Author Topic: Day of Rage in Saudi Arabia planned  (Read 1041 times)

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
Day of Rage in Saudi Arabia planned
« on: March 11, 2011, 02:49:15 PM »
https://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/meast/03/11/saudi.arabia.protests/index.html?hpt=Sbin

Defying a government ban on all kinds of public demonstrations, a group is planning a "Day of Rage" protests Friday in Saudi Arabia.

These protests come a day after three people were taken to the hospital after Saudi security forces fired on scores of protesters in the city of Qatif, according to two witnesses and an activist.

On Thursday, more than 100 people gathered in the predominantly Shiite city in eastern Saudi Arabia to urge authorities to release Shiite prisoners.

At some point, the witnesses said Saudi security forces shot to disperse the crowd. It was unknown if the forces fired rubber bullets or live ammunition. Those injured were taken to Qatif Central Hospital for treatment, the activist and witnesses said.

A human rights group in Saudi Arabia condemned the action calling the use of force by police "deplorable."

"(The group) condemns, with the loudest and clearest words, the use of all kinds of force to disperse demonstrators particularly when live ammunition was used last night against the demonstrators in Qatif," the Human Rights First Society said in a statement released Friday.

The protests in Saudi Arabia comes as unrest brews in parts of the Middle East and North Africa and has caused major changes in places like Egypt and Tunisia.

A longtime observer of the kingdom remained skeptical that the protest would make a major impact.

"I don't think any protests that happen (Friday) will be destabilizing to the country," said Christopher Boucek, a Saudi expert with the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace. "I don't think you'll see what happened in Egypt and Bahrain and Yemen and Tunisia."

The protests in the majority Sunni kingdom have followed similar demands across the Arab world for more freedom and democracy.

Last week, about 24 protesters were detained in Qatif as they denounced "the prolonged detention" of nine Shiite prisoners held without trial for more than 14 years, Amnesty International said.

This is really interesting.  If uprisings happen in Saudi Arabia and the government there starts butchering its own people, it will be extremely interesting to see how the USA reacts.  We continue to be friendly with Saudi Arabia while completely ignoring the fact that they deny basic human rights to the female population of their country.  

Where would the US have to stand if the Saudi Gov pulled a Libya on its people?
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Re: Day of Rage in Saudi Arabia planned
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2011, 02:52:08 PM »
As long as they have the oil, we won't do anything too extreme in fear of pissing them off.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2011, 08:44:25 PM »
As long as they have the oil, we won't do anything too extreme in fear of pissing them off.
This.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2011, 02:10:38 AM »
I'm kind of sick of hearing "what is the US reaction" to all kinds of international stuff. Is it the only country that has ties to these other countries?

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2011, 02:28:02 AM »
I think the U.S put itself in this situation, the "school principal" role was a choice.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2011, 09:04:31 AM »
I'm kind of sick of hearing "what is the US reaction" to all kinds of international stuff. Is it the only country that has ties to these other countries?

I mean despite the rather drastic decline in power over the last few years, we still happen to be living in what's considered the American Century.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude: