Author Topic: The official Redemption thread v. I Am the Storm - March 17th 2023  (Read 142191 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The official Redemption thread v. Long Night's Journey Into Day - July 27th
« Reply #1085 on: October 15, 2018, 07:03:02 PM »
 :metal
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1086 on: October 15, 2018, 07:47:15 PM »
And Little Men is wonderful.  I want to thank Nick for writing this song and especially the lyrics.  Not sure what it's based on, I'm guessing political but I look at the lyrics from my situation at work and what I'm going through with so many 'little men', that are backstabbing, double crossing scum suckers with no self respect or pride in my organisation.  These lyrics fire me up and get me going and keep me on track. They are so relateable it's not funny.

The lyrics to Indulge in Color are also motivating, beautiful and uplifting. 
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #1087 on: October 16, 2018, 07:19:37 AM »
Had my music on shuffle last night while throwing darts and Echo Chamber came on. Man that song rocks and then the vocals started. Tom's voice just doesn't do it for me. I'm going to spin the album again today and see if my opinion changes at all.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1088 on: October 16, 2018, 08:08:22 AM »
I agree.  It has replaced The Astonishing for being my usual go-to when I am riding my bike home from work, so I get to really immerse myself in the album and am enjoying it quite a bit.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1089 on: October 18, 2018, 05:39:48 AM »
Two weeks straight in the car and still loving it.  The lyrics to the title track are incredible.  I'd love to hear Nick's origins behind a lot of the lyrics on this album, they are just what I needed at this current time.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1090 on: October 18, 2018, 08:12:09 AM »
He gets into some of that in that long interview that is posted a couple of pages back.  I would check that out. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1091 on: October 18, 2018, 04:28:03 PM »
He gets into some of that in that long interview that is posted a couple of pages back.  I would check that out.

Will do, thanks bosk.  I guess I missed a bit of the hype since I only got the album 2 weeks ago.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #1092 on: November 13, 2018, 09:01:10 AM »
So I somehow missed this album completely this summer.

Currently listening for the first time, and I have to say that I really like it. Tom fits the band's sound like he's never done anything else, and Nick has written some fantastic lyrics once again. The instrumental work is amazing as well, with some superb guitar solos throughout.

I don't know the individual songs that well yet, and it obviously needs a couple more listens, but my first impression is a very positive one.

Also, the album cover is beautiful.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1093 on: November 13, 2018, 02:21:20 PM »
This album still sounding fresh each listen.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1094 on: November 13, 2018, 02:55:31 PM »
It is a really good album, I'm thinking it lands #3 of the year for me, behind Seventh Wonder and Haken, but between those three, it's almost a toss up really (the other two are newer and more fresh which may have an impact on my current rankings in my head)

Anyway, LNJID was my intro to Redemption and I really enjoyed it.  I have since also started listening to Evergrey (they are playing ProgPower next year so I finally started listening, also Tom told himself me I should check out his other band :lol ) and now I kind of see what others were saying here when comparing him to Redemption and Evergrey.  Seems he does use a different style and maybe more versatile in Evergrey, but when I go back to listen to Ray in Redemption, I feel like that's more what Tom is trying to do.  He sounds like Redemption in Redemption.  I think that's fine.  It's kind of similar to Tommy Karevik in Kamelot and Seventh Wonder really.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1095 on: November 13, 2018, 03:10:02 PM »
As much as I like you, Cram, ranking this album behind Haken makes me think you need to have your head examined.  Or at least your ears.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1096 on: November 13, 2018, 03:20:22 PM »
As much as I like you Cram, ranking this album behind Seventh Wonder makes me think you need to have your head examined. Or at least your ears.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1097 on: November 13, 2018, 03:27:43 PM »
As much as I like you, Cram, ranking this album behind Haken makes me think you need to have your head examined.  Or at least your ears.

I think it's fair to say I enjoy Haken more than Redemption though, where as you are the opposite (and I don't think it's that close for you as it is for me).  But needing my head examined might be true regardless.

