Author Topic: Huge Earthquake in Japan.  (Read 16311 times)

Offline ack44

• Banned from P/R
  • Wryyyy
Re: Huge Earthquake in Japan.
« Reply #70 on: March 11, 2011, 04:38:54 PM »

Yea, definitely the biggest I've ever felt.

I would love to be banned.

huh?

wtf is the internet?

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #71 on: March 11, 2011, 04:44:15 PM »

Yea, definitely the biggest I've ever felt.

I would love to be banned.

huh?
You have word censors switched on. He said "that's what ..... she said" (without the dots)

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Arch Benemy

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #72 on: March 11, 2011, 05:08:59 PM »
This is pretty crazy shit. Turned on the radio this morning and heard about the earthquake, my first though was about where it had taken place, because my brother lives in Hong Kong and had the epicentre been on the south west coast of Japan HK could have been in real danger. Now my thoughts are with my friend Nick who lives in Tokyo, luckily the city is well prepared for such phenomenon but I am still worried about him as he spends a lot of time in other parts of the country and I text messaged him over 14 hours ago and have had no response. He probably has bigger fish to fry right now than checking him messages however, but I'm still eagerly awaiting his call.

Edit: Phew, just got a message from him saying he was OK, now here's hoping they can get the country back to normal ASAP.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 05:28:16 PM by Arch Benemy »

Offline juice

• om nom nom
« Reply #73 on: March 11, 2011, 05:52:59 PM »
Nuclear plants messing up now too. Sheesh.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #74 on: March 11, 2011, 06:32:14 PM »
I thought the US exported some coolants to deal with the nuclear plant?
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline Elsydeon

« Reply #75 on: March 11, 2011, 06:42:52 PM »
Been following a bit of the footage today, just horrible. The only small relief is that Tokyo hasn't been too badly affected, because really could have destroyed the country's entire economy. But still, it's completely devastating.
Funny you should mention that, I went into work this morning and a customer was telling me all about it. He told me that Tokyo is completely gone, all the tall buildings fell over and not much is left of it. I came home and called bullshit on him

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #76 on: March 11, 2011, 06:56:34 PM »
Okay, holy crap, Facebook status update of my friend in Japan:

"hey guys, cheers for the messages. im safe n sound. actually atm im in the city closest to sendai, and 30km away from the leaking nuclear reactor, but, im heading home tomorrow to the saftey of my little mountain village."

Offline zepp-head

« Reply #77 on: March 11, 2011, 10:02:46 PM »
I just found out my brother, who teaches English in Japan, is alive in well.   :)

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #78 on: March 12, 2011, 02:33:05 AM »
Oh, shit... It has been dreaded, and now it has happened: Explosion and possible meltdown in the Fukushima nuclear plant

This seriously doesn't look good. :(
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline kala1928

« Reply #79 on: March 12, 2011, 04:06:27 AM »
I thought the US exported some coolants to deal with the nuclear plant?

You expected them to arrive right away?

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #80 on: March 12, 2011, 09:38:22 AM »
Holy shit. They're talking nuclear meltdown as being almost inevitable.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #81 on: March 12, 2011, 09:56:06 AM »
Would a meltdown event reach as far as Kyoto?  I've got friends down there right now.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #82 on: March 12, 2011, 10:01:25 AM »
Supposedly not, no. They're evacuating people in a 20km radius right now, and if stuff escapes, it would be blown eastwards because of the winds, onto the sea.

rumborak

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #83 on: March 12, 2011, 10:06:58 AM »
I really hope the airport out of there doesn't get irradiated... :-\

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #84 on: March 12, 2011, 10:22:01 AM »
Supposedly not, no. They're evacuating people in a 20km radius right now, and if stuff escapes, it would be blown eastwards because of the winds, onto the sea.

rumborak

Have we ever seen radiation effect on the ocean? How far would it spread?

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: March 12, 2011, 10:35:01 AM »
News here is reporting that almost nothing has leaked, despite the explosion and some collapses in the building.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #86 on: March 12, 2011, 10:38:37 AM »
Yeah, but the explosion isn't the issue. It's the potential inability to cool the reactor. They're flooding it with sea water right now to bring down the temperature. If that doesn't succeed you will have a meltdown that will cause another explosion, this time with radioactivity flying everywhere.

Have we ever seen radiation effect on the ocean? How far would it spread?

I think once the cloud is over the water it's essentially considered "safe". There's nothing east of Japan for a loooong time, and the cloud will just get absorbed by the sea.

rumborak

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #87 on: March 12, 2011, 10:47:34 AM »

I think once the cloud is over the water it's essentially considered "safe". There's nothing east of Japan for a loooong time, and the cloud will just get absorbed by the sea.

rumborak

I guess I don't understand how radiation reacts with ocean water? What happens to sea life? Is it no longer radioactive in water? Couldn't the radiation travel in ocean currents to other parts of the world?

