Author Topic: The Frost* thread  (Read 75268 times)

Offline Phantasmatron

• Peanut Butter Advocate and Jelly Enthusiast
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What the Jenkins?!
Re: Frost* news
« Reply #105 on: January 06, 2013, 03:50:07 PM »
This is excellent news. 

:caffeine-avarium:

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #106 on: January 06, 2013, 04:08:49 PM »
Someone should make a rolling :caffeine:
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline robwebster

« Reply #107 on: January 06, 2013, 06:02:21 PM »
Holy fucking piss, Batman.

I don't know if a live recording of Heartstrings will make the wait easier to take or harder. I'm hoping for easier. I say hoping, it's more of a wish, really.

Offline E.S.

« Reply #108 on: January 07, 2013, 04:46:30 AM »
I had the pleasure of seeing the lads live in December, and oh boy! The new tunes are pretty sweet! Can't wait to hear them on the proper dvd.

Also, Jem AND Jordan? Oh dear... I don't know if it's possible to survive that much epicness.  :biggrin:

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #109 on: January 07, 2013, 05:02:59 AM »
It sounds like I am going to be needing to check these guys out. I have heard much about them.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline robwebster

« Reply #110 on: January 13, 2013, 09:40:55 AM »
Frost* - Six Minutes in September, Part 1

Weird title! Very different. Can see it being quite cool, though. Intriguing, for a conceptual piece. Wonder if the second one's going to have the same name.

Offline jsem

« Reply #111 on: January 13, 2013, 10:41:09 AM »
Part 1? :caffeine:

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #112 on: January 13, 2013, 10:46:05 AM »
I am so looking forward to the Frost* Reports that are sure to follow this news.

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
  • Streams of Light Unite With Water
« Reply #113 on: January 13, 2013, 12:55:14 PM »
My copy of Milliontown finally came in the mail. I'll let you guys know how the first listen goes.
Perhaps you should ask bosk to reverse the "e" and "a" in the second half of your user name.
Cedar redaC swoops in for the kill!

Offline jsem

« Reply #114 on: January 13, 2013, 12:59:23 PM »
My copy of Milliontown finally came in the mail. I'll let you guys know how the first listen goes.
YESYESYESYES

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #115 on: January 13, 2013, 01:00:52 PM »

Its loud but a good loud.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #116 on: January 14, 2013, 02:07:45 PM »

If you don't like it, you should seriously consider suicide.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #117 on: January 14, 2013, 05:19:20 PM »
Oh my Gawd, I can't wait for the JR appearance on part 2. I'm dying here, knowing we'll have to wait that long. :lol

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
  • Streams of Light Unite With Water
« Reply #118 on: January 14, 2013, 05:21:43 PM »

If you don't like it, you should seriously consider suicide.

I've listened to it twice now, and I really quite enjoy it. The last five minutes of "Milliontown" are pure gold.
Perhaps you should ask bosk to reverse the "e" and "a" in the second half of your user name.
Cedar redaC swoops in for the kill!

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #119 on: January 14, 2013, 05:23:32 PM »
My favorite section of that song has got to be The Only Survivors. Such an uplifting harmony. That said, Snowman and Hyperventilate will always be my favorite songs. Good God, Hyperventilate. I really want to learn to play it (a slightly easier task for my being a drummer; I can't imagine what a nightmare it is for keyboardists to teach themselves).

Edit: By the way, the alleged first chord of Frost* 3 (5:05 on Sept 2012 Report) is positively orgasmic. It's so enticing.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 05:35:22 PM by Super Dude »

Offline ddtonfire

« Reply #120 on: January 14, 2013, 06:23:28 PM »
My favorite section of that song has got to be The Only Survivors.

The bass groove in that section is HUGE. My favorite part are the three minutes following 19:20.

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #121 on: May 12, 2013, 11:38:06 AM »
New blog from Jem Godfrey:
https://planetfrost.blogspot.co.uk/

Here's the news regarding the new releases:
The latest news is that we're releasing a new third album in place of Six Minutes In September. 6MIS is still in production and will absolutely and definitely be released, but logistically a new single album ties in nicely with the completion of our 3 album deal with InsideOut in precisely the same way an epic story told over 2 albums doesn't. In all honesty, we tried to do a deal, but couldn't agree terms on it. I didn't want to be in a situation where I owned one half of it, but not the other and neither did they.

I could cover all this in politically correct "otherspeak", but I'm old, I like a simple life and get tired of telling porkies at gigs about stuff like this. And besides, it's all perfectly amicable.

So my plan is to spend the rest of the year writing and demoing it up, then myself and the boys will decamp to Rockfield for a week to track the whole thing as a band after which I shall take it home to tweak it and mix it for a release next Summer. Have no fears that this will a "that'll do" record, it'll be a belter, I know this coz I've already got the first 10 minutes of it written.

Production on 6MIS will then continue from there so the good news is there will be a new Frost album every year for 3 years starting next year.

Additionally, I'm also going to re-record Milliontown and Experiments In Mass Appeal with Blunders and Nath replacing Andy and JJ's original parts as part of a remastered original version release with accompanying "making of" extended HD Frost reports.

So - DVD this year, a new album in 2014, a new album in 2015, a new album in 2016 and new versions of albums 1 and 2 in between.
To be honest, it's hard for me to get excited about all this.  :( Recording studio albums to fulfill record company contracts usually ends badly (i.e. Love Beach). I'm sure this one will at least be decent, but still...

