Author Topic: Speak to Me  (Read 8129 times)

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: Speak to Me
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2011, 09:44:33 AM »
I had the pleasure of witnessing this song live on the octavarium tour and it is a good one  :tup

Ditto.  :tup
Is there a bootleg or official release with this?

The song in general, or, specifically from the Octavarium tour?

A live version is available on the 1998 fan club cd (and the 5 Years in a LiveTime video/dvd), while the original demo is available on the 1999 fan club cd and the FII Demos cd.  

That's the unplugged version, right?  I mean the Octavarium tour version.
There is no unplugged version of Speak To Me.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2011, 01:45:37 PM »
Isn't that the version on the Five Years in a LIVEtime DVD?  Where they have all the candles and everything?  I know it's not actually "unplugged" but from what I recall, that concert is referred to as the Unplugged concert.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2011, 06:38:10 PM »
Well, the "uplugged" version is exactly the same as the studio version  :lol
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2011, 03:56:48 AM »
Isn't that the version on the Five Years in a LIVEtime DVD?  Where they have all the candles and everything?  I know it's not actually "unplugged" but from what I recall, that concert is referred to as the Unplugged concert.
No, it's not referred to as the Unplugged concert.  It was just a fanclub show, that was the deal with the candles, to make everything more intimate.  They did a few songs unplugged, but most of the show is quite plugged.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2017, 02:26:53 PM »
I think this is probably one of DT's most beautiful songs. I think it needs way more appreciation than it recieves  :D

Here's me hoping it will recieve rotation next tour. Seeing this song played live would make my life complete.

Kickstarting this thread, as I just listened to the FII demo set today, and remembered how much I love "Speak to Me." It is also one of my favorite Dream Theater songs, and I agree about its beauty. It was the first song played at the holiday show in 1998 that I attended at Irving Plaza, and I was so glad I got to hear it.

For those that know DT's setlist history better than me, was it ever in regular rotation outside of those holiday shows?

If not, I really wish DT would consider it. Such a great song.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2017, 02:36:10 PM »
If memory serves, it was played initially only at those few shows, and then was brought back as one of the rotating FII-era choices on the Octavarium (along with Raise The Knife and Peruvian Skies).

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2017, 02:59:08 PM »
If memory serves, it was played initially only at those few shows, and then was brought back as one of the rotating FII-era choices on the Octavarium (along with Raise The Knife and Peruvian Skies).

Wow, so it has been quite a few years now since it has been played live at all, much less with any regularity. Thanks for the info, Hef.  :hefdaddy

Have the band members (present or past) commented extensively about the tune? I'd love to learn what they think of it, generally. I have the Xmas 1998 gig at Irving Plaza that I went to, but it was the lead track, so there wasn't any real commentary about the song...
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2017, 03:15:24 PM »
Always loved the song since I've heard it on the Once in a Livetime video. I would have put it on the album in place of Take Away My Pain and/or Anna Lee.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2017, 03:21:04 PM »
...was brought back as one of the rotating FII-era choices on the Octavarium (along with Raise The Knife and Peruvian Skies).

Wow, I did NOT remember that.  I only remembered Peruvian Skies.  But a quick check of the set lists from back then confirms that you are right.  And not only that, but they played it in S.F. on 3/11/06.  Why I didn't go to that show, I'm not sure.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2017, 05:29:53 PM »
I absolutely love the Once in a Livetime video version. Way better in my opinion than the official bootleg version.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #45 on: March 07, 2017, 11:53:17 AM »
For those that know DT's setlist history better than me, was it ever in regular rotation outside of those holiday shows?
As hef mentioned, it was included as one of the songs to represent FII during the 20th Anniversary tour. But it also was played a number of times throughout the first half of 1998. In fact, the May 18, 1998 official bootleg from Los Angeles includes that song.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #46 on: March 08, 2017, 12:07:28 PM »
I absolutely love the Once in a Livetime video version. Way better in my opinion than the official bootleg version.
Agreed.

Also, while I am SO glad that they performed Raise The Knife for the SCORE show, I wish they had also played Speak To Me.  I know that would have kind of ruined the format, but I'm just sayin'.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #47 on: March 08, 2017, 12:21:47 PM »
At my gig during that tour I got a "proper" FII song, Peruvian Skies, and a "bonus" song, Raise the Knife. Not complaining at all, 'cause the song is wonderful, but I have a little and anyway very minor regret that I didn't get Speak to Me instead.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #48 on: March 08, 2017, 08:16:21 PM »

Agreed.  Same goes for Cover My Eyes, which was great as an acoustic song, but just okay in the electric version (in the demo).

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #49 on: March 09, 2017, 07:37:48 AM »

Agreed.  Same goes for Cover My Eyes, which was great as an acoustic song, but just okay in the electric version (in the demo).
Same

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #50 on: March 09, 2017, 11:29:37 AM »

Same

Joining the bandwagon. The acoustic setting was just perfect for Cover My Eyes.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #51 on: March 09, 2017, 02:29:25 PM »
Same
Joining the bandwagon. The acoustic setting was just perfect for Cover My Eyes.
I'll be of the dissenting viewpoint. While I'm not a huge fan of the demo (something just doesn't sound right - I think the guitars are overpowering in the mix), I can't say I like the acoustic version a lot either. But what I enjoyed were the versions played during the '98 Home for the Holidays shows. It's interesting, because the first time they did it, it was fully acoustic. Second show was a hybrid between acoustic and electric, and the last time was fully electric. This last version (fully electric) has a pretty cool instrumental jam in it where JP incorporated part of Tarantella Napoletana into it and is my favorite version.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.