Author Topic: BrotherH's Song Roulette -- FINAL ROUND RESULTS!!!!!  (Read 97388 times)

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
Re: BrotherH's Song Roulette -- First Round -- Deadline Feb 1
« Reply #70 on: January 30, 2011, 03:04:52 PM »
OK, sorry for the "lateness", just sent mine. All of them are in now.

Offline jsem

« Reply #71 on: January 30, 2011, 03:12:13 PM »
No worries mang. He said Feb 1... so techincally you coulda sent tomorrow too

Offline Space Invader

• The Canadian Doctor Who Fanatic
  • DTF.org Member
  • Also recently addicted to Survivor
« Reply #72 on: January 30, 2011, 03:17:42 PM »
No worries mang. He said Feb 1... so techincally you coulda sent tomorrow too

Yeah, but the tardiness of both myself and James might delay the writeup process. I mean, he said he had most of the rankings figures out already, so our lateness might cause him to re-evaluate and/or re-listen in order to properly rank them.

But, now we're all ready so it's up to Brother now.
Everything can, should and will be progressive.

"The only thing that is certain is that nothing is certain" - Montaigne.

I'm going to need a SWAT team ready to mobilize, street over maps covering all of Florida, a pot of coffee, twelve Jammie Dodgers and a Fez - Eleventh Doctor

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #73 on: January 30, 2011, 03:22:19 PM »
NEED RESULTS!!!
LOL IRONY

Fuck you...repectfully. :P My write ups were paragraphs long and I was incredibly punctual up until the last round...which, granted, is when I just didn't care anymore.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #74 on: January 30, 2011, 03:44:21 PM »
Just got back from a friend's place.

I want to listen to each song at least twice before making a decision.  I've done write-ups for everyone but Space and James.  Will get that up in less than two hours.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline jsem

« Reply #75 on: January 30, 2011, 03:45:19 PM »
 :hefdaddy

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #76 on: January 30, 2011, 03:46:02 PM »
Thank you Brother H. :)

Offline dethklok09

• Mike
  • Great band
« Reply #77 on: January 30, 2011, 03:46:33 PM »
Just got back from a friend's place.

I want to listen to each song at least twice before making a decision.  I've done write-ups for everyone but Space and James.  Will get that up in less than two hours.
I'm as giddy as a school girl

Offline Space Invader

• The Canadian Doctor Who Fanatic
  • DTF.org Member
  • Also recently addicted to Survivor
« Reply #78 on: January 30, 2011, 03:51:19 PM »
Man, these roulettes are the best. Every time results go up, I get a little adrenaline rush. It's awesome.

I lead a boring life, and these are my excitement.
Everything can, should and will be progressive.

"The only thing that is certain is that nothing is certain" - Montaigne.

I'm going to need a SWAT team ready to mobilize, street over maps covering all of Florida, a pot of coffee, twelve Jammie Dodgers and a Fez - Eleventh Doctor

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #79 on: January 30, 2011, 04:05:47 PM »
Nah, I agree.

I pretty much have 3 bands/songs I know I want to try, so I just have to hope no one sends those bands before I do.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #80 on: January 30, 2011, 04:18:55 PM »
I don't care about winning or losing. This is all in fun! :)

Offline Ħ

« Reply #81 on: January 30, 2011, 04:28:56 PM »
First off, thanks everyone for your submissions.  Just from reading around DTF, it's evident that mostly everyone here has an incredible musical library, and there is a great amount of diversity.  Admittedly, I am not musically diverse or appreciative at all, and my goal is to branch out as much as I can.  This song roulette game will really help me do this, so....you 10 are going to be a major part of my musical history!

I wrote the commentary as I was listening to the song, so that's why it might seem a little discombobulated.  Some of the write-ups are longer and some are shorter, but that doesn't impact how I rate the song.  It's difficult to think of much to say when a song is short, simple, and sweet.  But I hope that's OK...Anyway, here you go. :)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RESULTS

73109 - Devin Townsend - Earth Day

Hmm...very majestic intro.  Pretty good so far...Booting up the lyrics…what the heck? Lol.  Well…you told me not to take the lyrics too seriously.  But looking past the lyrics, great.  He’s got a great voice, and there’s some great harmonies there.  Lots of variety.  Also some pretty gnarly riffage.  The constant references to beets and recycling make me recall this:  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLsOS362hkM

3 Points.

Nic35 - Karmakanic - Two Blocks From The Edge

This is what I’m talking about--a nice lovely prog song.  About two minutes in and it’s great. Sax is great, too.  The vocals are tolerable but I’m not crazy about them.  Looking at their Wikipedia page and they are a fairly new band…very cool.

