Author Topic: Sigz's Top 50 Albums  (Read 124238 times)

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
Re: Sigz's Top 50 Albums
« Reply #175 on: February 07, 2011, 04:00:29 AM »
ZOMG UPDATE

32. Thrice- The Artist in the Ambulance: Probably the best post-hardcore album in existence, The Artist in the Ambulance is absolutely stunning. While the songs aren't quite as diverse as Thrice's later material, they're all brilliantly written, and serve to foreshadow what the band would be able to accomplish in the future.

31. Chroma Key - You Go Now: Atmospheric and subtle, You Go Now is a melancholic trip that you never want to end. Kevin Moore's minimal piano work is never at the forefront (except in Lunar), but is definitely a highlight for me, especially the break in When You Drive. His use of samples is always perfect as well, accenting and even making the song and never sounding out of place; tall order as I usually am not a fan of samples in music.

30. SikTh - The Trees Are All Dead & Dried Out: And now for something completely different. The Trees Are All Dead... is an absolute beast of an album. Well, maybe beast isn't the correct word, maybe like... mongoose? Anyways, it's psychotic and lightning-paced and will absolutely end your life in the best way possible. While the album's kinda dragged down by Tupelo and Can't We All Dream? The rest of the album is so good that it's doesn't matter.

The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #176 on: February 07, 2011, 04:05:24 AM »
Thrice  :tup

Offline Portrucci

• Fission Mailed
  • You're just another hero riding through the night
« Reply #177 on: February 07, 2011, 04:25:54 AM »
Chroma Key  :tup You Go Now is terrific.

But I prefer Graveyard Mountain Home. Which might be in my top 5, or top 10 best albums of all time. Kevin Moore's use of samples and his minimalist keyboard style just really hits me emotionally for some reason. Also, The Artist in The Ambulance might be my favourite Thrice album. But I say that to myself everytime I hear a respective Thrice album  :lol
on par with the anguish one would have from getting unconsensually bent over and buttloved.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #178 on: February 07, 2011, 05:08:37 AM »

But I prefer Graveyard Mountain Home. Which might be in my top 5, or top 10 best albums of all time. Kevin Moore's use of samples and his minimalist keyboard style just really hits me emotionally for some reason. Also, The Artist in The Ambulance might be my favourite Thrice album. But I say that to myself everytime I hear a respective Thrice album  :lol

+1 for GMH
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline Arch Benemy

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #179 on: February 07, 2011, 09:14:49 AM »
For me Tupelo is the only 'low' point on TTADADOWFSW, but it is a cover and not an original song. I still enjoy it though. You've got no excuse for not like Can't We All Dream? however, that track is fantastic! Yeah the intro and outtro are a bit long, but Mikee's vocals are absolutely majestic and the 7/8 groove works with the music and atmosphere perfectly. Glad to see the album on the list though, it is mind-blowing and would be top 10 for me

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #180 on: February 07, 2011, 01:42:21 PM »
Thrice and SikTh are incredible!! :tup I still need to check out that Chroma Key album.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #181 on: February 07, 2011, 02:52:17 PM »
edit: ignore this.  supposed to go in other thread.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #182 on: February 07, 2011, 08:19:41 PM »

I prefer Graveyard Mountain Home too! But hey, any Chroma Key to make it this high on an eclectic albums list is great anyway.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #183 on: February 07, 2011, 09:01:26 PM »
For me Tupelo is the only 'low' point on TTADADOWFSW, but it is a cover and not an original song. I still enjoy it though. You've got no excuse for not like Can't We All Dream? however, that track is fantastic! Yeah the intro and outtro are a bit long, but Mikee's vocals are absolutely majestic and the 7/8 groove works with the music and atmosphere perfectly. Glad to see the album on the list though, it is mind-blowing and would be top 10 for me

I'm with Sigz on this one, Ben.  The one-two fail of Tupelo and Can't We All Dream bring it down a lot.  Death of a Dead Day is the best them anyways :metal

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #184 on: February 11, 2011, 07:39:42 PM »
I quite love Tupelo and Can't We All Dream?... I think it's just different from the rest, but it's still very good!

Also, UPDATE!!! :P

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #185 on: February 12, 2011, 02:39:13 AM »
Yar, gief update.

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #186 on: February 13, 2011, 06:27:16 AM »
Sorry, I've been really busy this week and not in a writing mood. I'll try to get one done tonight  :-\

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #187 on: February 14, 2011, 09:23:23 AM »
27. Kaki King -Dreaming of Revenge: The first Kaki King song I heard was “Playing with Pink Noise” on Later with Jools Holland. I then got her newest album (at the time), expecting more of that. Instead I got some of the most beautiful, dreamy, ethereal pop I've heard, all underlayed by fantastic guitar work that's interesting all on it's own. Kaki's soft, subdued vocals fit the music perfectly, and as a whole package it's near perfect. Mellow, bluesy guitar lines, soft ballads, and flashy acoustic guitar work – what's not to love?

28. Continuum - Continuum II : Continuum II is, without a doubt, the best piece of drone/noise I have ever heard. While I've always praised Construct IV for absolutely decimating your eardrums, special props have to go to Contruct VI for decimating your state of mind; the last half of the song is essentially the soundtrack to a Lovecraft story. Construct V has the problem of being in between two of the most incredible sonic experiences ever, but is still good. As a whole the album is one of the most intense listening experiences of my life, and I wish I could place it even higher than this.

