Author Topic: Nowhere in the Bible does it say that Jesus was not a raptor.  (Read 15411 times)

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Nowhere in the Bible does it say that Jesus was not a raptor.
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2011, 02:44:32 PM »
The problem I have when religion gets involved with science, is when "because God exists" becomes an argument.  It's like the filler for what is beyond our own knowledge.  As we find out more through science, the further and further this "because of God" argument has to go into the abyss of what we don't know yet.

This is why I think religion has no place in the scientific community.  It's apples and oranges.  Religion has its place and science has its place.

I personally think there can be some kind of middle.  I tend to think if there is a god, he set up the rules (physics) and let everything go.  But really I feel like physics and science is "god".  I think the rules of the universe govern everything, not some outside being. 
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2011, 02:46:06 PM »
When someone comes along and says believing in God is as ridiculous as believing in the Flying Spaghetti Monster, that's both hostile (whether you admit it or not) and provokes the other side to hostility, and nobody gets anywhere.

I agree with you that it is somewhat hostile. Where I disagree is that it doesn't get the discussion anywhere. I honestly think a lot of Christians have a really hard time imagining that there are people who find their beliefs outlandish or even ludicrous. I think the FSM schtick made the point that to a lot of people, there is no difference between the Christian god and the FSM in terms of credibility. Once you're not emotionally invested in the Christian god, it really does sound the same.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Ħ

« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2011, 02:52:58 PM »
I think the FSM schtick made the point that to a lot of people, there is no difference between the Christian god and the FSM in terms of credibility. Once you're not emotionally invested in the Christian god, it really does sound the same.
That's not true.  The Christian god has more going for him than the FSM.  You can't prove that the Christian god was invented just as well as you can prove that the FSM was invented.  They've got different levels of credibility.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline jsem

« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2011, 02:55:37 PM »
The argument is easily made as spaghetti wasn't invented til about 1300 years ago. But then again, an apologist would say that FSM was the reason spaghetti was created in the first place..

I get the point.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2011, 03:13:00 PM »
Spaghetti was invented in the honor of the FSM.  Don't disrespect aerial pasta.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2011, 03:21:10 PM »
I think the FSM schtick made the point that to a lot of people, there is no difference between the Christian god and the FSM in terms of credibility. Once you're not emotionally invested in the Christian god, it really does sound the same.
That's not true.  The Christian god has more going for him than the FSM.  You can't prove that the Christian god was invented just as well as you can prove that the FSM was invented.  They've got different levels of credibility.

What exactly makes the christian god existing more credible than the FSM existing?
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline jsem

« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2011, 03:29:01 PM »
I think this thread should be merged with the "offended" thread. They belong together.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2011, 03:30:22 PM »

What exactly makes the christian god existing more credible than the FSM existing?
We can historically prove beyond any measure of doubt that the FSM was invented.  You can't prove to the same degree of certainty that the Christian god was made up.  So the Christian god is more credible.

In other words, if you somehow narrowed the truth down to these two possibilities, and you had to pick one, you would pick the Christian god (I hope).
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2011, 03:31:53 PM »

We can historically prove beyond any measure of doubt that the FSM was invented.  You can't prove to the same degree of certainty that the Christian god was made up.  So the Christian god is more credible.

In other words, if you somehow narrowed the truth down to these two possibilities, and you had to pick one, you would pick the Christian god (I hope).

That isnt what I asked.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline jsem

« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2011, 03:34:19 PM »
There is still no more evidence for the christian God than for FSM. And vice versa.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #45 on: February 15, 2011, 03:38:16 PM »

The FSM wasn't invented. It was revealed to Henderson. And more, we actually know Henderson, so it makes FSM more credible. No one knows who wrote Genesis, and many Christian writings have been shown to be of false authorship. Very dubious.

rumborak

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #46 on: February 16, 2011, 05:15:06 AM »
I'm with rumby.  The FSM was a brilliant satire on why ID shouldn't be taught in science classes.  But for an average atheist to just use the FSM as an attack on religious people out of context is hostile, and stupid.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline jsem

« Reply #47 on: February 16, 2011, 10:41:53 AM »
I'm with rumby.  The FSM was a brilliant satire on why ID shouldn't be taught in science classes.  But for an average atheist to just use the FSM as an attack on religious people out of context is hostile, and stupid.
I don't think we needa have the ID discussion here. I'm pretty sure there's no one here that's in favor if teaching ID in science classes.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #48 on: February 16, 2011, 10:50:40 AM »
I wouldn't call it "brilliant."  Six-year-olds can come up with that stuff.