Good song, good band I’ll hold onto for sure…the only thing is it didn’t completely blow me away, and it dragged a quite a bit.  Almost a 4, but I have to give you 3 Points.

jsem - Supertramp - School

Whoa, harmonica.  And clarinet.  Love the Dogs-like style at 1:25.  Hmm…this is like an upbeat Pink Floyd with innovative Beatles instrumentation…I like it!  Nice mix, too; real prominent bass.  At 3:20, and I am digging it…very groovy.  Almost a little Latin sounding.  The best part is this melodic bassist.  Totally digging it.  Dude, thank you for this. At first, it sounded a little different from the really heavy stuff we always listen to, but I thoroughly enjoyed this.  5 Points.

The Letter M - Kino - Losers' Day Parade

Ok so far.  Intro is on the verge being mindblowing.  Love the offbeat guitar at :30.  Cool vocalist. I like this drummer, too.  And of course, Trewavas.  1:25 and the song is picking up.  There’s that offbeat guitar again.  Not sure what to make of 2:20...let’s see where they go with this.  Old phonograph effect.  Oh, there we go with heavy prog riffage.  3:15 makes me happy.  Whoa, female vocals!  Loving this song…like you said it’s not in-your-face shredding, but still very catchy and enjoyable.  6:15 is very interesting..hmm.  Soothing vocal harmonies at 7:15.  Whoa, nasty nasty chord to close the song…intriguing.

Some parts are a little draggy, but some are simply magical.  Close to 5 points, but I have to give you 4 because the song did have some dragging flaws.  4 Points.

DTVT - The Dear Hunter - What It Means To Be Alone

Wow, they really throw you right into the song.  Ah…hate to say it but I’m not a fan of the vocals.  The instrumentalists are good, and the drummer has got style.  But I hate to say it but this is really not my thing.  The vocalist kinda kills it for me, sorry.  1 Point.

dethklok09 - Green Carnation - The Boy In The Attic

I listened to a different album from this band from Sigz’s top 50 albums thread.  I really like their style…this song sounds like it could have been played by a very mystical Tool/Sonata Arctica.  I think I will give out 3 Points.

dtismajesty - Demians - Shine

Lovely.  Guitar is beautiful.  Vocals in…don’t know if I’m a fan of them.  But ambiance is great.  I like that heavy transition at 1:45.  Ambiance again at 2:50.  I like this guy.  Good submission…3 Points.

hefdaddy42 - John Wesley - Velvet Dreams

Peaceful.  Great voice, too.  Ahh…I’m just sitting back and getting absorbed.  Nice violin.  Pleasant song…not much to say more than that. But very atmospheric—I love these kinds of songs.  4 Points.

Space Invader - Suspyre - Reign

I just have to say, overall , this is a weird song.  Weird structure.  But I like it!  Instrumentation is cool.  Sax in…very cool, I must say.  Good vocalist too.  You have those neoclassical Symphony X vocal harmonies too.  This song is all over the place.  Weird weird riffs, sounds, and solos left and right.  I honestly don’t know what to make of this song.  Part of it gives me that epic rush, but part of it just makes me want to go insane…literally.  3 Points.

Jamesman - Future of Forestry - Hills Of Indigo Blue

Ooh, interesting submission.  Drums are pretty groovy.  Vocals in.  Ahh…not digging the dreamy floaty style, I hate to say.  Lyrically, I am not the biggest fan of Christian lyrics in most cases.  So…I would give this song a 1, but instrumentally, these guys are innovative, though.  While the vocals are OK, I really just don’t dig that soft-spoken style in most cases.  So I give you 2 Points.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

STANDINGS

jsem - 5
The Letter M - 4
hefdaddy42 - 4
73109 - 3
Nic35 - 3
dethklok09 - 3
dtismajesty - 3
Space Invader
Jamesman - 2
DTVT - 1

Round  2

Give me something non-prog, less than 7 minutes.

Deadline: February 2
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 04:58:12 PM by BrotherH »
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Online The Letter M

« Reply #82 on: January 30, 2011, 04:39:07 PM »
 :tup

Can we turn in our Round 2 submissions now? Or do we have to wait? Also... deadline?

By the by, this is really fun! I like some of the familiar choices I see among the Round 1 Submissions! I'm glad you liked mine, and I suggest you check out the rest of their debut (and so far only) album - there are some great cuts on there and the album as whole probably sits somewhere in my Top 50 albums...maybe even 40.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #83 on: January 30, 2011, 04:41:03 PM »
Hmm...

I wonder why you didn't like the vocals in Shine.  Their some of my favorite!

