Author Topic: Gmail Users Report All Emails Deleted  (Read 3380 times)

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
Gmail Users Report All Emails Deleted
« on: February 28, 2011, 05:43:44 AM »
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/02/27/gmail-reset-emails-deleted_n_828863.html

Some Gmail users are reporting a major problem with Google's email service--specifically, that all of their emails, labels, themes, folders, and other personalized settings have all been erased.

Several Gmail help forums were filled with users who had experienced this problem. Users reported that they were able to receive new messages, but that none of their previous email exchanges were appearing. Contacts appear to have been preserved and the issue only seems to be affecting a subset of Gmail users ("less than .29% of the Google Mail userbase," according to Google).

"I have lost ALL on my emails/folders etc. from gmail. Why would this happen? How can I restore everything?" wrote user bkishan.

"I was on my eMail normal and when I refreshed all my account settings, eMail, labels, contacts etc has just disappeared. I was running at 80% capacity is that anything to do with it? Is there a way that one can restore all of that?" asked another.

LibertyGirlLondon wrote in a blog post, "It is clear from the Gmail forums and Twitter that hundreds if not thousands of people have had their Gmail accounts compromised. A firm believer in the concept of cloud computing, it never occurred to me that my Gmail account could one day disappear."

Google is aware of the problem and updated their App Status dashboard to acknowledge the issue.

Google wrote at 3:09PM ET on February 27, "We're investigating reports of an issue with Google Mail. We will provide more information shortly."
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Gmail Users Report All Emails Deleted
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 05:45:48 AM »
Interesting. It hasn't happened to me though.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 05:47:13 AM »
Also:
A firm believer in the concept of cloud computing, it never occurred to me that my Gmail account could one day disappear

lol
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2011, 06:12:01 AM »
I'm just glad it didn't happen to me. There are several Gmail back-up programs available, maybe I should start using them.
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2011, 06:16:22 AM »
It wouldn't really bother me if my emails were erased. All I would lose is a bunch of "GROW YOUR DICK SIZE IN 5 MINUTES" emails and a bunch of "You Amazon Order has been shipped!"

Nothing important.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2011, 06:24:06 AM »
I'm glad that I was spared. I do have some important mails on my account, so it would be pretty bad if they got lost.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline jsem

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2011, 06:36:14 AM »
I'm glad that I was spared. I do have some important mails on my account, so it would be pretty bad if they got lost.

Offline Vivace

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2011, 07:03:40 AM »
It wouldn't really bother me if my emails were erased. All I would lose is a bunch of "GROW YOUR DICK SIZE IN 5 MINUTES" emails and a bunch of "You Amazon Order has been shipped!"

Nothing important.
"What kind of Jedis are these? Guardians of peace and justice my ass!"

"Ha ha! You fool! My Kung Fu is also big for have been trained in your Jedi arts why not!"

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2011, 07:20:44 AM »
Eh. Google will get out the tapes, retrieve the last backup, merge it with the current,  and that's it.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2011, 08:27:00 AM »
I'm just glad it didn't happen to me. There are several Gmail back-up programs available, maybe I should start using them.

This.
Quote from: Jamesman42
Global Laziness: Speaks for Canada
Quote from: black_floyd
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2011, 08:30:41 AM »
Eh. Google will get out the tapes, retrieve the last backup, merge it with the current,  and that's it.

rumborak

Hopefully it's that simple (I'm not one of the ones affected, but the idea draws my sympathy).  I wonder how many people .29% of millions of users is?

What?  Where?
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2011, 08:39:46 AM »
This wouldn't really bother me. I don't use my email for anything other than needed it to register for stuff. If mine got deleted, all I'd lose would be a few million FB notifications.

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2011, 08:49:12 AM »

What?  Where?
https://www.gmail-backup.com/gmail-backup-0107 At least that's where it's supposed to be, I imagine it's down because of the sudden rush to back-up your account. :lol

Offline Volk9

• DTF's Representative of the Negro Community
  • Pokeballs got nothin' on this
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2011, 09:59:20 AM »
Interesting. It hasn't happened to me though.

This, and it wouldnt matter too much. Nothing too important in there.
DOWNLOAD MY FREE NEW ALBUM!

(For fans of breakbeat, trip hop, acid jazz, etc)

https://abstractinthesky.com/

<br />Yeah, once you graduate high school, you need to listen to Death Metal like an adult.<br />

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • ţađ besta sem guđ hefur skapađ er nýr dagur
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2011, 01:35:12 AM »

rumborak
Tapes, really?

You and me go parallel, together and apart

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2011, 01:57:08 AM »
The fact that this happened to supposedly 3/10 gmail users and I've yet to meet anyone who's had it happen to them makes me wonder if this is another internet 'hoax' news story spreading like wildfire.

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2011, 02:04:40 AM »
The fact that this happened to supposedly 3/10 gmail users and I've yet to meet anyone who's had it happen to them makes me wonder if this is another internet 'hoax' news story spreading like wildfire.
"less than .29%". That means 0.29%. ;) Plus, it's been acknowledgedby Google themselves.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2011, 02:09:09 AM »
 :facepalm:

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2011, 07:20:33 AM »

rumborak
Tapes, really?

Yeah, both my current and my last company (both 100% software companies) used tapes for backups. The thing is, there is no better medium for bulk backup really. You can store 1.5TB on top-end tapes in one swoop, whereas Blu-Ray has 50GB max.
And keeping a copy live on a second set of hard disks would be very expensive.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2011, 10:31:32 AM »
So some hackers apparently hacked a website that dealt with bitcoins. They got my email and password... and now I'm fucked because Hotmail sucks and won't allow any mail that's not on my contact list to get to my inbox, so I can't reset it my other mail's password.

I think these are the same people that are hacking lots of websites to make a cross-reference that tells which are the most common passwords in the interwebz.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2011, 12:00:46 PM »
This is why I'm a firm believer that if you have anything important on a cloud then you should also have a copy of it somewhere not on a cloud.

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • ţađ besta sem guđ hefur skapađ er nýr dagur
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2011, 12:24:19 PM »
emindead, use www.hashapass.com

Pretty handy.

You and me go parallel, together and apart

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2011, 02:58:25 PM »

rumborak
Tapes, really?

Yeah, both my current and my last company (both 100% software companies) used tapes for backups. The thing is, there is no better medium for bulk backup really. You can store 1.5TB on top-end tapes in one swoop, whereas Blu-Ray has 50GB max.

rumborak

Agreed, I am a data center engineer for a large bank and they still use tape back ups. Reliable and you can store them off site easily.

Offline jeebustrain

• King of Disappointment
  • EZBoard Elder
  • suck it
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2011, 09:55:49 AM »

rumborak
Tapes, really?

rumborak

If the company has the cash, virtual tape libraries are where it's at. We have a pair of EMC DD880s that do full deduplication of data, compression, and realtime replication to a backup unit in another datacenter across the country. Raw space is about 50TB per node, but it's expandable into the PB range. We've been slowly migrating things off LTO4 tape for the last 8 months or so and have had fantastic results. I've gone from being able to do point-in time restore windows of 3 weeks on my database clusters to 2 months and have been able to run full backups every night (instead of once per week). The coolest thing about the dedupe appliances is that it scans everything at the bit level and only actually stores the "new" bits of data.

My guess is that this sort of thing what Google is probably using for their backups - with tapes only used for long-term archives.