Author Topic: Wrestling - Road to Wrestlemania 29  (Read 212346 times)

Offline toro

• wazzup
  • Metal, Drums and beers they finally got it right
Re: Wrestling
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2011, 10:18:47 PM »

I remember when Cena was new. And when he was a complete and utter wigger.
He was annoying even back then  :lol
Do you remember him from even before that? He use to wear powder blue shorts and had like a "man-desperately-trying-to-prove-himself" gimmick, he was still annoying.
oh yeah he used to fly from the top rop, in wrestling he wasn't so bad, but his gimmick was STILL annoying.
I imagined the story to go more like this.

I was sitting a traffic light blaring Space Dye Vest and next to me in another car was Kevin Moore. And I'll never be open again.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2011, 10:27:29 PM »
That is why I stopped watching. Nothing new.

But I remember the first elimination chamber match...I thought I found god.
I WAS AT THE SECOND EVER ELIMINATION CHAMBER MATCH!!

The moment when Batista became more famous than Triple H!! God, if he wasn't made out of paper the WWE would've been a ton of money because of him!

EDIT: Scratch that, it was the third.

He was annoying even back then  :lol
Do you remember him from even before that? He use to wear powder blue shorts and had like a "man-desperately-trying-to-prove-himself" gimmick, he was still annoying.
oh yeah he used to fly from the top rop, in wrestling he wasn't so bad, but his gimmick was STILL annoying.
Indeed, he has ability and he definitely loves the sport and its history, but damn are his gimmicks annoying!
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2011, 10:34:11 PM »
The people saying "oh it's fake" are missing the point. It's hilarious melodrama. Well.. it has the potential to be. My roommates and I followed the WWE religiously last year, it was a shit-ton of fun. 

Oh, and fuck John Cena.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2011, 10:36:53 PM »
My personal favorite ever was Brock Lesnar. Even when he turned into a dick and F5'd the crippled kid into the pole, I still fucking loved him.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2011, 10:37:15 PM »
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline toro

• wazzup
« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2011, 10:37:34 PM »
My personal favorite ever was Brock Lesnar. Even when he turned into a dick and F5'd the crippled kid into the pole, I still fucking loved him.
He was a beast, my favorite too.

EDIT: does anyone remember that HOLY SHIT! moment at WrestleMania 19 when Lesnar botched the Shooting Star Press? good times.

I was sitting a traffic light blaring Space Dye Vest and next to me in another car was Kevin Moore. And I'll never be open again.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2011, 10:39:32 PM »
CM Punk was my dude when I was into it.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2011, 10:43:04 PM »
CM Punk was my dude when I was into it.
CM Punk is great!

But, my favorite of all-time is Stone Cold Steve Austin, while Shawn Michaels is, IMO, the greatest ever.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2011, 10:43:29 PM »
He was a beast, my favorite too.

EDIT: does anyone remember that HOLY SHIT! moment at WrestleMania 19 when Lesnar botched the Shooting Star Press? good times.

I remember that! :lol

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2011, 10:47:53 PM »
Remember when Undertaker threw Mick Foley off the fucking cage? and then THROUGH the cage? :rollin

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #45 on: January 30, 2011, 10:49:18 PM »
Remember when Undertaker threw Mick Foley off the fucking cage? and then THROUGH the cage? :rollin
Dude that was AWESOME!!!!

Offline toro

• wazzup
« Reply #46 on: January 30, 2011, 10:49:37 PM »
"Another holy shit moment brought you by: Mick Foley."

Edge Spearing Mick foley trough a table in Flames.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #47 on: January 30, 2011, 10:54:18 PM »
Remember when Lesnar and the Big Show broke the ring? :rollin

Offline toro

• wazzup
« Reply #48 on: January 31, 2011, 12:05:54 AM »
Shit was cash.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #49 on: January 31, 2011, 12:28:00 AM »
I still catch it here and there, usually when home on a Monday night and nothing else is on (or if the MNF game was a stinker or boring), but it ain't even close to what it used to be.  I grew up watching Wrestling at the Chase with my dad on Sunday mornings when it featured Dick the Bruiser, Harley Race, Bruiser Brody, etc.  That was good stuff.

The banner years for me watching it were both the WWF and the NWA/WCW in the late 80s/early 90s and then WCW in the mid 90s.  The nWo thing was like the best storyline ever (before it got too big and they made it ridiculous with everyone and their mother being in it).  I didn't really watch the WWF much during the Attitude Era, oddly .

