Author Topic: The official Redemption thread v. I Am the Storm - March 17th 2023  (Read 143069 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: The official Redemption thread
« Reply #735 on: April 11, 2018, 02:59:16 PM »
So many changes in the band, and I'm not sure what to make of it all.  It will be interesting to see how they sound now.

I see the note on the new album as well, and the title:  Long Night’s Journey into Day.  Interesting title.  Does anyone know where that phrase originates?  Neal Morse uses it in the lyrics as part of the chorus on one of the songs on SS, and it is apparently the title of a film on South African apartheid.  So it must have come from somewhere and be an actual quote.  Anyone have any insight?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #736 on: April 11, 2018, 03:32:49 PM »
This is kind of surreal; I've seen Vikram post on a lot of mutual friends' Facebooks for a couple years, and suddenly I hear he's joining Redemption. That's awesome. Guy is super talented from everything I've seen.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #737 on: April 11, 2018, 06:36:00 PM »
I just want to hear some new music dammit!!
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #738 on: April 11, 2018, 07:48:52 PM »
I'm tired of waiting for this album but know it will be worth the wait.  I swear last September when they announced everything that they were aiming for an early 2018 release but now they haven't even mentioned a release timeframe yet.

First thing I thought of with the album title was Neal Morse (like Bosk mentioned).  Although I think it was also last September when that info was released also (and the short clip of new stuff in the progpower announcement was from the song of that name also).  I'm guessing the inspiration behind the title came from some form of literary work but wouldn't know the reference.

Gonna be good, just cautiously optimistic about it overall.  I listen to all of their albums regularly, it's hard to imagine the band with a different singer (yes I realize the debut had a different singer (mostly) and I listen to that one too).

Offline Nachtmerrie

« Reply #739 on: April 12, 2018, 12:22:33 PM »
Looking forward to this album. I've been listening to both Redemption and Evergrey since last year and both are in my top 10 bands right n now. I'm very curious how Redemption will sound with Tom. He's got some big shoes to fill with Ray voice being such a key part of Redemption sound.

Let's hope they do a tour after Progpower and come to Europe.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #740 on: April 12, 2018, 12:33:30 PM »
I have to admit, I don't get the love for Evergrey and Englund. I respect the band and the singer a great deal. I just never could connect with his voice for some reason. And because of that, I am very skeptical about new Redemption music. Ray's voice gone, and now a new keyboard player too, I am sure Nick has written a great album (he always does), but it's not high on my radar.

When it is released, I'll of course check it out. But for me, if I can't connect with the vocalist, very rarely does a band keep my attention...
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #741 on: April 12, 2018, 12:50:44 PM »
I have to admit, I don't get the love for Evergrey and Englund. I respect the band and the singer a great deal. I just never could connect with his voice for some reason. And because of that, I am very skeptical about new Redemption music. Ray's voice gone, and now a new keyboard player too, I am sure Nick has written a great album (he always does), but it's not high on my radar.

When it is released, I'll of course check it out. But for me, if I can't connect with the vocalist, very rarely does a band keep my attention...

I've been an Evergrey fan for 15 years and that's the first time that I have ever heard someone say that they don't love Tom's voice.   People complain about their music all the time (it's not dark and progressive enough like their older stuff) but they always still compliment Tom's singing.  In Evergrey, his emotion is mainly on the darker side.  Pain, anguish, despair.  It will be interesting to see how he fits into Redemption, since some of their songs can be more hopeful in sound/feel or topic.  But Redemption has also had plenty of darker, heavier songs too.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #742 on: April 12, 2018, 02:40:21 PM »
Tom is probably one of my top three favorite voices in progressive metal, but that's just me!  As for the Redemption album, it sounds to me like the album was pretty much done, but when Tom came on board he maybe floated the idea of adding a full-time keyboardist to give the songs some extra pop and Nick was for it upon seeing what Vikram could do.  Personally, I loved Greg H.'s keyboard work on the Snowfall on Judgment Day album and I was sad to see he wasn't on This Mortal Coil.  Adding Vikram probably caused a delay for the new album since he ended up adding his contributions to the completed pieces.  Should be interesting.  I totally trust Nick and Tom -- they are both brilliant creative minds.  This album will slay!
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #743 on: April 12, 2018, 02:43:21 PM »

