Author Topic: The Case for Christ  (Read 5752 times)

Offline kirbywelch92

Re: The Case for Christ
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2011, 09:47:22 PM »
I think religion would be far less controversial if at least some of the awesome stuff we hear about in the Bible happened around our time, not when people thought stars were holes in the firmament spanned in a half-sphere over a flat earth.

FYI, not everybody who ever lived in the world in all of history before 1950 believed the same thing as medieval Europeans.

Please don't tell me you think that the authors of the Bible knew the true composition of the universe, wrote it down cryptically and misleadingly, and then as a society forgot it again, only for the Europeans to come up with the aforementioned notion.

rumborak

No. But that also doesn't mean everybody was ignorant of science until the enlightenment.

I suppose it doesn't mean that, but they pretty much were ignorant. History hadn't even reached the Greeks yet. If there was any critical thought about science, it was either kept quiet or the heretics were killed for even insinuating such a fact.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2011, 09:53:21 PM »
The vast majority of people are still ignorant of science.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2011, 10:00:13 PM »
The Case for Christ was pretty cool, at least to me at the time when I was still trying to learn about these arguments.

However, I love The Case for a Creator. I read it recently. It goes into the science part of it (and even some mathematical arguments) and it was a great read. Don't know if I agree with everything in it, though, and it may be a little dated now.

Offline kirbywelch92

« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2011, 10:04:52 PM »

Of that there is no doubt. But, if you were to take the highest levels of understanding and compare them between then and now, the difference is nothing short of exponential.

Offline ack44

• Banned from P/R
  • Wryyyy
« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2011, 02:42:27 AM »

wtf is the internet?

Offline William Wallace

« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2011, 11:00:58 AM »
No they aren't. In fact, science literacy is increasing.

Quote from: WW
No. But that also doesn't mean everybody was ignorant of science until the enlightenment.
I suppose it doesn't mean that, but they pretty much were ignorant. History hadn't even reached the Greeks yet. If there was any critical thought about science, it was either kept quiet or the heretics were killed for even insinuating such a fact.
Obviously they didn't know as much as we know now. But this line of argument is used to support a  cartoonish narrative about belief: religious people had fairy tales because they couldn't explain lightening. Fortunately, science stepped up and revealed the mysteries of the natural world.  That is not true

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2011, 12:27:15 PM »
Eh. If you look at the OT stories, they reek of natural disasters being wrongly ascribed to deities. In the OT (~500BC), there are

- floods
- famines
- plagues
- earthquakes

Let's compare that to today. Today there are

- floods (Pakistan)
- famines (Africa)
- plagues (Haiti)
- earthquakes (Japan)

What's the difference? None, only that we don't ascribe them wrongly to deities anymore.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."