Author Topic: Gold Rush: Alaska  (Read 5977 times)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Gold Rush: Alaska
« on: February 15, 2011, 09:55:24 PM »
Has anybody watched this show? It's gotta be the most retarded thing ever. Essentially, a bunch of hicks from Oregon scratch all their capital together and go to Alaska with their families and equipment they bought, essentially because they heard there's gold in Alaska.
Now, of course nobody knows jack shit about gold mining,  so they're hemorrhaging money left and right. And all they spend their time is squabbling over inane stuff.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
Re: Gold Rush: Alaska
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2011, 09:56:55 PM »
Wait, is it the show that's retarded or just the people or both?

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2011, 09:58:43 PM »
Well, the show itself is just generic American reality documentary. The people are idiots however.

rumborak

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2011, 10:09:26 PM »
Well, the show itself is just generic American reality documentary. so obviously The people are idiots however.

rumborak

I've seen a bit of this, my wife is a sucker for these types of shows. Yes, I am not sure this motley crew would be successful running a lemonade stand.

I took a tour of a gold mine in Colorado a while back, they talked about how finding gold isn't such a big deal. What is a very big deal is getting the gold processed. It just isn't cost-effective. I don't recall all the details of the entire process.   
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 08:23:58 AM »
They're not even at that stage. I watched the episode yesterday, and they had this thing called a "wave table", which is a slanted table that separates the gold from the dirt by rhythmic movement essentially. Well, they're all bozos so they couldn't set it up right, and at the end of the day they all had their old-school pans in their hands and getting the gold out that way.

rumborak

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2011, 08:31:00 AM »
I'm blaming the TV execs on this one.  Some people want fame and I find it hard to believe they not making money for being on a show.  Yes they are dumb for doing it and wanting fame. 

BTW I hate these kinds of show to no end.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2011, 08:33:29 AM »
I loathe this show.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2011, 08:36:06 AM »
I'm blaming the TV execs on this one.  Some people want fame and I find it hard to believe they not making money for being on a show.  Yes they are dumb for doing it and wanting fame.

I would think they probably got some kind of money for being on the show. Which would also explain how a few nearly-broke hicks from Oregon can afford heavy machinery being hauled to Alaska.

rumborak

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2011, 08:38:19 AM »
I ususally enjoy these shows. Ice Road Truckers, IRT Deadliest Roads, Deadliest Catch, American Loggers, but this one just sucks.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2011, 08:44:26 AM »
The thing is, it would be more fun if one had the impression that they have at least a remote chance of succeeding. But, it's such a hare-brained scheme with such shoddy execution, it's not even that interesting to watch. I also have to admit that the old guy was really starting to get on my nerves with his yeehaw accent.

rumborak

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2011, 10:43:09 AM »
They're not even at that stage. I watched the episode yesterday, and they had this thing called a "wave table", which is a slanted table that separates the gold from the dirt by rhythmic movement essentially. Well, they're all bozos so they couldn't set it up right, and at the end of the day they all had their old-school pans in their hands and getting the gold out that way.

rumborak

Yeah I saw part of that one. I find it hilarious how they're so serious about this whole thing yet they know close to nothing about what they're doing. Like when the guy running the table went "Yeah I read through the manual two times so I got a pretty good idea of how it works" and they started chastising him when it wasn't working. I have absolutely no sympathy for those guys and their "well I gave up all my savings to come up here" sob stories since they're such complete idiots. It'd be cool to see some actual miners looking for gold instead of a group of guys who just learned jargon from a book a half hour beforehand spouting it out like they know what it means.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2011, 06:08:36 PM »
Haha, I guess there's a marathon going this week to the season finale. I'm watching the follow-up episode right no, where they got somebody with experience in, who's been pointing out the most brutally basic stuff to them :lol

rumborak

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2011, 12:39:33 PM »
So, I watched the season finale yesterday, where they had to shut down the equipment because of the winter.
Holy Shit, those guys are deluded. They dumped a quarter of a million dollars into this operation,  and at the end they had a small vial full of dirt with some gold glitter in it. The hilarious part is, they just weigh the thing, and multiply it by the current gold price. They never take into account that the stuff need to be purified with mercury and stuff. Once that is all said and done, they would probably get a few hundred bucks for that vial, at best.

rumborak

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2011, 06:09:53 PM »
Season 2 starts tonight.... Some how after still being 220k in debt, they are opening a second mining operation at another location... With twice the equipment. The main guy doing this must be rich as hell already and is just doing this as a dream or something. Last season he went to his sisters house and she just handed him a check for 25k.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2011, 09:18:21 PM »
There must be some kind of psychological reason for watching this show because you can root for absolutely no one on the show. They're all hopeless, incompetent and outstanding at making terrible judgement calls.

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2011, 12:26:22 AM »
 ??? I don't get this show.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2011, 01:29:26 AM »
There must be some kind of psychological reason for watching this show because you can root for absolutely no one on the show. They're all hopeless, incompetent and outstanding at making terrible judgement calls.

