Author Topic: Scorpions: my new guilty pleasure  (Read 26079 times)

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
Scorpions: my new guilty pleasure
« on: March 02, 2011, 10:50:29 AM »
I just felt like making a thread about this band.  Frankly I'm a bit shocked that a self-avowed Prog snob (myself) has taken a liking to the Scorpions, as they seem to represent everything that would turn me off from a band.

At first glance, I was repulsed by the Euro-trashy album covers replete with hot women in compromising positions, not to mention the ESL-style of lyric writing.  The songs are chockful of juvenile sexual innuendo and cornball rocknroll cliches, as borne out by titles such as Bad Boys Running Wild, Big City Nights, Hold Me Tight, etc ad nauseum.  And the Scorps are one of the masters of the syrupy power ballad, something that I normally cringe at. 

By all measures, this band should be "unlistenable" in my book, but there's something in the execution of the music that's totally drawn me in.  I love Klaus Meine's vocals and that twin-guitar attack is absolutely killer... one of the best.  The music really is very 'scorpion-like' in its attack and vigor. 

I just listened to Tokyo Tapes for the 1st time ever and it is a stunning live album.  The Scorpions epitomize low-brow hard rock, yet somehow they ROCK ME LIKE A HURRICANE.   
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
Re: Scorpions: my new guilty pleasure
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 10:54:42 AM »
Tokyo Tapes is a monumental live album.

enjoy.
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 11:00:15 AM »
Lovely band. Blackout and Lovedrive are my two favourites.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 11:15:12 AM »
I still remember my parents complaining I was seeing the Scorps(w/Bon Jovi opening) 2 days before my sophomore finals.  Yet, they let me go!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 11:20:57 AM »
LV, I told you so!
Tokyo Tapes is awesome. Been listening to that since high school. The live version of We'll Burn The Sky gives me chills. I still love Lovedrive through Love At First Sting, that era, but the Roth albums are chocked full of goodness.
Sails Of Charon has the most addicting riff..easily as addicting as Megadeth's Black Curtains.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Dream Team

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2011, 12:03:48 PM »
There is nothing AT ALL guilty about liking the Scorpions. To me it would make much more sense for someone to say that Opeth was a guilty pleasure.

Anyway, their 70s stuff is far and away the best, in addition to Blackout and Love at First Sting. And they probably have the distinction of having the greatest collection of lead guitar talent over the years (Roth, Schenker, Schenker, Jabs).

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2011, 12:07:00 PM »
There is nothing AT ALL guilty about liking the Scorpions.
Believe me, for LudwigVan, this IS a guilty pleasure! :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2011, 12:10:49 PM »
LV, I told you so!
Tokyo Tapes is awesome. .

Yes...  yes you did... for the umpteenth time!   :biggrin:   

Seriously though, I owe you a cold frosty one (or two) 

--Camille Saint-Saëns

--Frank Zappa

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
  • Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2011, 12:12:25 PM »
their latest is actually my favorite...I have not heard tokyo tapes (that I remember  :biggrin:).  I will have to check it out

edit:  did not realize they had a release in 2010.  my favorite is humanity

Offline ShadowWalker

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2011, 12:16:34 PM »
I never understand why people feel the need to qualify liking something by calling it a guilty pleasure. I have no guilty pleasures. If I like something, I make no apologies or excuses for it. I just enjoy it.

their latest is actually my favorite...I have not heard tokyo tapes (that I remember  :biggrin:).  I will have to check it out

Definitely check it out. Quality live recording. I didn't think the new one was anything special, especially after the strong showing on Humanity Hour 1. Sting of the Tail felt too much like a rehash of old musical themes from throughout their career, kind of like a summary paragraph of a report, to remind the listener of past glory as they prepare to ride off into the sunset (until the cliche reunion tour)...

EDIT - Ignore comments about SotT and just leave it as I agree with you on Humanity Hour 1...

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2011, 12:21:45 PM »
Sting In The Tail absolutely blows. Humanity is very good, and probably their best album in the last 20 years.

Offline Dream_Theater01

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2011, 12:25:28 PM »
"Still Loving You" is an amazing ballad!

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2011, 12:26:50 PM »
I was just being a bit facetious in calling them a guilty pleasure.  

It was more a way of drawing attention to the fact that the Scorpions fall outside my normal listening habits, especially for someone of my eminently high pretensions.   ;D
--Camille Saint-Saëns

--Frank Zappa

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2011, 12:42:37 PM »
"Still Loving You" is an amazing ballad!

It still gives me chills!

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2011, 12:50:24 PM »
How is the other live album... World Wide Live?
--Camille Saint-Saëns

--Frank Zappa

Offline Mechanix1911

« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2011, 01:25:46 PM »
Anybody heard Yellow Raven here? It's my favorite from what I've heard.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2011, 01:33:33 PM »
Yup, those early albums are quite unique.

Well the biggest complaint is that there's no Roth era songs on it. It's recorded in different cities but it maintains the setlist order throughout. This was my 4th concert and one of the coolest things is how they went from Holiday into Still Loving You. WWL does a good job in capturing that moment.  I really like it, but the songs do remain pretty faithful to their studio conterparts. One song that is vastly imporoved, howver, from the live treatment is Loving You Sunday Morning, which has a lot more life in it.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2011, 01:44:54 PM »
Yup, those early albums are quite unique.

