Author Topic: BrotherH's Song Roulette -- FINAL ROUND RESULTS!!!!!  (Read 97445 times)

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
Re: BrotherH's Song Roulette -- Round Nine -- SEMIFINALS
« Reply #665 on: March 03, 2011, 10:27:29 AM »
I just sent this minute.  I took another big risk...

Offline Space Invader

• The Canadian Doctor Who Fanatic
  • DTF.org Member
  • Also recently addicted to Survivor
« Reply #666 on: March 03, 2011, 10:42:37 AM »
I just sent this minute.  I took another big risk...

Best of luck boys.
Everything can, should and will be progressive.

"The only thing that is certain is that nothing is certain" - Montaigne.

I'm going to need a SWAT team ready to mobilize, street over maps covering all of Florida, a pot of coffee, twelve Jammie Dodgers and a Fez - Eleventh Doctor

Offline ClairvoyantCat

« Reply #667 on: March 03, 2011, 10:44:06 AM »
You too!

Online The Letter M

« Reply #668 on: March 03, 2011, 11:53:00 AM »
You as well! It's been a great pleasure participating and competing with you both, and everyone else in this whole Roulette!

May the best two rouletters win! :tup

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online The Letter M

« Reply #669 on: March 05, 2011, 01:25:21 PM »
BrotherH - How's the listening coming along? Any idea when you'll put up results for Round 9? I'm getting anxious...

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Ħ

« Reply #670 on: March 05, 2011, 10:59:52 PM »
Well, here we go.  I've listened to everything and now I have to make a decision...someone has to go.  :sadpanda:  This is extremely hard because I want to be objective as possible.  dtismajesty, you've been the underdog, I feel, and while we didn't click in the beginning, you've figured me out and towards the end, you've done great.  The Letter M, you've been consistently strong each and every round.  Space Invader, you're somewhere in between. :lol

I say that because now I have to make a judgment call based on these two rounds.  Here's what I'm going to do.  I'm going to rank each song.  And then...I'll make a decision.

Round Nine Results:

6. Jeff Buckley - Dream Brother (dtismajesty)

I'm sorry to give this song last place because it was marvelous.  Very spooky but very rockin.

5.  Explorer's Club - Fate Speaks (Space Invader)

I've been meaning to check these guys out for a while.  They're like....a more metal Transatlantic.

4.  Roine Stolt - Remember (The Letter M)

I'm not the biggest fan of Roine's vocals.  Anyway, this was basically Transatlantic.  So....I took that into account cause this was a really safe choice.

3.  Pure Reason Revolution - The Twyncyn / Trembling Willows (Space Invader)

Wow...simply wow.  It looks like they're a very new band too.  This was very impressive.

1.  Marillion - Ocean Cloud (The Letter M)
1.  Clint Mansell - Death is the Road to Awe (dtismajesty)

Yes, it was a tie between the best submissions.  These were both near-perfect songs.

Anyway....now I have to decide.  The Letter M, you're safe.  But I'm gonna have to decide between Space Invader and dtismajesty....crap.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline ClairvoyantCat

« Reply #671 on: March 05, 2011, 11:06:02 PM »
Oh.... wow. 

Mmm, whatever happens, it's been loads of fun! 

This is crazy.  Dunno what to say until you've made up your mind...

Offline Ħ

« Reply #672 on: March 05, 2011, 11:07:55 PM »
Maybe we should do this the way they do this in reality shows.

dtismajesty. Space Invader.  Tell me why you should stay.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline ClairvoyantCat

« Reply #673 on: March 05, 2011, 11:28:56 PM »
Ummm..

Really I don't think I should try and convince you of why I should stay, because this is your roulette and you can make a judgment either way, I wouldn't mind, and I don't think Space Invader would either.  If I were to stay, I would probably continue to send the non-prog things that I've been attempting to introduce you to, since that's been my main goal this round,  I was honestly expecting to be out much earlier because of that, so I feel lucky to be this far anyway. 

Online The Letter M

« Reply #674 on: March 06, 2011, 01:57:45 AM »
Wow, interesting results. I'm honored to keep participating, and whoever you choose, I know you'll choose right. I think it should be entirely YOUR decision, without anyone's outside influence of suggestion.

Either way, it will be a pleasure for me to continue onto the final round with either of them. Also, the final round you said we would send in a whole album, right? I think I know which album I want to send it, and I hope it'd be right up your alley!

-Marc.

Offline Space Invader

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #675 on: March 06, 2011, 05:38:28 AM »
I have to agree with dtmajesty on this one, there isn't much that I can say that will convince you to keep me on for the final round. I feel that I have played my best game the last couple rounds, and I sincerely hope that you have enjoyed some of the bands I sent you. It has been an honor being in such a tight race with two excellent opponents. Being "the guy in between", I'd like to prove that I can play with the best of them, as I'm sure dtmajestly would as well.

If you've liked what I sent you the last couple rounds, I have an album I KNOW you will enjoy. Heck, even if I'm kicked off, I might recommend it anyways, because a man with your tastes does not deserve to miss out on this band.

Congrats to the Letter M, well played.

Good luck to you both.

I'm going to need a SWAT team ready to mobilize, street over maps covering all of Florida, a pot of coffee, twelve Jammie Dodgers and a Fez - Eleventh Doctor

Offline Ħ

« Reply #676 on: March 06, 2011, 01:35:42 PM »
Well I've made a decision.

