Author Topic: I think I've figured out the one thing that could make DT 11 a classic.  (Read 8713 times)

Offline Ħ

No more instrumental back-and-forth stuff.  Ever since Six Degrees, and even more so on ToT, we've seen this (except for maybe Octavarium).  Yeah, it was cool on The Glass Prison.  It was cool in Blind Faith.  But it just doesn't work very well past that.  When looking back at IaW to FII (and SFAM to an extent), they did have heavy instrumental stuff, but it was so well-placed and well-written that it worked.  I'm thinking Metropolis, Trial of Tears, The Mirror/Lie, New Millennium, Learning to Live...everything just felt necessary to the songs.  I really hope that DT11 is along those lines.  But I'm not sure who was the influence behind that or how MP's absence will affect it.

Thoughts?
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
The solo tradeoffs have gotten really tired, yeah.

Offline darkshade

yea, and i think JP wants to do away with them, for the most part

Offline Pirate

• Yeah buddy
Isn't this something heavily discussed like a year ago?

Offline Ħ

That's good news.  Do you have proof?
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
I agree with this 1000‰.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
Probably not the one thing, but definitely a deciding factor.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline darkshade

i base what i said off that video of MP and JP discussing how a solo section in BC&SL should go, and JP didnt want to do the trade off's, because it (and i quote)

It wouldn't be the first time we do that

Offline inoku

completely agree with you  :tup

if JP said that. i'm really hoping they will do it.

Offline TheMadgician

I really like some of the trade off solos. But I'll agree they've grown kind of stale. It really stands out in The Glass Prison, along with the call and response vocals.

Hopefully they'll have something new and exciting this album.

Offline dongringo

Re: I think I've figured out the one thing that could make DT 11 a classic.
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2011, 08:28:34 PM »
i agree.
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline ricky

• say what now?
  • aka "the big nasty"
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2011, 08:44:14 PM »
naked chicks on the cover?
There is so little respek left in the world, that if you look it up in the dictionary, you'll find that it has been taken out.

Uncle Ricky wants YOU to show some respek

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2011, 08:44:53 PM »

i base what i said off that video of MP and JP discussing how a solo section in BC&SL should go, and JP didnt want to do the trade off's, because it (and i quote)

It wouldn't be the first time we do that

I remember that exchange.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline ricky

• say what now?
  • aka "the big nasty"
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2011, 08:48:02 PM »
im surprised we haven't heard a, "make it like a song from Images or Scenes" comment yet.

although i haven't read any of the previous posts so maybe there has.,,idk
There is so little respek left in the world, that if you look it up in the dictionary, you'll find that it has been taken out.

Uncle Ricky wants YOU to show some respek

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2011, 09:48:40 PM »
I think BrotherH makes a very astute assessment.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2011, 09:49:20 PM »

We have a winner.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2011, 11:41:49 PM »
Aye.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2011, 03:39:26 AM »
I agree also.  Just lately the instrumentals section seem to divide themselves from the songs, as opposed to enhancing them more like the older days.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2011, 03:47:49 AM »
I'd like to hear less shredding in the songs on the next album. Maybe it's a trademark of DT but we already know they can play fast!

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2011, 06:34:55 AM »
Oh come on people, whether or not they do that kind of instrumental section will hardly make an album classic or not.   Instrumental sections done poorly can detract from a song, sure, but obviously if they're done well it isn't going to wreck a song or downgrade an otherwise great album.  Just because you think they haven't done it well lately doesn't mean they can't do it well on the next album.  One of the main writers from all their previous albums is no longer in the band, who knows what will click for this group on this album.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2011, 06:41:14 AM »
Well yeah, but on the other hand, if you hear the opening track and eleven minutes in there's a trade-off solo, aren't you gonna say, "Oh this again? :\"

