Author Topic: Intel and Apple coming out with LightPeak today!  (Read 6841 times)

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
Re: Intel and Apple coming out with LightPeak today!
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2011, 07:18:54 PM »
Sure, but unless the hardware you're connecting supports and requires that bandwidth, it's pointless. Keyboards/mice have no need for it, and, as, XJ pointed out, hard drives have way more limited write speeds than that, so pretty much every other large capacity piece of hardware you'd need such speed for is already bottlenecked by it's own limitations. It's like getting a trailer hitch for a truck that can support 100 tons of weight, but your truck can only pull 10 tons.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2011, 07:21:47 PM »
Sigz wins the thread.
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2011, 07:30:48 PM »
I'm sure it will get some use in the pro sector like Firewire has made some headway in the pro audio sector. But I can't see it being the next big thing. Especially when every PC on earth uses USB for pretty much everything. Whatever the specs thunderbolt has, USB 3.0 has the advantage that 99% of existing hardware can use it, compared to thunderbolts launch line of about 5 items.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 07:36:03 PM by XJDenton »
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2011, 08:19:21 PM »
ok then why would Intel spend years and MILLIONS of dollars developing this if there was no point. What's the point of USB3 then? or esata or anything that is made to increase speed.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2011, 08:22:43 PM »
ok then why would Intel spend years and MILLIONS of dollars developing this if there was no point.
For the same reason Apple spend years developing FireWire.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2011, 09:54:13 PM »
Yeah to guys are right it's useless garbage.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2011, 09:57:40 PM »
I don't know if it's useless garbage. It's certainly not the next big thing, though.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2011, 10:01:06 PM »
ok then why would Intel spend years and MILLIONS of dollars developing this if there was no point.

This, this is essentially how all big companies work. They spend a ton of money developing something relatively useless or unnecessary and then create a huge advertising shitstorm and it gets blown completely out of proportion. Then, the average consumer, being about as intelligent as a dinosaur, buys it.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2011, 10:35:25 PM »

This, this is essentially how all big companies work. They spend a ton of money developing something relatively useless or unnecessary and then create a huge advertising shitstorm and it gets blown completely out of proportion. Then, the average consumer, being about as intelligent as a dinosaur, buys it.

tl;dr: Apple

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2011, 10:37:55 PM »

And all this is extremely effective in providing material for Dilbert.

Offline Volk9

• DTF's Representative of the Negro Community
  • Pokeballs got nothin' on this
« Reply #45 on: February 25, 2011, 10:39:11 PM »
DOWNLOAD MY FREE NEW ALBUM!

(For fans of breakbeat, trip hop, acid jazz, etc)

https://abstractinthesky.com/

<br />Yeah, once you graduate high school, you need to listen to Death Metal like an adult.<br />

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #46 on: February 25, 2011, 10:43:34 PM »
Boy, he sure is skinny.

Offline Vivace

« Reply #47 on: February 25, 2011, 10:57:01 PM »
 The biggest thing Lightpeak needs to prove is not speed but affordability. USB is uber cheap to manufacture thus it doesn't drive the price of PCs up and you can have 10 plugs on your computer. How expensive is Lightpeak to manufacture? This was one of the biggest downfalls for firewire and why it never caught on as much as USB. If Lightpeak cannot provide the same inexpensive hardware that USB has, it won't make it in the current marketplace.
"What kind of Jedis are these? Guardians of peace and justice my ass!"

"Ha ha! You fool! My Kung Fu is also big for have been trained in your Jedi arts why not!"

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #48 on: February 25, 2011, 10:58:33 PM »
This thread made me lol so hard.

:lol :lol :lol
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • şağ besta sem guğ hefur skapağ er nır dagur
« Reply #49 on: February 26, 2011, 06:53:38 AM »
Sure, but unless the hardware you're connecting supports and requires that bandwidth, it's pointless. Keyboards/mice have no need for it, and, as, XJ pointed out, hard drives have way more limited write speeds than that, so pretty much every other large capacity piece of hardware you'd need such speed for is already bottlenecked by it's own limitations. It's like getting a trailer hitch for a truck that can support 100 tons of weight, but your truck can only pull 10 tons.
Yes but what about flash drives? I think 5 years or so we'll all have SSDs.

You and me go parallel, together and apart

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: February 26, 2011, 07:34:44 AM »
So this is just a first step and maybe in some years it'll become standard. Cool.

Offline webpoet73

• DT.net Veteran
  • I am like a ghost...
« Reply #51 on: February 26, 2011, 09:54:28 AM »
I am sure that if this didn't have Apple's involvement in it, people might be more excited.  The moment "Apple" is mentioned, the PC crowd immediately dismisses it.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #52 on: February 26, 2011, 09:59:20 AM »
Not really. I honestly just don't see what's exciting about a new connection, high transfer rates or not. Sure, it could become the norm in five years after the rest of our hardware catches up, and if it does cool beans. But I don't generally smile myself over new technology, and this certainly isn't going to have much of an impact on my life any time soon, so I don't see much reason to be excited.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #53 on: February 26, 2011, 10:09:55 AM »
Yes but what about flash drives? I think 5 years or so we'll all have SSDs.

