do you like the producer of images and words

like david prater
39 (28.5%)
don't like david prater
35 (25.5%)
don't care either way
63 (46%)

Total Members Voted: 133

Author Topic: david prater =/  (Read 109536 times)

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
Re: david prater =/
« Reply #70 on: April 29, 2009, 09:05:58 AM »
Two points:

A) The chapters in Lifting Shadows with Prater were by far and away the most interesting chapters in the book.

B) The triggered snare issue is stupid.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #71 on: April 29, 2009, 09:08:44 AM »

I always liked the snare on I&W...

edit: what's impossible about the part 7:23 - 8:03 on metropolis?
because its impossible to play patterns on the ride and hihat and some crashes all while filling on the snare.
he hits the snare waaaaay too many times for it to be possible...
maybe if he had 3 arms :rollin
which with the way mike portnoy plays, i wouldnt doubt it

umm this comment is rather noobish.  I am going to assume you don't know much about the recording process and sampling a snare.  A triggered snare is whenever portnoy hits the snare drum, it triggers a saved snare sound.  Triggered snare does not mean the producer went in and started adding snare hits in there.  So everytime you hear a snare on I&W, portnoy has hit his snare drum.  Because the snare sound is the same on each hit, yes its impossible to make a drum sound exactly the same everytime, but definitely not impossible at all to play the song.  Haven't you seen live versions?  I really think you might be misunderstanding what the term triggered snare means.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline dech2410

« Reply #72 on: April 29, 2009, 09:19:47 AM »
1)As an answer to the question... I never spoke to that guy, so how the hell could I know I like him.

2)Furthermore, the snare issue... WTH :facepalm: The album rocks, and these kind of triggers are so typical for the album... Couldn't think of the album without the "triggers"

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #73 on: April 29, 2009, 09:22:50 AM »
Yeah, I think the triggered snare givews I&W that early 90s quality that makes it so magical. The album's production is perfect as it is, as it truly defines the time they were living as musicians and the type of music they were writing at the time.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline dech2410

« Reply #74 on: April 29, 2009, 09:24:22 AM »
Yeah, I think the triggered snare givews I&W that early 90s quality that makes it so magical. The album's production is perfect as it is, as it truly defines the time they were living as musicians and the type of music they were writing at the time.

thank you ^_^

Offline icanplaydrums

• Hayden Panettiere Enthusiast
  • DTF.org Member
  • bleeps and bloops
« Reply #75 on: April 29, 2009, 09:24:48 AM »
I'm no drummer, so anyone can explain to me why it's impossible to play it live?

The reason icysk8r says it's impossible to play because how loud the hits are (because they're triggered)
Basically, when Portnoy plays it live, the majority of the snare hits are just ghost notes, much quieter than how the triggered hits are on the CD.

So, it's not exactly impossible per se, just extremely difficult to make it sound exactly the same as the album.

(I hate triggered drums for this reason. They can make it seem like the drummer has much more talent than they actually do, because with triggers, you can just barely graze the drum and it'll register as and sound like a full hit)

because its impossible to play patterns on the ride and hihat and some crashes all while filling on the snare.

umm this comment is rather noobish.  I am going to assume you don't know much about the recording process and sampling a snare.  A triggered snare is whenever portnoy hits the snare drum, it triggers a saved snare sound.  Triggered snare does not mean the producer went in and started adding snare hits in there.  So everytime you hear a snare on I&W, portnoy has hit his snare drum.  Because the snare sound is the same on each hit, yes its impossible to make a drum sound exactly the same everytime, but definitely not impossible at all to play the song.  Haven't you seen live versions?  I really think you might be misunderstanding what the term triggered snare means.

Just putting my explanation and 7StringedBeast's good explanation together so it's easier for people to understand.

Offline Leeb Rocks

« Reply #76 on: April 29, 2009, 11:53:03 AM »
I quite like the feel the snare gives to the album.

I haven't read the book but from what I've heard Prater reacted in an overly harsh and immature way (trusting that I'm remembering the right section) to comments by the band members. He should be professional enough to accept that not everyone he works with will appreciate his work or his work ethic. But like I said I'm not privy to exactly what happened between the band and Prater.

