Author Topic: The official Redemption thread v. I Am the Storm - March 17th 2023  (Read 142916 times)

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Redemption - This Mortal Coil (Out now!)
« Reply #210 on: October 21, 2011, 11:13:58 AM »
After listening to the new album more, it has definitely grown on me. The first half of the album, which I initially thought was weaker, actually has a lot of songs standing out more and more. Great stuff.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #211 on: October 21, 2011, 11:16:08 AM »
I wish I could make a video with all this stuff to show you, but I'm sure Bosk would devour my soul if I did. It's not important, but some of the things you said you couldn't hear similarities for I feel I MUST SHOW YOU!!!!

I'm cool with it if they are limited clips, as long as Nick doesn't mind.

Personally, I get a VERY strong Symphony X vibe from Dream From The Pit.  I'm not saying there is anything wrong with it in the least, or that it was intentional, or that I can even point to a specific song.  But it just reminds me very strongly of the typical Symphony X sound.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #212 on: October 21, 2011, 11:17:09 AM »
After listening to the new album more, it has definitely grown on me. The first half of the album, which I initially thought was weaker, actually has a lot of songs standing out more and more. Great stuff.

It's grown on me A LOT!  Yesterday, on the drive home (35 minute commute), I just listened to Stronger Than Death over and over.  Such a powerful song. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #213 on: October 21, 2011, 11:21:27 AM »
I wish I could make a video with all this stuff to show you, but I'm sure Bosk would devour my soul if I did. It's not important, but some of the things you said you couldn't hear similarities for I feel I MUST SHOW YOU!!!!

Personally, I get a VERY strong Symphony X vibe from Dream From The Pit.  I'm not saying there is anything wrong with it in the least, or that it was intentional, or that I can even point to a specific song.  But it just reminds me very strongly of the typical Symphony X sound.
There's a huge Sym X vibe, especially in the first 4 songs.
I even sense some Anthrax, especially the verse to Path Of The Whirlwind. There's another point in the album, I can't remember where..I also felt a strong Anthrax vibe.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #214 on: October 21, 2011, 11:25:56 AM »

Awesome! I'll get started. :zook2:

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #215 on: October 21, 2011, 12:27:00 PM »
Wow, really cool that Nic responded to Zook.  A lot of musicians would just duck the discussion, but he went ahead and candidly responded in a polite way.  Very nice.  I checked out the Path/Peel similarity and I hear it, but I didn't go any further.  An occasional similarity is fine to me, as long as it's not a full song. 

I'm still listening to the disc nonstop.  I haven't even gotten to the covers disc yet.  I'm enjoying disc one too much.  But I wonder why Ray didn't participate in the funny photo shoot?!  Lol.   
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #216 on: October 21, 2011, 03:16:37 PM »
Been working on my video and would have had A LOT more done than I do, but Windows Movie Maker keeps crashing, so I think that's enough for today.

Bloody hell.

Offline Beowulf

« Reply #217 on: October 21, 2011, 03:35:41 PM »
Nick,

You rock.  Thanks for your input in your responses to Zook.  VERY good reading!!

Ever thought of rerecording the first album with Ray?
You can lead a horticulture, but you can't make her think.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #218 on: October 21, 2011, 05:47:23 PM »

This.  The first five tracks just slay.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #219 on: October 21, 2011, 10:17:25 PM »
Nick,

You rock.  Thanks for your input in your responses to Zook.  VERY good reading!!

I must be the only person who has grown to love Rick Mythiasin's voice over time. Seriously, I could not get into the first album for the longest time because of that, but one day it just clicked. Never could get into Steel Prophet, though.

Though I guess if Ray did all the vocals, it would still be pretty damn good. Production would probably be better, anyway.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #220 on: October 22, 2011, 06:34:00 AM »
Just posting to say that this album is currently dominating my CD player.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #221 on: October 23, 2011, 04:48:30 AM »
Been working on my video and would have had A LOT more done than I do, but Windows Movie Maker keeps crashing, so I think that's enough for today.

Bloody hell.

I'm actually looking forward to this mate.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #222 on: October 23, 2011, 06:04:55 AM »
I'm gonna redo the audio track in Audacity so there wont be so much shit going on in WMM and causing it to crash, sooo it will be a lil longer.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #223 on: October 25, 2011, 03:51:52 AM »
Nick,

I must be the only person who has grown to love Rick Mythiasin's voice over time. Seriously, I could not get into the first album for the longest time because of that, but one day it just clicked. Never could get into Steel Prophet, though.

Though I guess if Ray did all the vocals, it would still be pretty damn good. Production would probably be better, anyway.

