Author Topic: The official Redemption thread v. I Am the Storm - March 17th 2023  (Read 142143 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The official Redemption thread
« Reply #700 on: September 09, 2017, 06:22:51 PM »
The Art Of Loss really crept up on me. It hit me last summer while driving through Wyoming.

I am not into Evergrey in anyway, mostly because the vocals just don't do it for me. I'll check out any new Redemption music, and I hope to be pleasantly surprised.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #701 on: September 10, 2017, 05:27:49 AM »
Wow, what the hell, now this is interesting.

I love Tom, he's one of my favourite metal singers, he has one of the most distinctive voices but I really loved Ray in this band too.  The clips sound like Redemption with Tom so I'm sure it will be good.  Good to see Poland and Mularoni back on board, but hopefully Tom does some leads too, he's a phenominal guitarist.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #702 on: September 10, 2017, 02:20:54 PM »
As long as the man who wrote Sapphire, Memory, At Day's end and several is still steering the ship, Redemption will be just fine.

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #703 on: September 10, 2017, 02:27:28 PM »
As long as the man who wrote Sapphire, Memory, At Day's end and several is still steering the ship, Redemption will be just fine.

That's pretty much how I feel as well.  I even stopped listening to the new Threshold album I got the other day to listen to some old Redemption favorites, to "grieve" the change.  Sapphire and At Day's End are both favorites of mine.  Next on my agenda is to listen to Evergrey's "Hymns for the Broken" album.  It's the only Evergrey album I have, but I really like it.  I know I'll like the new Redemption just fine.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #704 on: September 10, 2017, 07:43:03 PM »
Not feeling Tom singing Redemption songs.  Odd choice.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #705 on: September 10, 2017, 08:46:27 PM »

Give him a chance.  Wait until we hear more.  Those samples as they said were rough mixes so it's tough to judge based on those.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #706 on: September 10, 2017, 08:57:55 PM »

Give him a chance.  Wait until we hear more.  Those samples as they said were rough mixes so it's tough to judge based on those.

didn't even listen to any samples, just going off of my familiarity of Toms voice in Evergrey.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #707 on: September 10, 2017, 09:03:32 PM »

Where can I  find the samples with Tom singing?

While I'll wait for the album to make a final judgement, Tom's voice is always "dramatic" sounding in Evergrey and that's the way Nick tends to write for Redemption. I read a review of a Redemption album several years ago and one of the things that struck out was that the reviewer described it as "dramatic prog metal", which I think that description fits Redemption's music pretty acurate.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #708 on: September 10, 2017, 09:11:00 PM »

Where can I  find the samples with Tom singing?

While I'll wait for the album to make a final judgement, Tom's voice is always "dramatic" sounding in Evergrey and that's the way Nick tends to write for Redemption. I read a review of a Redemption album several years ago and one of the things that struck out was that the reviewer described it as "dramatic prog metal", which I think that description fits Redemption's music pretty acurate.

There's a link on the page before with a progpower lineup video which has some samples of roughly mixed new stuff.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #709 on: September 11, 2017, 07:53:15 AM »
Any word on why Ray left? I didn't love Art of Loss so it will be interesting to hear where they go from here.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #710 on: September 11, 2017, 08:24:57 AM »
Any word on why Ray left? I didn't love Art of Loss so it will be interesting to hear where they go from here.

Maybe he's going to be busy with Fates?  Nick mentioned in that ProgPower video that he was looking for more emotion from his singer as well, so it's possible that it was more of a mutual parting of ways.

Additional comments from Nick Van Dyk:

https://pmx2.krose.org/forum?action=view&forum_id=1&message_id=546624

Hello folks. The secret is out now. It's been hard sitting on this for the past few months, particularly once we finished recording vocals a few weeks ago, so it's good to be able to speak about it now.

On that note, re: Nosferatwo's second comment, we waited specifically for Progpower because the band has a long history with the festival and we thought this was a nice way to "give back" and provide a "scoop" to those in attendance. I will also cop to enjoying being in the crowd for the spontaneous reaction to the reveal, which was fantastic. I believe Tom enjoyed it as well. After all, he's following a pretty remarkable vocalist in Ray and it was good to hear first-hand that the audience was first saddened by the news and then elated by it.

There will, of course, be a proper press release which has been worked out in advance and should drop tomorrow. I don't believe this choreography will diminish the impact of the announcement. Those who are in the Progpower circle (including by association this website, among others, I presume) got the news first; those who learn of this type of thing through more traditional metal news sites will learn about it 48 hours later, give or take.

Re: hiring "old tired vocalists" this was a decision that was well considered over several months and numerous options were assessed, including hiring a " no name" vocalist. The demands of our music are somewhat particular and the likelihood of finding a "no name" vocalist capable of doing what we need to do at a high level is exceedingly rare. Tom brings awareness and potential new fans to the group. And his voice is anything but tired.