NOW WE'RE GOING HOOOOOOOOME

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #84 on: January 30, 2011, 04:44:24 PM »
Have not even seen the results yet but after looking at the layout, I have a huge favor. Please post them in the order of highest points to lowest points. Thank you. :)

Offline jsem

« Reply #85 on: January 30, 2011, 04:45:13 PM »
Yes! I'm really glad you liked mine. Supertramp is truly one awesome band.

Have not even seen the results yet but after looking at the layout, I have a huge favor. Please post them in the order of highest points to lowest points. Thank you. :)
Also this.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #86 on: January 30, 2011, 04:46:08 PM »
Ok, so...three. I can deal. I guess. :\

You need to look more into Devy though. He is a genius. Going to find something for you soon.

Offline dethklok09

• Mike
  • Great band
« Reply #87 on: January 30, 2011, 04:47:44 PM »
glad you liked mine they are a great band

Offline Ħ

« Reply #88 on: January 30, 2011, 04:57:25 PM »
I was thinking about doing this but I was hesitant because I didn't want anyone to feel like their song was worse than other people's.  Ranking stuff seems kinda cruel, in a way.  But if you want me to do it that way next time, I will.

You can send in your submissions for Round 2 now.  New deadline is Feb 2.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #89 on: January 30, 2011, 05:00:46 PM »
I thought I would not have a problem finding something for you, but right now, I have so many ideas because when you say, "not prog, under 7 minutes" that is basically 90% of my collection, so this is basically an open round to me, but it is even harder because I can't send any prog. I will make up my mind and send something tonight.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #90 on: January 30, 2011, 05:01:06 PM »
How much of a factor are the vocals for you? I know for some it can make or break a song. It seems like that may be the case for you.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #91 on: January 30, 2011, 05:02:34 PM »
How much of a factor are the vocals for you? I know for some it can make or break a song. It seems like that may be the case for you.
Good vocals don't make a song, but bad vocals can break it.  If that makes sense.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #92 on: January 30, 2011, 05:03:25 PM »
It makes sense. :)

Offline dethklok09

• Mike
  • Great band
« Reply #93 on: January 30, 2011, 05:04:29 PM »
how I view it. a band is only as strong as it's weakest link, so I understand it

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #94 on: January 30, 2011, 05:12:15 PM »
Narrowed down to 7 songs. Just need to decide if I want to go with the proggy non prog, or go with something classic, or something that isn't either.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #95 on: January 30, 2011, 05:28:02 PM »
Sent. Confident in my choice for someone who is willing to accept things other than prog. To me, the song I sent is one of the songs that no one could ever dislike.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #96 on: January 30, 2011, 05:32:44 PM »
Sent! It's not really prog, but kind of... I'm hoping my choice is as liked as my Round 1 Submission!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #97 on: January 30, 2011, 05:41:47 PM »
Sent. ;)

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #98 on: January 30, 2011, 07:42:26 PM »
Brother H,

What are your thoughts on metal / harsh stuff?  You say you like Opeth, but it doesn't really fit in with the rest of your favorites.

Offline Nic35

• Which seat can I take =/ ?
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #99 on: January 30, 2011, 07:58:02 PM »
Sent.
Jesus Christ himself* comes down amidst a choir of 2 billion angels singing Handel's Hallelujah chorus. As KrotchRaut shred randomly on guitars made of dragon bones using picks made from God's kidney stones, Jesus heals a blind woman who promptly gives birth onstage to a creation of pure light.

*Yes, Jesus Christ himself. Nothing less will do.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #100 on: January 30, 2011, 08:20:10 PM »
I was thinking about doing this but I was hesitant because I didn't want anyone to feel like their song was worse than other people's.  Ranking stuff seems kinda cruel, in a way.  But if you want me to do it that way next time, I will.

Uh...but by scoring them aren't you already doing that?

You don't have to rank them per se, you could just organize them highest to lowest scoring.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #101 on: January 30, 2011, 08:26:29 PM »
Sent.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #102 on: January 30, 2011, 08:37:50 PM »
Sent.  This will either be a 5 or another 1 I think.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #103 on: January 30, 2011, 08:42:09 PM »
I hope you didn't send what I want to send later. I have never heard you express interest in the band I am thinking of, so I think I am sent.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #104 on: January 30, 2011, 09:31:19 PM »
I hope you didn't send what I want to send later. I have never heard you express interest in the band I am thinking of, so I think I am sent.

I doubt.  Probably only a handful of people know I like this album, and those that do probably forgot I like this album.  It's not something you would associate with a big prog/metal guy, and it's not something I would have sent to you in your roulette numbers.