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #49 on: February 16, 2011, 11:04:08 AM »
I wouldn't call it "brilliant."  Six-year-olds can come up with that stuff.

Six year olds can come up with satires on why Intelligent Design shouldnt be taught in science class?

I was unaware 1st graders were so smart.  :\

« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 11:13:07 AM by eric42434224 »
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #50 on: February 16, 2011, 11:15:27 AM »
I don't know.  When I was in Kindergarten I conceived a brilliant satire of the status of race relations between the overall WASP population in my town and the influx of East Asian immigrants by colouring every person I drew with a neutral cream coloured pencil crayon.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #51 on: February 16, 2011, 11:15:58 AM »
I wouldn't call it "brilliant."  Six-year-olds can come up with that stuff.

You sound agitated.

rumborak

Offline Ħ

« Reply #52 on: February 16, 2011, 11:19:25 AM »
No I'm serious.  I would do that all the time.  Someone would say something about God, or ask me what I believe, and I'd say "Oh I believe in Zeus" or "I believe in Din, Nayru, and Farore, and you can't prove me wrong so neener neener neener."  Same thing.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #53 on: February 16, 2011, 11:22:49 AM »
I think you're totally missing the point of FSM.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #54 on: February 16, 2011, 11:24:56 AM »
Am I?  The point of the FSM is to mock creationism/ID.  A subpoint is to mock the teaching of creationism/ID in schools.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #55 on: February 16, 2011, 11:37:43 AM »
So what? I mean, I would think you know that in this day and age, believing in the Christian deity is (rightly so) seeing a lot of scrutiny.

rumborak

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #56 on: February 16, 2011, 11:43:01 AM »
No, I think the point is that scrutiny and mocking are not the same thing.  Scrutiny should be welcome.  Mocking is not, and shows not only a lack of maturity, but also undercuts the credibility of the person making the argument.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #57 on: February 16, 2011, 11:43:45 AM »
Am I?  The point of the FSM is to mock creationism/ID.  A subpoint is to mock the teaching of creationism/ID in schools.

Yes you are missing the point.

It is a satirical protest with a very serious purpose.  Mocking is to hold up to scorn or contempt, or to ridicule.  He wasnt commenting directly on ID, but on school cirriculum.  If you are not emotionally vested in ID, you wont see it as mocking.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 11:56:15 AM by eric42434224 »
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #58 on: February 16, 2011, 11:51:48 AM »
No, I think the point is that scrutiny and mocking are not the same thing.  Scrutiny should be welcome.  Mocking is not, and shows not only a lack of maturity, but also undercuts the credibility of the person making the argument.

Or it shows just how ridiculous the original premise is. Especially when someone who is offended does a comparison and it finally clicks. It is the same mockery people receive at the hands of those who believe, if not less harsh. The FSM points how ludicrous the christian faith is and the christian faith condemns non-believers, sounds fair to me. 

Offline William Wallace

« Reply #59 on: February 16, 2011, 12:06:20 PM »
This discussion is prompting me to ask: why do atheists and other non-believers give themselves self-righteous titles like "bright," "freethinkers" ect? 

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #60 on: February 16, 2011, 12:20:18 PM »

Or it shows just how ridiculous the original premise is. Especially when someone who is offended does a comparison and it finally clicks. It is the same mockery people receive at the hands of those who believe, if not less harsh. The FSM points how ludicrous the christian faith is and the christian faith condemns non-believers, sounds fair to me. 

From my understanding of the subject, it doesnt show how ridiculous any premise is....not ID...not the christian god.  It does not point out how ludicrous any faith is......it merely points out why ID should not be taught in science class in a satirical way.  Reading anymore into it just shows ones own emotional bias.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #61 on: February 16, 2011, 12:22:21 PM »
This discussion is prompting me to ask: why do atheists and other non-believers give themselves self-righteous titles like "bright," "freethinkers" ect? 

The same reason believers give themselves self-righteous titles like "saved", "chosen", and "blessed" perhaps?
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #62 on: February 16, 2011, 12:45:48 PM »

I think it goes back to what I posted before:

I think people too easily dismiss those that don't agree with them as having some sort of fundamental problem (i.e. stupidity), which imo is a vast oversimplification.

