Author Topic: The Frost* thread  (Read 75261 times)

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
Re: Frost* news
« Reply #315 on: September 19, 2016, 01:49:30 PM »
Just a heads-up for those who don't frequent the Polls & Survivors board often that a Frost* Survivor will be starting later this week, with the Milliontown survivor. Hope to see you there!
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 12:42:19 PM by RoeDent »

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #316 on: September 19, 2016, 07:38:47 PM »
score!  count me in!

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #317 on: September 19, 2016, 07:43:03 PM »
Woot woot
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #318 on: September 20, 2016, 06:38:22 AM »
I'm in!

Offline thunderdog10

« Reply #319 on: September 21, 2016, 04:30:49 PM »

I'd be game for it, but I'll need to spin their 3 albums a lot in the run up to it. Would you also be including their non-album tracks, like "The Dividing Line", "The Forget You Song", "Raining In My Heart", "Here Is The News", and "Wedding Day"? I'm sure not every casual Frost* fan has even heard any of these, mostly because they weren't available on the studio albums, but the die-hards that seek them out have them in their libraries and definitely do listen to them. (And of course, there's also that cover of ELP's "Fanfare For The Common Man"...)

As for the format, I've never been too keen on the "vote for your favorites" elimination process, if only because the last couple rounds become less interesting because you're trying to pick songs that aren't as well-liked by the general audience, since the liked ones are already ranked. In the traditional survivor set-up, there's a lot of excitement and tension built up as the last couple of songs, and arguably the more popular ones, battle it out for the top spots. So in short, I'd only be interested in a traditional survivor for Frost*.

-Marc.
[/quote]

do you know where we can find these songs  ;D

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #320 on: September 22, 2016, 01:49:44 AM »
The first round of the Frost* Survivor is underway! This round is running for 48 hours to give people a chance to see it and vote. Enjoy!

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #321 on: September 28, 2016, 06:38:34 AM »
The first round of Experiments in Mass Appeal is underway. Link is in my signature below.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #322 on: March 16, 2017, 01:49:33 PM »
Black Light Machine just came on in my playlist.

Face. Melt.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #323 on: March 16, 2017, 01:50:22 PM »
You know, it took quite a while, but Falling Satellites has finally grown on me. It's really a great album, or at the very least, better than I thought it was upon first listening to it.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #324 on: March 16, 2017, 01:51:48 PM »

Face. Melt.
Still their best song. It's incredibly indulgent but JUST. SO. DAMN. GOOD.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #325 on: March 16, 2017, 02:00:41 PM »
The solo gives me goosebumps all the time.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #326 on: March 16, 2017, 02:04:14 PM »
I think what makes the song so great is that you're halfway through and think "wow, cool song. Nice climax and everything". And then BAM!, it goes into a tantric orgasm.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #327 on: March 16, 2017, 02:08:27 PM »
I'm air guitar soloing that song in the car on my steering wheel and I don't care who sees me.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #328 on: March 16, 2017, 02:15:17 PM »
I think what makes the song so great is that you're halfway through and think "wow, cool song. Nice climax and everything". And then BAM!, it goes into a tantric orgasm.
Best description of it. :lol

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #329 on: March 17, 2017, 11:17:52 AM »

Face. Melt.

We have a skate ring in town and I thought about suggesting the dj turn down the lights and put this song on.  I think people would get into skating to the song.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #330 on: March 17, 2017, 12:39:12 PM »

Face. Melt.
Still their best song. It's incredibly indulgent but JUST. SO. DAMN. GOOD.

It is fantastic, still probably my second favorite tune of theirs just behind the title track on that record.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #331 on: March 18, 2017, 02:51:14 AM »
So, I haven't listened to Frost* in years but I just dug up the two albums I have (the first two) and also I ordered the new one on vinyl. Looking forward to it! Can you guys tell me if the sound on the new one is a little more "organic"? That was always the problem for me, Frost* always sounded very "cold" to me. But I have always loved Hyperventilate.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #332 on: March 18, 2017, 09:52:34 AM »
Their newest album sounds just as "cold" as the first two imo. But it's still a great album.

Also Black Light Machine. :2metal:

Offline pcs90

« Reply #333 on: March 20, 2017, 01:47:14 PM »
Milliontown is by far my favorite album of theirs. There are a few nice sections on the last one too, but for me what really stuck out on Milliontown, as this usually does for me with bands, are the instrumental sections. There's some fantastic stuff on there, and not just in Hyperventilate. Wish they'd make another album similar to it!

Offline Nachtmerrie

« Reply #334 on: March 20, 2017, 01:54:58 PM »

Face. Melt.

Wow! Amazing song. That was the highlight of my weekend :tup (which already was pretty good)

Thanks!

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #335 on: March 28, 2017, 04:10:47 AM »
So my Falling Satellites Vinyl finally arrived and I've listened to it twice now, plus once to the CD in my car. I've really started to like the electronic sound they have. Also in the last two years or so I've come to like some actual pop music. And many times while listening to FS I thought, man this is pop (Lights Out) but damn good pop with a lot of prog passages and played pretty wickedly (<-- that word looks weird I hope you get what I mean).

