Author Topic: Are We Truly In The End Times?  (Read 106331 times)

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
Are We Truly In The End Times?
« on: March 10, 2011, 05:36:10 AM »
We are having one of the most severe winters ever. The last few last have brought us unprecedented catastrophic weather, from tsunamis to earthquakes, to mudslides, etc.
Then you look at whats taking place globally. The revolution in the middle east should give people some pause when thinking about the future. Never seen anything like whats taking place over there these recent times.
Europe is in financial crisis.
You continue to hear talk of a one world currency to put things on a level playing field.
The US is experiencing civil unrest it hasn't seen in years. A country divided in a way I have never experienced in my lifetime.
An economy teetering on collapse. It like when things seem like they may improve we take one step forward two steps back
When Christians speak of the end times, all these things are what they warn of, and I'm sure I'm forgetting stuff.
I'm sure many we reason it all away, but I have never felt such a heavy feeling inside as I do now when I think about the future. I don't feel good about what lies ahead.
Perhaps someone can make me feel better about it all? Perhaps I am over reacting?
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline GuineaPig

Re: Are We Truly In The End Times?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 06:05:54 AM »
No, depends, yes.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 06:06:45 AM »
You continue to hear talk of a one world currency to put things on a level playing field.

Huh?
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 06:23:41 AM »

Huh?
I have heard people on news shows say if we switch to one currency it will balance the global economy better. Its just something I've heard.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 06:26:06 AM »
This thread makes no sense to me.  Everything mentioned in the OP is not unique, or sensationalized (one currency?). 
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2011, 06:32:48 AM »
This thread makes no sense to me.  Everything mentioned in the OP is not unique, or sensationalized (one currency?). 
Then you don't agree. I think we's in trouble.

Offline Philawallafox

• ManChild
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2011, 06:54:42 AM »
Biblically speaking we've been in the end times since Jesus left. So, Yes.

The world's pretty messed up at the moment isn't it? In reference to that I'll point you to Romans 8:22-23

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2011, 06:59:00 AM »
No, I think we're just in yet another troubled time in human history. These seem to come at least once a century, so I know we'll ride through it.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 07:09:06 AM by lordxizor »

Offline j

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2011, 07:03:32 AM »
Yeah it seems like everyone throughout the past 2000 years has thought they were going to live to see the end of days.  My money says humanity as a whole will long outlive all of us, though we may play a part in its eventual demise.

-J

Offline zerogravityfat

• DTF.org Alumni
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2011, 07:04:57 AM »
compared to wwII, this is jackshit, so if it didn't happen then, i doubt you can think it will happen now.
DTF.  More reliable than the AP since 2009. -millahh

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2011, 07:24:38 AM »
" But know this, that in the last days perilous times will come:  For men will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy,  unloving, unforgiving, slanderers, without self-control, brutal, despisers of good,  traitors, headstrong, haughty, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God,  having a form of godliness but denying its power."         2nd Timothy 3:1-5

Sounds pretty familiar if you ask me.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2011, 07:27:09 AM »
" But know this, that in the last days perilous times will come:  For men will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy,  unloving, unforgiving, slanderers, without self-control, brutal, despisers of good,  traitors, headstrong, haughty, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God,  having a form of godliness but denying its power."         2nd Timothy 3:1-5

Powerful stuff.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2011, 08:05:27 AM »
Definitely sounds familiar, but I'd guess if you went back over the last 2000 years, it would sound familiar pretty much all the time.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2011, 08:06:13 AM »
" But know this, that in the last days perilous times will come:  For men will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy,  unloving, unforgiving, slanderers, without self-control, brutal, despisers of good,  traitors, headstrong, haughty, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God,  having a form of godliness but denying its power."         2nd Timothy 3:1-5

I'm sure if you asked many people from every time in the last 2000 years they'd say the same.

EDIT: Ninja'd.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2011, 08:16:13 AM »
If by "We" you mean Americans, then I suspect we probably are.  If you mean humanity, nah, plenty of time left barring something unforeseen and completely unrelated to current events. 

I'd tell you to kick back and enjoy the spectacle,  the George Carlin approach that I rather enjoy, but I know you have a kiddo which makes your take rather different. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2011, 08:17:42 AM »
Definitely sounds familiar, but I'd guess if you went back over the last 2000 years, it would sound familiar pretty much all the time.
I can only look at things through the scope of what I've seen, and things are different now then when I was a kid, and not in a good way. That's just how I see things.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2011, 08:20:49 AM »
I can only look at things through the scope of what I've seen, and things are different now then when I was a kid, and not in a good way. That's just how I see things.

But everyone says that.  It's the effect of nostalgia and selective memory. Most people in the States would tell you that crime has increased since they were a child too, but it would be false.