As a producer I have nothing but respect for the man.

Offline popol

« Reply #77 on: April 29, 2009, 12:38:27 PM »

If he had made an off-the-cuff remark at some point, sure, I wouldn't think about it. But MP did it often and consistent enough that even Prater, who hardly hangs on MP's words, got inundated with it enough to feel forced to reply. And according to Lifting Shadows, Prater saw the situation before as a kind of cease-fire ("I kept my mouth shut for 15 years, why couldn't you?!").
If MP's comments about the snare really had been off-the-cuff, we wouldn't have leagues of n00bs starting threads about how they dislike Prater.

Well, it's easy for Prater to keep his mouth shut for 15 years, he decided to trigger the drums and has his way with it, what is it for him to complain? On the other hand, Portnoy has every right to be pissed at that guy for screwing up his work.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #78 on: April 29, 2009, 12:43:02 PM »
Not rushing to Prater's defense but using a book written about/from the perspective of Dream Theater might be a little, what's the word, biased. Lifting Shadows shows a producer who the band had problems with as a dick? No fucking way.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #79 on: April 29, 2009, 12:44:04 PM »
Why would he have to be pissed because his work was "screwed" in DT's so-called milestone? The album that created their fanbase, the album that gave them recognition around the world?
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #80 on: April 29, 2009, 12:48:17 PM »
Not rushing to Prater's defense but using a book written about/from the perspective of Dream Theater might be a little, what's the word, biased. Lifting Shadows shows a producer who the band had problems with as a dick? No fucking way.

While I haven't read it, I would assume that Rich Wilson has put Prater's words as they were said without making his own biased comments about him. Hopefully people who read it could make the distinction either way.
Not to mention that there are going to be people here who haven't read the book whose hate for him stems only from a triggered snare of all things.
This thread is really building my interest in the book (but I'm gonna wait until the second edition before I get it)
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #81 on: April 29, 2009, 12:54:15 PM »
Same. Isn't the first edition out of print anyways?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #82 on: April 29, 2009, 12:56:13 PM »
I actually haven't checked. I know there was a paperback edition. Was that available online though, or only at the shows?

Offline robbob

« Reply #83 on: April 29, 2009, 12:57:44 PM »

If he had made an off-the-cuff remark at some point, sure, I wouldn't think about it. But MP did it often and consistent enough that even Prater, who hardly hangs on MP's words, got inundated with it enough to feel forced to reply. And according to Lifting Shadows, Prater saw the situation before as a kind of cease-fire ("I kept my mouth shut for 15 years, why couldn't you?!").
If MP's comments about the snare really had been off-the-cuff, we wouldn't have leagues of n00bs starting threads about how they dislike Prater.

Well, it's easy for Prater to keep his mouth shut for 15 years, he decided to trigger the drums and has his way with it, what is it for him to complain? On the other hand, Portnoy has every right to be pissed at that guy for screwing up his work.

I kind of agree with this. Overall the I&W has a great sound but the triggered snare and bass drums have kinda a cheesy, '80's sound to them. Which reminds me of too many "hair metal" bands back in the day.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #84 on: April 29, 2009, 01:04:14 PM »

I kind of agree with this. Overall the I&W has a great sound but the triggered snare and bass drums have kinda a cheesy, '80's sound to them. Which reminds me of too many "hair metal" bands back in the day.

Which is probably why I love the sound of that album so much :metal :lol

Offline Starkweather

« Reply #85 on: April 29, 2009, 01:09:40 PM »
Pfft. I still haven't read my copy of Lifting Shadows.

The snare sounds fine.

Blob, we are talking about MP. He overreacts constantly, I mean, rumbo summed up all of my thoughts. He'll complain about every little thing if it isn't going his way.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #86 on: April 29, 2009, 01:11:38 PM »
True but it's not like he's written a song about it or anythi-

...oh shit.