Which segues to the next point, addressing Nos' first concern. If you like our previous work as I believe you do (at least some of it), there will be ample opportunity to hear what we sound like with Tom. We sound less like Evergrey with Tom than we sounded like Fates Warning with Ray. Tom brought some great ideas to the mix and his creativity is definitely reflected in the music, but the melodies are different from Evergrey, and his singing is in a slightly different style as a result.

I trust Chris Poland will not mind if I share with you the contents of a text he sent me while tracking his solos:

"This music is amazing and heart breaking at times. The songs are incredible as is the playing...You know I loved Ray but this new vocalist has captured the light and dark in the lyrics and is killer. At one point he rivals Peter Gabriel's "So" period. He is really something special."

At any rate, you may find you like what you hear more than you expect to. Or not.

I've been sitting with the music long enough to dislike most of it at this point. This process nearly always happens (it did not with the last record, for whatever reason, but that's the only one). Even in the mix of that, though, I know there are six very strong songs here, two of which are as good as anything I've ever written.

I'm excited for you all to hear it.

Thanks, as always, for your interest!
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 09:00:14 AM by Grappler »

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #711 on: September 11, 2017, 09:36:54 AM »
I am not a fan of the singer from Evergrey. So, this news has me bummed. However, it isn't entirely unexpected.

Ray Alder got married, moved to Spain, and has a family. And he's probably at a point where he only really wants to concentrate on one band. Remember, he joined Redemption when Fates really wasn't heavily active. Now that Fates IS heavily active again, and Ray has taken up writing 90 percent of the lyrics on Fates material, he's probably just too busy.

Besides, I always had a little bit of a question mark around that whole thing. When you're in two prog metal bands with the same fan base (generally) and one is sorta "competing" (not really, but yes in the sense that they both are in the same genre) with the other, that doesn't really seem right to either band.

I think this is the right decision for both bands, but I'm not sold on Redemption's choice, despite what Nick and Chris think. I will, of course, give it a shot. But I never cared for Tom's timbre. I am sure I am in the minority on that one. And I'm happy for fellow Redemption fans that like the move. I hope it grows on me. Looking forward to hearing a new record.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #712 on: September 11, 2017, 09:42:03 AM »
I don't know that I'd consider Fates heavily active.  Sure they're writing and touring again but these aren't 6 month stints of tours.  They're a month and a half at best.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #713 on: September 11, 2017, 10:41:46 AM »
Regardless of singer, I hope that they freshen up the song structures a bit. The Art of Loss was mostly boring to me because it didn't really bring anything new to the table.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #714 on: September 11, 2017, 10:44:10 AM »
Wow. I'm a big Ray fan, so this is a big shock to me. I'll Always buy cd's with his voice on it. I love the band, however and will definetely check it out when it comes out.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #715 on: September 11, 2017, 08:35:18 PM »
I do like Tom's voice, but with Redemption it'll take some getting used to. Sad that Ray left though. His singing added so much. I'm not a Fate's Warning fan, so for me Ray and Nick were a perfect combination. I have no doubt that Tom will bring it though.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #716 on: September 11, 2017, 11:38:25 PM »
Great news, can't wait to hear how Tom will fit into Redemption's music and even more so if they do a few live gigs and he has to sing old stuff.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #717 on: September 12, 2017, 12:04:18 AM »
That was a great read from Nick. Im really looking forward to this and have thought for a long time now that Tom simply has one of the best, most powerful and emotional voices Ive ever heard. Im sure this will be great.  Chris' comment is wonderful too.

I hope Nick pops in here like he has done in the past. He has been gracious with the few times he has commented and presented himself in here.

Nick, if you do pop in, is it all you, Chris and Simone?  Any leads for Tom, or was he too busy doing the vox?

I think those that don't dig Tom should have hope, Im sure this will be great.

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #718 on: September 12, 2017, 07:30:15 AM »
Definitely interested in hearing how this plays out on the new album! I've never really listened to Evergrey before, but I do like Tom's voice in the songs I'm listening to from that band. I'm not entirely sure what I'm thinking about him on the new Redemption samples though. Then again, as they point out in the video, the recordings aren't mixed and mastered yet so that could very well be a factor.

At the very least, Tom's clearly gifted and I want nothing less than to see Redemption succeed. They're a wonderful band and I'm more than willing to give this new lineup a chance.

That said, it does suck a bit that Ray's out.

I completely get why he left, as Samsara pointed out, Ray's life has been undergoing a pretty massive change over the past two years and Fates Warning has been kicking up the activity a lot lately. He is probably my favorite singer in the metal scene- as someone here once put it, Ray is like the Frank Sinatra of Prog Metal-, so it is a bit disheartening that he's no longer with Redemption. However we still have those five albums with Ray on vocals to always go back and listen to.

Here's to the future, for everyone at Redemption! :metal
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #719 on: September 12, 2017, 09:43:40 AM »
Just noticed that Nick offered some thoughts on the ProgPower USA reaction to Tom being announced as vocalist in the Blabbermouth comments...