I've been an Evergrey fan for 15 years and that's the first time that I have ever heard someone say that they don't love Tom's voice.   People complain about their music all the time (it's not dark and progressive enough like their older stuff) but they always still compliment Tom's singing.  In Evergrey, his emotion is mainly on the darker side.  Pain, anguish, despair.  It will be interesting to see how he fits into Redemption, since some of their songs can be more hopeful in sound/feel or topic.  But Redemption has also had plenty of darker, heavier songs too.

Ha ha. Well, I don't know what to say, I've tried. At your recommendation no less! His voice just doesn't resonate with me for whatever reason. Obviously, he is a really good singer, and I respect him. It just hasn't clicked for me personally.

But I will check out the new Redemption record for sure!
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #744 on: April 12, 2018, 05:53:22 PM »

I agree with all of this, Sam. This is not an automatic buy.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #745 on: April 13, 2018, 08:14:51 AM »

I agree with all of this, Sam. This is not an automatic buy.

I like Evergrey a lot, but I'm not sure how well Tom's voice and style of singing would fit for Redemption. I'm curious about the new album, but yeah, it'll be one of those "try before you buy" records for me.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #746 on: April 13, 2018, 10:09:55 AM »
I'm more curious of how he'll sound on older material.

Online pg1067

« Reply #747 on: April 13, 2018, 11:04:19 AM »
I see the note on the new album as well, and the title:  Long Night’s Journey into Day.  Interesting title.  Does anyone know where that phrase originates?  Neal Morse uses it in the lyrics as part of the chorus on one of the songs on SS, and it is apparently the title of a film on South African apartheid.  So it must have come from somewhere and be an actual quote.  Anyone have any insight?

"Long Night's Journey into Day" is a "play" on "Long Day's Journey into Night," which is a Pulitzer Prize winning, semi-autobiographical play by Eugene O'Neill, written in the 1940s and published in the 1950s.  The play was made into a 1962 movie starring Katharine Hepburn (for which she was nominated for an Oscar).  "Long Day's Journey into Night" appears to have originated with the O'Neill play.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #748 on: April 15, 2018, 03:45:38 AM »
This is an absolute blind purchase for me.  Tom is one of the best voices in metal, and one of my favs in general to be honest.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #749 on: April 15, 2018, 06:06:40 AM »
This is an absolute blind purchase for me.  Tom is one of the best voices in metal, and one of my favs in general to be honest.

:hifive:

I have seen more than a few here at DTF say that Tom's voice doesn't do it for them.  Different strokes I guess.  Plus, having met the dude at a M&G and PPUSA, he is one cool mofo.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #750 on: April 15, 2018, 11:34:40 AM »
Whats a good Evergrey song/album to check out? I've been wanting to listen to them but always forgot when I would search for music.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #751 on: April 15, 2018, 03:00:29 PM »
New Redemption will be an automatic buy for me.  I'm not the biggest Evergrey fan, only regularly listen to two of their albums (the newest two).  But the reason I haven't gotten into more isn't because of Tom's voice, I have just found other stuff I've checked out to be a little boring.  I still prefer Ray's voice over Tom's but who knows maybe the new Redemption will change that.  After all I think it's really Nick's songwriting that really has me loving Redemption as much as I do.

My choice for a song to check out is King Of Errors.  https://youtu.be/Pmmh69G-pt0  It's the first song I ever heard by them.  The entire album (Hymns for the Broken) is fantastic.

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #752 on: April 16, 2018, 06:19:15 AM »
Whats a good Evergrey song/album to check out? I've been wanting to listen to them but always forgot when I would search for music.

A Touch of Blessing:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQ8PXXrCasE

I am so excited for this new Redemption disc with Tom!

