Author Topic: The official Redemption thread v. I Am the Storm - March 17th 2023  (Read 142247 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: The official Redemption thread
« Reply #665 on: June 15, 2016, 01:39:45 PM »
The Art of Loss progress report:  The album is REALLY started to grow on me.  I am glad my opinion of it is really turning around from where it was.  I mean, as a complicated progressive metal album, I knew there were going to be things that it would take time to digest and appreciate.  But already being a fan of the band and having a history of their last two albums being among some of my favorite music of all time, I was not expecting my initial reaction to be so lukewarm.  There is definitely a lot to appreciate here, and I am liking it more and more. 

Favorites thus far are:  Slouching, Damaged, Thirty Silver, and The Center of the Fire. 

Nick, if you happen to peruse the thread and have time, I would love to know the background to where some of the song ideas and overall album theme came from, especially the theme of betrayal and loss.  I did a bit of poking around on the Internet to see if you had commented anywhere, but I did not see anything.  (although this interview about the songwriting process in general, the guest musicians, etc. is awesome:  https://www.metalwani.com/2016/03/interview-redemptions-nick-van-dyk-on-the-art-of-loss.html )
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #666 on: June 15, 2016, 02:10:22 PM »
Glad to see it's growing on you, bosk!  Thanks for sharing that interview too.  Lots of good insight.

Regarding song ideas, my early research of the lyrics shortly after the album's release revealed that "Slouching Toward Bethlehem" was inspired by, or based on, W.B. Yeats' 1919 poem, "The Second Coming."  You can see some elements from the poem in the song lyrics: https://www.potw.org/archive/potw351.html

I also discovered that "The Center of the Fire" was inspired by, or based on, a 1999 poem titled "The Invitation" by a woman named Oriah Mountain Dreamer.  That poem can be viewed here: https://www.davidpbrown.co.uk/poetry/oriah-mountain-dreamer.html
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 07:00:55 PM by Mebert78 »
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #667 on: June 15, 2016, 06:48:31 PM »
Lately I can't stop listening to The Fullness Of Time.  Such a great album!!!  In particular, the last track "Transcendence" I have been particularly addicted to.  Add "Parker's Eyes" and "Scarred" to round out my top three for that album.

I've always been impressed by the sound of this album.  The sound/mix is really good, considering it was their second release and don't have "big band dollars" for production.

Redemption for me is so perfect - I love Nick's songwriting and especially his lyrics.  I love Ray's voice, but it is SOOO suited for Redemption.  Fate's Warning is hit and miss for me, I guess I prefer the songwriting of Redemption just that much more.

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #668 on: June 16, 2016, 11:30:51 AM »
Love the new cd, but the epic still has not quite clicked for me.  My top two cd's by redemption are Origins of Ruin and Snowfall on Judgement Day.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #669 on: June 27, 2016, 06:32:50 PM »
Listening now, trying to give it some more attention. While I'm not in love with Thirty Silver, that solo section is  :metal
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #670 on: June 27, 2016, 06:46:46 PM »
Listening now, trying to give it some more attention. While I'm not in love with Thirty Silver, that solo section is  :metal
First person I've heard say that so far. That's the song that immediately clicked the most with me.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #671 on: June 27, 2016, 06:51:54 PM »
Yeah, I've seen Thirty Sliver listed as a fave quite a bit. For me, the two most immediate tracks are Hope Dies Last and That Golden Light.

I find the opening guitar in the intro to The Center Of The Fire very Schenker-ish. Which is a good thing!!!

And Damaged is awesome!
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 07:35:45 PM by TAC »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #672 on: June 29, 2016, 06:16:55 AM »
The epic is incredible.  A grower for sure. Gets better with each listen.  It might topple Memory from the #2 spot on my Redemption song ranking.

Slouching is my second favorite so far. Such a cool concept.... one of the smoothest intros I've ever heard, and that instrumental section around the 4:30 mark is nothing short of ferocious.

