Author Topic: The official Redemption thread v. I Am the Storm - March 17th 2023  (Read 143105 times)

Online me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
Re: The official Redemption thread
« Reply #420 on: June 13, 2015, 01:10:29 AM »
You like the band so much that you have an album cover of theirs as your avatar, yet have never listened to Fullness of Time :omg:

Get. That. Album. NAOWWW!

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #421 on: June 13, 2015, 11:37:47 AM »
You like the band so much that you have an album cover of theirs as your avatar, yet have never listened to Fullness of Time :omg:

Get. That. Album. NAOWWW!

Will order today.  How can I go wrong with two strong recommendations.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Online Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #422 on: June 15, 2015, 11:13:19 AM »
I'd recommend The Origins of Ruin as well.  That album just casts a spell on me and leaves me hypnotized.  There have been times when I've just listened to "Memory" over and over for hours. 
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #423 on: June 15, 2015, 11:23:52 AM »
Yeah Origin, Fullness and Mortal Coil are the best cd´s for me. But they are all worthwhile listening to.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Online Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #424 on: June 15, 2015, 01:22:38 PM »
Bernie just posted video of himself slowly walking a short distance on Facebook with the following comment:

"This is what brain coaching is doing for me. I'm so close to walking! Might be a little drunk looking but I'm getting closer everyday. I guess the doctors that thought I should stay in a long care nursing facility didn't know the determination of a heavy metal rocker, cause boys and girls I'm rocking on!!!!"
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #425 on: June 15, 2015, 02:00:44 PM »
Wow! Hell yes!! :metal
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #426 on: June 15, 2015, 03:24:25 PM »
His spirit and determintion is incredible.

What was he initial condition or what happened?  Anyone know?
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #427 on: June 15, 2015, 08:10:33 PM »
I came to post what mebert posted.

He had an aneurysm eight months ago.  It severely damaged his motor skills.  The good thing is that particularly for someone his age is that a full or near full recovery is possible in time.

Online PowerSlave

« Reply #428 on: June 16, 2015, 02:24:43 AM »
I can imagine that his ability to play music in the future might be lost. However, that's way down the list of things that matter at this point. This is wonderful news!!!
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #429 on: June 16, 2015, 05:33:05 AM »
I came to post what mebert posted.

He had an aneurysm eight months ago.  It severely damaged his motor skills.  The good thing is that particularly for someone his age is that a full or near full recovery is possible in time.

That's right.  Such a sudden and unfortunate thing to happen.  Looks like his determintion can get him through this.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #430 on: June 16, 2015, 06:56:08 AM »
That's great news!
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Randaran

• The Fate of Destruction is also the Joy of Rebirth
« Reply #431 on: June 25, 2015, 07:50:46 PM »
My copy of the self titled arrived today. I have not yet listened to the full album (only up to "Window to Space"), and while it is not quite at the level of The Fullness of Time and the three albums that follow it, it is still a good record, and can hold its own. After reading some of the comments about it in this thread, I was expecting it to be much worse than the band's future records, especially in terms of production. But the songs themselves are pretty good, and the production is not nearly as bad as other debut records such as WDADU and Symphony X's s/t. The only major issue I have with it is that the vocals are too low in the mix. The singer here reminds me of WDADU era Charlie Dominici, though I like this guy better.

So, while it is not as good as the band's other records, their s/t is more than solid, and a worthy part of their discography.

As an aside, the disc was around $25 including shipping, which is by far the most I have payed for a standard jewel case edition of any album. I know that it is out of print, but still! That's kind of ridiculous.
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol
My anime can beat up your anime.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #432 on: June 25, 2015, 07:56:27 PM »
Nick Van Dyk doesn't even like the first album. Nocturnal is the only decent song on it, and the only one they have in their setlists, but I'd prefer they retire it for better songs.

Offline Randaran

« Reply #433 on: June 26, 2015, 05:47:22 AM »
There are two big problems I have with the album. First is the absolutely awful lyrics (I'm specifically reffering to Desperation IV here, though it is present elsewhere). The other is how some sections are repeated far too many times. For example, Window to Space has many melodies that I like quite a bit, but most of the focus is on a few endlessly repeating, mediocre riffs. These two issues together really hamper my enjoyment of the album.

If my least favorite of their other albums, The Origins of Ruin, was an 8/10, and my favorite, The Fullness of Time, a 10/10, the self titled would be around a 4 or 5 out of 10 (note that, with the way I rate things, I do not actively dislike something until it gets as low as a 2).
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol

Offline Cyclopssss

• Connoseur of love
« Reply #434 on: June 29, 2015, 02:07:19 AM »
I actually thought it was pretty good when it came out. (knew Nick from the old 'orange' Fates Warning board where he talked about releasing it). The production suffers, though. 
The problem is that the ideas aren't really that aweful, but especially Desperation suffers from overlong dragging out and repetetiveness.
Something Wicked This Way Comes I thought was pretty awesome, especially after just having read the book. The problem with turning a book you love into a musical form of art is always a dicy affair. Plus after hearing Ray Alder's voice on one part of the song and being such a fan of Alder, Rick Mythissian really doesn't get the credit he deserves.
Nocturnal was an immediate favourite of mine, and I love the fact they're playing it live.

