Author Topic: [Music] Long Distance Calling - Long Distance Calling  (Read 3156 times)

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
[Music] Long Distance Calling - Long Distance Calling
« on: March 05, 2011, 01:50:14 PM »
Band: Long Distance Calling
Album: Long Distance Calling
Year: 2011
Genre: Instrumental Prog
Amazon:  https://www.amazon.com/Long-Distance-Calling/dp/B004KQK8CU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1299122543&sr=8-2

An often criticized point of much prog music is that there is too much wankery, or perhaps too much wondering, that often times the song itself is lost. However this is hardly a complaint when it comes to instrumental music, where pushing the limits of your capabilities is almost a requirement to be taken seriously. What Long Distance Calling has done is break that mold, and even within instrumental music they have managed to return the focus on the song.

While contemporaries Scale the Summit managed to effectively achieve similar ends with short concise songs, Long Distance Calling have done it with pure simplicity. I’m not saying the guys in the band are sub-par musicians, far from it, but even with many songs clocking in at over seven minutes, all the songs seem to flow wonderfully. The songwriting is so focused, one wishes the band would take advantage of the situation and add a vocalist, and that wish is granted, for one track at least. The eight and a half minute “Middleville” features the guest talents of Armored Saint and ex-Anthrax vocalist John Bush, who helps demonstrate the potential the band has if they ever decide to add a vocalist in the future.

Of course the six other tracks on the album feature only the instruments the German based quintet bring to the table, and top to bottom those tracks deliver. I think it’s a true credit to the band that they manage to be highly compelling with very little flash, a trait perhaps best displayed on the album’s final and longest track, “Beyond the Void”. The track takes more than three minutes to really get started and yet I wouldn’t cut a single second.

If I had to lodge one complaint, it would be that while the focus on song-writing is refreshing, and very well executed, a little pizzazz wouldn’t hurt now and again. One might listen to the album several times and not remember one track from another despite all the tracks being great, simply because not enough sticks out to make each track memorable. This is a minor complaint though, and now that I’ve been exposed to this band I look forward to their future output knowing it will, as a whole most likely stand out against the other bands and artists of the genre.

Nick's Rating: 9/10
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: [Music] Long Distance Calling - Long Distance Calling
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 04:19:21 PM »
Saw them live (as opener) and thought it was pretty cool back then. Haven't gotten anything by them yet though, so this seems a good place to start.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 06:50:16 PM »
Cool, who'd they open for?
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 07:04:24 PM »
Anathema.

The stuff they played from their new album (which was then 'coming out soon') sounded pretty good.

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 06:58:06 AM »
I have Avoid the Light and my god that was a great album.  Looking forward to getting this one, great review.  :)

Offline bodiesinflight

• I prefer drone
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 03:28:12 PM »
I can't pretend I think this is anywhere near as good as you make out.

It's cluttered, in need of some editing and lacking inspiration (and perhaps more importantly, hooks!) compared to their first two records. The track with John Bush is also pretty horrible tbh, nothing on their previous guest vocalist tracks with Dolving and Renkse.

I think they're a really good band but this is just enjoyable as a record, it's nothing special at all.
Drowned in Sound
Echoes & Dust
Stereoboard

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2011, 03:58:08 PM »

It's cluttered, in need of some editing and lacking inspiration (and perhaps more importantly, hooks!) compared to their first two records. The track with John Bush is also pretty horrible tbh, nothing on their previous guest vocalist tracks with Dolving and Renkse.

I think they're a really good band but this is just enjoyable as a record, it's nothing special at all.

Ouch!

It's nice to hear other's opinions though, as I'm completely new to the band.

Offline bodiesinflight

• I prefer drone
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2011, 10:47:53 AM »

Ouch!

It's nice to hear other's opinions though, as I'm completely new to the band.

sorry, I write quite a few reviews for sites  nowadays so guess have become quite cynical and damning at times!
Drowned in Sound
Echoes & Dust
Stereoboard

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2011, 08:47:25 AM »
Love this album. Glad you like it too, Nick.