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #753 on: April 16, 2018, 06:43:55 AM »

Album-wise, either Recreation Day or Hymns for the Broken.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #754 on: April 16, 2018, 06:48:20 AM »
Since I'm seeing Redemption at ProgPower I need to get familiar with another album. What's better than The Fullness of Time? I don't particularly find that album interesting or fun.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #755 on: April 16, 2018, 06:59:55 AM »
Since I'm seeing Redemption at ProgPower I need to get familiar with another album. What's better than The Fullness of Time? I don't particularly find that album interesting or fun.

Snowfall on Judgement Day is their best IMO
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Online goo-goo

« Reply #756 on: April 16, 2018, 07:15:43 AM »

Snowfall on Judgement Day is their best IMO

+1

After Snowfall, I would check out Origin of Ruins, Art of Loss, and This Mortal Coil.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #757 on: April 16, 2018, 07:15:50 AM »

Yea, I need to start listening to this band for PPUSA.  I've been listening to a lot of Dream Evil and Alestorm lately, I want to start getting into Angra and Redemption next.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #758 on: April 16, 2018, 07:28:21 AM »
Snowfall it is then! I'll make sure to get to that at some point... *saves on Spotify*

cram, move on from Alestorm and listen to good metal.  :lol I'm playing, but seriously, get on Angra. You won't regret it.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #759 on: April 16, 2018, 07:43:08 AM »
I wasn't blown away by their new single, but I am still planning to dig a little deeper.  Day 2 at PPUSA was the only day I wasn't interested in (just because I am not familiar with those bands), so thats why I started with Dream Evil (who is solid, but I don't love them) and then Angra were bands I really was hoping to like.

Alestorm is just easy though.  I can listen to the album once and know it essentially, the more proggy stuff takes a lot of listens to really digest.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #760 on: April 16, 2018, 07:52:49 AM »
My Redemption album rankings....

1. The Fullness of Time
2. The Art of Loss
3. Origins of Ruin
4. Redemption
5. Snowfall on Judgment Day
6. This Mortal Coil

Hoping that the new album title is connected to "At Day's End". Would certainly make sense.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #761 on: April 16, 2018, 08:13:13 AM »
For me The Fullness of Time and The Origins of Ruin are pretty much tied at the top.  Then either Snowfall or This Mortal Coil, depending on my mood. The self titled is last, and I need to listen to The Art of Loss more.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #762 on: April 16, 2018, 08:40:15 AM »
It will probably be an automatic purchase for me, but on the strength of Nick's writing and the level of playing I have come to expect from a Redemption album, not necessarily because of the new guy on vocals.  Never been a fan of Evergrey.  Not that I can't point to anything specific that I don't like, but nothing I ever heard really clicked at all.  But I expect I will find plenty to like on just about anything with the Redemption name on it.

EDIT:  #hangonasecond  The Grand Collapse is actually pretty epic.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 09:25:45 AM by bosk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #763 on: April 16, 2018, 10:03:15 AM »
My favourite is Origins of Ruin closely followed by Snowfall, so yeah, can't go wrong with either of these two.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #764 on: April 16, 2018, 10:13:07 AM »
My favourite is Origins of Ruin closely followed by Snowfall, so yeah, can't go wrong with either of these two.

You'd think.  But since he already crapped on Fullness of Time, who knows!?

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #765 on: April 16, 2018, 10:31:36 AM »

You'd think.  But since he already crapped on Fullness of Time, who knows!?

I need prog metal with energy and Fullness of Time has very low energy! Sad!  :lol

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #766 on: May 02, 2018, 06:53:25 PM »
Not really news so much, but a couple of weeks ago Redemption responded to a question on their facebook page:  "News forthcoming in about 30 days...but this year for sure."

So hopefully we'll at least get some kind of update in about a couple weeks!

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #767 on: May 15, 2018, 11:04:00 AM »
New song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjrM0wsEK5Y

Album description from the pre-order page:

"If there's a consistent message to Redemption's music, it's that life is a struggle and there is pain and fear and doubt, but, ultimately, it is a thing of beauty and wonderment. If you push through the struggle, the rewards of that process itself, along with what you find on the other side, are joyous and a fantastic gift," states guitarist/keyboardist Nick van Dyk, and with Long Night's Journey Into Day, the seventh full-length from the LA based progressive powerhouse, this has never been clearer. Taking the title of Eugene O'Neill's play Long Day's Journey Into Night, which focuses on the decay of a family that's plagued by addiction, Redemption have turned it inside out, and made it their own. "Inverting the phrasing of the title is really what Redemption's message is about. It's a long night. It's a journey, and at times it's a struggle. But there is daybreak."

The follow-up to 2016's The Art Of Loss, which van Dyk counts as amongst Redemption's very best, Long Night's Journey Into Day is inarguably the sound of a band at the height of their powers. As followers of Redemption are also aware, it is the first full-length since the departure of vocalist Ray Alder, and features the debut of Evergrey vocalist Tom Englund. "We were unable to tour 'The Art Of Loss' because Ray was not able to actively participate in Redemption any longer, so we decided it was time to part company shortly after its release. Ray is a dear friend, and I have nothing but respect and love for him and what we created together. But at some point, it just became untenable." Of course, Alder's shoes were not exactly going to be easy to fill, and it was essential that his successor be someone who would immediately command respect, as well as somebody who could exceed expectations when it came to performance. Moreover, it was integral that they had someone who could fully invest in the lyrical themes concerning the human condition, which have always been central to Redemption. So, the fact that from the beginning of his career Englund has penned lyrics about feelings of doubt, fear and despair with an unshakable emotional authenticity made him the perfect choice. "Because of the power of his voice and the emotion he brings, this isn't going to be a shocking transition for fans. Tom's also a very versatile vocalist, and being a songwriter, he has a tremendous melodic and compositional sensibility, and on top of that, we've known each other for many years, and there is a level of not just professional respect but personal friendship to it all."

With the band - rounded out by bassist Sean Andrews and drummer Chris Quirarte - having built their sound around the combination of aggressive, heavy riffing with strong melodic sensibilities imbued with a certain cinematic quality and delivered with urgency and heartfelt emotion, Long Night's Journey Into Day takes its cues from its predecessors while pushing that sound ever forward. While known for penning grandiose epics, van Dyk never sets out to write long songs for the sake of it, and though boasting a fair share of lengthy tracks - including the powerful title track, which closes out the record - there is something very direct about Long Night's Journey Into Day, which increases its emotional power. "I never want a song to feel like it drags, whether it's four minutes or fourteen minutes long, and often, the driving force behind some of our longest songs isn't the music but the words. If you're dealing with a topic that starts in a dark place and tells a story of struggle and meditates on what it is to be human, and then ends in a place of positivity - which a lot of our music does - it's not credible to have a verse where somebody is in a dark place and then two lines later everything is fine. Like the real-life situations that we're talking about, whether it be recovering from failure, dealing with the end of a chapter in our lives, coming to terms with one's mortality or experiencing a betrayal and struggling through its impact, whatever it might be, these things are a process of discovery and contemplation and reflection and they take time to unfold."

Many such themes are touched upon over the course of the record's ten tracks, all of which are as thoughtful as they are relatable. To reference but a few, "Impermanent" is about learning to adapt, and realizing that life is about growth and change and making the best of the moment, while "Eyes You Dare Not Face In Dreams" focuses on the doubts that fill the void when one's integrity is lacking. Then there is "The Echo Chamber", the second political song of the band's seventeen-year career, focusing on how social media has led people to only engage with those of the same perspective, and the loss of emphasis on learning from those with different views. "Indulge In Color", which van Dyk counts amongst the top three or four songs the band has penned, "is a sequel to 'Black & White World' [from 2009's 'Snowfall On Judgment Day'], which is arguably the best song I've ever written. Life is hard, but it's a thing of tremendous beauty, and it's up to you to live it to the fullest. Like the song 'Perfect' on 'This Mortal Coil' (2011) says: suck the marrow out of every day." The new record's title track also embraces and advances this theme. "We see a lot of dreams and hoped-for-outcomes dashed by our own failings or by factors outside our control, but dreaming is essential to realizing the beauty of life. Life is amazing and depressing and carefree and terrifying and full of hope and love and full of fear and doubt…But it is, in the final calculus, beautiful and an incredible gift. And we must keep on dreaming."