This beast is already my 2nd favorite Redemption album. An awesome return to form, and for me, the far and away better than the previous two efforts.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #673 on: June 29, 2016, 02:27:48 PM »
Slouching is my second favorite so far. Such a cool concept.... one of the smoothest intros I've ever heard, and that instrumental section around the 4:30 mark is nothing short of ferocious.

One of my fav parts of the whole album, Mularoni is a freaking beast!
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #674 on: September 03, 2016, 02:01:31 AM »
We're down to the Top 5 in the Redemption survivor, so if you want to have your voice heard in the selection process, then head over to the Polls and Survivors forums and make sure to cast your vote there!
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #675 on: September 12, 2016, 03:21:51 AM »
Final round of the Redemption survivor is live now! If you haven't already, head over to the Polls & Survivors forum to have a part in crowning DTF's favourite Redemption song!

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #676 on: September 14, 2016, 06:09:13 AM »
Triple post, yay! The Redemption survivor is now done, and Memory won! Good choice, everyone. You can click the link in my sig for all the results from every album, the consolations and the finals.

Thanks once again for voting in the survivor, everyone. 'Twas fun.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #677 on: September 14, 2016, 06:11:12 AM »
Thanks for running it so well Scorpion.

Offline krands85

« Reply #678 on: October 06, 2016, 06:11:23 PM »
Still loving the new album - up there with the debut as my favourite by the band.  :metal :coolio
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #679 on: October 07, 2016, 05:27:22 AM »
Still loving the new album - up there with the debut as my favourite by the band:metal :coolio

Wow, okay.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #680 on: October 07, 2016, 05:30:57 AM »
Still loving the new album - up there with the debut as my favourite by the band.  :metal :coolio

Love seeing love for the debut album  :metal

Offline krands85

« Reply #681 on: October 07, 2016, 10:06:34 AM »

Still loving the new album - up there with the debut as my favourite by the band:metal :coolio

Wow, okay.
Still loving the new album - up there with the debut as my favourite by the band.

Love seeing love for the debut album
:facepalm: :facepalm: No idea why I wrote the debut there, I actually meant The Fullness of Time  :lol Not sure how I could mix them up when they have different singers  :blush I do like the debut as well though, especially Something Wicked  :metal
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #682 on: October 07, 2016, 10:14:52 AM »
One of my Redemption friends recently sent me a copy of a rare import of The Fullness of Time that included the band performing a cover of Faith No More's "The Real Thing."  I never knew about it, but I love FNM and that's my favorite FNM song.  It was pretty sweet to hear!
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #683 on: July 09, 2017, 08:34:32 PM »
Hoping this is legit Redemption news, on Redemption's facebook page they reposted Chris Quirarte's (drummer) post of "Day two of recording drums for our upcoming record!"

If so, wasn't expecting this so soon!  Hopefully this is true and we get more info soon!

Edit: appears to be legit, scrolled further down on Redemptions facebook page and found a reply to someone from Redemption saying "New music written...rehearsals for recording underway!"

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #684 on: July 09, 2017, 10:17:55 PM »
Hoping this is legit Redemption news, on Redemption's facebook page they reposted Chris Quirarte's (drummer) post of "Day two of recording drums for our upcoming record!"

If so, wasn't expecting this so soon!  Hopefully this is true and we get more info soon!

Edit: appears to be legit, scrolled further down on Redemptions facebook page and found a reply to someone from Redemption saying "New music written...rehearsals for recording underway!"

Damn, that was quick if that's the case.  Bring it on.   :metal

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #685 on: July 10, 2017, 01:46:54 AM »
My opinion on Art of Loss has turned upside down over the last year. I was underwhelmed at release but may albums I preferred at that time have become stale, while Art of Loss seems to reveal timeless qualities.

