Author Topic: The official Redemption thread v. I Am the Storm - March 17th 2023  (Read 142171 times)

Offline Phantasmatron

• Peanut Butter Advocate and Jelly Enthusiast
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What the Jenkins?!
Re: Redemption - This Mortal Coil (Now out in the UK)
« Reply #140 on: October 07, 2011, 08:53:26 PM »
I must say, though, Nic can write some freaking songs.  This guy is a songwriting monster.  And what a lyricist.  Love this guy so much.

And to Ray, please take care your voice.  You were blessed with the best voice in progressive metal, IMO.  Cherish it.

I don't have the CD yet, so I can't speak for the first part of your post, but every word in this part is spot-on.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #141 on: October 07, 2011, 08:55:42 PM »
I haven't gotten my copy yet, though they said they shipped it several days ago. Hopefully tomorrow afternoon it'll come in the mail.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #142 on: October 07, 2011, 08:59:56 PM »
Sadly, I cancelled my pre-order a few days ago. I will buy the CD eventually, but I'm in a rut, and now my car needs a fixin'.

There's other CDs I wont be able to buy on their release day either. POO GAS!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #143 on: October 08, 2011, 05:00:35 AM »
I got the CD.  Now, I'll say that I got into Redemption last year and I fell hard and fast for their music.  I love it.  They've been my most listened to band the past year, by far.  But, as others have said in various reviews elsewhere, the production doesn't seem good to me.  It ruins my listening experience to the point where I can't enjoy the music -- despite the fact that the songwriting here is very good!  I popped in the disc and heard it right away.  It almost sounds like a demo to me.  Certain vocals and instruments seem too loud, and others seem too low.  And the instruments all blend and crunch together into almost a fuzzy-type sound.  I'm not a music engineer, but from what I've read that is due to mastering a disc too loudly?

I felt really sad when I heard it.  I love Redemption and I've even emailed Nic in the past when certain lyrics really helped me through a hard time, and he was nice enough to respond.  Like I said, the songwriting seems just as strong as past albums, but for me it's hard to enjoy the listening experince.  I'm surprised it wasn't noticed by the engineers or record label.  Maybe the whole process was rushed?  I remember seeing Facebook posts in which Nic said they were pressed to meet deadlines.  I'd rather a band take four years to make an album and get it perfect than something like this happen.

I must say, though, Nic can write some freaking songs.  This guy is a songwriting monster.  And what a lyricist.  Love this guy so much.

And to Ray, please take care of your voice.  You were blessed with the best voice in progressive metal, IMO.  Cherish it.

Although the the mix being a little muddy, I really don't have a problem with the production at all.  I agree what you are saying regarding the instrument volumes and the fuzz type sound at times, but really it doesn't distract from my listening experience at all, and the more I listen to this, the more the songs are growing on me.

And as for Ray, it's too late, his voice is shot.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #144 on: October 08, 2011, 06:30:41 AM »
I'm really kind of surprised at the production comments, because even though I haven't been over the moon about their last few albums, I've always thought that the production values were very good, if not great.

I'll buy this when it comes out in the states, but probably just the digital version.

So far the reviews I've read here and elsewhere have been quite mixed.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #145 on: October 08, 2011, 09:56:38 AM »
"Perfect" might be my favorite song so far.  What a beautiful song with incredible lyrics.  It instantly made me look at life differently.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #146 on: October 08, 2011, 04:34:21 PM »
I've been listening nonstop and I'm starting to hear past the production issues and really embrace the music and lyrics.  I've been sitting with the booklet open and following the words.  I'm so blown away.  What fantastic, life-changing lyrics.  And the lyrics are woven through the songs to link them all, culminating with the final verse in the final song that referrences all the prior song titles.  Nic is the best in the business.  He really pours everything he has into his music and it's beautiful.   
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #147 on: October 09, 2011, 04:29:11 AM »
Funeral could very well be my fav song of the year.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #148 on: October 10, 2011, 12:34:22 PM »
Got it today. It's great, but I'm listening to the covers disc right now and the only thing I'm noticing is that Ray's voice sounds very tired and worn. Maybe it's just the songs he's singing?
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #149 on: October 10, 2011, 01:53:44 PM »
No, Ray's a habitual smoker and its only a matter of time before it completely craps out on him.  Given a few takes, he can still do good, but if you have the Redemption live DVD, he's very rough and shaky voice wise at places.

This album seems to be a grower, which is odd because normally Redemption doesn't have to grow on me.  I'm still enjoying this more each listen, but I don't think it will top Snowfall.

