Author Topic: Scorpions: my new guilty pleasure  (Read 26075 times)

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Scorpions: my new guilty pleasure
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2011, 01:53:29 PM »
Wind of Change was the song my parents got married to.

???  Why?  That's not even remotely a love song.
Well, Bosk, it's more romantic than when you got married and asked your wife out fot a first dance when the band busted out Mean Streak!

That would have been a kick ass wedding!
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2011, 01:57:46 PM »

Well, Bosk, it's more romantic than when you got married and asked your wife out fot a first dance when the band busted out Mean Streak!

>:(  Lies!

Everybody there will tell you it was Barroom Boogie.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2011, 02:05:15 PM »
I reckon I'd go with Open Fire or Hurricane myself, imagine the dancefloor!  Definitely wouldn't go with Dirty Girl!
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2011, 02:45:14 PM »

Thanks for reminding me just how old I am!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2011, 02:59:12 PM »
I reckon I'd go with Open Fire or Hurricane myself, imagine the dancefloor!  Definitely wouldn't go with Dirty Girl!

I hear you.  Besides, that's mine and TAC's "special song."  I keep a one track mind!  When I see Tim from behind!  :lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #40 on: March 03, 2011, 05:31:38 PM »
 :facepalm:
Somebody Rescue Me!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #41 on: March 03, 2011, 05:34:04 PM »
Anyway, the other song that is really improved on Worldwide Live is Make It Real. The guitar solo could've been lifted from UFO's Strangers In The Night.
In fact Matthias Jabs really shines on this album.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #42 on: March 03, 2011, 06:31:40 PM »
I love Scorpions. Send me an Angel has been one of those songs which are always there for me when I need 'em.  :D
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • það besta sem guð hefur skapað er nýr dagur
« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2011, 02:35:07 PM »

It probably had something to do with it being a popular song around that time and that it was the second time my father got married...

You and me go parallel, together and apart

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #44 on: March 08, 2011, 03:18:48 PM »
Just started listening to the pre- LAFS stuff and I like it more than I expected. Uli Roth was pretty special. Live In Tokyo I really like.

Offline FutileShadow

« Reply #45 on: March 08, 2011, 04:36:11 PM »
You have not heard the Scorpions until you have heard this song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jCd9vg3BDw

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #46 on: March 08, 2011, 05:07:48 PM »

Oh absolutely. I believe Testament covered that song, too.

@ LudwigVan...I can't believe you don't like China White. It's the one Jabs era track that could've been lifted from the Roth era. Picture it being played in the middle of Tokyo Tapes. Seriously, it's so unique, and that riff is as addicting as the one in the Sails Of Charon.

Offline dongringo

« Reply #47 on: March 08, 2011, 11:04:51 PM »
A few months ago I caught them in Mexico City on their farewell tour. I thought they were better now than the last time I saw them in 1993...one of the best pure metal shows I've ever seen. They were totally into it and are truly going out on a high note. And their latest and last album Sting In the Tail is their best since Blackout imo.
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #48 on: March 09, 2011, 09:39:19 AM »

Oh absolutely. I believe Testament covered that song, too.

@ LudwigVan...I can't believe you don't like China White. It's the one Jabs era track that could've been lifted from the Roth era. Picture it being played in the middle of Tokyo Tapes. Seriously, it's so unique, and that riff is as addicting as the one in the Sails Of Charon.

Yngwie covered Sails too.   I'll listen to China White again.  For some reason, I find it drags on a bit.  Is it on Live Bites or World Wide Live?

As much as the Scorpions are well-acknowledged as a heavy metal band, I'm finding that they're very much steeped in old-time rock n' roll, as evidenced by their covers of Long Tall Sally and Hound Dog on Tokyo Tapes.  Their songs just have this kind of 'swing' to them that harkens back to rockabilly days.  Very cool.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #49 on: March 09, 2011, 09:54:36 AM »
LV, I think that China White can get draggy, but I was listening to it last night thinking of you. I found that it had kind of a Uli vibe to it. Even the backing vocals are right in his range. I find it to be as close to an old school Scorps track than anything other post Roth. It's not on any of the official live albums. I had actually planned on trying to find a live version of it today. And THAT RIFF! It's menacing.

. And their latest and last album Sting In the Tail is their best since Blackout imo.
Really? I think they took every single Scorps cliche and jam it into one last album.
Since Blackout?.. I'm taking Love At First Sting, Humanity, Crazy World, and heck, even Savage Amusement over it.

Offline ShadowWalker

« Reply #50 on: March 09, 2011, 10:42:48 AM »
. And their latest and last album Sting In the Tail is their best since Blackout imo.
Really? I think they took every single Scorps cliche and jam it into one last album.
Since Blackout?.. I'm taking Love At First Sting, Humanity, Crazy World, and heck, even Savage Amusement over it.

Agree with your critique of SotT. And I also agree about Savage Amusement. I am probably in a very small minority that has SA #2 on my favorite Scorpions CDs behind Humanity Hour 1.

Offline CrimsonE

« Reply #51 on: March 09, 2011, 11:31:52 AM »
While I won't put them at the top of my list, the Scorpions are an excellent band that does what they do very well.  You're not going to find too many surprises from them, but you'll usually find good old fashioned hard rock.  I'd say if you really want a treat, check out their mid 94 album Face the Heat, which has some truly awesome songs such as Woman, Alien Nation, and No Pain No Gain. 
In the heart of your most solemn barren night
When your souls turn inside out
Have you questioned all the madness you invite?
What your life is all about

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #52 on: March 09, 2011, 01:23:16 PM »
While waiting for my kids, I just spun Crazy World. A very underrated album. Musically it really rocks, but lyrically it's downright cringeworthy.