Offline krands85

« Reply #686 on: July 10, 2017, 03:58:25 AM »
My opinion on Art of Loss has turned upside down over the last year. I was underwhelmed at release but may albums I preferred at that time have become stale, while Art of Loss seems to reveal timeless qualities.
I think it's one of their best albums  :metal

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #687 on: September 08, 2017, 09:00:17 PM »
Saw this on Facebook tonight - Progpower USA 2018 Announcement Video

https://vimeo.com/232535695

Redemption was announced at the 7:00 minuite mark.  Nick confirms that Ray is no longer in the band and has been replaced by TOM FUCKING ENGLUND.   :hefdaddy

I approve whole-hardheartedly.  The snippet of the new song confirms it - I love them, but Redemption to me seemed to be stuck on autopilot over the last few albums.  This is going to change the game for me. 

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #688 on: September 08, 2017, 09:44:46 PM »
Not sure what to think about this news...  While the clip didn't grab me, I think it was mainly just out of place a bit not hearing Ray.  I do like Tom Englund's voice, but I thought Ray was so integral to their sound, and I especially thought he brought it on The Art of Loss.

But don't want to sound negative on Redemption - just shocked at the moment...  Looking forward to the new album for sure still.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #689 on: September 08, 2017, 10:18:10 PM »
Oh wow. I don't know what to think. I liked Redemption because Rays tone fit the atmosphere and mood of the music really well.

I'll have to give the new album a listen once its released.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #690 on: September 08, 2017, 10:24:15 PM »
That's not good news to me. Tom Englund is a good singer, but Ray Alder is...... Ray Alder.

Besides, the snippets don't sound any different from typical Redemption.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 10:31:50 PM by NoseofNicko »

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #691 on: September 08, 2017, 10:45:53 PM »
It does sound like Redemption still. I want to hear him do the softer stuff. That's where Ray shined.

Where is that progpower thread though? Thats a great lineup and I may go to this one.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #692 on: September 09, 2017, 01:08:34 AM »
Wait wait what?? Evergrey's Tom Englund? :omg: Did not suspect that!  :omg:

Offline krands85

« Reply #693 on: September 09, 2017, 04:07:01 AM »
Well that's a bummer. Always loved Ray's voice and his work with Redemption  :'(

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #694 on: September 09, 2017, 05:49:30 AM »
I guess this has to do with Fates being more active in recent years. I bet the Redemption's sound won't differ too much, since it's really Nick 's baby.
About progpower 2018... JLB finally touring again?!?! Very cool news!
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #695 on: September 09, 2017, 06:40:39 AM »
This excites me.  I was very disappointed with Art of Loss.  Hope Tom can manage his time between the two bands effectively.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #696 on: September 09, 2017, 08:12:50 AM »
This excites me.  I was very disappointed with Art of Loss.  Hope Tom can manage his time between the two bands effectively.

I'm sure he can.  Redemption rarely plays shows or tours.  Evergrey will probably remain his primary band.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #697 on: September 09, 2017, 10:44:36 AM »
Didn't really care for the last album, but this really kills any interest I had in the band, unfortunately.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #698 on: September 09, 2017, 10:44:51 AM »
Never heard of the guy, but a change could be interesting. I never really went back to the last two albums. Like Grappler said, it sounded like a band on autopilot to me, so bring on a change.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #699 on: September 09, 2017, 03:13:18 PM »
I heard a rumor about Ray leaving, and I guess it was true.  Plus, he's married now and living in Europe, so I imagine he probably wants to enjoy that side of life more as well.  Although Redemption never really performed live in recent years, so I cant imagine it took up much of his time.  I love Tom though.  He's an amazing songwriter, singer and lyricist.  Probably one of my top five progressive metal musicians.  Like everyone else, I'm pretty used to hearing Ray's voice over Nick's songwriting, but if Ray had to go I gotta say Tom would be up there on the list as a sweet replacement.  He's a brilliant creative force and a hell of a nice guy.  The last two Evergrey albums are 10/10, in my opinion.  It'll be interesting so see what Redemption becomes with not one, but two, big-time songwriters in the band in Tom and Nick.  Should be interesting.  Very sad to see Ray go, however.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 08:58:51 PM by Mebert78 »