Author Topic: The King's X Thread  (Read 13255 times)

Offline jsem

The King's X Thread
« on: February 17, 2011, 07:44:56 AM »
I couldn't find one... and I think there ought to be a thread about this band. I'm listening to Faith Hope Love again it's awesome.

:metal

Appriciate!!!!

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
Re: The King's X Thread
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 08:04:02 AM »
FHL is fantastic.  As much as I like King's X, I only own Dogman and FHL.  Dogman is absolutely crushing, though.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 08:09:26 AM »
Get the new DVD/CD, "Live In London".  It's worth it.  Been a big fan since the first CD came out in 1989.  Seen them 6 times with some great bands too.  DT, Porcupine Tree, Dishwalla.....
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 08:11:04 AM »
I think I'll listen to that this very moment.  Thanks for the reminder!  :tup
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Beowulf

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2011, 08:17:54 AM »
I still love "It's Love".  Very Beatles-esque feel to it.  Great tune.
You can lead a horticulture, but you can't make her think.

Offline Durg

• Evil Java Genius & Horder of Open Source Software
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2011, 08:34:57 AM »
Last year I got really into Gretchen Goes to Nebraska.  Particularly, Out of a Silent Planet.

Still, Dogman, Black Flag, and It's Love are a few of my favs.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep just like my grandfather, and not like the screaming passengers in his car!

Online Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2011, 09:48:58 AM »
LOVE King's X. Hardcore fan right here.

All the material through Ear Candy is awesome. After that, it is hit and miss, to my ears. But a KILLER live act with a huge sound.

The new live release is good, but just FYI, the opening song, "Groove Machine" is supposed to have supporting vocals from Ty Tabor and Jerry Gaskill. It loses something without it. I am going to guess the mics were accidentally turned off for that tune, because it is corrected after it.

But otherwise, Live Love in London is pretty darn good. It is really a shame they didn't have the opportunity to do this back in the mid-late 1990s, when they were at their peak.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2011, 10:52:22 AM »
The new live release is good, but just FYI, the opening song, "Groove Machine" is supposed to have supporting vocals from Ty Tabor and Jerry Gaskill. It loses something without it. I am going to guess the mics were accidentally turned off for that tune, because it is corrected after it.

Are you sure about that?  I remember you saying that, and then I looked for it when I watched the DVD, and they aren't even trying to sing.  So it doesn't look to me like a mic malfunction.  (unless they were trying to sing in the VERY beginning and realized there was a mic issue and just stopped trying)  I need to listen to Live All Over The Place later, as I'm not recalling backup vocals on that version either (or even on the bootleg I have from the last tour, for that matter).

EDIT:  Yeah, to further expound, here's a video from the same tour:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZJzrMM_6tU  No backup vocals--no attempt to even do them.  That's consistent with my recollection from when I saw them in SF (and listening to the bootleg from that show).  I don't think they do that song with the backups like they did on the studio anymore, at least not on the XV tour.  Contrast that with an older video from 1999 where they did:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnwzjRA6vJg  (careful with the volume level--this one is a lot louder than the first one I linked, so if you cranked it for that one, turn it back down for this one)  You're right about the backups being missing on the Live in London, but I think you are mistaken about it being a technical difficulty.  For whatever reason, they were performing it with just Doug doing the vocals on that song this last tour. 

In any case, still a great song, and LiL is a great CD/DVD set.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 11:06:21 AM by bösk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2011, 11:31:41 AM »
Weird. Must be a conscious choice then (no, I wasn't sure). Not sure why they are doing that though. The song does NOT sound as powerful and cool without the other vocals in the mix. Bad move on their part and really takes away from an otherwise cool live set.

Another annoyance is when they let the entire crowd sing all of...I think it is Goldilox. I am sure it was cool if you were there, but it is lame as hell watching on video. I didn't buy it for fans singing. I bought it to hear Doug, Ty and Jerry sing. lol
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2011, 11:40:22 AM »
Not sure why they are doing that though. The song does NOT sound as powerful and cool without the other vocals in the mix.