As for Cena, he is damn good.  A lot of people seem to hate him, but he is good.  He might never be a Hogan, Austin or Flair, but so what?

And I also chuckle at those who dog wrestling by saying, "It's fake."  It's like, "No shit, Sherlock."  I am pretty sure everyone over the age of 12 knows that.  But it is entertainment.  Silly entertainment, sure, but a lot of people like that.

Favorite wrestlers of all-time are probably Curt Hennig (Mr. Perfect!), Ted DiBiase (best heel ever), Randy Savage, Bret Hart, and, yes, Hulk Hogan. Say what you want about Hogan, but he was over like nobody's business in the 80s.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #50 on: January 31, 2011, 08:28:49 AM »

That was the last match I ever watched during my "religiously watch every WWE show ever" days. I even taped it on VHS and have it stowed away somewhere. :)

Who remembers Too Cool and Rakishi? And Degeneration-X? :) :tup

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #51 on: January 31, 2011, 08:59:54 AM »
Who remembers Too Cool and Rakishi? And Degeneration-X? :) :tup
W-O-R-M, it's the WORM!!!!!

And DX is the greatest stable of all time, followed closely by the first nWo. Both of them put wrestling in the stratosphere during the late 90s.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 09:55:34 AM by Dimitrius »

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #52 on: January 31, 2011, 09:47:10 AM »
I watched weekly until a few months ago. I was a big fan as a young kid, through DX, and then stopped watching for a while. I had been watching the last two years or so because some of my favorites as a kid (Shawn Michaels, Triple H, Undertaker) were still around, then I called it quits around Thanksgiving.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #53 on: January 31, 2011, 09:50:17 AM »
I really have to disagree with you about Cena, Kev. He has great mic-skills, and he sells his character well, but his in-the-ring action is just SO tired and predictable. I hated watching his matches so much.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #54 on: January 31, 2011, 09:52:33 AM »
I was a huge fan when I was younger, during the days of the NWA and their partner promotions throughout the country.  Our local promotion was Mid-Atlantic Championship Wrestling run by Crockett Promotions.  All of the biggest names of the NWA were there (Ric Flair, Wahoo McDaniel, Ivan & Nikita Koloff, the Rock-N-Roll Express, the 4 Horsemen, eventually the Road Warriors).  Awesome sauce all the way around.  Of course, Crockett's promotion eventually bought out most of the other promotions, and then became known as World Championsip Wrestling, which eventually sold out to Turner, at which point it really started to suck.

I got into it again during the "Attitude" days of WWE, when Steve Austin, Foley, HHH, and the Rock all made their pushes.  That was a great time in wrestling, as well.  But then, after I got married and kids came along, I watched less and less, and now it's almost never.

But now my 7 year old daughter is into Smackdown, so we'll see what happens.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #55 on: January 31, 2011, 10:01:05 AM »
Was a big fan in the late 70's and 80's.  Went to see Jimmy "Superfly" Snuka fight Bob Backland in the early 80's at a roller skating rink in Tewksbury Mass at a place called Skate 3.  Old school.  Fell of the WWF(now E) after I got out of high school.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: January 31, 2011, 11:59:55 AM »
Our local promotion was Mid-Atlantic Championship Wrestling run by Crockett Promotions.  All of the biggest names of the NWA were there (Ric Flair, Wahoo McDaniel, Ivan & Nikita Koloff, the Rock-N-Roll Express, the 4 Horsemen, eventually the Road Warriors).  Awesome sauce all the way around. 
Holy crap, that stuff used to get shown on TBS right? I totally remember all those names. The Four Horsemen were so awesome. Ric Flair is still my all-time #1 favorite guy on the mic.

I used to be big into wrestling as a kid, went to one event when I was around 10. Lost interest for a while, then got back in to it around 2000, when the Rock, Austin, HHH had some great feuds. Never got in to WCW for whatever reason. Stopped following it around 2005. No idea what is going on now.

If I had to pick a favorite over the years, I guess I’d go with the Undertaker. He changed his gimmick a few times, but somehow always was able to keep it fresh, and true to the Undertaker image. I see him still around, and it somehow makes sense, while other old timers just need to hang it up. I didn’t see it live, but the lights going out on HHH/Rock’s Iron Man Match, and the Undertaker coming out and chokeslamming everyone still gets me pumped.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline CountVoorhees

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #57 on: January 31, 2011, 12:25:16 PM »
WWE raped my childhood when they did that whole Katie Vick thing with Kane and Triple H and made Kane take off his mask. Besides Goldberg in WCW, Kane was my favorite wrestler.
This one.

