18 (31%)
Google
1 (1.7%)
RIM
1 (1.7%)
Other (explain)
2 (3.4%)

Total Members Voted: 58

Author Topic: Most Hated Tech Company  (Read 8092 times)

Offline webpoet73

• DT.net Veteran
  • I am like a ghost...
Re: Most Hated Tech Company
« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2011, 02:36:13 PM »
The only reason people buy it is because it looks pretty

Actually, you just described Apple perfectly.

I am sure that's why I buy Apple... shows the hatred right there.

Offline slycordinator

« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2011, 02:42:23 PM »
And for the life noobs out there:
Lots of operating systems from the late-70s and early-80s used the name of DOS in them because disk drives were a new thing to support. Just because two operating systems both have the name "DOS" doesn't mean they are related in any way, other than the fact that both would have some support for disk drives.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2011, 02:48:36 PM »
Judging by what I've seen on these forums, I'm gonna guess Apple comes out on top.  Even though I love Apple.  Apple is delicious om nom nom

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2011, 02:50:29 PM »
Hatred is a strong word. I dislike apple's design and marketing strategy more than the others though because I feel it promotes a culture of ignorance about the tech you are using.

Actually, you just described Micrsoft perfectly.  After all, Microsoft was founded on an operating system ripped off from Apple called (DOS) and was given a new name called (Windows).  Yes, Windows is a DOS based operating system.  If there's any ignorance about the tech being used, it's Microsoft, not Apple.

I've always hated Microsoft.  They produce nothing but overrated, cheap and unstable junk.  The only reason people buy it is because it looks pretty and like I said, is cheap.
Wow. The irony in this post is of epic proportions.

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2011, 03:28:56 PM »
Hatred is a strong word. I dislike apple's design and marketing strategy more than the others though because I feel it promotes a culture of ignorance about the tech you are using.

Actually, you just described Micrsoft perfectly.  After all, Microsoft was founded on an operating system ripped off from Apple called (DOS) and was given a new name called (Windows).  Yes, Windows is a DOS based operating system.  If there's any ignorance about the tech being used, it's Microsoft, not Apple.

I've always hated Microsoft.  They produce nothing but overrated, cheap and unstable junk.  The only reason people buy it is because it looks pretty and like I said, is cheap.
Hah, wow.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #40 on: March 10, 2011, 03:32:17 PM »
^^bunch of Apple voters around here.  Figures.  Talk about WOW.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2011, 03:35:17 PM »
These threads are pointless.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2011, 03:39:11 PM »
But this isn't the World Of Warcraft thread.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2011, 03:45:34 PM »
MSDOS was a concurrent development along with PCDOS by IBM and based on 86-DOS/QDOS by the seattle computer company, itself an alternative to CP/M and has no connection to apple in its development. Windows was designed as GUI overlay for the MSDOS system, and continued to be so until windows 98. Even XP has a bootstrap MSDOS at its core. You could argue the GUI elements were ripped off from Apple System 1 but most people around that time agreed they were both heavily influenced by the Xerox Star GUI that came out 3 years prior, and was in fact considerably more advanced that the Mac 128k GUI, as it had concepts like Object linking from the start. The fact that ex xerox employees went on to work at both companies indicates they were both taking ideas off xerox.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #44 on: March 10, 2011, 04:03:41 PM »

Yeah I voted for Apple. Someone had to be voted for, right?
Problem?

Offline TL

« Reply #45 on: March 10, 2011, 04:20:49 PM »
I don't hate any of them, really. I never understood the hate for Microsoft. They provide products out of which people get enormous amounts of use, and then when the occasional issue comes up they suddenly say, "Microsoft is horrible. Windows sucks." And most people's issues come out of the fact that they just don't know how to use a computer properly.
Basically, it's because people are spoiled. It takes a remarkably short time for an amazing new piece of technology to go from a luxury people were able to function just fine without, to something they'll bitch about endlessly the second it stops working perfectly.
Honestly, the overwhelming lack of problems with every Windows running machine I've ever owned makes me wonder what the hell some people are doing with theirs.

As comedian Louis CK once said about the modern age, "Everything's amazing and no one is happy".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8r1CZTLk-Gk

MS bought DOS from a computer shop in Seattle.  Apple got the GUI from Xerox.  MS got the GUI from Apple.
For anyone interested, there's actually an enjoyable little film about all of this called Pirates of Silicon Valley. It even has Noah Wyle (from ER) as Steve Jobs and John DiMaggio (Bender from Futurama) as Steve Balmer. It's a film channel original, so don't go in expecting a film of comparable quality to The Social Network, but it's definitely worth a watch.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #46 on: March 10, 2011, 04:51:06 PM »
Anthony Michael Hall(1980's Brat Pack and The Dead Zone) plays Bill Gates in it, too.  It is an enjoyable movie.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #47 on: March 10, 2011, 06:34:06 PM »

Looks pretty? Wut.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #48 on: March 10, 2011, 07:11:44 PM »

Really?  I know more geeks with Apple products and know more about them than say, my mom or my wife knows about their Windows machines...