I know I will, and I certainly won't be alone from the looks of it.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2011, 08:16:35 AM »
I'd also like them to limit the fast, wanky unison sections.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2011, 10:47:30 AM »
Yeah and that Slayer need to stop doing all that shouting and playing really fast and singing about the Devil and stuff.
And what's with that Clapton guy playing really slowly? A few more unison lines and some sweep arpeggios woould make all the difference on his next album.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2011, 11:33:59 AM »
Meh, there were only 2 of them on BC&SL, I don't consider it to be a problem whatsoever, or a bearing on the quality of the music.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline j

« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2011, 12:33:05 PM »
While in most cases I find DT's "back and forth" soloing duels to be uninteresting, I don't think they're the problem in and of themselves.  It's more a quality of writing issue IMO.  I'm sure trade-off solos can be cool if they're tasteful and well put together.

-J

Offline Ryzee

« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2011, 01:07:38 PM »
Call me kooky call me wacky but I really like the "dueling solos" thing that DT does.  I jam all the time with my Dad who's a keyboard player (super cool, I know!) and we love trading off solos like that.  It's really fun as a player and I always get a sense that John and Jordan are enjoying themselves while doing it (when seeing them live anyway) so I really have no problem with it.  As long as the rhythm and riff they're playing over is cool that is. 

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2011, 02:12:22 PM »
I don't mind it.  If it's good stuff, then fine.  Doesn't need to happen on every song.  Hell, not even every song needs a solo.  I'm sure they'll probably mix it up.  DT is good at that.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline toro

• wazzup
  • Metal, Drums and beers they finally got it right
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2011, 02:14:06 PM »
Isn't this something heavily discussed since SC?
Fix'd
I imagined the story to go more like this.

I was sitting a traffic light blaring Space Dye Vest and next to me in another car was Kevin Moore. And I'll never be open again.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2011, 03:02:00 PM »
While in most cases I find DT's "back and forth" soloing duels to be uninteresting, I don't think they're the problem in and of themselves.  It's more a quality of writing issue IMO.  I'm sure trade-off solos can be cool if they're tasteful and well put together.

-J

This is a huge part of it as well. The tradeoffs and unisons in a song like, say, Metropolis work because they're really memorable melodically.
Call me kooky call me wacky but I really like the "dueling solos" thing that DT does.  I jam all the time with my Dad who's a keyboard player (super cool, I know!) and we love trading off solos like that.  It's really fun as a player and I always get a sense that John and Jordan are enjoying themselves while doing it (when seeing them live anyway) so I really have no problem with it.  As long as the rhythm and riff they're playing over is cool that is. 
Just because something is fun to play doesn't mean it should be in a song.

Offline jcmistat

« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2011, 03:09:19 PM »
ANTR and RoP would be a lot better without the extra soloing. It doesn't bother me any album other than BC&SL. I think we'll get a bunch of new stuff without MP. Can't wait. DT and SX releasing albums the same year? FUCK YEAH!

Offline Ryzee

« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2011, 03:27:10 PM »

-J

This is a huge part of it as well. The tradeoffs and unisons in a song like, say, Metropolis work because they're really memorable melodically.

Well, that depends on your point of view.  From the musician's perspective, if you are writing a song that you are going to end up performing numerous times you'd probably want to include bits that would be enjoyable for you to play.  I totally understand though that what might be enjoyable for the player might not be so for the listener. 

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2011, 05:09:22 PM »

-J

Equally it doesn't mean it shouldn't be in a song.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Aramatheis

• The lighter's dead
  • DTF.org Member
  • and the gas has been cut off
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2011, 05:28:14 PM »

I agree that the back and forth solos should be toned down a little, but I also think they're an integral part of any Dream Theater epic.
Dream Theater wouldn't be the band we all know and love if there wasn't at least 2 minutes of musical wankery in each song!

But I do wish that their musical style would revert back to the darker, "Awake" era style, you know? Every song on that album evoked some type of emotion in you as you listened.. it was all very poignant.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2011, 10:41:31 PM »

-J

Equally it doesn't mean it shouldn't be in a song.
agreed.

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2011, 06:43:37 AM »

I'm in.
A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...