So it's really not that it's so awefully bad, it's just the fact that everytihing that came AFTER it was so much better...
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #435 on: June 29, 2015, 05:35:42 AM »
I've still never listened to the first album, it's the only one I didn't bother getting.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #436 on: June 29, 2015, 09:37:20 AM »
I actually thought it was pretty good when it came out. (knew Nick from the old 'orange' Fates Warning board where he talked about releasing it). The production suffers, though. 
The problem is that the ideas aren't really that aweful, but especially Desperation suffers from overlong dragging out and repetetiveness.
Something Wicked This Way Comes I thought was pretty awesome, especially after just having read the book. The problem with turning a book you love into a musical form of art is always a dicy affair. Plus after hearing Ray Alder's voice on one part of the song and being such a fan of Alder, Rick Mythissian really doesn't get the credit he deserves.
Nocturnal was an immediate favourite of mine, and I love the fact they're playing it live.

So it's really not that it's so awefully bad, it's just the fact that everytihing that came AFTER it was so much better...

first web board I was a member of.  remember Nick from there as well.  good times.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Cyclopssss

• Connoseur of love
« Reply #437 on: June 29, 2015, 11:32:03 AM »

first web board I was a member of.  remember Nick from there as well.  good times.

Indeed they were my man. Indeed they were.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #438 on: June 29, 2015, 02:42:57 PM »
I've still never listened to the first album, it's the only one I didn't bother getting.

Nor me, kind of similar to the Symphony X discography.
First album with a different singer, get new singer so much better and that first album is almost the black sheep of the band's back catalogue.
Should these type of albums be re-recorded with the current line up?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #439 on: June 29, 2015, 03:08:58 PM »
Yes absolutely.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Randaran

« Reply #440 on: June 29, 2015, 03:12:12 PM »

First album with a different singer, get new singer so much better and that first album is almost the black sheep of the band's back catalogue.

I am against this. To use your Symphony X example, the band rerecorded a song from their debut, which ended up on the special edition of The Oddyssey. The production on their debut is awful, and the updated version of Masquerade sounds far superior. At the same time, completely rerecording the album would clash with the bands' current outputs. On both Redemption and Symphony X, the songwriting is not nearly as strong as on the albums that followed. It would feel out of place. Also, compared to many debut efforts, Redemption's production is actually comparatively great, with the only major issue being the quiet vocals. So, considering these points, there is little reason for these albums to be rerecorded.

The only slightly convincing argument for rerecording is the possibly of improved vocals. Even then, I do not think that having a better singer on the album is enough to make up for the drawbacks I listed above, especially the one about mediocre songwriting. I would rather have a band release new material that is hopefully on par with, or better than, its later output than for it to waste time rerecording old material.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #441 on: June 29, 2015, 03:31:31 PM »

I feel they should.

I always thought bands should re-record the albums but add the original album remastered or something as a bonus disc.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #442 on: June 29, 2015, 05:01:24 PM »
With both bands slow recording output, a new album every 3, 4 or 5 years, I doubt if re-recording their debut's would really affect this  ;D
BTW 'Masquerade' was originally re-recorded for the Japan only compilation issued in 1998, called 'Prelude To The Millennium, Essentials Of Symphony'.
Which was basically a best of the first 4 albums, but with only 'Masquerade 98' coming from the debut.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #443 on: June 29, 2015, 05:09:45 PM »
My version of The Odyssey has that as a bonus track.  Such an improvement from the original.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #444 on: June 29, 2015, 05:44:12 PM »
So does mine, Japan version also has another bonus track in, 'Frontiers'.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #445 on: June 29, 2015, 06:12:41 PM »

That version is pretty much impossible to find, and me wants it!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #446 on: June 29, 2015, 06:17:46 PM »
Never heard of that track.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #447 on: June 29, 2015, 07:55:35 PM »

That version is pretty much impossible to find, and me wants it!

Nope not really, got mine from CD Japan for a really good price, US$12.18 plus shipping
https://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/VICP-65020

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #448 on: June 30, 2015, 03:52:16 AM »

Thaty version is pretty much impossible to find, and me wants it!

Nope not really, got mine from CD Japan for a really good price, US$12.18 plus shipping
https://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/VICP-65020

How long ago, cause not a month ago they refunded me for not having it in stock. It took them a month just to tell me that too.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #449 on: June 30, 2015, 03:59:18 AM »
Mine was ordered September last year and shipped soon after.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #450 on: June 30, 2015, 09:51:40 AM »
I ordered in April of this year and waited a month for them to tell me they were out. Yet they still haven't updated the page. Glad they're on top of things.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #451 on: June 30, 2015, 07:54:45 PM »
Unusual for CDJ, been ordering from them for many years and never had any issues with them at all.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #453 on: July 22, 2015, 04:15:00 PM »
Awesome news indeed.  Looking forward to this one.  It's sad Bernie can't be involved but the main thing is that he is slowy improving.  Wonder who the guests will be.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #454 on: July 22, 2015, 04:28:05 PM »
 :metal

Though it's kind of a bittersweet feeling due to Bernie's recovery. Wishing him the best and fast recovery!