Author Topic: The official Redemption thread v. I Am the Storm - March 17th 2023  (Read 143329 times)

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
Re: The official Redemption thread
« Reply #385 on: October 07, 2014, 12:40:13 PM »
That really sucks. Hope he gets better soon.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #386 on: October 07, 2014, 02:21:47 PM »
Bloody hell this is awful.  Hopefully he recovers well.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #387 on: October 07, 2014, 10:43:49 PM »
Hopefully he has Nyk's fighting spirit too.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #388 on: October 22, 2014, 08:20:41 AM »
Although similar things have been said countless times in the past, it just seems necessary to reiterate that Snowfall and This Mortal Coil are about as close to musical perfection as you can get.  That is all.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #389 on: October 22, 2014, 08:32:49 AM »
Although similar things have been said countless times in the past, it just seems necessary to reiterate that Snowfall and This Mortal Coil are about as close to musical perfection as you can get.  That is all.
Yes they are!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #390 on: October 22, 2014, 08:55:33 AM »
I am listening to This Moral Coil this morning and am reminded again how deep and touching the lyrics are, and how complex and beautiful the music is.  The only problem I have with the album is that the production makes the album overwhelming and fatiguing to listen to at the appropriately ludicrious volume it calls for.  Not sure if it is the mix and just bringing too much of everything to the forefront, if it is the mastering and the fact that it is just mastered too hot and loud, or maybe a combination of both.  This is one of the few times you will ever hear me complain about production, but here, it's a shame because it makes me listen to this album far less than the album deserves.

The covers are also very well done.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #391 on: October 22, 2014, 09:03:55 AM »
I am listening to This Moral Coil this morning and am reminded again how deep and touching the lyrics are, and how complex and beautiful the music is.  The only problem I have with the album is that the production makes the album overwhelming and fatiguing to listen to at the appropriately ludicrious volume it calls for.  Not sure if it is the mix and just bringing too much of everything to the forefront, if it is the mastering and the fact that it is just mastered too hot and loud, or maybe a combination of both.  This is one of the few times you will ever hear me complain about production, but here, it's a shame because it makes me listen to this album far less than the album deserves.

The covers are also very well done.

Yeah, I agree with all of that completely. I was actually going to add to my post that I also don't listen to these albums nearly as much as I'd like to, but when I pull out something like This Mortal Coil, it's hard to imagine music that is really better than it. Still like you said, it's incredible taxing to get through it for some reason.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #392 on: October 22, 2014, 09:16:38 AM »
As I contemplate the above post, it just struck me that perhaps the above was intentional.  I remember reading an interview with Chris DeGarmo a long time ago about the guitar tone, mixing, and mastering choices that went into Operation: Mindcrime.  Given the topic, he wanted the overall sonic experience to be jarring, biting, and caustic, because that is actually fitting.  There, it worked.  We tend to forget how jarring the production is on that album because it came out so long ago that we are used to it.  I wonder if perhaps Nick was going for something similar here.  It would certainly fit.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #393 on: October 22, 2014, 11:42:55 AM »
As I recall, Nick had been wanting a certain guy for mixing for a long time, and he finally got him for This Mortal Coil. He liked the way he mixes albums and wanted that same kind of tone for his.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #394 on: October 22, 2014, 12:48:46 PM »
I think you're talking about Neil Kernon, who I believe mixed the album.  He also did Queensryche's Rage for Order back in the day.  I was a little unhappy with the mix on This Mortal Coil, but I love the songs.  There are some real gems are there, musically and lyrically.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #395 on: October 22, 2014, 12:56:44 PM »
I think you're talking about Neil Kernon, who I believe mixed the album.  He also did Queensryche's Rage for Order back in the day.  I was a little unhappy with the mix on This Mortal Coil, but I love the songs.  There are some real gems are there, musically and lyrically.

Yeah, I remember TMC being called the modern day Rage For Order. I don't get the comparison though. Either way, he kinda missed the mark mix-wise.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #396 on: October 22, 2014, 01:01:17 PM »

Yeah, I remember TMC being called the modern day Rage For Order. I don't get the comparison though. 
Neither do I. Who the heck would call it that?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #397 on: October 22, 2014, 01:07:23 PM »

Yeah, I remember TMC being called the modern day Rage For Order. I don't get the comparison though. 
Probably Neil Kernon.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #398 on: October 22, 2014, 01:09:26 PM »
Anyhow, listening to these two albums has me sorely lamenting that Nick doesn't devote more attention to the band and make them a full-time pursuit.  But then again, I guess if he did, we wouldn't have new Star Wars movies, so...  :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #399 on: October 22, 2014, 01:26:36 PM »

Probably Neil Kernon.
Wow, that would be lame.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #400 on: October 23, 2014, 04:58:08 AM »
I wonder how Bernie is doing.  :(

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #401 on: November 03, 2014, 11:00:11 AM »
Got to watch some of Live From The Pit over the weekend.  A few general impressions:

-Given how relatively little these guys play together, they sound pretty tight.
-Given how epic the music is, these guys look pretty disinterested and board onstage.  In particular, the keyboard player showed zero enthusiasm or emotional at all, and I have to say that Ray Alder is a good singer, but a decidedly poor front man.
-Love the sentiment behind the brief "Fallen but not forgotten" tribute during Stronger Than Death.  The crowd went nuts when they showed Dio.  The "cancer is my b*tch" caption also made me chuckle.