Well the biggest complaint is that there's no Roth era songs on it. It's recorded in different cities but it maintains the setlist order throughout. This was my 4th concert and one of the coolest things is how they went from Holiday into Still Loving You. WWL does a good job in capturing that moment.  I really like it, but the songs do remain pretty faithful to their studio conterparts. One song that is vastly imporoved, howver, from the live treatment is Loving You Sunday Morning, which has a lot more life in it.

Thanks for pointing that out (you know me too well).  I love the fact that they do quite a bit of extra jamming on Tokyo Tapes. 
--Camille Saint-Saëns

--Frank Zappa

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2011, 02:08:57 PM »
Humanity: Hour 1 is an amazing album.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline ShadowWalker

« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2011, 02:13:17 PM »

I agree with what was said about WWL in a previous comment. It basically is a live GH disc of that era of the band. I believe I have an extra version lying around the house (original CD without the bonus tracks that that were thrown in for the remaster) and if it still is in my sell stack, I could send it your way if you want it for however much you think it is worth to you.

There are at least three other live CDs - Live Bites (never heard it), Moments of Glory (also never heard, features orchestra I think) and Acoustica (unplugged and a very strong unplugged album, an interesting mix of standards and some unusual covers a good listen if you happen to stumble across it).

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2011, 02:18:02 PM »
I actually like Live Bites mostly because In Trance and When The Smoke Is Going Down.

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2011, 06:09:54 AM »
I still remember my parents complaining I was seeing the Scorps(w/Bon Jovi opening) 2 days before my sophomore finals.  Yet, they let me go!

1984?? or maybe 1982?? I dont remember what year but I do remember the MSG show fell on my Birthday and my brother took me as a gift...
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2011, 08:04:50 AM »

1984?? or maybe 1982?? I dont remember what year but I do remember the MSG show fell on my Birthday and my brother took me as a gift...

84. Love at First Sting Tour. Best part of the show was(Besides the music) was a hot girl going up the stairs in High heels and the shortest leopard skin skirt I have ever seen.  She had no underware on. 16 years old and rockin' with a bonner. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • ţađ besta sem guđ hefur skapađ er nýr dagur
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2011, 08:27:43 AM »
Wind of Change was the song my parents got married to.

You and me go parallel, together and apart

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2011, 08:29:30 AM »

84. Love at First Sting Tour. Best part of the show was(Besides the music) was a hot girl going up the stairs in High heels and the shortest leopard skin skirt I have ever seen.  She had no underware on. 16 years old and rockin' with a bonner. 

I thought it was 1984 which would have been my 20th birthday. I remember the show very well, msg was about 1/3 full while Bon Jovi was on...he finished his set and the place was still only about 1/2 full...Lights went down just before the Scorpions hit the stage and when they came back on (Opened with Coming Home) the place was packed not an empty seat..I remember the shirt they had for the MSG show as well the Statue of Liberty with a scorp tail coming out from under her gown

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2011, 08:30:23 AM »

Jeez now I really feel like an old fogey

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • ţađ besta sem guđ hefur skapađ er nýr dagur
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2011, 08:32:11 AM »

How come? They got married in 1992, also the year I was born. Which makes me older than quite a few people here... :)

You and me go parallel, together and apart

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2011, 08:40:50 AM »

How come? They got married in 1992, also the year I was born. Which makes me older than quite a few people here... :)
I was married in 94 so that's why I feel old. :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2011, 09:37:22 AM »
They played in Providence on June 7th, '84. Bon Jovi was awesome too. I bought their album the next day. Scorps was a Saturday night, and we went to see This Is Spinal Tap at the movies the night before. That's about as good a weekend can get for a 10th grader!

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2011, 11:13:12 AM »
I had ‘Best of Rockers and Ballads’ but most have sold/traded it. I do still love ‘Still Loving You’ and their version of ‘I Can’t Explain.’ I liked their more popular songs, but obviously not enough to hold on to the one CD I had of theirs. I don’t think I ever knew they went back so many years before making it big. I’ll have to check out the older material.

Just checked the wiki… says they formed in 1965 and their first album release was 1972. Ouch.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2011, 11:46:14 AM »
Humanity: Hour 1 is an amazing album.

Indeed.  I didn't know whether or not the Scorpions still had it, but it seems they do.  The drums and guitars sound very powerful, though the lead vocals are just a tiny bit weaker compared to older material.  They're still plenty good, though, and the production is awesome.  I like the sound of it.

I'm pretty much a prog snob myself, but Scorpions are one of those bands I'll crank up once in a while when it's time to just rock out.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2011, 11:52:05 AM »
I actually like Live Bites mostly because In Trance and When The Smoke Is Going Down.

I love it.  And, yes, two of the biggest highlights are those two songs.  Great live album.

???  Why?  That's not even remotely a love song.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2011, 12:17:33 PM »
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2011, 01:48:14 PM »

Well, Bosk, it's more romantic than when you got married and asked your wife out fot a first dance when the band busted out Mean Streak!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2011, 01:50:31 PM »

Maybe the ceremony was held where the Berlin Wall use to be.

jk.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.