Dunno.  But like I said, I'm pretty sure it's the same way on Live All Over The Place as well, and I went through a phase where I listened to that album a LOT, so I was already used to that sound and it didn't really bother me here.  (in fact, I had to go back and listen to the studio version to remember what it sounded like with the harmonies)

Another annoyance is when they let the entire crowd sing all of...I think it is Goldilox. I am sure it was cool if you were there, but it is lame as hell watching on video. I didn't buy it for fans singing. I bought it to hear Doug, Ty and Jerry sing. lol

Yeah, it was kind of a cool feel-good moment the first time I watched it, but I can't imagine it holding my interest over the long-haul.  But if they were going to do that, I'm glad they picked a song I'm not really all that fond of anyway, so I don't feel like I'm missing out on much.  :lol

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2011, 11:56:21 AM »
King's X rule.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Online SoundscapeMN

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2011, 12:49:36 PM »
well, there is 1
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=13040.0

I know since I recall posting what I post on most forums about King's X and Manic Moonlight specifically. That album is the best thing they've done since parting ways with Sam Taylor.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2011, 01:03:11 PM »
One of my favorite bands. Their first 5 albums are all superb. The new DVD is awesome as well. I really can't wait to hear some news on their next album, because it's been quite some time since they've said anything.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2011, 01:39:09 PM »
Good band.

Offline webpoet73

• DT.net Veteran
  • I am like a ghost...
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2011, 05:32:58 AM »
I totally love King's X... I think that Ear Candy is my favorite disc.  There are so many good ones to choose from :)

Online Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2011, 11:56:30 AM »
One of my favorite bands. Their first 5 albums are all superb. The new DVD is awesome as well. I really can't wait to hear some news on their next album, because it's been quite some time since they've said anything.

Funny, I can't stand that record. I think it is terrible. lol.

I totally love King's X... I think that Ear Candy is my favorite disc.  There are so many good ones to choose from :)

Yep, arguably my favorite KX disc too. But the entire catalog up through that record is amazing. After it, things started to drop off to my ears.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2017, 10:30:27 AM »
I saw King's X for the first time this weekend and was totally blown away!  I looked for a thread on them, but I only found this one from like 6-7 years ago.  I don't understand why this band never got more popular.  They were, and are, amazing!  I only own their greatest hits album, but I'm starting to explore their back catalog now.  Shame on me for not exploring them sooner!

They did this at the show!  And it was one of the highlights for me, lol.  But I can see how it wouldn't translate well on video.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Online SoundscapeMN

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2017, 11:13:24 AM »
they played to 250K at Woodstock in 1994 and however more on MTV and it didn't make much of a difference.

It's kind of a broken record, but some of the best conclusions is their music was/is too diverse for it's own good (or bad).

It's a shame, but I guess I'm happy they never really compromised, sans for I suppose working with Sam Taylor, although many fans like myself feel the Sam Taylor produced albums are clearly their best. But I also love a number of others (Manic Moonlight namely).

Offline DougMasters

« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2017, 12:42:51 PM »
I Absolutely love Kings X. One of my favorites, under celebrated if you ask me.

FHL Has to be my favorite from them, maybe one of my favorite albums ever.

Pinnick's voice is so rare in rock music and so good.

I gotta say I like the earlier tone on the records. I Know they switched gears amid feelings that the albums didn't match the heaviness of their live sound, and usually I'd be all on top of that myself but the recordings right up before Ear Candy were just so unique.

Offline Imaginos

« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2017, 01:20:50 PM »
I love king's x as well. As classic as the first 4 albums are though, I actually like what came after more. Tapehead is one of my favorite albums ever, for a multitude of reasons, and when I saw them live last year, I got to meet them after the show and got my copy of Tapehead signed. They're incredible guys that make incredible music.

Online goo-goo

« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2017, 03:44:14 PM »
+1 on all that's been said about King's X in this thread. Great live band, great bunch of guys. Ty is one of my top 5 all time musicians. Love (and buy) everything he puts out.

Last Jelly Jam album blew my mind. Wasn't expecting it to be that heavy. Last time I saw them he mentioned that his solo album will be most likely a 2cd release. He said "I just keep adding stuff" when I asked him when was it going to be released (it was going to be released the year before, since that was the last time I talked to him as well LOL).

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2017, 03:46:46 PM »
I was lucky enough to see them nine times in concert. First being in 1989
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2017, 03:50:23 PM »
I love king's x as well.

Ya' don't say.

