Author Topic: Advice... what do I do... please help me not ruin a good thing type thread  (Read 3238 times)

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
Ok DTF.... I need some advice... or just some calming words. And yes it is about relationship type shit...

Ok... a little background: I am 20, living with my gf... and her family... been together 4 years... her family is pretty much my family... I ave no family. Well, I also have an anger..err... issue. I dont get violent towards other people (only towards myself... my finger braces arent just for bowling... I punch hard objects...).. I just got pissed off and yell. I have a short fuse. Well I have been told to fix it... or else I am shit out of luck. She will break it off, and the family will move out of state w/out me, and the life i have spent 3 years building will be gone. I have no job (been lookin for a year and a half, no luck...) been living off of an income that is quickly drying up.

Does anyone have any suggestions beside the whole count or breathe things? also any suggestions on how to calm myself down? for the past 6 hours I have been in a slight panic attack... as in if i lose the little bit of control i have I will be hyperventilating. Thats just how I am. I really dont want to lose this. I have nothing else. No one else. idk where I would go or what I would do.

dont wanna sound like I am whining or bitching... I am just... blarghdgkldgj

editz: also I have been calming my nerves with some Captian Morgan... not something I usually do
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline AndyDT

What do you think you should do about it?

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
It's not written anywhere that you should get angry at anything in life. Anger's the big deal. What causes it isn't the big deal. Just convince yourself it's not worth getting flustered over whatever it is you're dealing with.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Why do you get angry?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline zerogravityfat

• DTF.org Alumni
  • There can be only one.
go sign up to a gym and kick the crap out of a sand bag, that's what i do, it makes me very happy.
DTF.  More reliable than the AP since 2009. -millahh

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
Well, there's always the therapy route. That's probably the best way to show your GF that you're really serious about making progress.

I'd second signing up at a gym and working out frequently. Exercise has positive affects of many aspects of life, including mood as well as health.

As far as what to do "in the moment" I can't really help you there. I know you're likely not thinking rationally at that time, so telling you to think about something in particular is likely not going to work.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
Drinking certainly isn't going to help. If this is really important to you, I recommend atleast TRYING therapy. It doesn't work for everyone, but if it works for you than that should take care of a huge chunk of your problem.

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
Drinking certainly isn't going to help. If this is really important to you, I recommend atleast TRYING therapy. It doesn't work for everyone, but if it works for you than that should take care of a huge chunk of your problem.

I cannot strees this enough, you will do irrational things when under the influence of alcohol, it may mask the stress for a bit, but in no way should ever be used as a cure for it. Having no disposable income kinds of negates any therapy/gym memberships . Do you have any hobbies you enjoy? Something that you do that can help when felling stressful, what causes the situations that make you feel stressed/angry? Get away from these situations, take a walk or bike ride in a park or a quiet road
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Therapy all the way.   Bring you girl with you so she can understand what you're going through.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Exercise is certainly good advice, although I don't think I'd want to make beating the shit out of anything an outlet for anger.

Won't be of much help to you right now, but what resolved my (albeit very slight) issue with anger was the simple realization that most of the things that set me off were petty and trivial.  Think back at the last few things that pissed you off.  In retrospect,  were any of them anything at all that should have angered you?  The chances are that when you get angry about something it's a huge overreaction.  When something starts to piss me off, I just try to think rationally for a second, just long enough to determine if I have a reason to be angry, and usually I don't. 

And yeah, given the importance of not fucking up everything you have, therapy seems like a damn fine idea. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
Any physical activity will probably help channel that energy you're using violently. And I agree your girlfriend needs to know what you're going through. It's probably gonna be okay, considering you tell us you guys have been some while together and will probably support each other no matter what happens. Be mature and do what feels (and is) right.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
thanks all. I have been hitting the gym, and I bowl... but sometimes it just doesnt do it. And the drinking thing, I only drink once in a great while while sitting around about to go to bed. I am going to have to work on breathing and what not. I dont know why I was freaking out hard enough last night to spill it all onto you guys. thanks again though.

dammit give me the drummers name and I will have one less thing to think about
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
I used to be a hot head when I was in high school.  First - quit drinking, it will backfire on you in some way shape or form.

In my case, it was just a matter of mind over matter.  I don't want to sound like Charlie Sheen, but I quickly took stock of what I was doing and realized that if I pulled the shit I was doing anywhere else besides around family and in school, I would likely end up in jail.  I don't meditate, take breaths, or any of that other stuff, so if those activities don't work for you, try cold logic.  So, next time you get pissed off, think about going to prison.  I've never been, but I had a friend serve 15 days and he said it was pretty much the worst time in his life.  Being unemployed will also likely get you a longer sentence.  Exercise common sense and don't bottle things up.

Just think - dirty ass men living in close quarters, shitty food, very little to do...or hell, even a hospital bill if you broke a bone in your hand. 

Offline Kura

• (●ゝω・)ノ ♡
>_> What else would you do besides going to a therapist/ psychologist? It's like the simplest and most effective solution because they'll give you the proper resources. I also have no idea why you wanted 'till now to do anything about your problem.

Offline Kura

• (●ゝω・)ノ ♡
Oh and relationship counseling. If you guys are regularly fighting it means you need it.

Offline dethklok09

• Mike
  • Great band
Study up on things whenever you are angry. Just try to use that time to gain knowledge of something.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
As other people have said, therapy should be somewhere in the mix.  In the OP, you stated as to having no family.  No matter what happened there, I would say that that is a source for your anger, and your anger is most of the time directed inward.  Wahtever happened with your real family has left you with a sense of inadequacy or shortcoming that manifest itself in said anger, which therapy would help you isolate and work through.  If I am off target, please don't think I am preaching or anything, I just happen to have a lot of experience with these type of issues.  Whatever the case is, taqke the time to work through it for the sole benfit of yourself, if it is done for anyone else, it won't be a complete thing, and will end up manifesting itself again and again, you must take ownership of it.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
Second the therapy advice.  I knew a dude back in school that had serious anger issues, whenever he'd get angry he'd just explode out in expletives and then try and hide away under desks and stuff.  He went to some anger management courses and now he's one of the coolest, most calm and happy dudes I know.

Offline dongringo

Self control. If you can't exercise it get help like our other friends have said. Acting out in a violent manner is not an option. My best to you.
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline Vivace

Therapy. You sound like you have a rather aggressive neurosis. Drinking isn't going to solve it, nor is exercise or hitting a bag. You have to root out the cause for your anger and I have a feeling it's a deep neurosis you will need a therapist to dig out. It's going to take some time.
"What kind of Jedis are these? Guardians of peace and justice my ass!"

"Ha ha! You fool! My Kung Fu is also big for have been trained in your Jedi arts why not!"

Offline AndyDT

Infact, I've heard that hitting a bag and training in a disciplined regime with can draw out shadows.