That's a pretty terrible example against Windows, honestly.

Offline webpoet73

• DT.net Veteran
  • I am like a ghost...
« Reply #49 on: March 10, 2011, 09:13:59 PM »

Really?  I know more geeks with Apple products and know more about them than say, my mom or my wife knows about their Windows machines...

That's a pretty terrible example against Windows, honestly.

So... saying that only people who don't know how to use tech buy Apple is just as wrong.  I know everything about Windows and Mac and I prefer Apple.  Does that mean I buy them because they are "pretty."  No, it doesn't.

Offline slycordinator

« Reply #50 on: March 10, 2011, 10:48:37 PM »
The fact that I didn't vote at all (since I don't hate any of the companies listed) was clearly lost on you.

You posted absolute nonsense and so I called you on it. You can argue that MS stole the look-and-feel of the GUI for windows from apple, but claiming that MS-DOS was stolen from apple is demonstrably untrue (the two bear no resemblance to each other) and further claiming that MS-DOS was renamed windows is similarly shown to be untrue (since DOS and windows coincided together for many many years). You simply had no idea what you were talking about but you spoke anyway. Kudos.

Offline TL

« Reply #51 on: March 10, 2011, 11:12:23 PM »
Completely anecdotal;
I'm in a university film program. A lot of my fellow first year students bought macbooks because they were led to believe by multiple sources that they were the best machines to get for video editing. After a couple of projects, most of them heavily regretted it. Meanwhile, those of us using machines running windows were doing fine.

Go figure, more powerful hardware for less money is a good thing.

To be fair, Macs do come pre-loaded with better video editing software (being better than Windows Movie Maker isn't really an accomplishment). However, with the money you save not buying a Mac, you can easily afford something better than either.

Offline 5

• Serial thread killer
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #52 on: March 10, 2011, 11:14:56 PM »
These threads are pointless.

Agreed. Apple users insult Microsoft users because their OS is "unstable and sucks".
Microsoft users insult Apple users because Macs are "overpriced and their users are idiots."

If MS users like their gear and it works for them then fuck off, it's not your place to argue. Why do you care?
If Apple users want an easy to use computers and have the money to buy it - fuck off, are you jealous because they have the cash? Why do you care?

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #53 on: March 11, 2011, 02:25:18 AM »
The biggest irony of all is that all the DTF Apple using youngsters are going "what the fuck is an OS?  DOS?  GUI?  Xerox?"   :lol
What's a C drive??

Edit: To be fair, I would think that everyone here knows of all the things you mentioned. Hell, I'm only 24, and I'm familiar with all those.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline slycordinator

« Reply #54 on: March 11, 2011, 08:49:40 AM »
Edit: To be fair, I would think that everyone here knows of all the things you mentioned. Hell, I'm only 24, and I'm familiar with all those.
You do realize that he posted that because a certain someone showed that they didn't know these things, right?  ;)

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #55 on: March 11, 2011, 08:50:12 AM »
You know who I really hate? HP.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: March 11, 2011, 08:50:31 AM »
HP are pretty shit.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #57 on: March 11, 2011, 09:32:33 AM »
The biggest irony of all is that all the DTF Apple using youngsters are going "what the fuck is an OS?  DOS?  GUI?  Xerox?"   :lol
What's a C drive??

And I'm 16 and I know those. :P

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #58 on: March 11, 2011, 12:44:01 PM »
Quick funny story. Yesterday I took my first class about programming in C#. The professor says that if we want, we can do our projects in C# and in C++ and it wouldn't matter to him. Guy with a Mac says: "How about Objective-C?", the professor response is: "Objective-C is an aberration!!"
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Vivace

« Reply #59 on: March 12, 2011, 03:39:36 PM »
I don't hate any of them. Whenever I see people say Windows suck it's usually because they don't know how to work a computer. When people say Apple sucks I think they just read Maddox's website about Apple. People who say Google sucks are just MS fanboys. :D
"What kind of Jedis are these? Guardians of peace and justice my ass!"

"Ha ha! You fool! My Kung Fu is also big for have been trained in your Jedi arts why not!"

Offline jeebustrain

• King of Disappointment
  • EZBoard Elder
  • suck it
« Reply #60 on: March 13, 2011, 06:42:22 PM »
where are Oracle and SAP on this list?

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #61 on: March 13, 2011, 08:32:41 PM »
where are Oracle and SAP on this list?
where are Oracle and
Oracle
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-

Offline TL

« Reply #62 on: March 13, 2011, 10:15:16 PM »
People who say Google sucks are just Ask Jeeves fanboys.

Fixed.