Online goo-goo

« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2017, 04:02:23 PM »
I was lucky enough to see them nine times in concert. First being in 1989

My count is at 4 or 5 right now.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2017, 08:15:06 PM »
I've seen them three times, the most recent of which being in Columbus this year, where I was lucky enough to be leaning against the stage front and center. Had some great interactions with Doug during the show (he posed for my pictures as he was playing), and then he came and sat on the stage next to me after the show and took a picture with me.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2017, 10:39:51 PM »
King's X is just one of those bands that I went through a phase of absolutely adoring everything they put out.   I discovered them just before they released Ear Candy, and was a rabid fan up until Manic Moonlight.   In retrospect, MM was not really a bad album, but my focus and interests just moved elsewhere and I just lost track of them.

I admit I'm extremely ashamed of myself for having never heard BLS, XV or Ogre Tones.  I've heard that they were really strong albums, I just never got around to it. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2017, 01:37:01 AM »
Gretchen goes to Nebraska is still the best album for me. Plus the debut.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2017, 05:18:23 AM »
Dogman and Tape Head are essential, the rest is good too but only great to a varying degree.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2017, 06:20:37 PM »
The first five albums are stellar, the self-titled probably being my favorite. There are still plenty of great songs after that, but they became fewer and farther between. They still put on a hell of a live performance, though, and it makes me sad that they can't play bigger shows.

Online SoundscapeMN

« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2017, 06:59:24 PM »
I admit I'm extremely ashamed of myself for having never heard BLS, XV or Ogre Tones.  I've heard that they were really strong albums, I just never got around to it.

XV was pretty strong. You should check it out.

Many love Ogre Tones, I find it okay, but more spotty.

Offline Imaginos

« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2017, 08:51:10 PM »

XV was pretty strong. You should check it out.

Many love Ogre Tones, I find it okay, but more spotty.

My thoughts exactly, XV is a pretty good album, Ogre Tones is good but it's far from my favorite. Sooner or Later off Ogre Tones is a great song though.

Maybe I'm alone in this, but I always kind of wished they would have continued in the more experimental direction of Bulbous, Manic Moonlight, and to a lesser extent, BLS, rather than going back to the more "classic" style on ogre tones and XV.

Online Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2017, 08:32:27 AM »
I have to admit, everything post-TapeHead really hasn't done it for me in large part. I bought and have everything, as I love the band. But I feel like King's X shifted from this positive, uplifting band, to this complaining, whining band. And I get it. Doug was struggling with his faith, the guys were all going through divorces and other issues, etc. But I felt they really lost what made them so great -- the ability to craft really catchy melodies with a heaviness that still featured beautiful harmonies, and uplifting, or at least positive-like lyrics.

Doug alluded to some of the negativity in interviews over the last four years or so. So, I am hoping when they do sit down and write a new record, they recapture some of the positive vibes they've been missing.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2017, 08:37:56 AM »
I can see what you're saying. I like all their stuff but, as you said, from Tape Head onward it became a bit sketchy. But I've never connected that with negativity (or the absence of positivity) and whining. They were a little bit more experimental and that didn't always work out for me. But maybe what you said played a reason also.

Do any of you know (or believe) that they will record another studio record? It's been awhile.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Online Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2017, 08:50:12 AM »
I can see what you're saying. I like all their stuff but, as you said, from Tape Head onward it became a bit sketchy. But I've never connected that with negativity (or the absence of positivity) and whining. They were a little bit more experimental and that didn't always work out for me. But maybe what you said played a reason also.

Do any of you know (or believe) that they will record another studio record? It's been awhile.

I have my doubts on a new record. I say that because I interviewed Doug eight years ago, and they were thinking about it then, and nothing came of it -- https://breakdownroom.net/kingsx1109.html -- they also didn't play Gretchen in its entirety like he mentioned there. I just don't know if Doug, Ty and Jerry have anything left to say, honestly. And maybe that's the hold-up with a new album. Perhaps they just don't have anything they feel is good enough.

I saw them live...about a year and a half ago. Feb. 2016, I want to say. They put on a great show, sounded great, etc., and were really loose and jovial like they always are. Perhaps just gigging is enough for them at this point in their career. Fingers crossed we get new tunes at some point.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2017, 08:59:37 AM »
I tend to agree but boy do I love "Please Come Home... Mr. Bulbous".