Currently they top out at 250 mb/s. And thats the ultra fast ones. And SSDs won't take over the sector until they are somewhat comparable in size.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #54 on: February 26, 2011, 10:15:39 AM »
Not really. I honestly just don't see what's exciting about a new connection, high transfer rates or not. Sure, it could become the norm in five years after the rest of our hardware catches up, and if it does cool beans.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Vivace

« Reply #55 on: February 26, 2011, 10:48:51 AM »
I am sure that if this didn't have Apple's involvement in it, people might be more excited.  The moment "Apple" is mentioned, the PC crowd immediately dismisses it.

Could you give us some evidence of this statement. It kinda sounds like it's all a lot of hot air but maybe I'm missing a few key pieces from articles and studies that actually make the above statement hold any merit whatsoever?

"Ha ha! You fool! My Kung Fu is also big for have been trained in your Jedi arts why not!"

Offline webpoet73

• DT.net Veteran
  • I am like a ghost...
« Reply #56 on: February 26, 2011, 07:50:09 PM »

Could you give us some evidence of this statement. It kinda sounds like it's all a lot of hot air but maybe I'm missing a few key pieces from articles and studies that actually make the above statement hold any merit whatsoever?

Just read the comments at Engadget.  That is more than enough proof.  If this had been MS and Intel, it would be the best thing since sliced bread.   Apple is the most loved/hated company.  Even more so than Microsoft.

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #57 on: February 26, 2011, 09:44:06 PM »
yes if the Thread title was Intel and Google coming out with LightPeak today. I would be mopping up the semen from this forums floor.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 10:04:52 PM by tjanuranus »

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #58 on: February 26, 2011, 10:02:03 PM »
I am sure that if this didn't have Apple's involvement in it, people might be more excited.  The moment "Apple" is mentioned, the PC crowd immediately dismisses it.

Just read the comments at Engadget.  That is more than enough proof.  If this had been MS and Intel, it would be the best thing since sliced bread.   Apple is the most loved/hated company.  Even more so than Microsoft.

Do people even hate microsoft anymore? The apple faithful i don't believe do.  Because they aren't really a competitor. They own the Desktop OS market. Apple isn't trying to compete there anymore. Their OS is for their products only and that's the way it is and that's the way i like it. I hope that NEVER changes.

Honestly i don't understand all the hate for apple or any other company. They are major corporations if you don't like them don't buy their products. This goes for any company. For instance i personally can't stand Windows. But i don't start threads about how Microsoft sucks ass and Apple is so much better or whatever, like certain threads on this board in particular. And then of course the Nostradomus statements like Lightpeak will be a failure and no one will use it, etc...

I've used apple products almost exclusively since the late 90's because of love the way they work and the way they integrate all of their products. I could go into a lot more detail but that would be pointless. I'm currently in school so i can work for the damn company (as i stated in a different thread.) because i believe in the company and it's been a dream of mine to do so. But if anyone wants to use ANY other product more power to them. But to hate those other companies that you would start threads just to bash them or take the chance in any tech thread to bash them? Seems pretty pathetic to me.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 11:30:15 PM by tjanuranus »

Offline SDFprowler

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #59 on: February 26, 2011, 11:16:28 PM »

Do people even hate microsoft anymore? The apple faithful i don't believe do.  Because they aren't really a competitor. They own the Desktop OS market. Apple isn't trying to compete there anymore. Their OS is for their products only and that's the way it is and that's the way i like it. I hope that NEVER changes.

Honestly i don't understand all the hate for apple or any other company. They are major corporations if you don't like them don't buy their products. This goes for any company. For instance i personally can't stand Windows. But i don't start threads about how Microsoft sucks ass and Apple is so much better or whatever, like certain threads on this board in particular. And then of course the Nostradomus statements like Lightpeak will be a failure and no one will use it, etc...

I've used apple products almost exclusively since the late 90's because of love the way they work and the way they integrate all of their products. I could into a lot more detail but that would be pointless. I'm currently in school so i can work for the damn company (as i stated in a different thread.) because i believe in the company and it's been a dream of mine to do so. But if anyone wants to use ANY other product more power to them. But to hate those other companies that you would start threads just to bash them or take the chance in any tech thread to bash them? Seems pretty pathetic to me.

Well said.  I don't use any Apple products and I don't care to, but I certainly don't hate the company.  They're kicking huge amounts of ass in most of what they do.

Offline Vivace

« Reply #60 on: February 26, 2011, 11:20:09 PM »
I am sure that if this didn't have Apple's involvement in it, people might be more excited.  The moment "Apple" is mentioned, the PC crowd immediately dismisses it.

Just read the comments at Engadget.  That is more than enough proof.  If this had been MS and Intel, it would be the best thing since sliced bread.   Apple is the most loved/hated company.  Even more so than Microsoft.

So you state from Engadget that seems to be a anything technical site that anyone who said something negative about Lightpeak is automatically anti-Mac? Isn't that like saying if I don't like Sarah Palin I'm automatically anti-american? Do you see the fault in this logic? Granted it is the internet so cynicism breeds like a cancer and we both know there are people out there who do exist under the above criteria but above blanket statements like that is pretty much the reason I stopped arguing or even listening to Mac or PC fanatics.