Not this shit.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #58 on: January 31, 2011, 12:52:09 PM »
So out of curiosity, does anybody have any idea who the Von Erichs were, or have they faded from history?  Kinda curious how broad their notoriety was and if they had any long-lasting influence. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #59 on: January 31, 2011, 12:57:16 PM »
So out of curiosity, does anybody have any idea who the Von Erichs were, or have they faded from history?  Kinda curious how broad their notoriety was and if they had any long-lasting influence.  
I know who they are, also know about their sad history.

The Katie Vick storyline was one of the worst storylines ever conceived! It was so bad the WWE just made it disappear and the whole unmasking of Kane... WHY THE FUCK did he have like a patch of hair on the back of the head?!?!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #60 on: January 31, 2011, 01:30:07 PM »
I really have to disagree with you about Cena, Kev. He has great mic-skills, and he sells his character well, but his in-the-ring action is just SO tired and predictable. I hated watching his matches so much.

Okay, but that is what the fans want to see.  Most wrestlers have four or five main moves that they do in every match, and Cena is no different in that regard.  Hell, Hulk Hogan could actually wrestle pretty well, but fans didn't want to see that.  They wanted to see him beat on his opponents with punches, his clothesline in the corner, a body slam, a boot to the face and a leg drop.  It was more exciting to see Hogan overpower his opponent with the same moves than to see him dissect someone with grapplin' on the mat.  Same thing with Cena. 

So out of curiosity, does anybody have any idea who the Von Erichs were, or have they faded from history?  Kinda curious how broad their notoriety was and if they had any long-lasting influence. 

Their feuds with the Fabulous Freebirds were legendary.  I still remember Michael P.S. Hayes calling them a bunch of horse-faced dorks. :lol :lol

Kosmo

« Reply #61 on: January 31, 2011, 01:50:28 PM »
I used to follow WWE with my brothers but not anymore, i've watched a few matches here and there though.

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: January 31, 2011, 03:40:58 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8RKcLqyFFs&feature=related...some questionable language maybe NFSW

My all time favorite on a mic
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #63 on: January 31, 2011, 03:47:18 PM »
Hahaha yes!  That was amazing!!  My all time favourite interviewee was Jake the Snake, that guy had class.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #64 on: January 31, 2011, 03:51:17 PM »
Although the Katie Vick storyline was embarrassingly horrid, I thought it was funny when years later, Shawn Michaels brought it up during a skit in the ring. Atleast they can look back at such horrible things and laugh.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #65 on: January 31, 2011, 03:59:45 PM »
Oh, and I started watching wrestling around 97 or 98 with WCW. It was when Goldberg first debuted. He quickly became my favorite wrestler. After they made him lose his streak, he was kind of done. He still kicked ass, but they started making him lose in ridiculous ways and just wasn't used properly anymore. I liked the unstoppable force gimmick. It got worse when he turned heal and joined The New Blood with Bischoff. Goldberg CAN NOT play a bad guy in wrestling. He was decent in WWE, but again, Vince handled him very poorly and soon he faded away... Is he still doing reality shows?

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #66 on: January 31, 2011, 04:20:29 PM »
I think Cena gets too much grief for his in-ring skills. No, he'll never be confused with a great mat technician, but he can have good to great matches if he's matched up with someone who can really go (case in point: his one hour Wrestlemania rematch with Shawn Michaels). He definitely catches undue flack from the old school fans because he's a young crowd fan favorite.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #67 on: January 31, 2011, 04:48:26 PM »

He was annoying even back then  :lol
But he was better than now. I think WWE stopped being good sometime in 2006, and stopped being awesome back in 2003. I liked it because it's not what it's now, where Wrestlers barely hit each other, but because it actually tried hard to keep it the most realistic possible, even though it wasn't.

Oh, and because Stacy Keibler and Torrie Wilson, who always accompanied me in my fap nights.

Wait what

Offline toro

• wazzup
« Reply #68 on: January 31, 2011, 04:49:48 PM »

Oh, and because Stacy Keibler and Torrie Wilson, who always accompanied me in my fap nights.

Trish Stratus  :heart

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #69 on: January 31, 2011, 04:52:21 PM »
Trish Stratus  :heart
She was there as well.
 :heart
(foreveralone.jpg)