If you had asked Jesus whether or not the End Times were imminent, he would've said yes.  No one knows the future, people are ignorant of the past, and as a result have a skewed perception of the present. 

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2011, 08:25:16 AM »

But everyone says that.  It's the effect of nostalgia and selective memory. Most people in the States would tell you that crime has increased since they were a child too, but it would be false.

If you had asked Jesus whether or not the End Times were imminent, he would've said yes.  No one knows the future, people are ignorant of the past, and as a result have a skewed perception of the present. 
Maybe your right, but I just don't like the scope of whats happening in every respect these days. I want to feel like the darkness is going to lift. I hope it does soon.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2011, 08:37:02 AM »
Think of it like this; there is probably no better life to live in this region of our galaxy than the life of a person in the early 21st century of the Western world.  You can look at the negatives, but the fact is people live longer, are richer, suffer from less crime and war, are more tolerant and open, etc.  Considering all the darker moments in human history, from our emergence from the great apes, struggling to survive, to the population crunch in the last ice age, to the struggle of life in the earliest civilizations, to the violent and brutal conflicts that marked the history of the Fertile Crescent, to the Mongols, or the famines, or the plagues, or more recently the world wars, our existence here and now is a paradise.  I've had the extreme good fortune to be born into a financially secure family who loved me.  I live in one of the best places in the world, have had the opportunity to pursue higher education, have my health (and security even if I fall ill or hurt myself), and all sorts of opportunities open to me in my future.  I have no cause to bitch.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2011, 08:46:20 AM »
People want to be at the end of times. The OP confirms it again. As zgf pointed out, WWII wasn't it, and the current time are nothing to WWII. Or the Spanish Flu in 1918. Or the plague.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2011, 08:46:29 AM »
I agree that there have been periods of time throughout history where 'the end times' were deemed certain to be upon them. I'm sure if you were Jewish alive during WWII you'd have guaranteed that was the end times. I think you can thumb through the Bible or any other spiritual book and cherry pick scripture to fit 'your' opinion. It is done alot. But for me, when I look at the overall atmosphere of American culture, the happenings in the Middle East, the obivous changes and irritation that our planet is in the midst of at the moment.....I'll just say that I am thankful to be secure in my faith.  

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2011, 08:48:18 AM »
Maybe I'm missing something. The movement in the Middle East are currently all about overthrowing bad regimes. Is that the end of times, that people do the right thing?

Again, the real question is, why do you *want* it to be the end of times?

rumborak

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2011, 08:48:44 AM »
I agree that there have been periods of time throughout history where 'the end times' were deemed certain to be upon them. I'm sure if you were Jewish alive during WWII you'd have guaranteed that was the end times. I think you can thumb through the Bible or any other spiritual book and cherry pick scripture to fit 'your' opinion. It is done alot. But for me, when I look at the overall atmosphere of American culture, the happenings in the Middle East, the obivous changes and irritation that our planet is in the midst of at the moment.....I'll just say that I am thankful to be secure in my faith.  

What is this supposed to mean?

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2011, 09:37:50 AM »
@GuineaPig

I am referring to the apparent increase in earthquakes, landslides, wild fires, flooding....natural disasters in general. I'm still unsure though if there has indeed been an increase in activity of these things or if the 24 hour news cycle has just made it appear to be so. But the timing of either the high reportage or actual increase coupled with all of the civil and cultural unrest and strife that is happening....it is easy to start to connect the dots. Especially if you are looking for it. As rumborak said, there are alot of people out there who 'want' it to be the end times just so they can say I told you so. I don't think those people understand just what that means if it 'truly' is the end times....they make want to take that wish back if they did.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2011, 09:38:53 AM »
We've been living in the end times since we started walking upright.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2011, 09:42:56 AM »

Well, it does help to pick up a book. That's how people learn about things that were before their time.

Especially read up on the bubonic plague.

rumborak

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2011, 09:49:27 AM »
@GuineaPig

I am referring to the apparent increase in earthquakes, landslides, wild fires, flooding....natural disasters in general. I'm still unsure though if there has indeed been an increase in activity of these things or if the 24 hour news cycle has just made it appear to be so. But the timing of either the high reportage or actual increase coupled with all of the civil and cultural unrest and strife that is happening....it is easy to start to connect the dots. Especially if you are looking for it. As rumborak said, there are alot of people out there who 'want' it to be the end times just so they can say I told you so. I don't think those people understand just what that means if it 'truly' is the end times....they make want to take that wish back if they did.