Here's a great song whose lyrics don't seem like they're written by a 13 year old!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIijs7oeeMY

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #53 on: March 09, 2011, 01:48:04 PM »
More cringeworthy than usual?  Yikes... I couldn't imagine.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #54 on: March 09, 2011, 02:03:09 PM »
More cringeworthy than usual?  Yikes... I couldn't imagine.
Yeah, but if you can get past it, and it IS challenging, this album kicks complete ass!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #55 on: March 09, 2011, 02:34:29 PM »
To me, that's their least memorable album from their '80s - mid-'90s output.  It's like they said, "let's take our most commercial-sounding output from this time period, use those songs as an exact blueprint, and pay even less attention than usual to the lyrics, and we'll call that an album."  I like CrimsonE's comment that they are a band that you shouldn't really expect any surprises from.  And that's fine.  They have for the most part stuck to a very standard formula that has worked brilliantly throughout the years.  But, to me, Crazy World was so formulaic and felt so "by-the-numbers" that it ended up feeling rather pointless to me as an album.  Definitely my least favorite work from them during the 1980-1995 period.

Offline dongringo

« Reply #56 on: March 09, 2011, 06:10:38 PM »
I'd have to agree with bosk1 on Crazy World. I really can't even listen to it anymore.

What do you all think about Sting In the Tail? I really dig this album. There's a couple songs that have the usual cringe worthy lyrics, but this album rocks and has some of their best power ballads to date. At the Mexico City show they played Sting In the Tail and The Best Is Yet To Come. Both went over really well live showing they still got it.
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #57 on: March 09, 2011, 07:04:14 PM »
Nah, that's cool. I'm certainly not saying Crazy World breaks any new ground, I just think musically, it's pretty heavy, and I like that. Matthias Jabs is great on it. He is very underrated.

Offline dongringo

« Reply #58 on: March 09, 2011, 09:14:10 PM »
Mathias Jabs is very underrated indeed.
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: March 09, 2011, 10:35:29 PM »
There is nothing AT ALL guilty about liking the Scorpions.

I don't listen to much glam rock, but I've always had a thing for the Scorpions.
Quote from: Jamesman42
Global Laziness: Speaks for Canada
Quote from: black_floyd
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #60 on: March 20, 2011, 06:26:21 PM »
Is it me or does the beginning riff to Sails Of Charon sound remarkably similar to Black Sabbath's Supernaut?

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: March 21, 2011, 07:56:56 AM »
Is it me or does the beginning riff to Sails Of Charon sound remarkably similar to Black Sabbath's Supernaut?

Its just you   :P
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #62 on: March 21, 2011, 09:09:31 AM »
Similar riffs styles.  Yes.  I haven't listened to that Scorps song in ten years.  I never got the CD and I don't have a record player anymore.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #63 on: March 21, 2011, 09:25:33 AM »
Go to your closest Walmart, Target, or Best Buy and you can get a record player with a USB port that will plug right into your computer.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #64 on: March 21, 2011, 09:29:44 AM »
Go to your closest Walmart, Target, or Best Buy and you can get a record player with a USB port that will plug right into your computer.

That'sa great Idea bosk.  Then I can transfer some great albums that are long lost music.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #65 on: March 21, 2011, 09:50:26 AM »
Bullet for my Valentine are my new guilty pleasure.

Scorpions for me were a one-n-done through there catalogue.
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #66 on: December 11, 2012, 01:40:44 PM »
Ok so i'm in a Scorpions mood at the moment and started listen to Lonesome Crow for the first time, as i'm a noob when it comes to early Scorpions material that album is so awesomely diffrent from the 80s and 90s Scorpions that i'm used to. Man the early 70s Scorpions are proggy lol but i love it, i almost get some Gentle Giant vibes!  :metal

Btw major bump!  :)

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline jammindude

« Reply #67 on: December 11, 2012, 02:01:36 PM »
Ok so i'm in a Scorpions mood at the moment and started listen to Lonesome Crow for the first time, as i'm a noob when it comes to early Scorpions material that album is so awesomely diffrent from the 80s and 90s Scorpions that i'm used to. Man the early 70s Scorpions are proggy lol but i love it, i almost get some Gentle Giant vibes!  :metal

Btw major bump!  :)

The title track is AMAZING.   The rest of it is hit and miss.   I really like Inheritance and In Search of the Piece of Mind. 

The first time I heard I'm Going Mad, I was 14 yrs old, and I laughed my ass off.   In my old age, I've come to appreciate it more.  It's just weird.  I mean, who writes a song about wandering in the desert being driven crazy by thirst?   

EDIT: 

SUN IS DLYING OUT MY BRAIIIIINNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That line still cracks me up.

:rollin
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #68 on: December 11, 2012, 02:05:00 PM »
The Scorps definitely don't deserve to be called a "guilty pleasure" band.

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #69 on: December 11, 2012, 02:08:52 PM »
Send me an angel, time for listening. It's been a while.

I've seen them twice at Turkey, pretty amazing live band.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.