Mark Colgan
"The sample we heard at ProgPowerUSA leads me to believe that this won't be well received. I absolutely love Tom & Evergrey but Redemption will have to change their style a bit to fit Toms vocals it seems"

Nick Van Dyk
"I would say we must recall the response very differenty...except that I have a video of the crowd response to our clip, so...I dunno. Maybe the boos are there and it's just hard to hear them beneath the deafening applause."

Robert M Lisanti
"Evergrey blows away Redemption anyway ;)"

Nick Van Dyk
"That may well be the case, but that's different than saying Tom won't be well-received in Redemption. :)"
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #720 on: September 12, 2017, 11:22:46 AM »
Well, I guess I need to check out Evergrey now so I can get a feel for how this guy sings.  Recommendations?  Where do I start?

"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline DT89

« Reply #721 on: September 12, 2017, 11:28:41 AM »
In Search of Truth and The Inner Circle.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #722 on: September 12, 2017, 12:02:25 PM »
Both good and popular suggestions, and I would put Recreation Day right up there as well. Also, for a newer idea, Hymns For the Broken was top 3 in 2014 for me.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #723 on: September 12, 2017, 12:08:47 PM »
Evergrey's latest two albums, Hymns for the Broken and The Storm Within, are both perfect albums for me from start to finish.

On a separate note, I realized last night that I was fortunate enough to see Ray's final show with Redemption, which was at ProgPower USA in 2012.  It was my first and only Redemption concert.  They haven't performed live since then.  I also got to attend an intimate performance the next morning for fans that funded the PPUSA show being filmed for a DVD.  It was definitely one of the most memorable music-related moments of my life.  I'm listening back to all the old Redemption discs now featuring Ray.  So many moments of pure magic, man.  Pure motherfucking magic. 
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 12:40:53 PM by Mebert78 »
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Lethean

« Reply #724 on: September 12, 2017, 12:33:54 PM »
I think Recreation Day is a great starting point for them, but also think the Inner Circle and the latest 2 would be good as well.  In Search of Truth is a great album, but for some reason I think it would be better to start with one of the others.

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #725 on: September 12, 2017, 12:49:53 PM »
It does sound like Redemption still. I want to hear him do the softer stuff. That's where Ray shined.

Where is that progpower thread though? Thats a great lineup and I may go to this one.

Here's him singing over a piano version of an Evergrey song. He sounds pretty solid imo.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline emtee

« Reply #726 on: September 12, 2017, 01:04:43 PM »
Evergrey is a fine band and all the players perform well but the albums have no staying power for me. Not sure why but it is what it
is. On the other hand I can pull out a Redemption album and it still sounds as good as the day I bought it. Ray was a great fit for the
band and he will be missed.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #727 on: September 13, 2017, 05:44:11 AM »
Well, I guess I need to check out Evergrey now so I can get a feel for how this guy sings.  Recommendations?  Where do I start?

Recreation Day is by far the best place to start, no contest.  Then, In Search of Truth and Hymns For the Broken.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #728 on: September 13, 2017, 06:20:43 AM »

Albums - The Inner Circle and In Search For Truth should show you a good benchmark of what the guy does I think, although I personally got into the band through Recreation Day which is still a fantastic album.
Songs - King Of Errors, The Masterplan, Ambassador, The Essence of Conviction, Trilogy Of The Damned, Faith Restored

And of course, him at Ayreon - https://youtu.be/tKmHp_QOi8I?t=123

When I suggested them to a friend of mine years ago, she came back to me after listening to Recreation Day and Inner Circle and said "They are like a heavier, darker Fates Warning in a way" and while musically they don't sound like FW I could see where she was coming from.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 06:39:28 AM by abydos »

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #729 on: September 13, 2017, 07:53:44 AM »

Recreation Day is by far the best place to start, no contest.  Then, In Search of Truth and Hymns For the Broken.

On this I agree.  Hymns for the Broken was also Top 3 on my list for 2014 (#3 to be precise).
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #730 on: September 13, 2017, 04:57:39 PM »

On this I agree.  Hymns for the Broken was also Top 3 on my list for 2014 (#3 to be precise).

I can't remember exactly, but I'm pretty sure it was my fav album of the year.

Offline Nachtmerrie

« Reply #731 on: September 14, 2017, 01:13:13 PM »
I only discoverd Redemption a few weeks ago because of DTF. Can't believe I missed this band all those years.

Must be the 3rd band (after DT & Haken) that grabbed me instantly.

Thanks DTF :hefdaddy

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #732 on: September 14, 2017, 01:39:10 PM »
I only discoverd Redemption a few weeks ago because of DTF. Can't believe I missed this band all those years.

Enjoy, dude!  There are many gems scattered through their discography.  You have lots of fun discoveries ahead of you! 

I was thinking last night what are my top five Redemption songs featuring Ray Alder.  My initial ranking is below.  I'm a huge lyrics guy, which played a role in my choices.

1) Love Kills us All / Life in One Day
2) Memory
3) Sapphire
4) Perfect
5) The Center of the Fire

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #733 on: September 14, 2017, 09:38:04 PM »

That's cool that we can spread the word for amazing bands like this.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni