Author Topic: The official Redemption thread v. I Am the Storm - March 17th 2023  (Read 143189 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: The official Redemption thread
« Reply #560 on: February 26, 2016, 11:36:57 AM »
A big step up from This Mortal Coil, in my opinion - that one had a few really great songs like Noonday Devil or Dreams from the Pit, but also quite a few songs that I didn't like all that much (Perfect, Begin Again and Focus, mainly).

Wow, really?  Not saying your feelings toward This Mortal Coil aren't legit.  I am just surprised at your reaction because (1) I can't remember ever seeing the album criticized, other than production/sound (which is a criticism I share); and (2) the songs you mention not liking are some of my favorites.  Oh well.  :dunno:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #561 on: February 26, 2016, 11:55:24 AM »
It's been a while since my last listen, so maybe that has changed, but I found the album to be pretty lackluster around that stretch of songs, even though it opens and closes very strongly.

Also the sound doesn't help, you're right about that, but I'm generally not too bothered about production (unless it's really good or really really bad, chances are that I won't even notice it, and even then, the impact it has on my enjoyment is pretty slim in almost all cases). The Art of Loss does sound notably better though.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #562 on: February 26, 2016, 11:59:27 AM »
Yeah, production generally does not bother me much either unless it is extreme.  Some of the few examples I cite are And Justice For All (different from the other examples, as the problem with this one is, obviously, just the fact that it is very flat), Death Magnetic (brickwalled and loud to the point it is fatiguing to listen to), Queensryche (the recent self-titled; brickwalled and loud, but significantly less so than Death Magnetic or This Mortal Coil, to the point where I notice it only occasionally), and This Mortal Coil (brickwalled and loud to the point where it sometimes interferes with my enjoyment of the album).
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #563 on: February 26, 2016, 12:55:25 PM »
I was very critical of This Mortal Coil, but even upon first listen I still enjoyed the songs. I was just very nitpicky. Eventually it grew on me, and I love it now. Besides Damaged, The Art of Loss didn't do much for me at all.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #564 on: February 26, 2016, 01:24:45 PM »
I've heard the first couple of songs and thought they sounded pretty good.

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #565 on: February 26, 2016, 03:48:03 PM »
Wow, just wow....  My expectations for this album have totally been exceeded.  I can see this having the potential of becoming my favorite Redemption album, but obviously only time will tell, I need many more listens to determine.  I'm pretty sure I like it better than Snowfall and Mortal Coil, but Origins of Ruin is hard to beat (not ignoring the other two, just comparing the new only to my other favorites).

Upon just a couple of listens, so first impressions only, my fav songs so far are Thirty Silver, That Golden Light, and Slouching Towards Bethlehem.  That Golden Light, in particular, hit some kind of nerve in me and moves me like no song has moved me in a very long time.  Can't wait to hear again and again.

Offline Randaran

• The Fate of Destruction is also the Joy of Rebirth
« Reply #566 on: February 27, 2016, 08:06:38 AM »
I've given the album a few more spins, and it hasn't clicked as much as I would have liked. I'm still not worried, as I didn't like the first half of Snowfall or even Sapphires the first few times I heard them.

Right now, my ranking is as follows:

The Fullness of Time
This Mortal Coil
Snowfall on Judgement Day
The Art of Loss
The Origins of Ruin

Redemption
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol
My anime can beat up your anime.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #567 on: February 27, 2016, 05:43:39 PM »
Listened for the second time today. "Thirty Silver," wow. What a song. What a chorus. I'll be singing that for days!
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #568 on: February 29, 2016, 06:35:15 AM »
Just finished my first listen and I'm underwhelmed. Something just seems off compared to their other albums. Sounds like there is more filler than on a usual Redemption album. We'll see it if it grows over the next few listens.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #569 on: February 29, 2016, 08:47:15 AM »
Awesome cd. And I for one love that cover version.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #570 on: February 29, 2016, 08:54:25 AM »
The production is great. Ray sounds great. The melodies just aren't there. This really doesn't sound like a Redemption album. Damaged, Thirty Silver and That Golden Light are great, but nothing else really does anything for me.

I was very critical of This Mortal Coil, but even so, I did enjoy all the songs, and the album really grew on me. The Art of Loss just isn't doing it at all.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #571 on: February 29, 2016, 09:27:52 AM »
The production is great. Ray sounds great. The melodies just aren't there. This really doesn't sound like a Redemption album. Damaged, Thirty Silver and That Golden Light are great, but nothing else really does anything for me.

I was very critical of This Mortal Coil, but even so, I did enjoy all the songs, and the album really grew on me. The Art of Loss just isn't doing it at all.

