Author Topic: Derek Sherinian and Planet X Appreciation Thread  (Read 5810 times)

Offline goo-goo

Re: Derek Sherinian and Planet X Appreciation Thread
« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2023, 12:27:26 PM »
Was Planet X too advanced/technical for their time?

I've been revisiting their discography and I just don't know why they weren't more successful. Now you have bands like Arch Echo, Periphery, Animals as Leaders, etc. were they plat complex music, insane time sigs, etc..Goind through Universe right now and it's heavy, groovy, and great play by everyone and has that "djenty" feel like those bands I mentioned before.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2023, 01:38:11 PM »

I've been revisiting their discography and I just don't know why they weren't more successful. Now you have bands like Arch Echo, Periphery, Animals as Leaders, etc. were they plat complex music, insane time sigs, etc..Goind through Universe right now and it's heavy, groovy, and great play by everyone and has that "djenty" feel like those bands I mentioned before.

The fun thing is that even Derek, around the time they were promoting the first SOA album, said in an interview that the Planet X stuff got way too complex and it wasn't that enjoyable for him to play. More recently, though, in true Derek fashion, he said he would love to make another PX record :lol
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2023, 09:14:35 PM »

I love it and would see it live, but it's not a popular music form.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2023, 09:26:36 AM »
Sherinian/Phillips live has me intrigued. Will definitely check it out.

Finally had the time to give this one a spin. Excellent playing from all musicians but I think the tunes don't stray much from their studio versions. Still a highly enjoyable record.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Kyo

• Myung at Heart
« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2023, 10:54:43 AM »
The fun thing is that even Derek, around the time they were promoting the first SOA album, said in an interview that the Planet X stuff got way too complex and it wasn't that enjoyable for him to play. More recently, though, in true Derek fashion, he said he would love to make another PX record :lol

I don't think that's a contradiction. Music can be fun to create, record and listen to, and yet be somewhat unenjoyable to perform live. I can totally see how that would apply to PX material. Alex Machacek, who played with them for a while, compared playing a PX live gig to running an obstacle course.
"Freedom in the 21st Century means being incommunicado."

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #40 on: August 31, 2023, 12:15:24 PM »
Or maybe Derek was alluding to the fact that PX music was becoming more complex and less musical. If you compare Universe, Moobabies and Quantum, I think that's what happened to their music over time. And I think it has to do with less Tony Macalpine in the songwriting credits in the sequence of albums. Maybe Derek would like to make another PX album more in the vein of the first 2 (my faves, specially Universe).
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #41 on: August 31, 2023, 02:40:39 PM »
I wish I could find the interview right now, as I don't remember the exact words he used, but it seemed to me like he meant it in a negative way. Like saying PX was cool but became too complicated just for the sake of it and that he didn't really enjoy that whole thing too much. Of course, opinions/feelings change through the years, and I'm sure his current statements about wanting to make another album are genuine, it's just a bit funny considering he dissed the band/music a few years ago.

Worth mentioning is the fact that this interview happened during the promotional cycle for the first SOA record, when they were convinced they were the new kings of prog metal and that the band would last for years to come :rollin
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #42 on: August 31, 2023, 05:21:54 PM »
Sadly, that kinda sounds like Derek.  Sons of Anachrony were so cool at the moment that he'd diss his other bands just to try and build them up.