011, 12:20:16 PM »
I don't like the way the name stands out against the design, it looks really weird.

/picky bitch
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #73 on: March 16, 2011, 12:40:55 PM »
orchid and morning rise might get too much hate on this forum (kind of a depressing album, but i don't mind morning rise at all. in fact, i was in love with it a decade ago). but the real question is, why doesn't MA,YH get enough hate?

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #74 on: March 16, 2011, 12:42:48 PM »
Because MAYH is fucking amazing and anyone who disagrees can drown in boiling lava lamp liquid.

Offline Marvellous G

• I'm not sure on the avatar swearing policy...
« Reply #75 on: March 16, 2011, 12:45:22 PM »
Just listened to Bleak again for the first time in ages. Still their best song by miles IMO.

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #76 on: March 16, 2011, 12:47:58 PM »
Because MAYH is fucking amazing and anyone who disagrees can drown in boiling lava lamp liquid.

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #77 on: March 16, 2011, 12:51:14 PM »
evil.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #78 on: March 16, 2011, 12:53:47 PM »
Personally it feels a bit like the Opeth-"fans" on this forum spends more time bashing their music then praising it.
Even though I haven't listened to the band that hardcore the last year, this is still one of the first bands I could think of, where every album and song really holds a high quality.

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #79 on: March 16, 2011, 12:58:42 PM »
it seems like any band that releases an album sans bass player in which a guitarist in the band takes over bass duties in studio...i don't know, all such albums turn out far worse than previous efforts. it's like a guy's so concerned with double duty, he forgets bout making sure the song writing's "on".

pain of salvation is the exception. searching my brain for other notable exceptions. might take a while.

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #80 on: March 16, 2011, 01:02:34 PM »
Personally it feels a bit like the Opeth-"fans" on this forum spends more time bashing their music then praising it.

dream theater gets it quite a bit too, no?

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #81 on: March 16, 2011, 01:09:52 PM »
Even though I haven't listened to the band that hardcore the last year, this is still one of the first bands I could think of, where every album and song really holds a high quality.
Well it's not very interesting if we all just say, "Wow, Opeth's awesome! Yeah, they're awesome! I like this song! Yeah, me too!" It's the disagreements that get the discussion going.

Offline Marvellous G

• I'm not sure on the avatar swearing policy...
« Reply #82 on: March 16, 2011, 01:13:00 PM »
Well it's not very interesting if we all just say, "Wow, Opeth's awesome! Yeah, they're awesome! I like this song! Yeah, me too!" It's the disagreements that get the discussion going.

And yet the PT thread is massive.

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #83 on: March 16, 2011, 01:20:51 PM »
but everyone disagrees and the level of awesomeness that is the incident, no?

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #84 on: March 16, 2011, 01:31:23 PM »

And yet the PT thread is massive.
And boring. :p

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #85 on: March 16, 2011, 02:57:45 PM »
Uh, welcome to fans of all bands everywhere ever. :lol

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #86 on: March 16, 2011, 03:15:01 PM »
it seems like any band that releases an album sans bass player in which a guitarist in the band takes over bass duties in studio...i don't know, all such albums turn out far worse than previous efforts. it's like a guy's so concerned with double duty, he forgets bout making sure the song writing's "on".

Martin Lopez was in the band at the time of MAYH, but he didn't have enough time to learn the bass parts before they could go into the studio to record, so Mikael played them because he knew them.  It wasn't planned, so that argument goes out the window.  Besides, all the songs are perfect.

@Zantera: Oh please.  If we don't like something by them, we're allowed to discuss why.  I mean, I don't like two Opeth albums as a whole, and love five of them.  Am I really an Opeth "fan?"  Besides, with your "bashing" of BWP (to use the definition you seem to be using), you're an Opeth "fan" as well.  :biggrin:

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #87 on: March 16, 2011, 03:15:34 PM »
I only bash Orchid (because it blows). Every other album, Morningrise thru Watershed, is a masterpiece. Sometimes it may seem like I bash Watershed, but that's only because it's my least favorite of their other albums besides Orchid. And also because it had the unfortunate task of trying to follow my favorite album of all time. But I still like it a lot.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #88 on: March 16, 2011, 03:21:14 PM »
Well, this is all very silly.

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #89 on: March 16, 2011, 03:54:45 PM »

Martin Lopez was in the band at the time of MAYH, but he didn't have enough time to learn the bass parts before they could go into the studio to record, so Mikael played them because he knew them.  It wasn't planned, so that argument goes out the window.  Besides, all the songs are perfect.

i wouldn't say it goes out the window. it should hardly be the reason i don't like the album anywayz, but it's something weird i've noticed amongst various bands. oh, and it's martin mendez you're thinking of.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #90 on: March 16, 2011, 04:08:12 PM »
yeah get it straight matt. lopezwas the drummer :D

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #91 on: March 16, 2011, 04:31:13 PM »
Oh my God I'm ashamed of myself *strangles self with bass strings*

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #92 on: March 16, 2011, 04:48:36 PM »
Yeah asshole.