I'm with you man, it's not that bad at all.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #224 on: October 25, 2011, 06:44:19 AM »

Yep...after a week it's the same story here...

Offline As I Am

• Banned
« Reply #225 on: October 25, 2011, 11:47:10 AM »

Yep...after a week it's the same story here...

:metal :hefdaddy :tup

Offline Beowulf

« Reply #226 on: October 25, 2011, 02:07:36 PM »
Nick,

I just can't seem, for the time being, to really get into the first album.  Though don't misunderstand me.  I have no problems with Rick.  I just LOVE Ray's voice.  To me there is much more emotion. :'(  I just think it would be cool to hear Ray singing those songs.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #227 on: October 25, 2011, 02:33:56 PM »
I don't like the first album as much as I do the next three, but that has nothing to do with Rick Mythiason (sp?) who I love. His work on the classic Steel Prophet albums is incredible and he delivers a great performance on Redemption.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #228 on: October 25, 2011, 07:51:52 PM »
The debut is the only album I have never heard from them.  I really should check it out.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Connoseur of love
« Reply #229 on: October 26, 2011, 02:20:05 AM »
Nick,

I just can't seem, for the time being, to really get into the first album.  Though don't misunderstand me.  I have no problems with Rick.  I just LOVE Ray's voice.  To me there is much more emotion. :'(  I just think it would be cool to hear Ray singing those songs.

I'm thinking it has to do with there being way 'too many words' in the longer songs. But I like the concept of doing songs about those books like hell. I mean, Something wicked this way comes' must be the most badass 'kids' story I've read in a long time... But 'Desperation' suffers from too much story, really. NOTHING bad about the music thogh, and the I've dug the hell out of the shorter songs on there as well. 'Nocturne' is till one of my fave Redemption songs. 
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline nvandyk

« Reply #230 on: October 27, 2011, 10:59:43 AM »
Hey folks!

Regarding the video, Zook, I wanted to put some ground rules in place...hope it's not too late.   I don't mind you comparing Redemption songs to other Redemption songs but I don't want clips of other bands in there.   Secondly, I don't want changes to keys or to tempos.   

Regarding the first record, I think it's so far from the rest of our catalog in terms of the approach to songwriting, performance and everything else...I'm content to let it recede into the distance.  I like Ray's performance of Nocturnal on the live CD; I suppose it is conceivable we could pull out part of Something Wicked (probably an instrumental section) in a concert one day.  I don't anticipate going back to re-record it...it's more like Symphony X's first one than it is like When Dream And Day Unite, for example.

I'm happy to hear that many of you are enjoying our new CD!  For the King Diamond avatar dude, you should pick it up, both because (1) it sounds nothing like the debut and is much better, and (2) I dress up like King Diamond for the covers CD.  :)

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #231 on: October 27, 2011, 11:26:55 AM »
Hey folks!

Regarding the video, Zook, I wanted to put some ground rules in place...hope it's not too late.   I don't mind you comparing Redemption songs to other Redemption songs but I don't want clips of other bands in there.   Secondly, I don't want changes to keys or to tempos.   

Regarding the first record, I think it's so far from the rest of our catalog in terms of the approach to songwriting, performance and everything else...I'm content to let it recede into the distance.  I like Ray's performance of Nocturnal on the live CD; I suppose it is conceivable we could pull out part of Something Wicked (probably an instrumental section) in a concert one day.  I don't anticipate going back to re-record it...it's more like Symphony X's first one than it is like When Dream And Day Unite, for example.

I'm happy to hear that many of you are enjoying our new CD!  For the King Diamond avatar dude, you should pick it up, both because (1) it sounds nothing like the debut and is much better, and (2) I dress up like King Diamond for the covers CD.  :)

No problemo, Nick. Please don't hate me after I post it. :D I actually put the video on hold for a little bit to work on KrotchRaut stuff. That's my band, maybe you've heard us... :zook2:  Also, I like Desperation Part III and Nocturnal, but that's about it. I do own the first CD for collectors sake though. I'd actually like Symphony X to rerecord the first album 'cause Masquerade turned out awesome. Granted that's probably the best song on there (I haven't listened to it probably since I bought it in 2006) but I'd still be interested. It's too late for WDADU to be rerecorded. They should have done that after Images and Words.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #232 on: October 27, 2011, 03:41:50 PM »

Hey Nick, yeah, I meant that your debut is the only album I haven't got, the rest are brilliant, and TMC is spending so much time in the cd player.  Also, the cover cd booklet was funny as hell.  You got the King Diamond facial expressions mastered well.  :lol

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #233 on: October 27, 2011, 07:57:21 PM »
Nick, how do you feel about bootlegs and YouTube videos, 'cause I found some amazing performances of you guys on YouTube that I'd love to post here.