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #88 on: March 12, 2011, 10:48:28 AM »
It could, but the sea is so vast that it will just dilute.

rumborak

Offline kala1928

« Reply #89 on: March 12, 2011, 11:10:04 AM »

rumborak

I guess I don't understand how radiation reacts with ocean water? What happens to sea life? Is it no longer radioactive in water? Couldn't the radiation travel in ocean currents to other parts of the world?

Ocean water is already radioactive. So is propably the chair you are sitting in.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #90 on: March 12, 2011, 11:15:04 AM »

rumborak

Ocean water is already radioactive. So is propably the chair you are sitting in.

pssh shows what you know...

I'm on my couch!  ;D

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #91 on: March 12, 2011, 12:16:05 PM »
This stuff is getting crazier by the hour, I wish there was something we can do to help.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #92 on: March 12, 2011, 12:31:11 PM »
I mean there are probably people who will start setting up aid funds, which I'm sure my parents will donate to in due time, and I will too on their go-ahead.

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #93 on: March 13, 2011, 07:32:07 AM »
For those interested in donating, a major fansubbing group called Crunchyroll is going to be matching donations made here:

https://www.crunchyroll.com/deals/japan-earthquake-donation-fund-391

Additionally, here is a list of organizations and individuals known to be taking donations:

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2011-03-11/relief-funds-for-march-11-earthquake/tsunami-in-japan

Lastly, maybe a bit frivolous, but here is a list of some Japanese celebrities who have confirmed their wellbeing since the earthquake:

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2011-03-11/anime/manga/game-industry-members-check-in-after-quake

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #94 on: March 13, 2011, 12:25:15 PM »
Thanks for posting that Genowyn.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #95 on: March 13, 2011, 01:25:54 PM »
I used to cautiously support nuclear energy because it is really the only solution that can maintain the energy levels needed. But damn, if a nation like Japan can't build a reactor safe enough to withstand a well-within-range earthquake, those things are just too damn dangerous.

rumborak

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #96 on: March 13, 2011, 01:38:58 PM »
I used to cautiously support nuclear energy because it is really the only solution that can maintain the energy levels needed. But damn, if a nation like Japan can't build a reactor safe enough to withstand a well-within-range earthquake, those things are just too damn dangerous.

rumborak

Yea, same here. I'm a supporter for nuclear energy but if one of the most technological advanced nations has problems keeping it safe...

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #97 on: March 13, 2011, 01:47:59 PM »
From what I understand, the reactor wasn't the problem, it was the failure of redundant power backups needed to keep it cool.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #98 on: March 13, 2011, 02:38:21 PM »
If anyone wants to fucking rage, it's only one click away:

https://img269.imageshack.us/img269/1214/ohamerica.jpg

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #99 on: March 13, 2011, 02:44:42 PM »
Good God, WTF?

Offline ich bin besser

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #100 on: March 13, 2011, 02:55:56 PM »

Sorry. ;)

Keep prog alive - see it live!

Meine Musikliste

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #101 on: March 13, 2011, 03:03:25 PM »
If anyone wants to fucking rage, it's only one click away:

https://img269.imageshack.us/img269/1214/ohamerica.jpg
Saw that when Ian linked to it on Facebook. Just ridiculous.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #102 on: March 13, 2011, 03:09:35 PM »

rumborak

I'm still all for nuclear energy, even though tons of anti-nuclear people are doing their usual "See what happens!" while not giving any possible alternative that would generate anywhere near the efficiency that nuclear power gives. Without knowing the construction of the plant itself I can't really comment because I'd really like to say that they should've seen it coming since Japan has always been a notorious earthquake zone. Building any type of structure like that is next to impossible with something as big as an 8.9, at least in that kind of environment.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #103 on: March 13, 2011, 03:24:41 PM »
I understand the problem that there isn't really an alternative that can provide the same amount of energy that "cleanly", and that's why I've always been a cautious supporter of nuclear energy. But, as also can be clearly seen, there is a stark difference between what is deemed "safe" by whatever authorities, and how it actually stands up when the shit hits the fan.
I mean, it's the same stuff in Germany. Germany has formalized its exit from nuclear energy about 5 years ago, to be replaced with renewables. But, of course the equation doesn't work. The result: Existing power plants are used beyond their design age. Nobody wants to build a new plant, but the replacement energies are not up to snuff. Bottom line, ancient power plants are running when they shouldn't. I would not be surprised if that's the same in Japan.

rumborak

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #104 on: March 13, 2011, 03:37:15 PM »
My friend and I had a conversation a few nights ago about alternate energies and such. As an architect he's always trying to find ways to build self sustaining houses and while we both agree that that is definitely the way to go at the moment all these alternative forms of energy are kind of a pipe dream considering how inefficient they are. Sure you could have an all solar energy house out in Arizona that is 100% self sufficient but up in the Northeast you'd need to design a house that uses solar, wind and water energy and that's just not feasible at the moment. The nuclear power plant near me provides more than enough energy for a large chunk of lower New York and only releases steam as its byproduct.