Offline Starkweather

« Reply #87 on: April 29, 2009, 01:15:55 PM »
I actually like that song  :P

My main problem with MP is that he doesn't think he needs a producer or any outside ideas because he is able to do it himself (and JP), he's not that good. If he wants to do it, fine, but ideas outside of two people often bring new life to something.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #88 on: April 29, 2009, 01:16:18 PM »

The snare sounds fine.

Blob, we are talking about MP. He overreacts constantly, I mean, rumbo summed up all of my thoughts. He'll complain about every little thing if it isn't going his way.

Well that's the thing. People use this generalization to assume it's all MP's fault without regard for all the facts. The first time I know of MP mentioning his dislike for the IaW snare is on the LiT commentary. That was 12 years after the album was made. The next time that I know of was the book, and I haven't even seen any quotes MP apparently overreacting. Since Prater was apparently interviewed first, then unless Prater has seen LiT with commentary (which I would highly doubt), then anyone he said in the book about DT/MP was unprovoked by anything MP has said prior. Then again there was a quote in the thread about Prater asking why MP couldn't leave it alone, but unless he was told about the commentary in the interview, then I don't know what he was reacting to. Anyone want to actually use some evidence here rather than lay blame on MP without backing it up?

Offline popol

« Reply #89 on: April 29, 2009, 01:17:33 PM »

The snare sounds fine.

Well, considering that he's the musician behind the drumkit, why would he not complain about anything that doesn't go his way when it comes to the recording of HIS drum performance?

Also, can someone honestly say that the live versions of Learning to Live on LSFNY and UAGM on Score don't sound better than on the cd? It's surprising how good those songs sound when the whole triggered drum cheese factor is gone.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #90 on: April 29, 2009, 01:23:25 PM »
The Learning to Live on Live Scenes sounds worse than the CD for reasons that far outweigh any good caused by not having triggered drums.

And Blob the level to which you're vehemently defending Portnoy is getting a bit ridiculous. You don't need to say "Where's the proof? Where's the proof?" in every post.

Offline Starkweather

« Reply #91 on: April 29, 2009, 01:28:14 PM »
I prefer the triggered snare to the natural drum, actually. My be because I'm used to it, but it just sounds better to my ear.

If Portnoy wanted to have a natural drum so much, he could have just told Prater to fuck off. The band was Prater's boss, not the other way around.

Blob, I'm not getting specifics, and he may have only complained as you described. The point is that Portnoy has a huge ego, which could be a bad or good thing.

And I agree with orcus, you don't need to become so defensive.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #92 on: April 29, 2009, 01:38:45 PM »
The Learning to Live on Live Scenes sounds worse than the CD for reasons that far outweigh any good caused by not having triggered drums.

And Blob the level to which you're vehemently defending Portnoy is getting a bit ridiculous. You don't need to say "Where's the proof? Where's the proof?" in every post.

Vehemently defending Portnoy? :lol
Dude, I'm just asking for some backup for complete opposite sentiment of ZOMG PORTNOY WON"T SHUT UP ABOUT THIS.
Seriously, grow up. I'm not blindly defending Portnoy at all here. If you check, I'm not putting down Prater here either. In fact, I'm probably being the most neutral here.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #93 on: April 29, 2009, 01:40:39 PM »

The snare sounds fine.

Well that's the thing. People use this generalization to assume it's all MP's fault without regard for all the facts. The first time I know of MP mentioning his dislike for the IaW snare is on the LiT commentary. That was 12 years after the album was made. The next time that I know of was the book, and I haven't even seen any quotes MP apparently overreacting. Since Prater was apparently interviewed first, then unless Prater has seen LiT with commentary (which I would highly doubt), then anyone he said in the book about DT/MP was unprovoked by anything MP has said prior. Then again there was a quote in the thread about Prater asking why MP couldn't leave it alone, but unless he was told about the commentary in the interview, then I don't know what he was reacting to. Anyone want to actually use some evidence here rather than lay blame on MP without backing it up?

Issues about whether or not the band can/should benefit from an outside producer's input aside, Blob's post is pretty much dead on.  