Bingo.  With the exception of earthquakes (which for obvious reasons can't be controlled) all the other examples you cited human beings take direct and typically effective action to reduce their possibility/effect.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2011, 09:51:46 AM »
Maybe I'm missing something. The movement in the Middle East are currently all about overthrowing bad regimes. Is that the end of times, that people do the right thing?

Again, the real question is, why do you *want* it to be the end of times?

rumborak

From primarily being a 'lurker' in the P/R I have gotten the impression that you are not a 'religious' person. I may be wrong..I don't know for sure. Let me clarify that I don't 'want' it to be the end times. I am a man of faith and understand what that would entail and I'd just prefer to avoid that whole scenario.
  But what you and other non-religious pragmatic thinking people see as a revolution overthrowing horrible regimes, which outwardly it indeed is and is a great thing, I view in a different light. I subscribe to a more spiritual outlook when trying to understand what is going on in the world. As I believe in God that also makes it certain that there is a devil, and that devil is at war with mankind. And his battle ground is not in the physical realm but in the spiritual. So when I see things happening like the atmosphere that has developed in the Middle East, I try and understand how the devil is benefiting from it. Is this simple minded? From my ‘lurking’ experience I’d say the majority of the P/R regulars will say certainly. But it is how I tend to view and assess the world.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2011, 09:58:18 AM »
 But what you and other non-religious pragmatic thinking people see as a revolution overthrowing horrible regimes, which outwardly it indeed is and is a great thing, I view in a different light. I subscribe to a more spiritual outlook when trying to understand what is going on in the world. As I believe in God that also makes it certain that there is a devil, and that devil is at war with mankind. And his battle ground is not in the physical realm but in the spiritual. So when I see things happening like the atmosphere that has developed in the Middle East, I try and understand how the devil is benefiting from it. Is this simple minded? From my ‘lurking’ experience I’d say the majority of the P/R regulars will say certainly. But it is how I tend to view and assess the world.

Do you realize that the country you live in yourself has had the exact same violent past? That the general public rose up against their oppressors, the Brits?
How did the devil benefit from the Constitution?

rumborak

Offline yeshaberto

• Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2011, 10:01:25 AM »
according to the NT, the end will come like a thief in the night.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2011, 10:24:21 AM »

Do you realize that the country you live in yourself has had the exact same violent past? That the general public rose up against their oppressors, the Brits?
How did the devil benefit from the Constitution?

rumborak

Really? That’s how America was formed? I had no idea. I can only hope to assume that you habitually post these type of responses to develop a deeper discussion and offer an view perhaps overlooked. Otherwise it often appears that you are very condescending to those who don’t ‘think’ like you. And as you mentioned, America like every other nation or country that has ever has had ever existed, has had a violent past. Maybe the devil got off on the fact he could watch a couple hundred years of brutal slavery take place on a new continent? Maybe he thought it’d be neat to witness an atom bomb be dropped on a few hundred thousand people? 
     There are certainly an assortment of horrid instances in America’s history that the devil would surely have benefitted from. But there are equally a multitude of fantastic things that has come from America becoming a country that typify the qualities of God. You speak of plagues and disease…well America has been and will continue to be on the forefront of developing vaccines and cures for the plagues of the world. America is always first in line to donate money/aide/ and any type of help when a country or nation has faced an epidemic or natural disaster. It would be simple to continue to cite further examples but that is a topic for another thread.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2011, 10:31:43 AM »
I don't mean to be rude, but, Rumby and Miller, it really isn't worth fighting over this.  I mean, one of you believes and the other doesn't.  You both won't be able to make the other see "the light".  I see this a lot in these religious debates. 
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2011, 10:33:23 AM »
As I believe in God that also makes it certain that there is a devil

Why does one necessitate the other?
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2011, 10:42:47 AM »
I don't mean to be rude, but, Rumby and Miller, it really isn't worth fighting over this.  I mean, one of you believes and the other doesn't.  You both won't be able to make the other see "the light".  I see this a lot in these religious debates. 
I agree and certainly am not trying to evangelize or convert rumborak or anyone in P/R. As I stated earlier, I am largely a lurker in P/R because it is apparent to me that my views are definately in the minority on most of the topics. So I suppose when I do post I automatically get a bit defensive because I immediately feel outnumbered. I hate the fact that text doesn't allow for an accurate feel for 'how' people are saying something because I am far from a combative person. I am much more of an actual face to face conversation guy.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2011, 10:47:10 AM »
As I believe in God that also makes it certain that there is a devil

Why does one necessitate the other?
I mean no matter where you look there is always equal balance it seems. I'm no physicist but isn't there a 'for every action there is an equal reaction' theory or something like that? The yen and yang, light and dark. Good and evil....plus if you are a 'believer', it is very clear that after Satan tried to overthrow God and failed..he was cast out of heaven and banished to earth.