Author Topic: What's the origin of your username?  (Read 13244 times)

Offline robwebster

Re: What's the origin of your username?
« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2011, 04:37:44 AM »
Killed a man for mine.

Not deliberately! It was a bar brawl, and it got out of hand. Not to mention that he started it, so it's his own stupid fault. But yeah, I kind of got caught up in the moment, and having played so many RPGs, looting the corpse just sort of... happened.

I'm not proud of it! Not for a second. But I'm not ashamed, either.

A friend from high school and I developed several inside jokes related to the play "Waiting for Godot" because we found the overall concept of the play hilarious. I misspelled Godot on purpose because it looks cooler this way.
And here I've been pronouncing it "Ga-duff."

Didn't realise it was quite such a lofty cultural reference. Admittedly, one you found hilarious, but fair play!

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • The Sloth Rules
« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2011, 04:55:33 AM »
Metropolis + Polaris(as in the Megadeth song Rust in Peace.....Polaris) = Metropolaris

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2011, 04:59:16 AM »
My dog's name is Pogo. One of them, anyway.
I can't hear the name "Pogo" without thinking of this song now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7nMYsRMJTM

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2011, 05:03:00 AM »
It's a shortened version of my last name, and was my nickname in elementary school. I have no regret.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2011, 05:04:45 AM »
I hate it.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2011, 05:06:35 AM »
I hate it.

Yeah, you should start going by a slightly lengthened version of your first name instead.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2011, 05:07:43 AM »
Agreed.

Offline SeverusSnape

« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2011, 05:15:40 AM »
mine is either the name of some character in literature or the name of some perverse sex act

i forget which one

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2011, 05:59:52 AM »
Stolen from Alex Lifeson.  It's from his rant in the Power windows tourbook.  I wanted to recieve emails so I tried variations of the spelling of  KING OF SCHMENGLAND till hotmail took the one I have now and I've used it as a moniker in all my forums.

Alex Lifeson
A MESSAGE FROM H.R.H. KING LERXT, KING OF SCHMENGLAND

This was supposed to be my equipment list, but I sold all my gear. I just borrow things I need from friends. Some old stuff. A few wires here, a couple guitars there, some machine guns... Oh yeah, the machine guns. Well, the story goes something like this: During our stay in Montserrat we decided to have a dinner picnic on a beautiful deserted beach. It was a lovely day and a great barbecue. There was much laughter until we heard the machine guns and bombs exploding. The sky was a cross-hatch of jet fighter and missile contrails. I had a hunch that something was up.

We immediately headed back to the studio. It was a blazing inferno with temperatures well above 100 degrees C!! We managed to save all our gear and the blender which we used to make daiquiris with. It was there that we learned from one of the locals that a coup had taken place.

"Yeah mon, dey kill dat monkey ass. Now is da time of da King mon."

After I heard his incredible tale I thought to myself - Kingman? Who is Kingman? The accountant? The calypso group The Kingman Trio, maybe?

And as if this man had read my thoughts, he said, "No man, not Kingman - The KING, Mon!"

Now it was all too clear. I suddenly realized destiny had brought me to this island to do a job. I looked up as the flaming studio sparked a reflection in my eyes and bravely said: "But they have guns! We need something better than guns. We need Gubs!"

We also needed a defence budget so I sold my equipment that same night, met at a dark lagoon with a Cuban gub runner, quelled the rioting and became King Lerxst by 8:30 the next morning. Boy was I bushed.

I enacted two important laws that Monday morning. The first was the "No Work Today" law, and the second was "Big Al Day", which fell on the first Monday of each week, when all the drinks on the island were free.

Sure there were a few unhappy subjects, and I have had my fair share of assassination attempts, but after the third Monday things were pretty well settled down. Yeah that's what the world needs: more "Big Al Days".

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2011, 06:04:39 AM »
:lol
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: March 15, 2011, 06:05:40 AM »
Big Al days rule Zy! :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #46 on: March 15, 2011, 06:20:15 AM »
Yes, we've had these before, but there's enough n00bs here now that we can do a new one.  How did you come up with your username?

I've played guitar for 20 years and it is one of the only things I do very well.  Cozmo comes from this time in my life (on the left):

When in the Kiss tribute band, Cold Gin, I'd colored my hair black to match the wig I wore.  I'd also just started growing it out, so it was rather unruly.  So the bass player (who started the band years earlier), and I had the same name.  Since I was the new guy, it was decided that I had a get a nickname.  With my black, unruly hair, it was suggested they call me Kramer, a la Seinfeld.  What's Kramer's first name?  Cozmo.  Voila.  That was July 4, 1997.  There are people I deal with in real life, in music circles, who have no idea what my actual name is and only know me as Cozmo.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: March 15, 2011, 06:32:20 AM »
Cool shirts, Coz!
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: March 15, 2011, 06:38:11 AM »
Something I thought of back in 3rd grade, I actually have wanted something different for many years but I can't think of anything.

Just reaper + plus my initials

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #49 on: March 15, 2011, 06:43:01 AM »
Cool shirts, Coz!