And re-recording the first two studio albums with the new members seems totally unnecessary. Was there a falling out between Godfrey and Jowitt and Edwards or something?  :huh:

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #122 on: May 12, 2013, 12:52:47 PM »
Yeah, not sure how to feel about this.  :|

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #123 on: May 12, 2013, 01:40:37 PM »
I see no problem at all, means we just need to wait a bit longer for the two parts of 6 Minutes, so if you want to ignore the in between album you can. Personally I think Jem comes up with a lot of great ideas quickly when the mood takes him, so even a somewhat rushed album could be great.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #124 on: May 12, 2013, 02:12:59 PM »
I see no problem at all, means we just need to wait a bit longer for the two parts of 6 Minutes, so if you want to ignore the in between album you can. Personally I think Jem comes up with a lot of great ideas quickly when the mood takes him, so even a somewhat rushed album could be great.
The waiting part isn't what bothers me; it's the fact that the album may be made with the wrong intentions. It could come off as halfhearted due to the record label contract. Still, I'll check it out with an open mind.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #125 on: May 12, 2013, 02:23:01 PM »
And then again it might be a "fuck it all, I pulling all the stops here" album that treads new ground. Often an outside constraint works wonders on an artist.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline ddtonfire

« Reply #126 on: May 12, 2013, 02:25:44 PM »
Weren't many major bands in the 70's contractually obliged to put out two albums a year? Seemed to work fine for them.

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #127 on: May 12, 2013, 02:33:49 PM »
And then again it might be a "fuck it all, I pulling all the stops here" album that treads new ground. Often an outside constraint works wonders on an artist.
True. We will see!

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #128 on: May 12, 2013, 02:37:21 PM »
My only regret is having to wait longer to hear the first note of September as shown in the latest Report.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #129 on: May 12, 2013, 04:44:01 PM »
To be honest, it's hard for me to get excited about all this.  :( Recording studio albums to fulfill record company contracts usually ends badly (i.e. Love Beach).
Have no fears that this will [be] a "that'll do" record, it'll be a belter, I know this coz I've already got the first 10 minutes of it written.

My only "arrrgh!" is the timing - 6MiS's predecessor's going to be a year later than 6MiS was scheduled, and I'm sure there'll be further delays... but, new Frost*! And more albums than we'd previously anticipated! Excellent.

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #130 on: May 12, 2013, 04:54:19 PM »
To be honest, it's hard for me to get excited about all this.  :( Recording studio albums to fulfill record company contracts usually ends badly (i.e. Love Beach).

Have no fears that this will [be] a "that'll do" record, it'll be a belter, I know this coz I've already got the first 10 minutes of it written.
Of course he's going to say it'll be good!

I guess I was being too cynical. I'm sure there will be some great material on the album.

Offline Phantasmatron

• Peanut Butter Advocate and Jelly Enthusiast
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What the Jenkins?!
« Reply #131 on: May 13, 2013, 12:52:36 AM »

My only "arrrgh!" is the timing - 6MiS's predecessor's going to be a year later than 6MiS was scheduled, and I'm sure there'll be further delays... but, new Frost*! And more albums than we'd previously anticipated! Excellent.

This is pretty much where I'm at too.

And I'm agreeing with robwebster, so I know I'm right.

Online Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #132 on: May 13, 2013, 04:53:54 AM »
So wait, we ares till getting a Frost* album this year aren't we?
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline robwebster

« Reply #133 on: May 25, 2013, 07:00:19 AM »
Nope! DVD this year, album 2014.

New songs this year, though. https://www.planetfrost.com/ Heartstrings and Fathers, uploaded in demo form to the official website. Check 'em out!

ETA: I didn't care much for Heartstrings, but I am loving Fathers.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 07:22:07 AM by robwebster »

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #134 on: June 17, 2013, 05:41:36 PM »
Found a fairly recent Frost* update.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edcad6cMheQ

Not really any news, but it's amusing.

Offline E.S.

« Reply #135 on: July 26, 2013, 08:13:18 AM »
'Tis a nice day for Cap'n Frost* today, as the rights to Milliontown now belongs to him again. It's now re-released, ever so slightly remixed and includes some bonus tracks of audio from the upcoming DVD, a special little Frost* report, new artwork and a remix of The Other Me by... well, me actually. :)

So go and get it at Bandcamp

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #136 on: July 26, 2013, 08:25:42 AM »
You're Espen Storo? I love that mix! It's in my iTunes top 50 (#29, to be exact). :laugh:

One more thing: since the price is in British Pounds, how does that work for American purchases?

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #137 on: July 26, 2013, 10:18:51 AM »
It should automatically convert, you won't even have to think about it. I buy things from Bandcamp all the time and never in my own currency. If you're wondering about the conversion, it'll be $9.22 USD.

I'll wait for a few people here to buy and discuss this before I do. I'm not sure that an ever so slight remix, a bonus live track and a bonus remix is enough to warrant a second purchase, just yet.

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #138 on: July 26, 2013, 12:29:13 PM »
now I can buy The Dividing Line without getting the whole CD.

The Dividing Line is one of the best pieces of rock music ever created.  It is addictively good.  It might just be better than any single thing DT has put out.  (ok, I would probably rate SDOIT as better, but SDOIT is 42 minutes long.  Dividing Line is so much awesomeness crammed into 16 minutes.  pure joy.)

Offline robwebster

« Reply #139 on: July 26, 2013, 12:47:39 PM »
now I can buy The Dividing Line without getting the whole CD.

The Dividing Line is one of the best pieces of rock music ever created.  It is addictively good.  It might just be better than any single thing DT has put out.  (ok, I would probably rate SDOIT as better, but SDOIT is 42 minutes long.  Dividing Line is so much awesomeness crammed into 16 minutes.  pure joy.)
Only in progressive rock can sixteen minutes worth of song be referred to as "crammed in."

Also, I am very disappointed that Fathers has disappeared from Soundcloud. But very pleased to see all the new Milliontown stuff. Had a listen earlier - do the effects at the start of The Other Me sound... different?