As much as I like you Cram, ranking this album behind Seventh Wonder makes me think you need to have your head examined. Or at least your ears.

And you've made it clear you aren't a Seventh Wonder fan so once again, this just seems par for the course really.

I can also clearly say Tommy is by far my favorite singer of the three bands and that honestly weighs heavy on me in this case because his vocals are so damn good in Tiara.  But as Im thinking about this, I may actually like Ross moreso than Tom.  That's a bit closer though and I haven't listened to enough Evergrey to come to that conclusion yet, but I kind of feel that way based on what I do know.  Next year I'll get a better idea.  I've only seen Tom live once with his first time in Redemption, I've seen Tommy live 5 times with Kamelot and Ross 4 times (once with MP's TSF, 3 with Haken) so it's not as easy to compare against Tom just yet.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1098 on: November 13, 2018, 06:17:37 PM »
This album would definitely be near the top of my best of 2018 list.  Not that there's a lot of albums I'd be able to chose from though.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1099 on: November 13, 2018, 11:16:37 PM »
Despite the fact that Haken, Redemption and Seventh Wonder are all labeled as prog metal, they're quite different stylistically. I like all three albums. I would too pick Seventh Wonder over this one and Vector, but it doesn't mean I don't enjoy these albums a lot.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1100 on: November 14, 2018, 07:36:40 AM »
Despite the fact that Haken, Redemption and Seventh Wonder are all labeled as prog metal, they're quite different stylistically. I like all three albums. I would too pick Seventh Wonder over this one and Vector, but it doesn't mean I don't enjoy these albums a lot.

They are very different indeed, wasn't trying to directly compare them really but I've been thinking about my favorite albums of the year and those three come to mind for me.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1101 on: November 14, 2018, 08:08:25 AM »
That wasn't a dig at you, cram, just an observation. :)
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1102 on: November 14, 2018, 08:49:17 AM »
That wasn't a dig at you, cram, just an observation. :)

I didn't think take it that way.  Was really just agreeing with you about the first part and not so much on the latter  :biggrin:

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1103 on: November 14, 2018, 08:53:42 AM »
I just find it hard to accept that someone could rank an album that I find to be SO bad above an album that I find to be SO fantastic.  And believe me, I listened to that Haken album a TON to try to find things I liked so that I could write a review.  I ultimately had to turn down doing the review because, after three weeks of listening, I just couldn't stand the album at all.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1104 on: November 14, 2018, 09:00:05 AM »
To each their own and it's not like I dislike LNJID, I said it's pretty close between the three albums for me. So while I may enjoy one over the other, they are both awesome albums to me.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1105 on: November 14, 2018, 09:15:38 AM »
I just find it hard to accept that someone could rank an album that I find to be SO bad above an album that I find to be SO fantastic.  And believe me, I listened to that Haken album a TON to try to find things I liked so that I could write a review.  I ultimately had to turn down doing the review because, after three weeks of listening, I just couldn't stand the album at all.

I mean, personal preferences aside there are two points where I think the Haken album stands above the Redemption album. Firstly the Haken album doesn't sound like the last few Haken albums. Of course some elements are still there, but it is a fresh album. The Redemption album, although I love it, musically sounds exactly like we've come to expect Redemption to sound. They are similar to Threshold at this point in putting out consistently great albums that have a major strike against them in that you feel like you've heard it all before.

This is seen even more in the vocals for the new album, which despite a singer change are very similar in style to what we've heard before and are frankly better executed by Ray in my opinion. So between the been there done that, and the vocal downgrade (in this style, Tom is AMAZING in Evergrey), there are certainly reasons against Redemption being the top album.

That said I don't think Vector is Haken's best or perfect either, and detailed a few issues in my review, and at the end of the day I can see great arguments for either one topping the other. For Bosk specifically, I'm surprised you can't at least find positive things to say about Veil. One strike against the album for me is how similar the song sounds like Black Clouds era Dream Theater, but I'd suspect you would latch on and enjoy that one at least.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1106 on: November 14, 2018, 09:19:11 AM »
ranking this albumanything behind Haken makes me think you need to have your head examined.  Or at least your ears.