Just finished listen number 2, and this is where I'm leaning. I'll say I also enjoy the epic, but you hit nail on the head in regards to lack of melodies. Don't love the production. Better than TMC but not as good as previous albums. Also, a lot of the songs sound like rehashed versions of other better songs from their previous albums. Not sure if this is due to Bernie's absence or if Nick is just starting to run out of ideas. I'll give it a couple of more spins before I move on.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #572 on: February 29, 2016, 11:33:18 AM »
My only critique of the album at this early stage is that I'd love for them to throw in an acoustic tune to let the album "breathe," for lack of a better word.  I felt the same way about This Mortal Coil, although that album had "Let It Rain."  Other than that, I still need more time to sink my teeth into the album.   
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #573 on: February 29, 2016, 11:43:11 AM »
I listened to the album on a drive on Friday, and I was really disappointed.  I loved the last two albums immensely.  But this one just leaves me cold.  Every song felt like it had some good parts, but then just ultimately fell flat and ended up feeling incoherent by the end, with the exception of 30 Silver and the cover song.  A big part of it to me was Ray.  His vocal melodies felt uninspired and uninteresting, his delivery felt flat and lacked passion, and he often seemed to be off key.  I am most decidedly NOT a fan of John Bush.  But he at least delivered a vocal performance on the cover that was the polar opposite of what Ray delivered on the album.  I'm not really sure what the deal is with this one, but it didn't do it for me at all.  This band has been so consistently good that I am not willing to write of the album so quickly.  Maybe I just wasn't in the right headspace when I heard it.  I dunno.  But I was definitely disappointed.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #574 on: February 29, 2016, 11:53:15 AM »
I'm seeing a lot of negativity here, and I can't quite understand that, because I love this album immensely. Even the epic, which I found pretty disjointed initially has grow on me. While I do think that it starts out a little slowly (the title track is brilliant, but I'm not a big fan of Slouching Towards Bethlehem and Damaged, though both are still good), the run of songs from Hope Dies Last to The Center of the Fire is basically perfect.

Big :metal for the band for such a great album!
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #575 on: February 29, 2016, 11:58:48 AM »
Just finished listen 4.

Easily my least favorite Redemption album. I removed the 3 7 minute songs (bethlaham, hope dies last, and fire...) as they just didn't click with me. The rest of the songs are good but the only true gem for me is That Golden Light. The rest are okay, but nothing new or fresh. Honestly, I think they peaked with Snowfall on Judgement Day.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #576 on: February 29, 2016, 12:12:57 PM »
I listened to the album on a drive on Friday, and I was really disappointed.  I loved the last two albums immensely.  But this one just leaves me cold.  Every song felt like it had some good parts, but then just ultimately fell flat and ended up feeling incoherent by the end, with the exception of 30 Silver and the cover song.  A big part of it to me was Ray.  His vocal melodies felt uninspired and uninteresting, his delivery felt flat and lacked passion, and he often seemed to be off key.  I am most decidedly NOT a fan of John Bush.  But he at least delivered a vocal performance on the cover that was the polar opposite of what Ray delivered on the album.  I'm not really sure what the deal is with this one, but it didn't do it for me at all.  This band has been so consistently good that I am not willing to write of the album so quickly.  Maybe I just wasn't in the right headspace when I heard it.  I dunno.  But I was definitely disappointed.

That's what I forgot to add. Although Ray sounds great voice wise, his vocal melodies and delivery are BLAH.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #577 on: February 29, 2016, 12:52:49 PM »
I'm seeing a lot of negativity here, and I can't quite understand that, because I love this album immensely.

I dunno, Scrop.  I really want to love this album.  I love the last two albums, and I had really high hopes for this one.  Heck, the song titles alone are some of the most interesting song titles I have ever seen.  But when I listened to it, I just could not get into it.  Not sure why.  I am hoping my opinion changes.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #578 on: February 29, 2016, 01:09:43 PM »
Two listens in and I have some mixed feelings about it to. Bosk, as you say, the first thing that came to mind was how bland Ray sounded. I don't know if it's him, the vocal melodies, or maybe the lyrics.

As per the lyrics, I don't want to disparage them completely because you can tell how intensely personal these are to Nick, but man, I feel I've heard all of these songs before lyrically. They are so emo and sappy. So much boo hoo hooing.

The last track is awesome, musically One of my favorite things they've done.

The other thing about this album is that there seems to be a little more straightforwardness in the music. Maybe it has caught people off guard a little.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #579 on: February 29, 2016, 02:08:51 PM »
This album sure has a lot of recycled melodies. I wonder if it's intentional.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #580 on: February 29, 2016, 02:11:24 PM »
This album sure has a lot of recycled melodies. I wonder if it's intentional.

It's been that way for several albums, more so with the riffs. I've been able to look passed it though because the songs were so good.