EDIT: The latter sentence applies to non-theists as well.

It's easier to think of oneself in any given argument as superior in some sense, to explain the gulf in opinion between them and an opposing party.  It's the same thinking that manifests itself in "skeptics" or "truthers" or people who name political magazines Reason.  :P
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline William Wallace

« Reply #63 on: February 16, 2011, 12:46:51 PM »

The same reason believers give themselves self-righteous titles like "saved", "chosen", and "blessed" perhaps?
I don't think it's the same. Smarmy douche-baggery isn't built in to religious vocabulary the same way. Everybody can be saved, so when a Christian says they are it's not a matter of self-righteousness. But when a atheist calls himself a freethinker, the point clearly is to convey that believing in God requires a lack of critical thinking.

Offline William Wallace

« Reply #64 on: February 16, 2011, 12:50:48 PM »

I think it goes back to what I posted before:

I think people too easily dismiss those that don't agree with them as having some sort of fundamental problem (i.e. stupidity), which imo is a vast oversimplification.

EDIT: The latter sentence applies to non-theists as well.

It's easier to think of oneself in any given argument as superior in some sense, to explain the gulf in opinion between them and an opposing party.  It's the same thinking that manifests itself in "skeptics" or "truthers" or people who name political magazines Reason.  :P
:lol I'd read it if it was called "pudding pop magazine." But point taken. Thanks.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #65 on: February 16, 2011, 12:51:49 PM »

I don't think it's the same. Smarmy douche-baggery isn't built in to religious vocabulary the same way. Everybody can be saved, so when a Christian says they are it's not a matter of self-righteousness. But when a atheist calls himself a freethinker, the point clearly is to convey that believing in God requires a lack of critical thinking.

I agree that with your assessment on those specific words, but many religious people call themselves "enlightened" or "open-minded" or some other variation.  I think it's something that's not specific to any one group, but common amongst any group of people who are passionate about a subject.

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #66 on: February 16, 2011, 12:56:18 PM »

Smarmy douch-baggery is built into religious and non-religious vocablary equally.

Bright / Enlightened
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #67 on: February 16, 2011, 12:59:02 PM »
But when you bring the term free-thinker into any sort of debate, it heavily implies that you believe a certain way because you are a free-thinker, and that those who do not agree with you do so because they are not.  It's a term everyone would like to claim for themselves because it carries an intellectual esteem with it.  No-one wants to think that they arrived at their own belief by any other way than an intelligent, rational, thought-out process.

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #68 on: February 16, 2011, 01:20:55 PM »
But when you bring the term free-thinker into any sort of debate, it heavily implies that you believe a certain way because you are a free-thinker, and that those who do not agree with you do so because they are not.  It's a term everyone would like to claim for themselves because it carries an intellectual esteem with it.  No-one wants to think that they arrived at their own belief by any other way than an intelligent, rational, thought-out process.

But when you bring the term Enlightened into any sort of debate, it heavily implies that you believe a certain way because you are enlightened, and that those who do not agree with you do so because they are not.  It's a term everyone would like to claim for themselves because it carries an spiritual esteem with it.  No-one wants to think that they arrived at their own belief by any other way than a divinely inspired revelation.

I find it baffling that any rational person seriously thinks that one side describes themselves in any more a concieted way than the other.  You see this type of language all the time from all types of people...not just religious/non-religious.  It is only offensive or annoying if you are emotionally invested in one side.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #69 on: February 16, 2011, 01:24:47 PM »
But when you bring the term free-thinker into any sort of debate, it heavily implies that you believe a certain way because you are a free-thinker, and that those who do not agree with you do so because they are not.  It's a term everyone would like to claim for themselves because it carries an intellectual esteem with it.  No-one wants to think that they arrived at their own belief by any other way than an intelligent, rational, thought-out process.

But when you bring the term Enlightened into any sort of debate, it heavily implies that you believe a certain way because you are enlightened, and that those who do not agree with you do so because they are not.  It's a term everyone would like to claim for themselves because it carries an spiritual esteem with it.  No-one wants to think that they arrived at their own belief by any other way than a divinely inspired revelation.

I'm not disagreeing with you.  I'm just saying that for one to have a constructive debate, one can't go around invoking terms like "free-thinker", because the implications will draw an immediate end to any sort of positive discourse.  Of course one would think the label for themselves was earned, and the other person of course would bristle at the implication that they are not.