Fix'd  But that's just me, and I know that Haken is my own personal fail, but still...
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1107 on: November 14, 2018, 09:50:25 AM »
For Bosk specifically, I'm surprised you can't at least find positive things to say about Veil. One strike against the album for me is how similar the song sounds like Black Clouds era Dream Theater, but I'd suspect you would latch on and enjoy that one at least.

I'm surprised as well, I understand Bosk just isn't a fan and that's fine, but there's quite a few similarities to DT that I just find it hard to imagine there wasn't anything of interest on Vector. 

Offline Nachtmerrie

« Reply #1108 on: November 14, 2018, 12:28:20 PM »

I mean, personal preferences aside there are two points where I think the Haken album stands above the Redemption album. Firstly the Haken album doesn't sound like the last few Haken albums. Of course some elements are still there, but it is a fresh album. The Redemption album, although I love it, musically sounds exactly like we've come to expect Redemption to sound. They are similar to Threshold at this point in putting out consistently great albums that have a major strike against them in that you feel like you've heard it all before.

This is seen even more in the vocals for the new album, which despite a singer change are very similar in style to what we've heard before and are frankly better executed by Ray in my opinion. So between the been there done that, and the vocal downgrade (in this style, Tom is AMAZING in Evergrey), there are certainly reasons against Redemption being the top album.

I completely agree with you. As much as I enjoyed this Redemption album it doesn't come close to the magic of Origins and Snowfall. I love Tom in Evergrey but for me he doesn't bring the magic Ray brought to Redemption.

The album will be in my top 10 this year but so far Haken, TesseracT, Oceans of Slumber en The Ocean rank higher.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1109 on: November 14, 2018, 03:04:23 PM »

I can't stand understand the love for Haken at all.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1110 on: November 14, 2018, 03:37:55 PM »
Celestial Elixir is a great song. Everything else I've heard is very unappealing. Especially that god awful Cockroach King.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #1111 on: November 15, 2018, 12:26:23 PM »
I love Haken though I understand why they may not appeal to other especially because of the vocals. The new redemption album is good but man not having Ray really hurt it my eyes.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1112 on: January 19, 2019, 08:57:49 AM »
Patric Ullaeus is getting to work on the Redemption concert  :metal :metal
Set up to edit the @redemptionmetal concert that we filmed in Atlanta  @progpowerusa 🎬🤘🎥 Thanks to everyone that made this possible!!!

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1113 on: January 19, 2019, 09:30:03 PM »
Ooo...I'm excited. Can't wait to buy and it and search the audience.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1114 on: January 19, 2019, 11:24:12 PM »

I commented asking to make sure there's a shot of me and Patrick liked it  :lol not that he knows what I look like or would do it, but pretty cool and I know I will be searching.  I'm sure Nick will be in it as well. 

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1115 on: January 20, 2019, 11:46:53 AM »

I commented asking to make sure there's a shot of me and Patrick liked it  :lol not that he knows what I look like or would do it, but pretty cool and I know I will be searching.  I'm sure Nick will be in it as well.

I'd be lucky to see myself. Being how short i am. Haha
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline ronnibran

I can't stop listening to Redemption lately.  They are definitely one of my favorite bands.  The debut album is underrated, I totally love it.  Basically all day today at work I pretty much had the songs "As I Lay Dying" and "Something Wicked This Way Comes" on repeat.  Each album of theirs has something completely unique and special about it.   :metal

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
I can't stop listening to Redemption lately. 

Why would you want to?  JUST DO IT!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I still spin the new album regularly.  It's fast becoming my go to Redemption album.

Offline Tomislav95

I still spin the new album regularly.  It's fast becoming my go to Redemption album.
It's been a while since I spun it but it really has good place in my memory, will listen it later. There is definitely something about it, can't believe I'm saying because I love Ray so much, it may be my favorite of their albums.
BTW anyone else love their rendition of New Year's Day as much as I do? The fact I'm unfamiliar with U2 probably helps a bit :lol
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...