Your name is amazing.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #581 on: March 01, 2016, 07:55:35 AM »
What is Slouching Toward Jerusalem about?  I have read the lyrics a few times, and still have no clue.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #582 on: March 01, 2016, 09:29:26 AM »
What is Slouching Toward Jerusalem about?  I have read the lyrics a few times, and still have no clue.

Might have to do with this Yeats' poem, which parallels some of the lyrics and ends with the phrase "Slouching toward Bethlehem."

Poem link: https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poem/172062

And here's an analysis of that poem, which I found on another website.

Analysis link: https://www.sparknotes.com/poetry/yeats/section5.rhtml
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 09:43:14 AM by Mebert78 »

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #583 on: March 01, 2016, 12:34:45 PM »
I'm seeing a lot of negativity here, and I can't quite understand that, because I love this album immensely. Even the epic, which I found pretty disjointed initially has grow on me. While I do think that it starts out a little slowly (the title track is brilliant, but I'm not a big fan of Slouching Towards Bethlehem and Damaged, though both are still good), the run of songs from Hope Dies Last to The Center of the Fire is basically perfect.

Big :metal for the band for such a great album!

I'm with you on loving the album.  I can't stop listening to it.  The only songs I'm lukewarm to are the title track, and Hope Dies Last.  They're still good, just not as good as the rest.  The rest of the album is killer.

Side note: some people were talking about the lyrics.  Random unrelated short rant...  I think it's annoying that if you buy a complete album MP3 on amazon that it rarely includes the digital booklet.  Why wouldn't it always?  It wouldn't cost anybody anything!!!!  But buying the album (physical copy) versus buying the Mp3 after shipping would be nearly double the cost, so I went the Mp3 route.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #584 on: March 01, 2016, 12:49:20 PM »
Side note: some people were talking about the lyrics.  Random unrelated short rant...  I think it's annoying that if you buy a complete album MP3 on amazon that it rarely includes the digital booklet.  Why wouldn't it always?  It wouldn't cost anybody anything!!!!  But buying the album (physical copy) versus buying the Mp3 after shipping would be nearly double the cost, so I went the Mp3 route.

:clap:

I'm with you completely. I have no idea why there cannot be a digital booklet. Actually the last WASP album came with one. I'm probably buying Amazon mp3's 50% of the time now.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #585 on: March 01, 2016, 12:52:07 PM »
FYI, just noticed that Nick posted this on Coverkiller Nation's YouTube review  about the meaning of "Slouching Towards Bethlehem":

"For what it's worth, Slouching Towards Bethlehem is based on the Yeats poem "The Second Coming" which was about the horrors of the world Post WW1. Things haven't gotten much better since then, sadly. And "Thirty Silver" does indeed invoke the biblical story of Judas as a powerful visual metaphor of betrayal. There's no particular spiritual bent to either song, although there is an undercurrent of positivity beneath the melancholy which I think is one of our hallmarks."

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kp8q4SZ7NWQ

Also, on a separate note, there seems to be a two-disc version of the album available with four bonus tracks?  It wasn't aware of that.

Link: https://www.amazon.com/Art-Loss-Redemption/dp/B01AISRWX6/ref=tmm_acd_title_1?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1456856102&sr=1-1
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 07:55:26 PM by Mebert78 »

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #586 on: March 02, 2016, 11:17:18 PM »
There's nothing that special on CD2.
Two more versions of Thirty Silver and one more of the title track and a ballad.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #587 on: March 03, 2016, 04:52:59 AM »
Probably not worth it considering the price either.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Connoseur of love
« Reply #588 on: March 03, 2016, 05:09:45 AM »
I have it on order...3 remixes and a bonus track...meh...
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #589 on: March 03, 2016, 06:19:02 AM »
This album is a grower. Each listen gets better than the previous one.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Connoseur of love
« Reply #590 on: March 03, 2016, 06:58:58 AM »
The mix/sound is perfect. I do agree I've heard better songs from them with more emotional depth, but I really like Hope dies last, That golden light, and Thirty silver. The epic's cool as well.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #591 on: March 03, 2016, 08:23:19 AM »
This album is a grower. Each listen gets better than the previous one.

I've been thinking the same thing.  With every listen I find myself appreciating each song more and more.  Right now, I'm totally obsessed with "The Center of the Fire."  It reminds me of DT's "The Ministry of Lost Souls" a little bit, tempo-wise and stuff.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #592 on: March 03, 2016, 08:33:02 AM »
It reminds me of DT's "The Ministry of Lost Souls"

That seals it.  I will never like this album.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #593 on: March 03, 2016, 09:08:24 AM »
Also, this album doesn't feel like it's mixed in your face.

Offline Randaran

• The Fate of Destruction is also the Joy of Rebirth
« Reply #594 on: March 03, 2016, 09:52:49 AM »
Yeah, this album has gotten a lot better over the last few listens. My favorite track at this point is either Damaged or Thirty Silver.
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol
My anime can beat up your anime.