Unfortunately, this is something I probably will not watch very often.  But the performance was decent, and it is good to have a somewhat current live video of the band, especially given the near impossibility of actually seeing them live since they so rarely play.

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #402 on: November 03, 2014, 11:11:46 AM »

According to Ray on Facebook, Bernie's slowly getting out of his coma. Unfortunately, it sounds like it's going to be a long recovery process for him though.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #403 on: November 04, 2014, 04:08:42 AM »

According to Ray on Facebook, Bernie's slowly getting out of his coma. Unfortunately, it sounds like it's going to be a long recovery process for him though.

That's awful.  I guess the positive thing is he is progressing in the right direction slowly.

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #404 on: November 04, 2014, 07:52:35 AM »

That's awful.  I guess the positive thing is he is progressing in the right direction slowly.

Indeed. Hopefully he'll pull through without any serious issues.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #405 on: June 09, 2015, 04:16:44 PM »
Not to overlook Bernie's condition, but...

Just listening to some more Redemption this afternoon, and thus wanted to give the band some more props.  Listening to The Fullness of Time right now.  This was a pretty late acquisition for me (I think I found it late last year).  I got into the band with Snowfall, and never went back and got their older stuff.  This is a VERY good album.  I like it maybe just a shade less than the last two.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #406 on: June 09, 2015, 04:18:40 PM »
A great album by a great band. Still cannot figure out why I don't rate them higher than I do.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #407 on: June 09, 2015, 04:21:07 PM »
I know for me, it's mostly their lack of output and the resulting feeling that they are more of a "project" or "hobby" than a "full-fledged band."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #408 on: June 09, 2015, 04:26:41 PM »
Yeah, maybe.

I think it's something more though. As great as the music is, I still have trouble soaking it in. I've heard the albums many times, but for some reason, it all runs together. I'm probably not making sense because when I'm listening to them, it's actually hard to imagine anything better.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #409 on: June 10, 2015, 01:47:54 AM »
Fullness of time is a fantastic record. I rate it one of their best.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #410 on: June 10, 2015, 02:20:24 AM »
I got into the band with This mortal Coil and worked my way back. Fullness of Time eventually became my favourite.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #411 on: June 10, 2015, 11:19:04 AM »
Damnit I thought this meant that there was a Bernie update.  The lack of news has me concerned for him. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #412 on: June 10, 2015, 11:24:40 AM »
Okay, but some of us actually want to discuss the band's MUSIC.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #413 on: June 10, 2015, 11:28:39 AM »
I didn't mean to imply you weren't allowed.  Like I said, the lack of news is easier to interpret as bad rather than good.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #414 on: June 11, 2015, 12:25:26 AM »
I didn't mean to imply you weren't allowed.  Like I said, the lack of news is easier to interpret as bad rather than good.

That's how I feel as well. I listened to Origins of Ruin at work tonight, and I started wondering about him again as well.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline Phantasmatron

• Peanut Butter Advocate and Jelly Enthusiast
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What the Jenkins?!
« Reply #415 on: June 11, 2015, 06:08:18 AM »
Yeah, maybe.

I think it's something more though. As great as the music is, I still have trouble soaking it in. I've heard the albums many times, but for some reason, it all runs together. I'm probably not making sense because when I'm listening to them, it's actually hard to imagine anything better.

I have the same problem.  Maybe it's because they have a distinctively dense sound or something, but for the longest time, all their songs ran together and if I read through the tracklisting, I'd have trouble remembering which was which.  With a couple of their albums that I listen to less than the others, this is still a big problem for me. 

But when I'm listening to them...who cares, it's awesome.

Offline Randaran

• The Fate of Destruction is also the Joy of Rebirth
« Reply #416 on: June 11, 2015, 06:20:54 AM »
Fullness of Time is my favorite album of theirs, though the three albums that follow are almost as good.

Now, I have yet to listen to the self-titled. What would be the best way to obtain a copy? I cannot find any listings on eBay, and the least expensive Amazon listing is $20-25.
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol
My anime can beat up your anime.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #417 on: June 11, 2015, 08:58:24 AM »
Snowfall is their only album that gets repeated listens. 
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #418 on: June 12, 2015, 08:55:46 PM »
The only two cd's that I have listened to are Snowfall and Mortal Coil.  Will have to check out the other cd's.  Snowfall is easily in my top 10 cd's of all time.

Hoping that Bernie gets well soon!
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline Randaran

• The Fate of Destruction is also the Joy of Rebirth
« Reply #419 on: June 12, 2015, 09:04:51 PM »
The only two cd's that I have listened to are Snowfall and Mortal Coil.  Will have to check out the other cd's.  Snowfall is easily in my top 10 cd's of all time.

Hoping that Bernie gets well soon!

Definitely listen to Fullness and Origins. I was in the same situation as you, and then listened to those two. The first half of The Origins of Ruin rivals a good portion of those two records, and The Fullness of Time is hands-down their best.
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol
My anime can beat up your anime.