Does anyone know why Dec Burke is not part of the band anymore? Not that I really miss him, I never disliked the vocals by Jem and John, plus they have become way better since 10 years ago.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #336 on: March 28, 2017, 08:16:06 AM »
So my Falling Satellites Vinyl finally arrived and I've listened to it twice now, plus once to the CD in my car. I've really started to like the electronic sound they have. Also in the last two years or so I've come to like some actual pop music. And many times while listening to FS I thought, man this is pop (Lights Out) but damn good pop with a lot of prog passages and played pretty wickedly (<-- that word looks weird I hope you get what I mean).

How would you compare the sound of the vinyl vs the cd?

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #337 on: March 28, 2017, 08:24:51 AM »

How would you compare the sound of the vinyl vs the cd?

Well I have listened to the CD on a completely different sound system than the vinyl but overall I'd say the vinyl sounds pretty good. Although it's a little weird that on one song (I think the first bonus track) the band put vinyl-noises on the song as a gimmick. When listening to the CD it's a cool effect but when you listen to it on actual vinyl you get the feeling there's something wrong with your copy :D although it's obviously supposed to be like that.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #338 on: March 28, 2017, 11:53:17 AM »
It's been about six months since I first listened to Falling Satellites and I gotta say: this feels like the rightful successor to Milliontown rather than EIMA. Well, anyway.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #339 on: October 13, 2017, 07:58:28 AM »
I'm listening to Falling Satellites after a long while. Oh man, I forgot how cool this record was!  :metal
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #340 on: January 21, 2018, 08:28:25 AM »
Has anyone noticed the amount of pictures the band has been posting on Facebook today? I think something is up... I could imagine they are about to announce a new album.

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #341 on: January 21, 2018, 08:56:01 AM »
Has anyone noticed the amount of pictures the band has been posting on Facebook today? I think something is up... I could imagine they are about to announce a new album.

Well, there's a new instagram account where Jem has been posting construction pictures of his new studio.

I think the latest news is that this year will see the release of a show filmed and recorded last fall.    All the while Jem will be writing material for a new studio album that should be released next year, but with him you never know.    That being said I think with this latest album cycle Jem has finally come to a good place regarding Frost*.  It's still a hobby and not his day job but I suspect he won't  disband it this time.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #342 on: January 21, 2018, 01:38:51 PM »
I think he said something about releasing an EP this year.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online The Letter M

« Reply #343 on: January 21, 2018, 05:36:40 PM »
Petition to change the title of this thread to "Official Frost* Thread" or something similar? Every time I see "Frost* news" pop up, I think there is legit, real news to be found, but it's just rumors and hearsay. :lol Not that I don't appreciate that, but it's a bit misleading. I was so excited seeing this thread pop up earlier today...ah well.

A new album or EP would be nice. Falling Satellites is a great album and I hope Jem keeps up with this band. A new album every 3 or so years would be nice if he can make it happen! An actual live home video concert would be good too. One of my favorite live albums in the last ten years was 2010's The Philadelphia Experiment, which is a fun and exciting live album from them, and having NDV on drums is pretty awesome as well.

I still wish we had SOMETHING from the Defence Of The Realm, from the 2010 Summer's End festival. The setlist for that show looks amazing!
https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/frost/2010/lydney-town-hall-lydney-england-43f11ff3.html

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #344 on: July 25, 2018, 05:25:00 AM »
Quote from:  InsideOut FB
Official Frost*, the band masterminded by producer, keyboard player & vocalist Jem Godfrey, has announced that they have re-signed with long-time label partner InsideOutMusic (who this year celebrate their 25th anniversary).

This new deal will encompass several forthcoming releases, including 2 new studio albums, a live album (filmed at 2017’s sold out show in London), as well as reissues of the bands back catalogue. Jem had this to say: “InsideOut have been a long suffering supporter of Frost*. Unwaveringly supportive even when I was lobbing as many toys as I could find out of my pram. As time has passed, I’ve grown up and come to realise what a luxury it is to have a record company of this calibre covering your back. Many bands don’t have that luxury so I’m absolutely raring to go with the new album and the one beyond that.”

InsideOutMusic label-head Thomas Waber adds: "I am really pleased that we managed to extend our partnership with Frost* mastermind Jem Godfrey. His unpredictable nature and humour is a breath of fresh air in this genre and provides for some of the best music we have released on the label. Let's see what mischief we can come up with in the years to come!"

More news on these forthcoming releases will be released in the coming months.

Giggity on the live album. 
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #345 on: July 25, 2018, 06:05:07 AM »
Petition to change the title of this thread to "Official Frost* Thread" or something similar? Every time I see "Frost* news" pop up, I think there is legit, real news to be found

+1 to this, except that jingly posted some actual news just now; cool stuff indeed!
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #346 on: July 25, 2018, 06:39:37 AM »
Wow, that really sounds like Jem will be committing a lot more time to this band and 2 new albums? I'm excited right now even if it takes 2 years to get the first one of them.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline romdrums

Re: The Frost* thread
« Reply #347 on: July 25, 2018, 08:35:51 AM »
Color me excited.  I loved Falling Satellites, so more Frost* is certainly good news!
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #348 on: July 25, 2018, 09:00:05 AM »
Not just one but TWO albums?! Awesome. Just heard Milliontown a few months ago and it blew my freaking mind so I'm all over these when they come out.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #349 on: July 25, 2018, 11:07:30 AM »
He said on twitter not so long ago that he was working on an EP and a new studio album, maybe these are the two releases?