29. Ellen Allien - Berlinette: Simply put, one of the best IDM albums ever (whatever the fuck IDM means). Ellen's vocals really add a lot to the album, but even instrumentally speaking it's near perfect, with a wonderful variety in sounds, interesting beats, and a distinct sense of melody.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #188 on: February 14, 2011, 09:27:57 AM »
1. Got the discography with Kaki King on my computer, haven't listened yet.
Now I got a good album recommendation for where to begin though, so sounds good.  :tup

2. I was hunting down Continuum-stuff or almost a year, before I realized that I actually had it, though it was labeled as "Bass Communion - Continuum" for some reason.
Haven't had time to listen to it yet, but I will.  :hat

3. Heard a lot of good stuff about Ellen Allien, sadly I haven't heard any of the music.
Will check it out though.  :tup

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #189 on: February 14, 2011, 10:12:52 AM »
Make sure it's Continuum II, not I; I is nowhere near the level of II.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #190 on: February 14, 2011, 10:31:20 AM »
I have both, but I'll make sure of it.  :tup

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #191 on: February 14, 2011, 07:14:59 PM »
K.King :tup

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #192 on: February 14, 2011, 07:16:52 PM »
So this makes three bands I know of called Continuum...

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #193 on: February 14, 2011, 07:38:49 PM »
I agree Sigz, I is relatively uninteresting compared to II. II is just one of the best things ever.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #194 on: February 14, 2011, 07:44:21 PM »
Kaki  :heart :heart :heart :heart :heart :heart :heart :heart :heart :heart :heart :heart :heart :heart :heart :heart :heart :heart :heart :heart

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #195 on: February 19, 2011, 06:03:12 AM »
Alright, I'm finally done with work for a bit, so I can finish this bitch up with a more consistent schedule I think.

26. Tool - Lateralus: I'm not really sure what to say about this album to be honest. It's really, really, really fucking good. And Adam Jones is a very underrated guitarist. That is all.

25. Steven Wilson - Insurgentes: For a long time leading I wanted to hear something from Steven Wilson that combined a lot of the different areas of music he creates in, and that's exactly what this album delivered, and then some. What consistently impresses me about Insurgentes is just how concise it feels. There's a brilliant range of music on display, but it never feels disjointed or scatterbrained. SW often talks about making an album that actually feels like a album and not just a collection of songs, and his own solo album is probably one of the best examples of that around.

24. Ulver - Perdition City: Pretty much the best album to listen to while walking down an empty city street at night and smoking a cigarette, Ulver's fifth release is their strongest to date (though Blood Inside comes damn close). Combining elements of electronic music, trip hop, ambient, and jazz with a healthy dose of film noir stylings, Perdition City is dark and hard boiled, yet oh so smooth. It does feel like it could use a little editing, primarily because the sound is so focused and refined that it's a pretty intense listen. Despite that, it's a release that any fan of atmospheric and textural music should have.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #196 on: February 19, 2011, 06:08:20 AM »
The Ulver and Tool albums are both amazing! I haven't actually heard the SW though, shockingly enough.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #197 on: February 19, 2011, 06:09:26 AM »
WAT

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #198 on: February 19, 2011, 06:21:29 AM »
I know, it's shameful. :sadpanda:

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #199 on: February 19, 2011, 07:08:20 AM »
Change that, Rich!
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #200 on: February 19, 2011, 07:17:25 AM »
All great albums, though Insurgentes and Perdition City are shockingly low.

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #201 on: February 19, 2011, 07:58:00 AM »
3 great albums indeed. Though Blood Inside would be in my top 5 probably.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #202 on: February 19, 2011, 11:45:25 AM »
Insurgentes would be in my top 20 I guess. I have a feeling it'll stay special for a longer time than most PT releases. While I think PT is a lot more accessible and a lot more fun to listen to on a daily basis. Wouldn't want to hear 'Insurgentes' every day, it's way too spaced out and powerful for that.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #203 on: February 19, 2011, 12:26:26 PM »
Insurgentes is one of those albums I listen to on a whim for some odd reason and I forget how amazing it is until it finishes.  Then I gush about it for a while and then forget again.  Its kind of shameful.  I feel like its still growing on me after all those years, though.

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #204 on: February 19, 2011, 12:27:59 PM »
Listening to it for the first time while going through the book that came with the limited edition was magical.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #205 on: February 19, 2011, 12:32:43 PM »
I feel like I'm bound to enjoy that record someday; I just don't know when that day will come

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #206 on: February 19, 2011, 12:34:41 PM »
Pretty sweet list so far. Looking forward to the rest.

I expect a NIN album or two to be on here  ;) If not, I will cry like a woman.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #207 on: February 22, 2011, 07:40:13 AM »
Update?

Oh and Insurgentes is no good. Sorry, big old PT fan here, very big Bass Communion fan, really a fanboy of no-man, but Insurgentes does nothing for me.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #208 on: February 22, 2011, 09:10:46 AM »
Update?

Oh and Insurgentes is no good. Sorry, big old PT fan here, very big Bass Communion fan, really a fanboy of no-man, but Insurgentes does nothing for me.

Take the semen out of your ears.
space cadet, pull out.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #209 on: February 22, 2011, 09:42:01 AM »
How do you know?  :-[