Offline krands85

« Reply #150 on: October 10, 2011, 01:55:43 PM »
I've only listened to it 2 or 3 times, but I'm enjoying it more than Snowfall which I was sort of disappointed with. Although saying that, I listened to a couple tracks from it the other day and actually enjoyed them more than I remembered :D Will have to give them both a load more listens, but I can't tear myself away from ADTOE  :blush
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline nvandyk

« Reply #151 on: October 10, 2011, 02:34:29 PM »
Hi there everybody!

Thanks for contributing to the discussion.

The only thing I'm going to say is that it would be a neat trick for me to have stolen the lick from Iconoclast considering I wrote this material about six months before it came out!  : )   In fact, the main riff from Dreams from the Pit was written around the time I wrote the music for Fullness of Time.

There are only so many frets on a guitar, and tritones are popular in metal. 

I actually do try to ensure I'm not using any of my own material.   There are a number of recurring riffs WITHIN the CD which are purposeful.   As an example, the prechorus in Begin Again uses the same chords as the chorus in Perfect.  If I've stolen my own material, feel free to point it out.  :)

Anyhow, hope you all enjoy the music!!

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #152 on: October 10, 2011, 02:49:13 PM »
Oh no... I wish you hadn't said that... In all seriousness, I still enjoy the album, Nick, and it's only a few minor similarities I noticed. And the Iconoclast riff is derived from a riff in Wicked right before the second verse. You and Romeo should duke it out for riff rights. I'm pretty sure you'd win, as long as Russell wasn't there. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #153 on: October 10, 2011, 03:43:06 PM »
Probably not a good idea, Zook.  I don't think the following would end well for anyone involved:

NVD:  "Nice riff you got there, bub."
MR:  "Who you callin' Blob?"

*epic battle that results in tons of property damage*
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #154 on: October 10, 2011, 03:44:36 PM »
If that fight ever happened Nick would just have to distract Romeo with a cheeseburger and then victory would be assured.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #155 on: October 10, 2011, 03:48:47 PM »
Hi there everybody!

Thanks for contributing to the discussion.

The only thing I'm going to say is that it would be a neat trick for me to have stolen the lick from Iconoclast considering I wrote this material about six months before it came out!  : )   In fact, the main riff from Dreams from the Pit was written around the time I wrote the music for Fullness of Time.

There are only so many frets on a guitar, and tritones are popular in metal. 

I actually do try to ensure I'm not using any of my own material.   There are a number of recurring riffs WITHIN the CD which are purposeful.   As an example, the prechorus in Begin Again uses the same chords as the chorus in Perfect.  If I've stolen my own material, feel free to point it out.  :)

Anyhow, hope you all enjoy the music!!

Hey Nick, I personally don't think there is anything close to a rip off on the album, and didn't really hear anything that I thought of something else, only Redemption.  Redemption are really one of the most freshest metal bands in the last years.

This album is a hell of a grower and its working its way up the ranks there with Snowfall, and the lyrics are amazing.  I think I can definitely say that Funeral is my fav song of the year.  Amazing album, and definitely will be in my top of 2011 list.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #156 on: October 10, 2011, 05:00:36 PM »
I literally can't stop listening to this album.  I must say that I can't fully relate to the lyrics at this point in my life, because I'm a healthy guy in my early 30s and I've only lost grandparents.  But I'm sure when the topic of life and death finds me in life, I will be looking to this album for comfort and understanding.  Just like I looked to Origins of Ruin for comnfort late last year when I had a relationship that fell apart.  Nic captures feelings so wonderfully.  I'm still kinda bummed about the album's production in places, but it doesn't bother me as much anymore.  The artwork is beautiful too.  And I can't wait to wear my Redemption CD at the DT show tomorrow!

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #157 on: October 10, 2011, 06:01:11 PM »
Probably not a good idea, Zook.  I don't think the following would end well for anyone involved:

NVD:  "Nice riff you got there, bub."
MR:  "Who you callin' Blob?"

*epic battle that results in tons of property damage*

:lol

And I can't wait to wear my Redemption CD at the DT show tomorrow!

Are you going to wear it on your head?

Offline Qrusher14242

« Reply #158 on: October 10, 2011, 08:09:23 PM »
anyone else going to the show on Saturday in LA? should be a good show, havent seen them since last year(i think?) at the Whiskey. Can't wait to hear the new songs live :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #159 on: October 10, 2011, 10:04:15 PM »
Nick,

Big fan of your work and I think I speak for us all when I say it's good to see you around considering where you were.

That said, any chance of getting some live dates across the country?  I've travelled nearly a thousand miles for a show, and it's a safe bet that several of us would put on some miles to see you live.

Of course if you want to play in Southwest Virginia I'll put you up for free, I'll even cook for the band and crew!

PS - I'm definately rocking my This Mortal Coil shirt when I see Dream Theater next week.  I'll say hi to James for you  ;)

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #160 on: October 10, 2011, 10:46:53 PM »
I am a bit late on this, which I myself am surprised by, but This Mortal Coil is one of my top 10 albums of the year, if not top 5.