Also, I know Arizona sucks, but you guys need to come back here PRONTO!!!

Offline Panic Attacker

« Reply #234 on: October 27, 2011, 08:33:18 PM »
So cool to see Nick posting around here again.

I find the first album to be incredible. It took a few listens to grow on me, but now, it is my 3rd favorite, behind Fullness and Origins.

Also, Nick, you're my favorite lyricist. Sapphire and Memory in particular are masterpieces.

Offline Phantasmatron

• Peanut Butter Advocate and Jelly Enthusiast
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What the Jenkins?!
« Reply #235 on: October 27, 2011, 10:16:38 PM »
I'd just like to add my comment to all the others about how cool it is that Nick posts here and is happy to involve himself in discussions with his fans.  :tup

And also to echo Panic Attacker about Sapphire and Memory being masterpieces.  Memory is the song that first got me hooked on Redemption and Sapphire is one of my favorite songs of all time.  (inb4 kanye meme)

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #236 on: October 27, 2011, 10:19:16 PM »
I'd just like to add my comment to all the others about how cool it is that Nick posts here and is happy to involve himself in discussions with his fans.  :tup

I am honored, and you're welcome. ;)
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Phantasmatron

• Peanut Butter Advocate and Jelly Enthusiast
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What the Jenkins?!
« Reply #237 on: October 27, 2011, 10:50:57 PM »
Dammit Nick!

Offline Beowulf

« Reply #238 on: October 28, 2011, 12:41:45 PM »
I agree with Zook in regards to the YouTube vids.  Just amazing.  The vid of Black and White World truly emphasizes the epicness (epicality? epicalidocious?) of the song overall.  The ending section with Nick and Ray singing together runs chills down my spine.  The intense lyrics of that song still can bring tears to my eyes.  Ray's emotions are incredible.

And for those naysayers, give some of the vids a listen.  Ray sounds incredible!   Yes, his voice sounded a bit rough on the concert DVD/CD "Frozen in Time", but that video also has no overdubs or anything to take away from the excitement and the electric feel of the show as a whole.

Just my two cents.  Can I have my change?

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #239 on: November 05, 2011, 10:49:56 AM »
I agree with Zook in regards to the YouTube vids.  Just amazing.  The vid of Black and White World truly emphasizes the epicness (epicality? epicalidocious?) of the song overall.  The ending section with Nick and Ray singing together runs chills down my spine.  The intense lyrics of that song still can bring tears to my eyes.  Ray's emotions are incredible.

And for those naysayers, give some of the vids a listen.  Ray sounds incredible!   Yes, his voice sounded a bit rough on the concert DVD/CD "Frozen in Time", but that video also has no overdubs or anything to take away from the excitement and the electric feel of the show as a whole.

Just my two cents.  Can I have my change?

"Frozen In The Moment" 

NO CHANGE FO YU! ;)

Offline Cyclopssss

• Connoseur of love
« Reply #240 on: November 07, 2011, 04:20:30 AM »
+ 1000 on all the comments about 'Saphire'. Goddamnit, I can't even begin to tell in how many ways that song hits close to home with me. I've been trying to write a song like that for ages, but Nick just said it all about that subject in that song. Also, Memory is probably my second fave Redemption song for the same reason.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #241 on: November 07, 2011, 01:55:57 PM »
This album has held up really well over the last 6-8 weeks.  Every song has pretty much opened up to me and I can see the value and quality in every song.  A fantastic piece of work.  I still don't think it's as good as Snowfall yet but it's a hell of a follow up.

Offline Beowulf

« Reply #242 on: November 08, 2011, 08:40:14 AM »
 :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:
Dammit.  Frozen in the MOMENT.  I knew that.  Just a brain-fart.  I'm getting old and forgetful, I guess.  Or just old and stupid.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #243 on: November 08, 2011, 08:47:10 AM »
This album is still kicking my ass sideways.  I think I'd have to put it in second place, just behind "The Fullness of Time" which I consider an absolute masterpiece.  So if I were to rank the albums, my list would go like this:

1. The Fullness of Time
2. This Mortal Coil
3. Snowfall on Judgement Day
4. The Origin of Ruin
5. Redemption

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
  • Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #244 on: November 08, 2011, 08:58:44 AM »
I am really hummed that this album is not clicking with me.   It is prob at bottom right now.    Snowfall was such a masterpiece