Offline webpoet73

• DT.net Veteran
  • I am like a ghost...
« Reply #61 on: February 27, 2011, 08:02:31 AM »

Just read the comments at Engadget.  That is more than enough proof.  If this had been MS and Intel, it would be the best thing since sliced bread.   Apple is the most loved/hated company.  Even more so than Microsoft.

So you state from Engadget that seems to be a anything technical site that anyone who said something negative about Lightpeak is automatically anti-Mac? Isn't that like saying if I don't like Sarah Palin I'm automatically anti-american? Do you see the fault in this logic? Granted it is the internet so cynicism breeds like a cancer and we both know there are people out there who do exist under the above criteria but above blanket statements like that is pretty much the reason I stopped arguing or even listening to Mac or PC fanatics.

Doesn't have to be lightpeak or whatever... read the comments on anything Apple-releated at Engadget or Gizmodo.  The iPhone seems to stir up the most "emotions."  Again, Apple is the most loved/hated company in tech.  I don't there this is much middle ground. 

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #62 on: February 27, 2011, 08:05:11 AM »
My scepticism for Lightpeak is independent of my opinions of apple.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #63 on: February 27, 2011, 08:48:59 AM »

I've used apple products almost exclusively since the late 90's because of love the way they work and the way they integrate all of their products. I could go into a lot more detail but that would be pointless. I'm currently in school so i can work for the damn company (as i stated in a different thread.) because i believe in the company and it's been a dream of mine to do so. But if anyone wants to use ANY other product more power to them. But to hate those other companies that you would start threads just to bash them or take the chance in any tech thread to bash them? Seems pretty pathetic to me.

I'm not a techie, so I usually don't give a shit about new technology. What I despise, though, is the way Apple markets their brand; not their product. And they're wildly successful at that, based on your reactions to this product alone.

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #64 on: February 27, 2011, 10:24:46 AM »
what do you mean based on my reaction to this product? They haven't marketed light peak. They put it on their mbpros. That's it. I've been waiting for this for years now.

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #65 on: June 24, 2011, 01:01:35 PM »
Looks like the first consumer Hd's are coming out with thunderbolt in a few weeks. I will be switching over to all thunderbolt products once i get a new mac! might be a couple years though. Mine still works fine at the moment.

https://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/24/hands-on-video-of-lacie-little-big-disk-ssd-with-thunderbolt/

Hands-On Video of LaCie Little Big Disk SSD With Thunderbolt

VIDEO IN LINK ABOVE...

Since Apple and Intel introduced the Thunderbolt high-speed connectivity standard back in February, users have been waiting for third-party manufacturers to deliver compatible peripherals taking advantage of the significant speed boost over existing mainstream interfaces.

At the Thunderbolt debut, prominent external hard drive solution provider LaCie was one of the first to commit to the new connectivity standard, noting that it was planning to release Thunderbolt-enabled versions of its Little Big Disk external hard drives.

SlashGear today posted a hands-on video with the Thunderbolt-enabled Little Big Disk, showing off an SSD-based version packing two 160 GB drives. LaCie's setup saw two such drives daisy-chained in a RAID 0 configuration with a 24-inch display tacked on at the end of the chain, all connected to a Core i7-based MacBook Pro. The drive setup was able to handle impressive read speeds of over 825 MB/sec and write speeds of over 350 MB/sec.
The first demo was a raw speed test, reading and writing to the drives with 4GB files. As you can see in the video, the MBP was able to write at up to 352.5 MB/s, while read speeds reached 827.2 MB/s. The company told us that the same setup had hit 870 MB/s peaks in their own testing.

The second test was playing back three simultaneous video files stored on the drives, each coming in at 1080p Full HD resolution. Again, as in the video, playback was stutter-free whether windowed or full-screen. We were also able to scrub back and forth through the clip - with the two others running in the background - with no lag or pauses.

SSD models of the Little Big Disk with Thunderbolt are due to ship this summer ("a question of weeks from now", according to the LaCie representative), but pricing has not yet been released. More budget-friendly models based on traditional hard drives are also in the works, although LaCie has yet to offer a release timeline for those models.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #66 on: June 24, 2011, 08:49:03 PM »
As others have mentioned, wireless is where it's at. I think USB over wireless already exists, but it needs to become more prevalent.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #67 on: June 24, 2011, 09:56:21 PM »
As others have mentioned, wireless is where it's at. I think USB over wireless already exists, but it needs to become more prevalent.

rumborak

Wireless for this type of work? Maybe in 20 years. Watch the video and tell me how long you think it will be before wireless can do that. We will both probably be dead.

Offline TL

« Reply #68 on: June 24, 2011, 10:07:50 PM »
I'd say it will be at most 5 years before we see a wireless solution that can do that.

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #69 on: June 24, 2011, 10:18:29 PM »
There is no way in 5 years if this technology is just coming out now for hard wire it's a long way off for wireless.