With producer Jacob Hansen - whose credits include releases from the likes of Primal Fear, Epica, Volbeat, Amaranthe, and Evergrey - on board, the guitars and bass were tracked in van Dyk's home studio, drum tracks at Quirarte's home studio, and Englund tracked the majority of his vocals in Sweden, with a ten-hour session in LA all that was required to put the finishing touches on his "phenomenal" performance. Absent from the band's lineup is lead guitarist Bernie Versailles, who suffered an aneurysm in 2014, and has since been focusing on his recovery. "Bernie is happy, living with family, and continuing to recover; he's still a very musical person, but he isn't at this time up to recording and performing. We do miss him terribly, on a day-to-day basis, and there has never been a kinder, nicer, more guileless person in the Redemption universe. We of course all continue to wish for his full recovery, good health and happiness." Long Night's Journey Into Day does however see the quartet collaborating with guitarists Simone Mularoni (DGM/Empyrios), and the legendary Chris Poland, both of whom also supplied astounding leads on The Art Of Loss. "Simone is an incredibly gifted lead guitarist who played his ass off on 'The Art of Loss' and does the same on this record, and Chris Poland is simply one of the most unique and talented musicians in the history of metal. His musical sensibilities are singular in this genre, and they push our music into areas that no other guitarist in metal could do. We are very lucky to have him involved in a second record of ours." Alongside these longtime collaborators they also recruited keyboardist Vikram Shankar, who van Dyk asserts "may be the most talented musician I have ever met. Tom introduced me to him and we got along well immediately. He has a similar approach to music in terms of voicings and how keyboards add to music in the right way. Vik joined the project at the eleventh hour but made important contributions nonetheless; I expect he will play a more significant role in Redemption in the future."

When it came to backing up the music with visuals, the band once again turned to a longtime collaborator, Travis Smith, whose humbling resumé includes records by bands such as Art Of Defiance, Opeth and Iced Earth. "Most of the time, I will have a fairly good idea of what I want the cover to be and he will take it from there. Here, all I had was the title at first. Travis came up with this wonderful front cover that looks almost like a complex watercolor painting, showing a rickety wooden staircase spiraling towards a brighter dawn, and as the production of the record dragged out, I had the idea of complementing the front with a back cover showing a side-view of a man descending the stairs with hands trying to trip him or drag him down, or otherwise prevent his safe passage. It's a good metaphor for our own failings, life's curveballs and the actions of others who don't have our best interests in mind."

With live dates across the US in the offing - including a headlining slot at Atlanta's Progpower Festival in the fall, which may be recorded for a live album and/or DVD - van Dyk is enthused to play the new songs, and for people to hear Englund's renditions of their older ones. "We're so excited to take this music on the road – it's been too long since we were able to play out. And then shortly after Progpower, I imagine I'll return to writing new material. I've got some concepts for songs forming already, and my goal is to have much less time pass in between records this time out."
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #768 on: May 15, 2018, 11:20:24 AM »
Sounds good but I'm going to miss Rey. I wasn't a huge fan of The Art of Loss which seemed bland and it's clear the band needed a change. This band had an amazing run between Fullness of Time and Snowfall on Judgement day. After two weaker releases I hope this album gets them back to their top potential.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #769 on: May 15, 2018, 11:22:07 AM »
I'm giving the new song a little time to sink in before forming an opinion, but I gotta say the artwork kicks ass!!  Also, I'm happy to hear they are planning to tour. :)