I have been a fan since I saw the Chaos In Motion Tour in Minneapolis, actually, scratch that, I've been a fan since I bought The Fullness Of Time and The Origins Of Ruin back my last day of being a Senior in High school. And I was one of the fortunate 3 that named Redemption's live DVD, Frozen in The Moment. (I'll happily supply pics upon request for proof)  :metal

While I absolutely love Snowfall On Judgement Day. This Mortal Coil is one of my favorite albums since Evergrey's Recreation Day. The whole theme of the album hits home with me and very similar experiences in my family and with friends. I'm not ashamed that I had a couple tears hit my eyes when I hear No tickets To The Funeral. By the time Pale Horse came on, I was completely overjoyed. and applauded by myself in front of my computer.

Normally lyrics are the last thing I care about on an album. Being a drummer, I always listen to the music and Melodies before anything else. but this time the lyrics grabbed me and have yet to let me go.

Nick, if you read this, you've made a perfect album in my eyes. My only disappointment in this album is that I'll probably never see a show supporting this album. I hope one day Redemption in Minnesota again. I know Swordlord Productions would happily supply a show at Station4 if they opportunity ever arises. Maybe before or after ProgPower next year?

Also, next week I will be playing No Tickets To The Funeral. I will send you a link when I record the show.

Once again fantastic, perfection of an album. Major Kudos, and keep kicking ass Nick!
That Drummer Guy's Reviews, Interviews, Playlists, Radio Shows, & Social Media:
https://www.thatdrummerguy.com

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
Re: Redemption - This Mortal Coil (Out now!)
« Reply #161 on: October 10, 2011, 10:55:52 PM »
And finally the American release day is here!

I'm actually kinda surprised, usually CMdistro would have had this here either Monday or Saturday. Hopefully it comes today though.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #162 on: October 11, 2011, 08:05:34 AM »

I'm actually kinda surprised, usually CMdistro would have had this here either Monday or Saturday. Hopefully it comes today though.

I got mine from CM distro Thursday last week, and I live in the middle of nowhere compared to you.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #163 on: October 11, 2011, 08:07:09 AM »
I actually think mine hasn't shipped yet, and I should probably look into things...

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #164 on: October 11, 2011, 08:08:13 AM »
Perhaps being held up by another preorder?

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #165 on: October 11, 2011, 08:15:05 AM »
No, I found out what the problem is. Apparently when I ordered I typed in a wrong credit card #. They sent me an email about it, but I just dismissed it as the normal post-order email.

Pain of Salvation shirts are now out of stock so I'll end up just ordering it and this from Amazon now. Oh well, guess I'll be waiting a few more days.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #166 on: October 11, 2011, 08:17:32 AM »
Oh Nick you're a laugh a minute  :lol

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #167 on: October 11, 2011, 05:05:39 PM »

I got mine from CM distro Thursday last week, and I live in the middle of nowhere compared to you.
I didn't get mine until today. Still release day, though, so I can't complain. Can't wait to listen.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #168 on: October 12, 2011, 04:23:48 AM »
I'm slowly coming to the conclusion that this album is fucking incredible!!  :metal

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #169 on: October 12, 2011, 01:43:07 PM »
I'm still debating whether I should be a dick and accept Nick's challenge to point out the similarities from past albums...

I know he'd be cool about it though. If I were to do the same thing with say, Iced Earth, Schaffer would probably e-mail my job...

Of course, that's only if Schaffer gave a damn about the internets.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 03:43:54 PM by Zook »

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #170 on: October 12, 2011, 01:48:37 PM »
I purchased a copy of this today at The Laser's Edge while picking up a few other discs I had been meaning to get.

Will post some thoughts once I've had a few listens.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #171 on: October 12, 2011, 02:03:51 PM »
I'm still debating whether I should be a dick and except Nick's challenge to point out the similarities from past albums...

If you do I hope he's a dick and points out your fantastic grammar. :p

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
  • Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #172 on: October 12, 2011, 02:52:34 PM »
so far I am disappointed by this album.  I will keep spinning it and hoping for the best, but it seems to lack the melodies of the other albums.  of course, I don't see how they could've repeated SOJD

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #173 on: October 12, 2011, 03:43:40 PM »
I'm still debating whether I should be a dick and except Nick's challenge to point out the similarities from past albums...

If you do I hope he's a dick and points out your fantastic grammar. :p

YOU DID THAT!

:blush

Offline Phantasmatron

• Peanut Butter Advocate and Jelly Enthusiast
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What the Jenkins?!
« Reply #174 on: October 12, 2011, 04:01:29 PM »
Just checked the mail.  Still no Redemption.

I WANT TO JOIN IN THE DISCUSSION, DAMMIT.