The band was Prater's boss, not the other way around.

What???  Not in 1991-1992, they weren't.  :lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #94 on: April 29, 2009, 01:44:01 PM »

Dude, I'm just asking for some backup for complete opposite sentiment of ZOMG PORTNOY WON"T SHUT UP ABOUT THIS.
Seriously, grow up. I'm not blindly defending Portnoy at all here. If you check, I'm not putting down Prater here either. In fact, I'm probably being the most neutral here.

I dunno.

I don't like all this Portnoy bashing either. It seems like there are a select few members who love bashing the guy. But wherever there's Portnoy criticism, there you are questioning it, even if it's calm and fair (although, here I think people are going kind of ape-shit).

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #95 on: April 29, 2009, 01:44:28 PM »
If Portnoy wanted to have a natural drum so much, he could have just told Prater to fuck off. The band was Prater's boss, not the other way around.

I flat out don't think this is true. DT was nothing at the time. The label obviously wanted to cooperate with the band, which is why they let them record stuff like Metropolis and LTL. But the label had the final word (which is why ACOS wasn't on I&W) and Prater had to answer to them.

Well, considering that he's the musician behind the drumkit, why would he not complain about anything that doesn't go his way when it comes to the recording of HIS drum performance?

I agree with this. MP seems to really hate it, so naturally there'd be bad blood with the person responsible.

Also, you have to remember the stuff that was said about Prater busting on KM's keyboard tracks for no good reason. I'm not sure how true that claim is (I haven't read Lifting Shadows, can't judge), but Prater doesn't have a bad reputation just because MP didn't like the triggered snare.

All that said, I do wish DT would work with a producer again. Maybe after working with Paul Northfield enough times they'd let him do it. Awake is a great example of how good producers can elevate material (the sound of the album is really defined by how it was recorded and the mix, which the producers were responsible for). Some of the production decisions on FII sucked, but some of them were very good as well. Art needs outside criticism to be good, which is what a producer is supposed to provide.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #96 on: April 29, 2009, 01:50:23 PM »

I dunno.

I don't like all this Portnoy bashing either. It seems like there are a select few members who love bashing the guy. But wherever there's Portnoy criticism, there you are questioning it, even if it's calm and fair (although, here I think people are going kind of ape-shit).

Well I don't what the problem is with questioning it if it's fair. I'm not even saying MP is right here, I'm just asking for some more info so I can make up my mind based on the facts. As I haven't read the book, it would be unwise to take sides, but at the same time, I think people are exaggerating a bit on the fault of MP here.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #97 on: April 29, 2009, 01:56:52 PM »
I didn't like how he used triggers on the album...
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #98 on: April 29, 2009, 01:58:25 PM »
I think that you're coming off badly in all this questioning for evidence, though. Like, didn't you ask Rumby to go back and find exact quotes from the DT book to prove what he was saying? You're basically telling everyone you're arguing with that their word is worth nothing at face value. I could totally understand if, for the sake of fair discussion, if someone said "MP always overreacts! He's bashed so many people!" if you wanted examples, but when someone says, "In the DT book, MP bashed David Prater a lot when he probably didn't need to", and you suddenly want exact quotes to prove it, it's a little... I don't know... disrespectful? Unreasonable maybe?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #99 on: April 29, 2009, 02:05:40 PM »
I think that you're coming off badly in all this questioning for evidence, though. Like, didn't you ask Rumby to go back and find exact quotes from the DT book to prove what he was saying? You're basically telling everyone you're arguing with that their word is worth nothing at face value. I could totally understand if, for the sake of fair discussion, if someone said "MP always overreacts! He's bashed so many people!" if you wanted examples, but when someone says, "In the DT book, MP bashed David Prater a lot when he probably didn't need to", and you suddenly want exact quotes to prove it, it's a little... I don't know... disrespectful? Unreasonable maybe?