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #93 on: March 16, 2011, 05:59:12 PM »
Oh my God I'm ashamed of myself *strangles self with mikael akerfeldt's bass strings from MA,YH sessions*

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #94 on: March 16, 2011, 06:18:14 PM »
Don't be silly, those have been in a landfill for more than ten years.

EDIT: PoO: Wait, did you just admit that the little scheduling snafu with MAYH isn't a reason to dislike the album, and then make a joke not-so-subtly hinting that you're still displeased with it?

EDIT2: Lol, your acronym is "poo"
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 06:34:38 PM by skydivingninja »

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #95 on: March 17, 2011, 02:54:30 AM »
To me it feels logical somehow that all you prog-wankers (no offense)  :biggrin: prefers the latter half of the Opeth-discography, because the production on their albums has gotten more... cleaner. (I guess that's a good word for it)
Personally, what I love about the production on Orchid>Still Life is how 'Opeth' it feels, the type of music they play shouldn't be 'warm', it's meant to be raw, cold, dark and brutal!
Anyhow, as I've said earlier, I don't really hate Blackwater Park.
It's a good album with a lot of really good songs, the only fault I have with it is the sound, sadly.

Offline ThroughHerEyesDude6

• Studio Artist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Art keeps me alive
« Reply #96 on: March 17, 2011, 03:06:30 AM »
As a sign of peace, I shall refrain from hating anything Opeth in this thread. Consdier it the new me. So therefore I shall commence with my thoughts:

My favorite three albums from them in order would have to be Damnation, Still Life, Watershed. I love the way they experiment with their sound (albeit far from their roots as the dark, haunting, grisly sounding death metal act they once were) and try new things.
The other day I gave "Moonlapse Vertigo" the appreciative listen that it so (now) rightly deserves and I love the use of funk chords. Why I never gave it the  :metal that it deserves in the first place baffles me, but then I remember "The Moor", "Serenity Painted Death" and "Godhead's Lament", and then I  :facepalm:

Now, as for the production standpoint you all are going on about, I tend to sway more towards a cleaner sound, but don't get me wrong. I think MorningRise is one of their strongest efforts and truly shows the lengths they can achieve.
to this day I still do not own Orchid, and I plan to change that very soon. Hopefully before their 10th album comes out. So here's hoping.

As for the haters, go ahead and hate, we'll ignore you anyway  :biggrin:

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #97 on: March 17, 2011, 05:32:15 AM »
Zantera: What if lots of people just don't like the songs on Morningrise and the production is just another bad thing to add to the list?  No, couldn't possibly be that:biggrin:

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #98 on: March 17, 2011, 05:34:16 AM »
To me it feels logical somehow that all you prog-wankers (no offense)  :biggrin: prefers the latter half of the Opeth-discography, because the production on their albums has gotten more... cleaner. (I guess that's a good word for it)

Not really, cause I quite like Orchid. Morningrise simply isn't that good of an album.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #99 on: March 17, 2011, 05:54:04 AM »
Zantera: What if lots of people just don't like the songs on Morningrise and the production is just another bad thing to add to the list?  No, couldn't possibly be that:biggrin:

Well, considering how many fantastic songs the first albums has. :P
I can sorta get the hate for Morningrise a bit, because not many songs on it gets regular plays from my side, however I do think The Night and the Silent Water is a classic, and would probably be in my top5 Opeth-songs.
The same goes for In Mist She Was Standing on Orchid.  :P

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #100 on: March 17, 2011, 05:56:27 AM »
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaandlolsubjectivity.  TNATSW is the only song from Morningrise that I could really see myself loving.  Advent and To Bid You Farewell are good, but compare that to all the awesome songs on every album since then, and Morningrise can't compete, IMO.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #101 on: March 17, 2011, 10:48:24 AM »

This is the case for me. Bad production and even worse songs. If production was the only issue I wouldn't like Orchid.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #102 on: March 17, 2011, 10:50:47 AM »
Orchid and Morningrise are excellent albums.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #103 on: March 17, 2011, 12:04:16 PM »

For me, the production is part of it, but I also find the music considerably less interesting as well. But anyway, what do clean production and "prog-wankery" have to do with each other?

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #104 on: March 17, 2011, 12:07:34 PM »
Let's just leaving it with "Morningrise and Orchid sucks, anyone who says otherwise should die painfully" :P