I still can't believe it, looking at them.  They were so new.  Now (I still have the shirt, almost 14 years later) it is SOOOOOOOO faded.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #50 on: March 15, 2011, 06:57:30 AM »
Surprised that so many people here were on the Megs forums as well. I stopped going there after they killed TA. That place kicked ass. I remember MetalJay, pretty sure we argued a fair bit. Seems like that place got overrun by noobs the same way this place has been getting. I don't have much of a reason to go back there anymore. I'll maybe see one or two familiar faces.

Anyway, I've been using this name for a really long time. I had a bunch of other stupid usernames I'd use on GameFAQs and stuff. Then, when I finally joined my first forum, it was right after I really got into metal, so the UMH was born. Been using it ever since. No regrets, no shame. I absolutely adore my name, and I really like the way UMH sounds when I say it out loud.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #51 on: March 15, 2011, 07:21:39 AM »
It's my indian name

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: March 15, 2011, 07:26:56 AM »

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #53 on: March 15, 2011, 07:43:55 AM »
I couldn't think of a name, and I was listening to The Runaway by Gentle Giant at the time. The line "Lie low, the wanted man!" came up and I just said "meh" and made it that.

Gentle Giant reference!  But your name always shows up as LieLowTheWantedM for me because the left column has a fixed width.  I think we have a Pantagruel here as well somewhere, though I haven't seen him in a while.

I once allowed a telemarketer to talk me into getting three years of Stereo Review magazine for a great low price, except he fucked up and got my name wrong, so I received three years of Stereo Review magazine addressed to Orbert instead of Robert.  I've used it on message boards, MUDs, and pretty much all online activity since then, around 1992.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #54 on: March 15, 2011, 07:52:00 AM »
My friend one time formatted my computer and gave my login to my OS as James the Jamesman. Somehow, it spread like wildfire to my circle of friends and a lot of people IRL know me by that nickname. I also use it to sign off on messages to my friends and such. I don't know, it's just kinda my nickname for real life as well (among the other 10 nicknames I have).

I was "highaerials36" on the 8VM version of DTF. That was my old handle that came from my love for SOAD (Aerials plus they have a song called .36). For some reason I stuck the "high" at the beginning because the lyrics are "Aerials, so up high..." :metal

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #55 on: March 15, 2011, 07:54:04 AM »
My name goes way back to a PCGamer (or Computer Gaming World, don't remember) issue from around '03 or '04, whenever City of Heroes came out.  One of the columnists was describing these three or four heroes he made, one of which was Super Dude, a Shaft lookalike.  As he described it, his superhero was stylized after action heroes from the 70s, when "everything was cooler except there was no internet."  And the way he described his Super Dude, he sounded fuckin' cool.

Not that I'm a CoH fan (I've never played it in my life :laugh:); it was just a cool-sounding name after a cool concept when I'd run out of original usernames for all my different forums. :p
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Kosmo

« Reply #56 on: March 15, 2011, 08:14:17 AM »
Been using this name pretty much everywhere for the last 5 years.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #57 on: March 15, 2011, 08:34:27 AM »
BrotherH

2 + 18 + 15 + 20 + 8 + 5 + 8 = 76

I am American.  So it all ties together.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #58 on: March 15, 2011, 08:38:32 AM »
I'm a sarcastic Spock's Beard fan  :hat

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #59 on: March 15, 2011, 08:50:35 AM »
A friend from high school and I developed several inside jokes related to the play "Waiting for Godot" because we found the overall concept of the play hilarious. I misspelled Godot on purpose because it looks cooler this way.

Oh, wow.  I guess I've been pronouncing it wrong all this time then.  I've pronounced it "Gay-Dough," as in, rhymes with Play-Dough.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member

Offline Plasmastrike

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #61 on: March 15, 2011, 08:57:15 AM »
I'm 22 now, but I made this name when I was 11 whilst playing StarCraft I. I loved the Protoss, more specifically dragoons and photon cannons.

Needless to say, the name stuck.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #62 on: March 15, 2011, 09:05:03 AM »
Cool song by PoS, one of my favourite bands at that time. If I remember correctly Be just came out, so it was all fresh and new.
Now when I see the back of the album, I see my username instead of seeing the songtitle on this forum, haha.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #63 on: March 15, 2011, 09:06:40 AM »
When I see it, I see Frank Zappa.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline jsem

« Reply #64 on: March 15, 2011, 09:18:32 AM »
My initials.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #65 on: March 15, 2011, 09:19:56 AM »
When I see it, I see Frank Zappa.

Fair enough.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline Iarwain

« Reply #66 on: March 15, 2011, 09:54:46 AM »
Big Tolkien fan. Also sort of an inside joke with some friends when I was in highschool.

Offline adameastment

« Reply #67 on: March 15, 2011, 11:43:33 AM »
Well, recently, I've been trying to update all my screenames to my real name, and this is my real name :P

Offline ehra

« Reply #68 on: March 15, 2011, 11:46:43 AM »
Back when a bunch of my friends and I played Diablo 2 together I needed to come up with a name for my wind Druid and, obviously, I need something that sounded a little "airy." I ended up liking the name to I've kept it.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #69 on: March 15, 2011, 12:35:37 PM »
I thought I already posted in this thread, maybe it was another thread.  :-\

At any rate, mine's pretty simple.  I'm a gemini (sign of the twins) born in 66'.  That's it.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White