Coming of badly? Is asking for proof from the very source of information people are discussing here unreasonable?
Well I was more interested in MP's comments before the book. You'll have to excuse me for not taking certain people's word when a few of them are notorious for exaggerating the facts when MP is concerned (I won't go into details there), but the main issue I'm addressing is people saying MP hasn't shut up about this and always brings it up without reason. And what I ask is, book aside, had he made any comment regarding Prater? I found one post on his forum about Prater in a thread about Prater, which was about the book which we can count as bringing it up without need (even if it was in an existing thread), and he made a passing comment on LiT that he doesn't like the triggered snare, and doesn't mention Prater's name at all as far as i recall. So that leaves a 13+ year gap of silence, then the book, then one mention to the book.
Since I don't know what MP or Prater said in the book, that really leaves nothing.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #100 on: April 29, 2009, 02:08:27 PM »
The only other place that comes to mind is the liner notes for the I&W demos, and I don't recall specifically what was said there.  But, to your point, Blob, I don't find anything there to be unreasonable either since, by nature, Mike is commenting on how the band originally recorded the songs versus how the final album recordings turned out, and what (or who) in the recording process caused them to be different.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #101 on: April 29, 2009, 02:30:13 PM »

Coming of badly? Is asking for proof from the very source of information people are discussing here unreasonable?
Well I was more interested in MP's comments before the book. You'll have to excuse me for not taking certain people's word when a few of them are notorious for exaggerating the facts when MP is concerned (I won't go into details there), but the main issue I'm addressing is people saying MP hasn't shut up about this and always brings it up without reason. And what I ask is, book aside, had he made any comment regarding Prater? I found one post on his forum about Prater in a thread about Prater, which was about the book which we can count as bringing it up without need (even if it was in an existing thread), and he made a passing comment on LiT that he doesn't like the triggered snare, and doesn't mention Prater's name at all as far as i recall. So that leaves a 13+ year gap of silence, then the book, then one mention to the book.
Since I don't know what MP or Prater said in the book, that really leaves nothing.

When you start asking for proof as specific as exact quotes from a huge book, yes, I think that it does start to look bad because you're saying that certain people's words are shit. If you think that some people have lost the right to be believed, I guess that's understandable, but still, this is an internet forum, not an interrogation.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #102 on: April 29, 2009, 02:34:39 PM »

When you start asking for proof as specific as exact quotes from a huge book, yes, I think that it does start to look bad because you're saying that certain people's words are shit. If you think that some people have lost the right to be believed, I guess that's understandable, but still, this is an internet forum, not an interrogation.

I understand that, but I'm really not asking much. People make a bold claim, I question it, they back it up. This is how discussion works. I'm not interrogating, even some basic paraphrasing of the general gist of what MP said in the book would be nice (and Prater for that matter). I think it starts to look bad if people start accusing me because I ask for some backup to their argument of MP never shutting up about Prater, which is as of yet pretty dubious considering I've seen no mention of MP bad-mouthing Prater other than the book. I know this is only a forum, but still.........

Offline icysk8r

• DTF Resident Magician
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • www.bedeceived.com
« Reply #103 on: April 29, 2009, 02:38:36 PM »

I always liked the snare on I&W...

edit: what's impossible about the part 7:23 - 8:03 on metropolis?

alright, you got me, i did misunderstand.
but, in a way, it is impossible because you can hit the snare that loud, portnoy even said that to my dad himself...
because my dad couldnt play the part on metropolis perfect
and he asked portnoy how to play it
and he said "the snare was triggered, so you cant really play it like the album"

i realise i missunderstood
=D
www.bedeceived.com

ZOMG WHAT'S AT BEDECEIVED.COM?

I DUNNO!  CLICK THE DARNED LINK TO FIND OUT!

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #104 on: April 29, 2009, 02:41:47 PM »
I don't care either way and the whole triggered snare saga has been blown out of proportion.  When I first heard I&W, I had no idea what a triggered snare was.  Now, I wish I never found out!  The remixes on TGH sound ok, but the original versions are still better.
The only two things I generally remember from the book are that MP and DP had some creative differences and MP was a little upset that DP did some things without the band's consent.  That's basically it.  I think some fans overreacted more than MP ever did.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White