The Letter M and Space Invader are going to continue to the final round, and can send in their submissions whenever ready.

Sorry dtismajesty....it was close, so close...

Online The Letter M

« Reply #677 on: March 06, 2011, 05:42:21 PM »
Well I've made a decision.

The Letter M and Space Invader are going to continue to the final round, and can send in their submissions whenever ready.

Sorry dtismajesty....it was close, so close...

Sent! And good luck to you, SI! All the best and it's been great! And to dtismajesty, it's been fun participating in this with you! Great song choices throughout!

-Marc.

Offline Space Invader

• DTF.org Member
Re: BrotherH's Song Roulette -- FINAL ROUND
« Reply #678 on: March 07, 2011, 03:24:35 PM »
Sent in.

Here we go.

Offline Ħ

Re: BrotherH's Song Roulette -- FINAL ROUND
« Reply #679 on: March 07, 2011, 05:22:49 PM »
The Letter M - Tiles - Window Dressing

VS

Space Invader - IQ - Dark Matter

RESULTS:

To be posted Wednesday. :neverusethis:

Offline Space Invader

• DTF.org Member
Re: BrotherH's Song Roulette -- FINAL ROUND RESULTS!!!!!
« Reply #680 on: March 07, 2011, 05:52:08 PM »

Online The Letter M

« Reply #681 on: March 07, 2011, 07:58:02 PM »
IQ's Dark Matter - NICE choice. My personal favorite IQ album! :tup

If you win, Space Invader, it would be rightfully so, because Dark Matter is a great album.

-Marc.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #682 on: March 07, 2011, 08:20:27 PM »
Hey, a third Tiles fan at DTF!  Nick is the other one.

Online SoundscapeMN

« Reply #683 on: March 07, 2011, 10:38:13 PM »
I was (or still am?) a pretty big Tiles fan back in the day. I still feel their debut album is their best. But the music they made after Presents of Mind pretty much bored me to tears.

Offline jsem

« Reply #684 on: March 08, 2011, 01:32:41 PM »
I've only heard one IQ album, and I liked it. I should go chronologically on them soon... when I find time.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #685 on: March 09, 2011, 03:11:42 PM »
The winner

is

SPACE INVADER!!!!

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #686 on: March 09, 2011, 03:14:08 PM »
Great write-up.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #687 on: March 09, 2011, 03:20:49 PM »
 :lol

Yeah, this was tough.   Both albums were incredible.  I listened to each album twice to be fair and methodical.

To be honest, I thought The Letter M was going to win because he's been consistently strong in his submissions.  And on paper, Window Dressing is a perfect album for me.  But something didn't click...I just didn't have a chemistry with it.  I would listen to each song and I'd say "This song is great" but as a whole, I just didn't connect. 

But Dark Matter was just something else.  It just felt right.  There was just such a subtlety of sound and refinement on DM that really captured me on almost every song.  If I had to pick a fave it would be You Never Will.  I really did love it, and now I've got a new band to add to my faves.  :tup

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #688 on: March 09, 2011, 03:24:40 PM »
:lol Much better. :tup

I should check those albums out at some point, but it'll have to wait until after I've checked out all the bands from my roulette!

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Space Invader

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #689 on: March 09, 2011, 03:31:40 PM »
Hey thanks so much man! Glad you liked the album so much.

Thanks too goes to Mark, for playing such a great game and being a worthy opponent right to the end.

Offline jsem

« Reply #690 on: March 09, 2011, 03:35:31 PM »
Great roulette man. I'm glad to have been part of it.

I shouldn't have sent so much crap though lol

Offline Ħ

« Reply #691 on: March 09, 2011, 03:37:49 PM »
Yeah, it was great to have you as well as everyone else.  I'm gonna be pretty busy for a while listening to this new stuff.

Oh yeah, and sorry for taking so long, Rich.  :biggrin:  10 rounds with 10 participants made for an epic experience for me, and I hope no one is upset that I took so long.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #692 on: March 09, 2011, 03:49:31 PM »
Nah it's cool, I think yours actually took slightly less time than mine in total. :lol Although mine straddled Christmas where things really slowed down.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #693 on: March 09, 2011, 03:51:12 PM »
Mmmm Dark Matter. Great album.

So does this mean I start now? :o

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #694 on: March 09, 2011, 03:53:17 PM »
Yup! I edited my post in the tracker thread, but you must have missed it. :D

I be am boner inducing.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #695 on: March 09, 2011, 05:20:05 PM »
Ya know, if it was any other IQ album, I would have some contention to the results, but Dark Matter really IS pretty damn amazing. I was listening to it the other day when I saw that SI had submitted it. I knew it would be close!

I'll admit, I love Window Dressing even though some see it as being weaker than some/all of their prior albums, especially Presents Of Mind. If you liked the general sound of Tiles, definitely check out that album. It's as good, to me, as WD is, which was definitely a grower for me, but it's definitely one of my favorite modern-prog albums.

Great game, SI, and thanks BrotherH! It was a lot of fun and I'm glad I could make it to the end! IQ is a great band and while their sound hasn't strayed too far from their original 80's Neo-Prog sound, they still manage to sound fresh with every release. They're definitely worth checking out their entire studio discography!

-Marc.