That's exactly what it is. I think it's Schadenfreude at its best, you're just waiting for them to fail.

rumborak

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2011, 07:46:49 AM »
So I was finally able to see the episode. Mwahahhahaaa, I love Dakota Fred, that guy is great. He's the only guy with a brain, that's for sure.

rumborak

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2011, 09:10:16 PM »
I read about it. Absolutely great.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2011, 02:31:41 AM »
I stopped watching the show now, after seeing the last episode. It's totally fragmented at this point (three different sites), and the narration is beyond annoying. "If Todd Huffman can't find his car keys in the next 10 minutes, this might be the end of the season for all of them!!"

rumborak

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2011, 06:00:52 AM »
I stopped watching the show now, after seeing the last episode. It's totally fragmented at this point (three different sites), and the narration is beyond annoying. "If Todd Huffman can't find his car keys in the next 10 minutes, this might be the end of the season for all of them!!"

rumborak

I like this new season, it's fun watching the Hoffmans fuck up time and time again. I love Dakota Fred, but I loathe him at the same time.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2011, 05:00:15 PM »
Dunno. I don't mind watching the young kid because he knows to some degree what he's doing, and Dakota Fred is probably amusing to some degree. But the Hoffmans are just idiots, and I get upset watching them. Especially when I have to listen to that hick retard.

rumborak

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2011, 05:12:21 PM »
Dunno. I don't mind watching the young kid because he knows to some degree what he's doing, and Dakota Fred is probably amusing to some degree. But the Hoffmans are just idiots, and I get upset watching them. Especially when I have to listen to that hick retard.

rumborak

I have to agree that the narrator is a complete tool, his commentary is terrible. I like the kid at the big nugget mine, I wish that was my job at the age of 17.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2011, 05:16:45 PM »
That kid is waaaay ahead of his age. The way he talks it sounds he's 30 or something. In a good way, I totally tip my hat at him.
Whereas the Huffmans are those American rah-rah kinda guys who trust in God and the USA to get them through hardship.

rumborak

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2011, 05:26:43 PM »
That kid is waaaay ahead of his age. The way he talks it sounds he's 30 or something. In a good way, I totally tip my hat at him.
Whereas the Huffmans are those American rah-rah kinda guys who trust in God and the USA to get them through hardship.

rumborak

The kid's grandpa is a pretty awesome guy, I liked him way back in season one. I remember saying I'd rather a show staring him than the Hoffmans. You can see where the kid gets his personality.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2011, 06:06:28 PM »
The thing is also, I'm not sure whether the Huffmans are smart enough to realize that, but they're getting of course almost-zero-probability-of-gold claims. If there was a significant chance of gold, the owners would mine it themselves. Owners of claims probably get a lot of those losers with a goldrush stuck in their head, so they lease out the scraps to them in order to finance their own endeavors.

Also, the thing that truly boggles my mind: WTF are the children running around there?

rumborak

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2011, 06:17:28 PM »
I took a tour of a gold mine in Colorado a while back, they talked about how finding gold isn't such a big deal. What is a very big deal is getting the gold processed. It just isn't cost-effective. I don't recall all the details of the entire process.

We vacation in Breckenridge, Colorado every other year or so, and there is a mine there called the Country Boy Mine. It used to be a major mining operation. Now it's a tourist spot. I've spoken a few times to one of the brothers who owns the mine, Dave Tomlinson, and he says there is probably about 80-90 million dollars worth of gold in the mine, but that it would cost about 120 million to mine and process it all. As a result of course, they make their money from tours and people who pay to pan the streams there.
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2011, 06:23:23 PM »
That's another thing I had been wondering. Every time they use the figure of "an ounce of gold is worth X dollars", did they just take that figure from yahoo.com, or is this the price you get for raw gold, with all the grime and impurities in it that need to be processed?

rumborak

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2011, 11:33:18 AM »
My dad is totally addicted to all these new reality shows about people in obscure corners of the world trying to make money. I think he started watching this one to root for the kid, because yeah, the Hoffmanns are beyond brain dead.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2011, 10:39:49 PM »
I caved in and downloaded the latest episode (many boring nights on my trip!), but man, no better than the last one. Huffmans are beyond clueless and get nothing done, and the other two (Parker and Fred) are really just doing their thing and getting the work done.

rumborak

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2011, 11:15:36 PM »
This is your Jersey Shore, isn't it.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2011, 11:17:14 PM »
Is it more coherent than Jersey Shore?

I find JS very entertaining, but can't take in too much at once, due to its rapid pace plot and various B- and C-plots. 

Fucking strains my brain. 

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2011, 11:20:06 PM »
This is your Jersey Shore, isn't it.

I hope not!! Usually my only "vice" is Mythbusters. But, on this trip there's many a lonely hour, so I need stuff I can watch. GRA is slipping into and out of that radius of "watchable".

rumborak

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2011, 11:22:02 PM »
If you want to waste time and be entertained just watch Pawn Stars. It's the most inoffensive, fun time waster out there.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2011, 11:23:18 PM »
What's the premise?